Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Did Jambalaya this afternoon.

Toasting the rice...it makes a difference.

I was informed, that if you put tomatoes in it you are wrong, whelp, color me wrong.

Finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Made kouign amann. Think croissant dough rolled in sugar then crammed into a muffin tin so it stays super dense and moist in the middle and caramelizes on the outside. So ridic.

Jesus christ, those look so good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If the croissant is the model chick who is the envy of everyone who sees you walking her hand in hand, kouign amann is the pretty, zaftig brunette with more than ample curves that has all the things about the croissant you love, just more of them.

It's more of a large, flaky, lardy cake the way I've seen it in Brittany. Also it positively must be made with salty, tangy butter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

If the croissant is the model chick who is the envy of everyone who sees you walking her hand in hand, kouign amann is the pretty, zaftig brunette with more than ample curves that has all the things about the croissant you love, just more of them.

It's more of a large, flaky, lardy cake the way I've seen it in Brittany. Also it positively must be made with salty, tangy butter.

Yeah this is definitely the lighter, American version. Good cultured salted butter is definitely a must. I cultured my own cream and doubled the salt for these.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Made kouign amann. Think croissant dough rolled in sugar then crammed into a muffin tin so it stays super dense and moist in the middle and caramelizes on the outside. So ridic.

... It is like a popover croissant. I must have it. Any particular recipe or anything google spits out should be decent?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

... It is like a popover croissant. I must have it. Any particular recipe or anything google spits out should be decent?

I used this recipe. I've laminated croissant dough a lot though, so it was a breeze. If you've never laminated before it might not be as easy. Cold kitchen, lots of flour and endless patience is key.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's more method than recipe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YTPpqK_Tjc This video shows it well, even if you don't understand French.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I've had the actual French version and while decadent and delicious, I prefer the Americanized version. There's a lot more going on that makes it interesting.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

This looks awesome and you just solved my dinner plans for tonight.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Hot date night.

Texas chili.

Done.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Casu Marzu posted:

Looks OK, I guess...

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Better send some to me. For science.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Brawnfire posted:

And it all came to under 30 bucks WITH beer, so... well, win-win!

Anyway, I had my birthday party today and made chicken and waffles. Went over big, chicken was so hella crispy you could take whole mouthfuls and not reach the meat.

This looks awesome, I want to eat all your food. I never did the chicken-and-waffles thing when I was a kid, but there's a place near me that serves a fried chicken sandwich with waffles as the bread with a variety of sauces and it's delicious. Oh, and happy birthday.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

And it all came to under 30 bucks WITH beer, so... well, win-win!

Anyway, I had my birthday party today and made chicken and waffles. Went over big, chicken was so hella crispy you could take whole mouthfuls and not reach the meat.

I'm so loving doing this when I get home for Christmas.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thanks chaps!

Just to share some tips:

Make that buttermilk marinade SALTY. Salty as gently caress. Make sure there's a bit of vodka in there, too.

Dredge, then dip and dredge again. There is never too much crunch.

Always double-fry: Fry it, let it rest for a good chunk of time, then fry it again. THERE IS NEVER. TOO MUCH CRUNCH.

And remember, cold fried chicken is the most heavenly thing, so make enough to save some in the fridge.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Brawnfire posted:

And remember, cold fried chicken is the most heavenly thing, so make enough to save some in the fridge.

Does it not go soggy?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tarbrush posted:

Does it not go soggy?

Hasn't been a problem for me, but I don't wrap it or anything

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Does it not go soggy?

Not if you eat it cold. It's the frozen-nacho-chip principle.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Olpainless posted:

I felt like making something spicy today. And I found these at the supermarket.

Been mucking about with these myself. Made a chicken roulade stuffed with spinach/parmesan/garlic and the peppers (used half of one for two flattened breasts) then wrapped in streaky bacon. A bit fiddly but worth it. The heat level was just right - I wouldn't want to use more than half for this quantity. Served with some more spinach (you can never have too much!) wilted in lemon juice and pepper:

Some other recent stuff since I haven't contributed for a while (but love seeing what others do):

A friend of mine recently went back to being vegan and was bemoaning the fact that a favoured bar snack (salt & vinegar peanuts) had milk in the ingredients. Me, being a super-awesome friend, decided to make an alternative for quiz night. Chickpeas boiled and steeped in white vinegar (the kitchen became an eye-burning zone for an hour) then coated with olive oil and sea salt and roasted in the oven.

They're vegan! They're sugar-free! They're soy-free! They're nut-free! They're gluten-free!

Turns out he sheepishly admitted he doesn't like chickpeas. Oh well, I liked them :colbert::

My rosemary bush has become a monster so I was looking for things to do with it:

Can't go wrong with a nice, warming Italian-ish casserole. Chicken thighs in a tomato sauce with rosemary/anchovies/capers/red wine/red onion/garlic etc.:

It's a pity this kind of thing never looks terribly good, but it was goddamn delicious :)

And since I was left with some anchovies with nowhere to go, I knocked up a super-simple spaghetti with them, some broccoli, chillies, olive oil and breadcrumbs the next night:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Duck gumbo, used the duck fat in the roux and carcass to make the stock. Came out great as always. Bit more of an effortpost on it in the Cajun & Creole thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=12#post452163419

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That Works posted:

Duck gumbo, used the duck fat in the roux and carcass to make the stock. Came out great as always. Bit more of an effortpost on it in the Cajun & Creole thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811&pagenumber=12#post452163419

gently caress yes.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
ICSA 65: Battle Sesame's voting's almost over. So if you haven't, go check out the entries at the very least. Really awesome showing this time around.

Here's what I made:

Wine pairing for the night.

The red will be a 2011 Taburno Sannio Aglianico Fidelis, the white will be a 2012 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume, and finally our dessert wine will be a 2009 Château Saint Vincent Sauternes.

First Course:

My variant of sesame noodles (mixed with dan dan noodles). We have a tahini and garlic chili oil based sauce, braised tripe, crispy pork topping, all on top of handmade egg noodles.

Fish Course: Ahi Tuna Garden

First, shout out to Chefy Chef de Chefyart for circle forms. I hope my tuna doesn't look like cat food to you.

The ahi tuna tartare with mango, avocado, and seaweed salad. Plated with two sauces, and a garden from my garden. First sauce is a green onion and sesame oil 'aioli', the second sauce is a sweet miso cream. Garden garnish includes cucumber, radish, and marigold petals.

Meat Course: Beef Rib Tahini and Miso Curry

Beef rib prepared sous vide with an asian pear marinade seared then encrusted with sesame seeds sitting on top of fried rice. All surrounded by a tahini and miso curry prepared with the marinade plus some lemongrass and coconut milk. Garnished with a green papaya salad and sesame seed crisps.

Dessert: Sesame Ice Cream in a Sesame Cone

Black sesame ice cream in a sesame seed and miso cone. Garnished with candied ginger and mint.

Holy poo poo these cones were hard to make. You have to work FAST with your hands but they are so hot when they're malleable. But, again, worth it.

Digestif: Smashin' Buddha with Sesame Lace Cookies

My variant of an irish coffee. Sesame infused scotch and iron buddha tea, topped with a cream made out of honey, vanilla and white sesame seeds. Garnished with mint and served with black sesame lace cookies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

God drat dude

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That Works posted:

God drat dude

Yeah yours and the vietnamese one are completely baller. What a good icsa.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hard to follow up an ICSA entry, (drat dude that looks awesome) but chickens were on sale for $1/lb, so I fried a chicken:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

overdesigned posted:

Hard to follow up an ICSA entry, (drat dude that looks awesome) but chickens were on sale for $1/lb, so I fried a chicken:

I'm very pleased with your choices.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
For a Jurassic Park themed Halloween, friends made goat curry and a salad with goat cheese ("he's gonna eat the goat?!!?"), and cute dinosaur egg rice krispy treats. In Halloween spirit, I made many other sweets with orange flavored "amber candy", cherry pie, and mojito jello.

“Alejandro’s prepared a delightful meal for us. Chilean sea bass, I believe." - Then I made this fish dish based off a screenshot and it turned out way better than I thought it would.

Pan fried sea bass (New Zealand, from Whole Foods, so no worries, I did not purchase unethically sourced Patagonian toothfish), green beans, and tomatoes with a light chicken based broth flavored with ginger, lemon juice, habanero, fish sauce, cilantro, and green onion. Topped with fried sweet potatoes. It was pretty simple to make (I cooked it at like 11 while tipsy) and turned out really well and way better than I thought it would but then I realized the fish was seasoned a bit like Vietnamese steamed fish which I love so it wasn't as pulled out of my rear end as I thought it was at the time.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Omg that's adorable. <3

overdesigned posted:

Lol dude, I'm just too lazy to photograph my normal food. Your fried chicken looks great.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Rurutia posted:

Omg that's adorable. <3

Lol dude, I'm just too lazy to photograph my normal food. Your fried chicken looks great.

Seconded and thirded. Last night's dinner was local grass-fed boeuf bourguignon over homemade egg noodles. But no pics sorry lol.

Edit: For some actual content, here's a lovely pic from my ICSA entry

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746396

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I can't compete visually with you wizards, but I was pretty happy with the result of my lunch

Rump steak w/red wine reduction, baked potato, assorted veg with lemon-infused olive olive and my first attempt at crispy onion strings.

(I really need to un-boring my carrots one of these days)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So there's a restaurant near work that does great Khao Man Gai, which is a Thai stewed chicken dish. I kinda had my own notions about how to make it, checked a couple recipes online, did some trial and error, and have finally settled on this. It's definitely become one of my favourite recipes since it's easy, cheap, and fast.

So, I start with two chicken thighs in the pressure cooker:

Add in 1/2 tablespoon of salt and sugar, 2 cloves of diced garlic and maybe half an inch of diced ginger (that should all be tweaked to your preferences):

Add in just enough water to cover and cook at pressure for half an hour or so. If you don't have a pressure cooker you'll need to extend the time obviously, but keeping the water amount down is important as I'll show in a second.

Once the chicken's cooked and cooled, pull it out and take off the skins:

Should have chicken broth left over looking like this:

Totally optional, but I like to take the skin, cut it into strips and fry it up:

Then slice the chicken:

For two chicken thighs I use two (metric) cups of rice:

The reason for keeping the water level low when stewing the chicken is I use it to cook the rice. I don't have exact measurements for this, so you'll need to work it out:

Here's the fried chicken skin diced:

I like cilantro for this:

And here it all is on a plate:

For the sauce I'm just using some thai sweet chili sauce I got at the store. Khao Man Gai sauces are awesome though, so if you want to do it right you'll want to google up a recipe for one. Hope this is useable by someone or another here!

Stringent fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 3, 2015

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
That looks really tasty, I'm going to give it a go soon I reckon.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I looove Hainanese chicken rice and all its variants.

This is one of the Thai dipping sauces for it that I really love:
1/3 cup of roughly chopped fresh ginger
4 medium cloves garlic peeled
5-8 bird’s eye chillies
1/2 cup fermented soybean sauce (looks like this)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark sweet soy sauce
1/4 thin soy sauce
1/3 cup white vinegar (not rice — oh gawd, not rice vinegar)

Pulse everything into a coarse puree in a food processor
Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil for 30-40 seconds

Simple Vietnamese sauce:
Lime juice, salt and pepper

Vietnamese ginger lime sauce:
3-4 Tb minced ginger
4-5 Tb fresh lime juice
2-2.5 Tb sugar
2-3 Tb fish sauce

Singapore sauce:
2 or 3 large red chiles, such as Fresno or cayenne, coarsely chopped
2 or 3 hot Thai chiles, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon hot chicken poaching broth

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Chilaquiles with leftover carnitas and guacamole from last night.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Here in the south, we can grill until January!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Here in the south, we can grill until January!

Why do you stop in January? Up north we grill year round. Unless it's too cold to light charcoal anymore. Then we'll wait a day or two.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I did the reverse grill method for a ribeye and burgundy mushrooms BUT...that is not why I am here. I came across a recipe that is:
1 part scallions
1 part raw horseradish
1 part good dijon mustard
1 part Duke's Mayo
1 part Sour Cream
splash of red wine vinegar

and by 1 part I mean, the recipe just said throw a gently caress it on it put however much you want to do...who would have thought that dijon mustard would go so well with a horseradish sauce.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 6, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Nhilist posted:

I did the reverse grill method for a ribeye and burgundy mushrooms BUT...that is not why I am here. I came across a recipe that is:
1 part scallions
1 part raw horseradish
1 part good dijon mustard
1 part Duke's Mayo
1 part Sour Cream
splash of red wine vinegar

and by 1 part I mean, the recipe just said throw a gently caress it on it put however much you want to do...who would have thought that dijon mustard would go so well with a horseradish sauce.

Horse radish with Dijon and dry mustard powder is how I make spicy mustard for guests from across the pond. It's legit good stuff and makes me wish I could find that English mustard here stateside.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Secret Spoon posted:

Horse radish with Dijon and dry mustard powder is how I make spicy mustard for guests from across the pond. It's legit good stuff and makes me wish I could find that English mustard here stateside.

why do people never check amazon for food things http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=colemans+mustard&sprefix=colemans+mustard%2Caps%2C418

i mean its not particularly cheap but you don't use much of it when you do use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

why do people never check amazon for food things http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=colemans+mustard&sprefix=colemans+mustard%2Caps%2C418

i mean its not particularly cheap but you don't use much of it when you do use it

Im bad with the Internet and have never used Amazon.

• Locked thread