Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The three things that have most freaked me out: Jaws, (aged 8, actual proper nightmares), Threads (about 16 I think, freaked the whole school out) and the aforementioned Ghostwatch. Brrr

Threads, you definitely have to take a few days off afterwards just to recover from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/01/david-mitchell-robert-webb-on-peep-show-we-just-wanted-to-milk-it-interview

wall to wall peep show coverage before the final series kicks off next week

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Beens posted:

Halloween is poo poo and should be expunged from our lands. We celebrate a terrorist trying to blow up the government a few days later, that should be enough.
I think we celebrate him getting caught and hosed up by the state more than the attempt to be fair.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

All but forgotten this hadn't ended, so hyped! Can't believe it's been 12 years...

I wonder how much of the show was originally going to show trams for C4 to step in. We were so close to a tram comedy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Ghostwatch was great. The cupboard under the stairs was referred to as a glory hole throughout and nobody so much as smirked. The show makes for especially hilarious viewing if you think of Pipes as Jimmy Saville.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Crack posted:

All but forgotten this hadn't ended, so hyped! Can't believe it's been 12 years...

I wonder how much of the show was originally going to show trams for C4 to step in. We were so close to a tram comedy.

I really do wonder what it'll be like. I feel Peep Show is one of those shows that stayed good even after so many series but I really didn't enjoy the last episode of series 8.
It just felt vaguely too ridiculous. And it means no Dobby in series 9 as well presumably.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Threads, you definitely have to take a few days off afterwards just to recover from.
Threads had a profound effect on me when I saw it as a teenager (I was a spritely 1 year old when it was released) - I didn't think it was possible for a film to be bleaker.

Then I watched "The Day After", which is essentially the US version of Threads.

Although, there wasn't anything in The Day After that sticks in my head the same way the old lady pissing herself in the street does.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
There's a new series of Detectorists, which I quite liked.

Also, the new David Attenborough thing is excellent as usual.There's a bit involving a mantis with some perfect comedic timing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've just stumbled across Quizuem on BBC4. Basing a quiz show around museum artefacts seems like a great idea but there's something about the tone and pacing that is all off.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Anyone watch BBC3's Sex on Trial? I think it was actually quite a decent program- sure, the yoofs on the show were idiotic at times, but they're meant to be. Amazing that some of the panel were more concerned about the rapist's rights at the end of the show.

The best part was one girl who said it wasn't fair that he would go to prison for rape, as he'd "get locked up with murderers and....", rapists, the word she was going to say was "rapists". Her head must have been spinning at that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've just stumbled across Quizuem on BBC4. Basing a quiz show around museum artefacts seems like a great idea but there's something about the tone and pacing that is all off.

Is there a second season? Do they still focus on dirty stuff? The 1st season had as a featured artefact a roman plate featuring a guy whose heads was made entirely out of dicks.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I liked the idea behind Quizeum, but the pacing was really wierd.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Apparently it is a new series. Looks like the first episode has the historian who a goon knows is on it, she was the best one on the last series.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Squalitude posted:

Anyone watch BBC3's Sex on Trial? I think it was actually quite a decent program- sure, the yoofs on the show were idiotic at times, but they're meant to be. Amazing that some of the panel were more concerned about the rapist's rights at the end of the show.

The best part was one girl who said it wasn't fair that he would go to prison for rape, as he'd "get locked up with murderers and....", rapists, the word she was going to say was "rapists". Her head must have been spinning at that.

I got too annoyed with a decent amount of people on the show saying in no uncertain terms, forcing your penis into an unwilling woman's mouth isn't rape because <x> and turned it off.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

My main memory of the episode I saw from the first season is that it was weirdly shot. It also felt a bit like they were expecting the tone to be there without actually finding it. Like they'd just written "insert relaxed banter" at various points in the script.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

goatface posted:

My main memory of the episode I saw from the first season is that it was weirdly shot. It also felt a bit like they were expecting the tone to be there without actually finding it. Like they'd just written "insert relaxed banter" at various points in the script.

I just thought it was all quite boring. Nothing they said about the items went beyond what you could read about them on a little inscription in a museum. Unless you're really into history there was no real way to play along with them either, which is half the fun with quiz shows, so that probably dampened my enthusiasm for it too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Squalitude posted:

Just watched it, how hilarious yet sad that after the first video the guys are like 'yeah it's rape' except for the nerdy goon.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Only Connect has officially started taking the piss with its missing vowels round: Film Titles Decreased By One
Snow White and the Six Dwarfs
The Six Year Itch
Nine-hundred and ninety-nine thousand nine-hundred and ninety nine Dollar Baby

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Only Connect has officially started taking the piss with its missing vowels round: Film Titles Decreased By One
Snow White and the Six Dwarfs
The Six Year Itch
Nine-hundred and ninety-nine thousand nine-hundred and ninety nine Dollar Baby

Really sorry I missed this one. I turned on at half eight and got Nigella using a load of words that seem unnatural coming out of her mouth while tipping oil out of a bottle like it's the first time.

Watching the rape trial thing now. 10 minutes in. Couldn't believe how clear cut a rape case it was. And yet...here are some lads with bad faces going 'yeah but'

oh god and now some of the girls are going 'yeah well'

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not surprised. When I was in secondary school in the years of 99 to 04 our social education lessons comprised of cramming the entire class into the assembly hall and getting 'here is a video, watch it and try and learn something' followed by a brief Q&A.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Padje posted:

Really sorry I missed this one. I turned on at half eight and got Nigella using a load of words that seem unnatural coming out of her mouth while tipping oil out of a bottle like it's the first time.

Watching the rape trial thing now. 10 minutes in. Couldn't believe how clear cut a rape case it was. And yet...here are some lads with bad faces going 'yeah but'

oh god and now some of the girls are going 'yeah well'

Just watched the first quarter of an hour. It's so sad when that girl says "well we've all been in the position when a guy is trying to get us to do something and we don't want to but in the end it's easier to just say "go on then"". Like it's just the way the world works - the sky is blue, the grass is green, boys will try and stick their penises in your mouth when you don't want them to.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not surprised. When I was in secondary school in the years of 99 to 04 our social education lessons comprised of cramming the entire class into the assembly hall and getting 'here is a video, watch it and try and learn something' followed by a brief Q&A.

I went to Catholic school, so rape could not exist in a world where sex did not.

I'm still getting through it. No matter how young or drunk I was I never would've behaved like the rapist, with his obscene sense of entitlement.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Just watched the first quarter of an hour. It's so sad when that girl says "well we've all been in the position when a guy is trying to get us to do something and we don't want to but in the end it's easier to just say "go on then"". Like it's just the way the world works - the sky is blue, the grass is green, boys will try and stick their penises in your mouth when you don't want them to.

Yeah, I think a lot of teenage girls take on that kind of thinking because it's an easier way of dealing with poo poo than actually acknowledging it for what it is :smith:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
It stood out to me in Sex on Trial that one of them referred to the rapist as 'the main character', as if it was a drama about his tragic struggle against an unjust accusation rather than about a woman trying to convict her goddamn rapist. And even after watching Tom blatantly lie his way through the trial, with extra video clips showing her upset face, some of them still didn't class it as rape :psyduck:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Just turned over to Great British Pottery Throwdown, to see the blokey judge start to blubber uncontrollably.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it being judged by Johnny Vegas?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Rarity posted:

Just watched it, how hilarious yet sad that after the first video the guys are like 'yeah it's rape' except for the nerdy goon.

Yep, he was so much like your stereotypical teenager-MRA-in-training "what about the mens" I thought he was trolling (nah, he was just truly terrible).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't watched that rape thing because the trailers made it seem very BBC3, but does it really revolve around a guy just mashing his chungus into a sleeping woman's mouth? Because that's clearcut rapey. How could anyone be confused about that? I was expecting the usual scenario for these types of programme where the woman is too drunk to properly consent, which is also obviously rape.

Unless there's a plot twist where she's explicitly told him ahead of time that she wants to wake up to a crusty pillow, it's pretty loving unambiguous.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 4, 2015

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Rarity posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of teenage girls take on that kind of thinking because it's an easier way of dealing with poo poo than actually acknowledging it for what it is :smith:

Yeah that's exactly it. I can't even watch the show because I know the terrible mental gymnastics people will go through to justify this poo poo.

I'm glad they used oral rape as an example because I'm sure a huge percentage of people don't even see it as full rape.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

GazChap posted:

Threads had a profound effect on me when I saw it as a teenager (I was a spritely 1 year old when it was released) - I didn't think it was possible for a film to be bleaker.

Then I watched "The Day After", which is essentially the US version of Threads.

Although, there wasn't anything in The Day After that sticks in my head the same way the old lady pissing herself in the street does.

I was more perturbed by the umbilical cord scene. We were heartless kids and nearly pissed ourselves when the lady wet herself.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Anne Sellors in her first and only screen performance as 'woman who urinates.'

I remember that scene being well received by the class when we were at school.

My parents were nearly in Threads, as it was mostly CND volunteers. But by the time they went, the producers only wanted amputees for the post-event scenes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Have you guys seen Pick Me? It is incredibly 90s and camp and I love it. :laugh:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I see the BBC Iplayer Store is now live.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It looks like ~£8 a series and ~£2 an episode, so I can't see myself using it much. I'm going to blame the other broadcasters bitching for it not being free, even if it isn't true. :argh: Fuckers! :argh:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

XMNN posted:

It looks like ~£8 a series and ~£2 an episode, so I can't see myself using it much. I'm going to blame the other broadcasters bitching for it not being free, even if it isn't true. :argh: Fuckers! :argh:

It also uses Silverlight, which is terrible, and you have to play downloaded episodes through the BBC Store program/app which is also not good.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

XMNN posted:

It appears to be available internationally, so maybe it'll be more popular there? The prices are a couple of quid cheaper than iTunes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh gently caress I'm rewatching Peep Show and the internal monologues are way closer to my own thoughts now than they were a decade ago. That's a bad sign.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Oh gently caress I'm rewatching Peep Show and the internal monologues are way closer to my own thoughts now than they were a decade ago. That's a bad sign.

"The familiar gut punch of pain and confusion is back. Hello, old friend." is one of the greatest lines in anything ever.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

lionlegs posted:

It appears to be available internationally, so maybe it'll be more popular there? The prices are a couple of quid cheaper than iTunes.
Fair enough, although I wouldn't use iTunes either.

It's not hugely unreasonable, but you can usually get box sets with more series in for the same sort of price. For example, there are the last 2 series of Blackadder currently available on there for £8 each but you can buy the DVD set of all 4 series plus whatever extras for £15 quid on Amazon. Plus, you'll have actual physical media rather than having to deal with Silverlight.

Like it might be useful for some things, but I can see myself never using it. At least if it sucks in money off foreigners it will make the BBC less vulnerable to the governments fuckery, although between this and the proposed privatisation of whatever content production they'll probably end up selling the whole thing off anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they make money they'll have their funding cut because they obviously don't need it.
If they don't make money they'll have their funding cut because they're not producing high enough quality product that people are willing to pay for it.