Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Left west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mandatory do-we-end-up-at-116? roll: 3. Not this time.

Section 93 posted:

You seem to have been walking forever when you reach the western coast. A bit of disappointment that since there was absolutely nothing of interest to you along the way.

All the same, there is a boat here, a trim little vessel painted black (for some reason) and decorated with curious symbols. You examine it carefully, noting it has no sail or oars. It seems seaworthy enough if you could find some means of propelling it. Wonder who left it here?

If you decide to enter the black boat, go to 166.
If not, you'll have to trudge all the way back to 127 and pick another option.

(Note that going at 127 and picking either north or east involves two do-we-end-up-at-116? rolls, since we can't go to the other sections directly from here.)

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 33 / 32+1
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 0
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x6, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), can carry two more items from the storeroom
STATUS EFFECTS: none
TREASURE: 950 gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces, 20 gold nuggets worth 450 gold pieces each (9,000 gold pieces total)
EMPLOYEES: none

Death Roll posted:

Death the First: Snacked on by Babysaurus Rex

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 16, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
In that case, we might as well get in the deathtrap boat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It sounds like the sort of thing that might be the grim reaper's special express to 14, but it is an adventure and we wish to have it. 166.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Pip is an experienced seafarer by now. Pip fears not this boat.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We're still technically on Maiden Call, so another roll to see if we end up at 116 ensues!

Roll: 1, that's as far from 6 as we could possibly get.

Section 166 posted:

No sooner have you stepped into the boat than it pulls away from the shore at a truly alarming rate of knots ... so suddenly, in fact, that you sit down in the stem on your stem quite painfully. By the time you recover your composure, you are heading for a fog bank, but you can see no way of stopping your craft (let alone see what is propelling it at this fantastic rate).

Frantically you search about in the boat for the secret of its controls and for a moment you think you have found it in the shape of what might be a piece of magical parchment stowed away under the seat. But there is no spell written here, although there is a very curious series of diagrams drawn on it. Frowning as you try to make sense of the diagrams, you unfold the parchment, but it gets bigger and bigger until it is so big and flapping so much that you are forced to fold it up again.

By the time you finish messing about with the parchment, you have entered the fog bank; and after a moment of mind- wrenching confusion find yourself beached on a tiny rock almost too small to be called an island and certainly not shown on your Sea Chart. The black boat is nowhere to be seen. Nor is anything else for that matter except the folded parchment which is still clutched in your hand.

If you're not very careful you could find your next stop is 14. However, a seasoned young sea dog like yourself is nothing if not resourceful. You consider the situation carefully until curiosity impels you to examine the parchment diagrams again. To your intense delight, they are instructions for making a boat. Complicated instructions, to be sure, but in your present situation, anything that gives you a boat is better than nothing.

Study the diagrams on Appendix, p. 223 and if you can follow them well enough to make yourself a paper boat, you may retum to the Argo and pick a destination from your Sea Chart. Furthermore, you may if you wish, take the folding boat with you on any subsequent trip to an island and use it to sail directly to the next nearest island when you have finished without the need to check for Cross -Eyed Navigation!

If you can't manage to make yourself a paper boat, you will rot on this island until exposure, exhaustion and starvation carry your wasted corpse to the gloomy depths of 14.

We'd better take a look at those diagrams right away!

Did you get all that? Good, because it's time for :siren: audience partecipation! :siren:

Your task this time is simple: make a boat! You have until I'm ready to update again (probably sometimes near the middle of next week - busy weeked and weekstart) to deliver a picture of your best effort.

If nobody does, unfortunately, it means we'll have to castaway it on this rock until death finds us and takes to 14.

Good luck, goons!

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x6, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: 950 gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces, 20 gold nuggets worth 450 gold pieces each (9,000 gold pieces total)

Death Roll posted:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This doesn't look so bad. Let's see...

Looks okay...

The alleged "sails" come up easily enough...

Let's see how seaworthy it is!

Oh.

Yeah, I think we might have drowned.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, origami. These books seem to find a way to do some arts and crafts somehow.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

Oh.

Yeah, I think we might have drowned.

It's a fine vessel. Your last photo illustrates the hull-down stealth mode.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
Yarr, ye scurvy landlubbers, it's time for a true seafarer to show you how it's done!

Your Cap'n is here to save young Pip.

Sure, it doesn't look like much, but is it seaworthy?

Success, it floats!

And Pip wouldn't even need to bail water. Now that's what I call shipshape.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

But is it a blue or a purple boat?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
That origami paper is purple, but you can call it whatever you like.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's clearly white with gold stripes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Welcome back! Did you have a fun weekend and weekstart? I sure did, and while I did I was phonereading this thread and I've only one comment to make:

:swoon:

This went way better than I expected :allears:

vancho1 and inflatablefish, your posts have really made the thread! :)

Now, where did we leave off? According to the last Section we were in we're back aboard the Argo, but we're far from finished with Maiden Call, so let's head back there! We still need to roll for Cross-Eyed Navigation, since the boats we've made will only take us to the next nearest island without a roll, so here goes: 6 + 5 = 11, we haven't got nothing to worry about. Now we're back at Maiden Call's shore, and once again we step off the Argo onto dry land:

Section 111 posted:

Boldly done. Now let's see if it was also wisely done.

As you step ashore, you feel yourself compelled to roll one die. If the score is 5 or 6, turn, directly to 116. If the score is anything else, turn to 127.

And it's back to rolling to see if we end up at 116. Roll: 2, nope.

Section 127 posted:

Nothing much in the way of noticeable features on this island, so there is little to choose when it comes to deciding on a direction. Since you have landed on the south coast, you can explore north at 81, west at 93 or east at 170.

But remember that each time you wish to enter a new section of this island, you will feel yourself compelled to roll a die. If you score a 6, you must turn to 116 instead of the section you had decided on. (Score anything else and you can go to the section of your choice.)

If all this seems too much of a hassle, you can always return to your Sea Chart and pick another destination.

Last time we voted to go west, and over there we found the black boat that took us to the rock in the middle of nowhere. But we did also get a vote for north, so let's try to go north this time.

Roll: 1, still safe (I think? We still don't know what Section 116 entails.)

Section 81 posted:

Trudge trudge trudge... Northwards you go, with no company other than the sound of the birds in the branches, hassling interminably about who owns the particular tree.

Trudge trudge trudge . . . Still nothing of interest. This is the sort of place that could bore you to death.

'I say, you down there!'

You stop abruptly and look around. There is no one in sight.

'Up here,' calls the voice. 'Up above you.'

You look up into the branches of an overhanging tree, but there is no one there. Frowning, you look around you again.

'No, no - up here!' insists the voice.

You look up again, but there is no one in the branches except a pair of small, dun-coloured birds. You look around you again.

'I say, will you kindly have the decency to look at me while I'm talking to you!'

It's one of the birds! One of the birds is talking to you!

'I'm sorry,' you say, wondering if it could be an oddly shaped parrot. 'I didn't realize it was you.'

'Quite all right, Old Thing. I was just wondering if you could settle an argument between my colleague and myself.'

'I'll certainly try,' you tell the little bird, bemused by this turn of events.

'Well,' says the bird, 'we got tired of squabbling about who owns this stupid branch, so we set to discussing classical mythology. (We're extremely well-educated birds, you appreciate.) Specifically, we set to discussing the Cyclops. You've heard of the Cyclops, haven't you?'

'Yes,' you say, poker-faced.

'Most interesting chappie,' continues the little bird, 'and quite an ornithologist in his own small way. However, after we'd discussed the Cyclops for a little while, we had a minor disagreement. We could not decide how many eyes he has.' The bird cocks its head to one side and regards you beadily. 'Can you help us?'

'Yus,' puts in the second bird before you have time to answer. 'Orl we want to know is 'ow many eyes this Cyclist bloke 'as. If you can tell us the right answer, we'll tell you 'ow to get yer grubby little 'ands on somefing valuable.'

You stare at these two peculiar birds, trying to remember all you ever learned about the Cyclops.

If you think the monster has one eye, go to 99.
If you think he has two, go to 157.
If you think he has three, go to 181.

Well, how many eyes does a Cyclops have? (It's not that hard, we actually met the guy earlier in our adventure.)

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x6, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), :siren: inflatablefish's not-quite-seaworthy paper boat, vancho1's purple boat :siren:

Death Roll posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Unless this is some sort of trick question, I'm pretty sure the answer is one.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Unless this is some sort of trick question, I'm pretty sure the answer is one.

My thoughts precisely.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. This really smacks of trick question, but I can't think what the trick is. One.

I mean, unless they've got an elephant skull somewhere, in which case the "cyclops" actually has two eyes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

First, another roll to see if we end up at 116: 2, not this time either.

Second, was the question a trick question?

Section 99 posted:

By George!' exclaims the little bird. 'That is precisely the correct answer.'

'Yus, says the other little bird. 'Yus, I fink it is.'

You said something about telling me how to get my grubby little hands on something valuable,' you remind them.

'That is perfectly true as well,' says the first bird. It turns to look at its companion. 'You have it, don't you, Clarence?'

'Yes,' says Clarence. 'Yus, I do.' With which he flies down from the branch and drops a small gold key into your grubby little outstretched hand.

'Just a minute!' you call, as the other bird takes to wing. 'What's this key for?'

But both birds are disappearing swiftly upwards now. 'Can't stop. Got to migrate.'

Nothing else for it but to continue trudging, which will take you in a circle to 127 where you may pick another option.

Apparently it wasn't! :woop:

Now we're back at (roll for 116: 2) 127, and there's only one direction we haven't explored on this island: east to 170.

Roll: 6! And this time instead we're going to 116.

Section 116 posted:

You hear singing. It's quite the most beautiful singing you have ever heard. Seductive. Hypnotic. Charming. Thrilling. Compulsive. Irresistible. And very bad news, since it will keep you rooted to the spot, smiling inanely, until you starve to death.

This is the most pleasant way to reach 14 in the entire adventure.

:siren: Death the second: transfixed by a magic song and starved to death :siren:

That was unfortunate, but we had to roll a six sooner or later. Moving right along, I'll restore from just before we rolled that fatal six to keep this LP rolling along, so let's roll for LIFE POINTS: 2 + 4 = 6, 3 + 5 = 8, 1 + 4 = 5, we have 33 once again.

Now, do we end up at 170? Roll: 2, yes we do.

Section 170 posted:

You move eastwards, travelling for nearly twenty minutes until you find yourself approaching a huge stone statue, very similar in many respects, to those found on Easter Island. As you move closer, you discover that the mouth of this great head has been cleverly articulated so that it might, under certain circumstances, open and close in a lifelike manner. (Well, comparatively lifelike manner.)

As you move around to the back of the statue, you notice three levers set near its base. Above the levers a notice has been chiselled.

WARNING
ONLY ONE LEVER MAY BE
PULLED WITH SAFETY

Think on where you are, Wanderer. That which, if multiplied by five, then ten, then the same added, plus a further score, equates to your present location, will gain you ample reward for your insight. Aught else spells doom.

On closer inspection you find each lever has been numbered - 1 to 3.

But are you prepared to risk pulling one on the promise of 'ample reward'? Should you pull Lever 1, go to 202. Should you try Lever 2, go to 178. Should you reach for Lever 3, go to 186.

You may, of course, leave them all alone, in which case you may return to 127 and pick another direction, or return to your ship and find a new island on your Sea Chart.

Plus a score, eh? How much that was again? Four score and seven was how many?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key :siren: x7 :siren:, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), inflatablefish's not-quite-seaworthy paper boat, vancho1's purple boat

Roll of the Dead posted:

:siren: Death the second: transfixed by a magic song and starved to death :siren:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

That which, if multiplied by five, then ten, then the same added, plus a further score, equates to your present location, will gain you ample reward for your insight.

Let's see. We are on 170. A score is 20.

Possible answers are 1, 2 and 3. Let's try all of them

1 * 5 * 10 + 10 + 20 = 80, nope
2 * 5 * 10 + 10 + 20 = 130, no
3 * 5 * 10 + 10 + 20 = 180, close but no cigar.

There's no correct answer (well, it's 2.8 but that makes no sense). So either there's an error in the book here or I'm missing something obvious.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's no correct answer (well, it's 2.8 but that makes no sense). So either there's an error in the book here or I'm missing something obvious.

I guess if we assume that "the same added plus a further score" could be interpreted a little differently:

1 * 5 * 10 = 50. The same + 20 = 70
2 * 5 * 10 = 100. The same + 20 = 120
3 * 5 * 10 = 150. The same + 20 = 170.

With this approach the answer would be 3. I can't figure any other way to get 170 from 1, 2, or 3 using the provided instructions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
3 sounds alright.

Have we found a way to get to the center of the island yet? What does our path look like so far?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I guess if we assume that "the same added plus a further score" could be interpreted a little differently:

1 * 5 * 10 = 50. The same + 20 = 70
2 * 5 * 10 = 100. The same + 20 = 120
3 * 5 * 10 = 150. The same + 20 = 170.

With this approach the answer would be 3. I can't figure any other way to get 170 from 1, 2, or 3 using the provided instructions.

I have to disagree here. Since we're taking our number and multiplying it by 50, I think that "the same added" means add on an extra 50.

(1 * 50) + 50 + 20 = 120
(2 * 50) + 50 + 20 = 170
(3 * 50) + 50 + 20 = 220

So I'm going to go for Lever 2.

Suraht
Feb 12, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Unless "add the same" means to add another 5*10, then lever 2 works.

2(5 * 10) + (5 * 10) + 20 = 170

Otherwise, the puzzle is broken completely.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Section 116 posted:

You hear singing. It's quite the most beautiful singing you have ever heard. Seductive. Hypnotic. Charming. Thrilling. Compulsive. Irresistible. And very bad news, since it will keep you rooted to the spot, smiling inanely, until you starve to death.

This is the most pleasant way to reach 14 in the entire adventure.

I mean, an island named Maiden Call in an Ancient Greece setting, and a section you constantly had to make a dice check to avoid?

I'm pretty sure this isn't a surprise to anyone.

Good luck with the algebra puzzle, goons. I don't remember how I solved it (or even if I did).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

gently caress work. That is all.

Actual votes (the bolded ones) are tied for lever 2 and lever 3, but I'll be nice and count those who got the answer right without bolding as votes too. So lever 2 it is. (After we roll to see if the song affects us again, that is. Roll: 4, and we're safe.)

Section 178 posted:

With a grinding of hidden gears, the great mouth opens, spilling out no less than 3,500 gold pieces and a talisman which has the effect of subtracting one from an opponent's first dice roll during combat.

Pick up this interesting load of booty and return to 127 and pick another direction, or return to your ship and find a new island on your Sea Chart.

Once again, :signings:

And we're officially done with Maiden Call, since we don't have anywhere left to explore, so let's go back to the Argo.

Now, looking at the Sea Chart, the only places we haven't been to are Shipwreck Island, Lost Island and Demondim Isle; we know that Merlin's waiting for us on Lost Island, so let's keep that for last, and since we have two paper boat that will allow us to go straight from our location to the next nearest island let's go to Shipwreck Island this time! (Lovely name for an island, isn't it?)

Section 137 posted:

It's easy to see how this island got its name. As your golden vessel approaches, you can see the rotting hulls of scores of sailing ships which have run aground all along the rocky coastline. This is a positive ship's graveyard.

Cautiously you sail around the entire island, searching for a safe inlet. But everywhere seems to be rocks and reefs, white water and smashing waves. The island itself doesn't look too bad: in fact it is positively appealing, with rolling grassland, shady clumps of trees and the pleasant undulations of low, soft hills. But getting to it is a different matter. Getting to it is an invitation to disaster.

Sailing as close as you dare, you search for a passage which, if it would not take your ship, might still allow a rowboat to squeeze through. But there does not seem to be even this. You are just teetering on a decision to call this one quits and seek out another island when the voice of an Argonaut echoes down from the crow's nest:

'Sheep ahoy! Sheep ahoy!'

Sheep ahoy? Surely he means 'ship' ahoy?

He definitely said 'sheep'. Maybe he's a Mexican Argonaut. You scan the ocean, but there is no sign of any ship.

Suddenly you are surrounded by the remaining Argonauts, all of whom seem extremely excited.

"Look, Captain - look there!' says one delightedly. His name is Castor. (Or possibly Pollux. It's impossible to say which, since both are on the crew and both are identical twins.)

'What is it. Castor?' you ask.

'Pollux, actually. Captain. Look -' He points. You follow his finger and see, atop one of the gentle bills of Shipwreck Isle ... a golden sheep!

It's definitely a golden sheep all right. Even at this distance, its fleece glints with an unmistakable metallic sheen in the bright sunshine. What a remarkable animal. Heaven only knows what must be in the grass there. But you have heavier responsibilities than gawking at a gilded ewe. As Captain, it is your decision to risk a landing on this Isle or to search for safer havens.

If you decide to try to reach Shipwreck Isle, go to 49.
If you feel it makes more sense to try another destination, go to 37.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 1 :siren:
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x7, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), inflatablefish's not-quite-seaworthy paper boat, vancho1's purple boat, :siren: Magic Talisman (-1 to an opponent's first dice roll in combat) :siren:
TREASURE: :siren: 4450 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces, 20 gold nuggets worth 450 gold pieces each (9,000 gold pieces total)

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the second: transfixed by a magic song and starved to death

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Gold and cute animals, of course we must go to 49!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
T'would be unseemly to deny the Argonauts the opportunity to obtain a Golden Fleece. Head for the shore.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We're going in.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 49 posted:

'A Golden Sheep, eh?' you nod, narrowing your eyes shrewdly. You glance back towards the wreck- surrounded island where the Golden Sheep has now disappeared from sight. 'This wouldn't have anything to do with the special Quest you Argonauts set yourselves before I appeared on the scene, would it?'

'It would! It would!' shout the Argonauts delightedly.

'In point of fact,' says Jason, 'it is our appointed task to rescue the Golden Fleece - preferably with the sheep still inside - from King Colchis, a fearsome villain we all knew lived around here somewhere, although we didn't quite know where. We feel it our bounden Destiny to bring the Fleece back to Greece.'

'Why?' you ask curiously.

The Argonauts begin to giggle. 'Why? He asks why?' they mumble dehghtedly, one to another.

'Yes, why?' you ask again.

The giggling dies down to be replaced by growing frowns. After a while, Jason says uncertainly, 'I'm not quite sure. That's simply the way it has to be. I think it has something to do with Media.'

'Media?'

'Princess Media. King Colchis's beautiful daughter. You know how these Quests go. Handsome hero. Beautiful princess. Evil enemy. Golden sheep. They all work themselves out eventually and give the people something to talk about.' He gives a shy grin. 'I'm the handsome hero, actually. I suppose -' He blushes.'- the Gods have ordained I shall marry the beautiful princess.'

You place a friendly arm around his shoulder. 'In that case, Jason, we shall definitely have to get to that island and catch the Golden Sheep. I don't think we dare risk the ship any closer, but with luck the rowboat may make it through. I am willing to make the attempt and you, at least, shall certainly come with me.'

'Thank you, Captain! Thank you! Thank you!' And to your profound embarrassment. Argonaut Jason kisses you on both cheeks.

'Save that for the princess,' you tell him brusquely. 'Now let's get the boat launched and see if there is some way on to that island.'

Which you do. But now you need to turn to 39 to find out if there is any practical means of reaching the island.

Now for the first time one of the Argonauts (bunch of cowards, the lot of them) decided to actually come ashore with us. Would you look at that. Reminder, since it's been a while: Jason has 25 LIFE POINTS, hits on a 5, is armed with a sword (+3 damage), and wears the same Good Armour at us (-3 damage).

Section 39 posted:

You climb aboard the ship's rowboat and after a brief hassle with Jason about who should be stuck with the rowing (guess who loses?) you pull on the oars and move slowly in the direction of Shipwreck Isle.

At first your initial impressions seem well founded: there does not appear to be a single safe inlet for your craft. But as you draw closer, a strange thing happens. The rotting wrecks, clinging like smashed skeletons to the wicked reefs, begin to shimmer slightly.

'Did you see that?' you ask Jason.

'See what?' asks the Argonaut.

'Nothing,' you tell him, realizing he won't be paying much attention with his head full of golden sheep and beautiful princesses. But you watch the wrecks carefully and no more than a dozen oar strokes later, you can see the nearest of them suddenly disappear. Even more remarkable, the reef on which it was broken disappears as well, leaving a clear stretch of calm sea.

You shake your head to clear it, but the sea in that direction is definitely calm. What's more, several other more distant wrecks are fading out as well, so that after a few moments, you are rowing towards a delightful sunlit isle entirely surrounded by calm, clear seas, with not a wreck in sight. What is happening here? Everyone saw the wrecks and now they are gone! But gone they are, quite definitely. It is not your imagination for you are now rowing through the stretch where the reefs used to be and rowing with no trouble at all.

Eventually the boat grounds on a white sand beach. 'Oh good, you got us through the reefs,' remarks Jason as you ship the oars. With a deep sigh, you make the boat secure and look around you. This really is a very pleasant island. Beyond the beach, across some rocks, the fertile grasslands begin, studded with copses of fine trees.

You climb with Jason on to the rocks and, with the advantage of height, you can now see a number of well-made roads within quite easy reach. One wends its way to an imposing mansion set almost on the shore a little further down. Another leads to a grimly imposing castle set atop one of the hills. Another passes close by a small farm. Another leads directly into a village where, so far as you can tell from this distance, some sort of activity is going on. Paths branching from the roadways lead towards a deserted cottage, a well of some description and a still, dark lake.

What a choice. Have a little confab with Jason, then decide where you will go.

To reach the mansion by the shore, go to 51.
To reach the castle, go to 61.
To reach the farm, go to 112.
To reach the village, go to 65.
To reach the cottage, go to 120.
To reach the well, go to 97.
To reach the lake, go to 88.

Alternatively, you may simply return to your ship and pick another destination.

Lots of options this time. What will it be?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: 1
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x7, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), inflatablefish's not-quite-seaworthy paper boat, vancho1's purple boat, Magic Talisman (-1 to an opponent's first dice roll in combat)
TREASURE: 4450 gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces, 20 gold nuggets worth 450 gold pieces each (9,000 gold pieces total)

Roll of the Dead posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sheep can often be found on farms.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Maybe we can get at least a bit of intel from the farm without too much risk.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 112 posted:

What a pleasantly bucolic scene! What a peaceful rural setting! There are chickens pecking in the yard and cattle grazing in the meadow. It reminds you so much of home (your home in Avalon, that is, on the farm of Freeman John and Goodwife Mary near Glastonbury) that a nostalgic tear wells up in your eye.

A rosy-cheeked woman in a green apron, who has been scattering com for the chickens from an earthenware bowl glances up smiling at your approach. "My, oh my!' she says. 'Visitor, and me with only my work clothes on! Will you come in and have a bite to eat and drink?'

You glance at Jason, who nods enthusiastically, doubtless thinking a bit of home cooking would make a nice change from ship's rations.

All the same, something tells you this may not be quite such an idyllic setting as it seems. Maybe it's the way those chickens are eyeing you hungrily. Maybe it's the glint in the rosy woman's eye. Or maybe it's just the fact that everything you do these days seems to end you up in big trouble.

Do you accept the woman's invitation? If so, go to 132.

Do you refuse? If so go to 140.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x7, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), Cricri bird egg x6 (heals poison when eaten with purple spinach), inflatablefish's not-quite-seaworthy paper boat, vancho1's purple boat, Magic Talisman (-1 to an opponent's first dice roll in combat)
TREASURE: 4450 gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces, 20 gold nuggets worth 450 gold pieces each (9,000 gold pieces total)

Roll of the Dead posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Tea with the hag!

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Tea with the hag and the customary Grailquest Killer Chickens!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It would be ungallant and unbecoming of a knight not to accept the invitation to this obvious trap.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Jason will probably goof it up if we don't go with him. Let us accept the obvious maybe trap.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 132 posted:

You begin to feel much more reassured as you enter the farm kitchen. There is much scrubbed pine furniture in evidence here and the smell of newly baked scones hangs heavily in the summer air.

The rosy-cheeked woman fusses around you in that motherly fashion which is extremely pleasant so long as you don't experience it very often, sitting you down and producing a plate of scones, some home-made cake and a jug of heady purple wine, this being the local substitute for tea.

'Eat hearty! she invites. 'Eat hearty.'

Never one to resist a scone for long - especially the home-made type with little dried grapes in them - you tuck in with a vengeance, taking a deep draught of the purple wine to wash it down. It's strong wine, for your head begins to spin almost immediately.

'It's strong wine,' you remark to the woman, who seems to be watching you closely as you sink slowly into darkness.

Keep sinking until you reach the confines of 114.

Sometimes an obvious trap is exactly what it seems, i.e. an obvious trap.

Section 114 posted:

You are in a darkened cell, no more than 10'x 10' in size. By dint of scrabbling around a bit you find the only door, which is locked.

And you have one chance only to try to pick the lock. Throw two dice to determine how difficult the lock is to pick. Make a note of your score. Now throw again. If you throw less on your second throw than your first, then you are unable to pick the lock. (This is bad news since it means you will eventually starve all the way to 14.) If your second throw is higher than your first, then the door swings open allowing you to nip off to 159. If your second throw is exactly equal to your first then you may try a second time.

Lock difficulty roll: 1 + 2 = 3.
Lockpicking roll: 3 + 2 = 5. We're off to 159.

Section 159 posted:

Ah, freedom! There's nothing like a good escape to get the old adrenalin flowing. You bound away gaily to 39 where you may pick any of the options given there.

And we're back at 39, where we landed on this island. As a reminder, the options:

Section 39 posted:

To reach the mansion by the shore, go to 51.
To reach the castle, go to 61.
To reach the farm, go to 112.
To reach the village, go to 65.
To reach the cottage, go to 120.
To reach the well, go to 97.
To reach the lake, go to 88.

Alternatively, you may simply return to your ship and pick another destination.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Let's try the lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Like any self-respecting hero going through an odyssey (ho ho ho) of island hopping, we have escaped a death trap.

She has violated xenia by drugging and imprisoning us. The Olympian Gods Demand Reprisal. Go back to the cottage and handle business :black101:

• Locked thread