Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Munin posted:

Quick thing about the magic descriptions. What does Sylpharion actually do? It is marked as "Support" but has no effect noted for it. It is either missing that or it is a damage or healing spell and should have been marked as such.

Buff spell, it increases your movement range by 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am messing up so horribly in Chapter 1.

If you go to Ruan with Agate, make sure to hold off on the job for a photo in Sapphirl Tower. You'll have a better photographer in your group later on.

There's also a very short-term guild job that pops up sometime before the academy opens up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Really Pants posted:

There's also a very short-term guild job that pops up sometime before the academy opens up.
I was obsessively checking the board, this happens right after the event on the bridge when someone great shows up on a boat to save the day. It's marked as "short term" so I think you have to do it immediately, before going to the next plot point.

e: Interested in knowing whether reserve party members get exp.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 31, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I was obsessively checking the board, this happens right after the event on the bridge when someone great shows up on a boat to save the day. It's marked as "short term" so I think you have to do it immediately, before going to the next plot point.

Well, in this case, "next plot point" means (I have no idea if this really counts as a spoiler, but whatever) "point of no return for the entire rest of the chapter", so yeah.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If it's like the first Trails, party members who go their own way will be back later at a fixed, higher level.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's not, party members don't leave anymore. And yes they get exp while in reserve, I can confirm.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaggitz posted:

It's not, party members don't leave anymore. And yes they get exp while in reserve, I can confirm.

To clarify: available party members will occasionally shift around when your overall team needs to delegate responsibility, and there's a few points later where things get changed up a tiny bit. In the main, though, you put the band back together quickly, and by and large the band stays together and is available together for the vast majority of the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

whats the answer for the the last phantom thief sidequest in chapter 3?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

whats the answer for the the last phantom thief sidequest in chapter 3?

Check the arena

edit: just got to the scene from SpaceDrake's avatar. Kevin rules.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 31, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I don't know if this is actually a bug but i got the Anton's Journey achievement almost immediately just by talking to him. Seemed a bit too easy given the description?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yo it's hella dumb that when Agate rejoins the party I have to keep Schera as my secondary. Why are you making me live with my mistakes, game?!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So i got TiTS 1 on sale and i am stuck in the orbsomething factory tutorial. i made a quartz of each type and equipped as many as I could in my empty slots and it won't let me leave.
the bracer captain who does the tutorial keeps telling me to make sure i balance my offensive and defensive skills and that i can read about in the journal but i have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about. any help?

thanks.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

have a blue one equiped so you get healing spells

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Agean90 posted:

have a blue one equiped so you get healing spells

really? then it will let me walk out? thanks. this doesn't bode well for my ability to finish the game but i'm on my way.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you might have to talk to some people before it lets you leave, but yeah so long as one of your dudes has healing spells youll be good.

now that I think about it "talk to some people" is pretty much how you advance the game 70% of the time anyway so get used to doing that.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Is there, anywhere, a collected list of obvious "missables" in SC that I might be able to consult? I haven't been googling or anything because I'm super-extra paranoid about incidental spoilers about this game, considering it's technically been released for so long. Still, I'd really like to be able to track down, say, all the books in a single playthrough and that obscure method of finding the first Gambler Jack book has not filled me with confidence that I'll get all the others going in blind.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can someone give me a decent rundown of the events at the end of the first game in Trails: Legend of Heroes? This is what I remember.

Obviously full game spoilers for the first game.

The historian/priest guy that followed you around turned out to be some sort of bad guy? I can't remember his name. Joshua runs away and the game is over. Someone was controlling the blonde haired general and then I fought an evil thing underneath the castle. Was there another mysterious soldier you fought or am I forgetting something?

I tried checking various wikis, but I want to stay away from SC spoilers and whatnot, and none of them have a decent plot summary of the first game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Professor Alba was Weissman, a member of a secret society called Orobouros(a high ranking member, though not the leader). He has the power to influence minds, and was behind every major event in the game, the endgoal for why he did this is left vague at the end of FC, but you are made aware that Joshua used to be an assassin for Orobouros until Estelle's dad saved him, and even after that Weissman used his abilities to have Joshua spy on the Bright family for him. Lorence, one of the main mooks for the blond haired general, Richard, ended up being an undercover member of Orobouros that Joshua has history with. At the end of the game Weissman unwipes Joshua's mind and leaves him to wallow in what he's made him do. Joshua then tells Estelle the truth about himself after sedating her, and subsequently takes off on his own to presumably kill Weissman and other Orobouros members in Liberl.

That's a basic rundown. Sorry about the run on sentences.

edit: anybody find the Milch Main Road monster in chap 4?

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 1, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaggitz posted:

edit: anybody find the Milch Main Road monster in chap 4?

The first one is on the main path between Rolent and the checkpoint, after the fog clears up. The second one is just off the main path near the fork to Perzel Farm.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

The first one is on the main path between Rolent and the checkpoint, after the fog clears up. The second one is just off the main path near the fork to Perzel Farm.

Oh my god I'm an idiot, I hadn't seen him cause i instinctively hugged the walls of the area cause i figured he'd be off the beaten path.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i did as close to literally nothing but play sc today as is possible

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

I'm still doing it.

edit: Man the end of Chapter 4 really pulls at the heart strings.

Oh my god Olivier and Anton trying to create an anti drunkness potion to take on Aina. :allears:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 1, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, uh, question. Are fish used for anything? Is there some sidequest down the line that demands that I have fish? Or am I just intended to sell all of them?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Um. Huh.

During the scene with Campanella, Schera (Or I assume Agate if you picked Schera), and Anelace in chapter 3... Campanella appears to be invisible?

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 1, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

I tried really hard to do that for three days. I'm still in the middle of Chapter 4.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I'm just now getting to the game (I had to wrap up ToZ before I started TitS) - is it like the first with a ton of missable content? I'm mostly just concerned about getting enough BP for max rank and maybe the books for weapons.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Levantine posted:

Ok, I'm just now getting to the game (I had to wrap up ToZ before I started TitS) - is it like the first with a ton of missable content? I'm mostly just concerned about getting enough BP for max rank and maybe the books for weapons.

I don't know about a ton, but it definitely rewards exploring and checking out areas even if you have no reason to go there. I'd have certainly missed Chapter 1's lighthouse quest if I hadn't been searching for monsters to kill to get ingredients for the Come Ingredient Hunters! job.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

it seems to be about the same except with more lenient sidequest deadlines

Zaggitz posted:

I'm still doing it.

major feels

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I'm still doing it.

Oh my god Olivier and Anton trying to create an anti drunkness potion to take on Aina. :allears:

you figure out where to fish for that sidequest? as the people who are way too far into this game, we need to stick together

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

you figure out where to fish for that sidequest? as the people who are way too far into this game, we need to stick together

I cheated, but I have a list if you want it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes please. or just tell me how you cheated, either works

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

yes please. or just tell me how you cheated, either works

I found what purports to be a spoiler-free walkthrough and it's mostly working.

Behind Estelle's house
To the side of the Verte Bridge checkpoint
Milch Main Road pond
To the side of the Elize Highway bridge
In the Rolent sewers
Possibly in Mistwald, after the boss fight (I'm not there yet)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh haha i caught it like 10 minutes ago, I thought the game would tell me

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Just wanted to add another thing I like about Trails in the Sky. The setting has a history and the game shows it to you without banging you over the head with it. You see the effects of the orbment revolution on the various localities you travel through, some thriving because of it like Perzel farm with new markets for their produce and others stagnating like Manoria since no one needs to take the long arduous and dangerous pass road anymore.

The you have stuff like the play which give you hints how the political landscape of the country with a lot of the power resting with semi hereditary provincial "Mayors" who are more like governors and a relatively weak monarchy. The Hundred Day War and the very pertinent way in which it totally reshaped the military of Liberl would be another such thing but with obviously far more direct impact on the game's story.

Of course the big glaring question is how a strong organisation not tied to individual nations but with a lot of power in all the places it has a presence in developed.

I mean, don't get me wrong there are still some huge holes if you start thinking about it too much but it is a far more thought through setting than the vast majority of fantasy stuff out there which are essentially medieval kingdoms which are essentially unchanged since the last time "The Big Evil One" tm rose up and threatened the world. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are two games which are arguably better on the political plotting side of things.

[edit] I'm currently replaying the school festival for the third time in my replay of FC. First time round I forgot that you lose access to Joshua in a particular bit and I had the information quartz on him, the second time I was sure I had moved it to Estelle and noticed after playing through it all again that I had in ffact had not and hence bring on take three...

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 1, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Levantine posted:

One thing I would definitely add is that every area(so far, I'm in Chapter 5) has one or two sidequests that'll only show up/be able to be completed with the full bp at the start of the next chapter before you leave for the next town, so make sure to check the board before you leave a given town!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
On that note, I missed out on 1BP in the prologue to FC (by rushing in solo in the tower, since it seemed like not rushing in would be bad), how hosed am I?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

After I realized what massive pricks the devs are about hiding poo poo I just resigned myself to not 100 percenting the game. You should too, its easier that way.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lemon Curdistan posted:

On that note, I missed out on 1BP in the prologue to FC (by rushing in solo in the tower, since it seemed like not rushing in would be bad), how hosed am I?

First game has some huge leway to get max rank, out of a total of 368 bp you only need like 295 i think. Max bp just gets you a bonus quartz in sc.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think max rank in FC has a margin for error of like 3 or something

E: or i could be totally wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, cool, just as long as missing that BP doesn't prevent me from getting other quests later on, I can live with it. Thanks. :)