Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
By the way, it was just announced in game that they're making a separate Latin America server, releasing today. So there's that, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
And here I thought I was already playing on it! heeyyyoooo

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I doubt most people are going to switch, unless forced to, they're already attached to their existing characters

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
overkilling mobs gives more exp

lol

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Remember, swordsmen need tree root crystals to dash. So even if you don't need the stamina, always destroy them.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Goggles are the best hat. Everything else not goggles is wrong :colbert:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I discovered last night that the Quarrel Shooter's Pavise actually help block boss attacks without exploding on contact. I also discovered that I shouldn't go into the Closed Area of the mines. Fired an arrow at what I thought was a Vupple archer but turned out to be a Level 104 Vupple. Got one shot killed so quickly. When they announced the Latin servers coming up it was funny to watch the reader board above. Good to see that the legacy of Brazilians being mad at everyone and everyone being mad at Brazilians carried over from the good ol' RO days.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So battle cleric/priest sort of works as long as you stick a bunch of debuffs on mobs and buffs on yourself and then just start whacking things. Certainly not as effective as the other classes but it doesn't really feel any worse than int cleric waiting for cooldowns to burst damage.

You need to carry both a sword and a mace and get the cleric trait that further debuffs the mobs if you hit them with a sword when deprotect zone is up. Blessings increase the damage of your cure as well so its worthwhile picking that up as an extra layer of damage while you whack poo poo. Usually hard shelled monsters are weak to blunt and softer mobs are weak to sword.

I'm guessing this would be a whole lot more effective in groups though, since you are acting as a force multiplier for the rest of the group.

I'm doing this to see how viable this poo poo is to level normally for paladin and monk in case they remove the reset items for launch.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Is anyone trying psycho/pyro? I heard they can throw fireballs with telekinesis

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

You can indeed, but I prefer to use telekinesis on mobs and hold them over my 'balls as if I am roasting them. Also, psychic pressure has a great interaction with fireballs, though they've nerfed it since last beta. Protip wrt that combo: you can use it on more than one fireball at a time, so buddy up and get 'ballin!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Belrouze posted:

Goggles are the best hat. Everything else not goggles is wrong :colbert:

My Goat Horns would like to disagree with you :colbert:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Oh man. I found this a couple of days too late to get in, but I still talk to some of the idiots I met on Ragnarok a good 8+ years ago. Super hype!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The job experience curve :stonk:

drat, hopefully exp per mob picks up somewhere because thats one hell of a curve

e-Anyone know how to fix my games fullscreen not covering over windows toolbar? It doesnt happen on my dads computer but on mine its always like this. Could it be the 1440p resolution?

e2- welp got dced now I cant get zemiya.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 31, 2015

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I killed a world boss and died like 20 times doing it but didn't get the loot box at the end :smith:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Is there a big MVP that springs up over someones head? :colbert:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Its funny to see that there are already bots in the Beta. Found two parties of bots camping the red onion boss spawn by the Miner's Village. Kind of funny watching them swing at nothing and run around in set patterns.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
To be fair, all you need to do is tape down a button on a controller to get that effect. I've seen a couple in the same spot but they didn't move, they just sat at the exact point of spawn and auto attacked infinitely.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sacrament is a gamechanger for battlepriests heading into paladin. Its such a massive increase to sustained damage, specially in places like the chapel where so many mobs are weak to holy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I went swordsman, pelt, hoplite, and the aoe is a god send as well as the block ability.

Too bad there are only two ways that I can see to get block.

It also looks like if you want a good crit build, due to how the stat system works and the simple crit equations, you need a lot of dex which can only be done at high levels or you need to pick up hoplite for finestra.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How does crit work actually? Is it better to just stack strength at first and then switch to a full dex build or is it viable to level dex from the start? I'm using full dex right now for my cleric and it seems to be working fine now that I have so many buffs and debuffs but if its faster to just go str till x level then I might just switch.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The crit formual is your critical rating minus their critical resistance and that is your percent chance to crit. There may be a cap on that, but I don't know.

So lets take a level 49 boss.
http://www.tosbase.com/database/monsters/47323/
Crit resistance 34

A 49 monster
http://www.tosbase.com/database/monsters/57030/
Crit resistance 19

At level 50, we have something like 49 stat points
Add in your base stat points for your class, 6 for swordsmen, 9 for archers
Stats gain bonus points as you rank up, more as you get higher up. So they get +1 bonus every 5 points while below 50. Then it is +1 for every 4 points for the next 100 points.

1 ~ 50 total stats Bonus every 5th stat point
51 ~ 150 total stats Bonus every 4th stat point
151 ~ 300 total stats Bonus every 3rd stat point
301 ~ 500 total stats Bonus every 2nd stat point
500+ total stats Bonus every stat point

If you had 59 points in dex, you would get 59 crit rating. That would mean 59-19=40% chance to crit on that monster and 59-34=25% chance to crit on the boss.
You would also have way less damage and crit bonus damage from a lack of strength.

So the higher level you get, the easier it may be to do a stat build.

For reference
158 boss
http://www.tosbase.com/database/monsters/41367/
Crit resistance 70

149 monster
http://www.tosbase.com/database/monsters/11123
Crit resistance 57

By this time you have 150 stat points or so and can be getting a larger bonus
Crit damage is 1.5 your normal damage then plus the crit damage stat.
Pure strength goes a long way at the start and later on you can respec into dex for crit builds. It looks like you mainly need dex for accuracy at lower levels.
This is why finestra is so good, it adds 10 crit chance per rank.
This is also a reason why gung ho isn't so bad, the bonus damage is like missing strength.

Most of this information was pulled from this
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/guide-damage-formula/3541

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 1, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The ultra nerds are still trying to figure out the ~optimal stat ratio~ but I can tell you that pure str no dex is bad, and pure dex no str is probably not good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You need dex for accuracy but you probably won't get a high crit rate and good damage until like level 150 or higher and I don't plan to play that long.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I went swordsman, pelt, hoplite, and the aoe is a god send as well as the block ability.

This is the build I did on my first character and I pretty much hate it, how are you managing?

Bash, Umbro Blow, and Rim Blow all do very little damage and knock back, knock up, or knock down -- so they are good control but pretty awful at actually killing things.
Thrust and Peirce are only situationally good if you are fighting pierce weak/large mobs.

Basically, you are stuck auto attacking things down for the most part and waiting for Stabbing to get off cooldown so you can pray it doesn't bug out (which it does about a 3rd of the time you use it).

Sword > Highlander > Hoplite on the other hand gives you 2-handed swords which still work with hoplite spear moves.
So you do extremely high damage for strike (cartar), slash(auto), and pierce(pierce, stabbing) with a single weapon equipped.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 1, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im finding it hilarious that clerics are like the most money intensive class in the game. To the point they just went with it with pardoner being able to set up collection booths next to goddesses statues and burning 500 silver every time they use one of their nukes. Monks literally throw money away with one of their abilities.

Str/dex clerics/priests/paladins also have to get both types of weapons leveled up since they depend so much on auto attack damage and they dont have weapon skills that lock them into a particular weapon. Shits is expensive

Not to mention have to stock up on buff items every time I go to town. They really need to make blessing last at least twice what it lasts now.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 1, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I play with friends. Otherwise it is a poo poo solo spec. Highlander is way better if you plan to be solo often.

You will respec to get more buffs as you go along and drop your swordsman attack skills.

But when it comes to bosses, I am watching sword/ highlander/barb players just die or have issues at level 75 and waiting for groups while I am able to just deal with anything without magic just by blocking. I solo the boss but it takes forever.

While blocking, my physical defense goes from 131 to 196 and block goes from 98 to 586. It is free, no spirit, and can be maintained unless knocked around.

I still need to train the evasion and max hp bonus for the guardian buff. Generally though I just have gung ho and finestra on. I really need to train gung ho a lot more.

I plan on going cataphract soon for even more goofy spear stuff.

EDIT:
Going highlander for the two hander bonus is nice and I didn't know if it would work with two handed spears, so I skipped it for cataphract. If it works, it is the better path unless you want to be able to block at times. The only ways to get that is roderlero or peltasta.

The only other reason to get peltasta is the aoe taunt which makes barbarian a whole lot more fun.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 1, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Peltesta's taunt current crashes the game, too.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I play with friends. Otherwise it is a poo poo solo spec. Highlander is way better if you plan to be solo often.

You will respec to get more buffs as you go along and drop your swordsman attack skills.

But when it comes to bosses, I am watching sword/ highlander/barb players just die or have issues at level 75 and waiting for groups while I am able to just deal with anything without magic just by blocking. I solo the boss but it takes forever.

While blocking, my physical defense goes from 131 to 196 and block goes from 98 to 586. It is free, no spirit, and can be maintained unless knocked around.

I still need to train the evasion and max hp bonus for the guardian buff. Generally though I just have gung ho and finestra on. I really need to train gung ho a lot more.

I plan on going cataphract soon for even more goofy spear stuff.

EDIT:
Going highlander for the two hander bonus is nice and I didn't know if it would work with two handed spears, so I skipped it for cataphract. If it works, it is the better path unless you want to be able to block at times. The only ways to get that is roderlero or peltasta.

The only other reason to get peltasta is the aoe taunt which makes barbarian a whole lot more fun.
Yeah, for party play I can see all of the defensive moves coming in handy. Highlanders just really seem to bring way too much to the table right now though.

Highlanders also have Cross Guard with 2 handed swords.
Rank 5:
Defense: +19
Block: +(STR + CharLv × 3 + 225) at 75 str level 75 thats + 525 Block. No Cooldown, 19SP
Blocking also makes enemies "Vulnerable to pierce" which adds a secondary bonus attack when using pierce moves from what I can tell.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like cross guard, I really do. I tried it out, noticed it was a skill, and as such will bug out like other longer skills with the current server situation.

How that priest class can't summon statues since they just disappear or hoplite can't do a charge attack since the game changes the target randomly.

If it was an actual block it would be way better. Or didn't cost SP.

EDIT: at the same time, barbarian pretty much does everything highlander does, except the crit, and with a better aoe. You can even use a shield with them but why would you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im finding it hilarious that clerics are like the most money intensive class in the game. To the point they just went with it with pardoner being able to set up collection booths next to goddesses statues and burning 500 silver every time they use one of their nukes. Monks literally throw money away with one of their abilities.

Str/dex clerics/priests/paladins also have to get both types of weapons leveled up since they depend so much on auto attack damage and they dont have weapon skills that lock them into a particular weapon. Shits is expensive

Not to mention have to stock up on buff items every time I go to town. They really need to make blessing last at least twice what it lasts now.

agreed, i can spend upwards to like 2-3k just to get like 50 holy powder and 50 holy water and it hurts.

and then its still not enough. I still will do priest on launch, but its not worth the effort for beta :3: I'll actually be able to take my time and gather up what I need

but I agree on things like aspersion having a longer buff time, because 1 minute is pretty short and situational, i try to save it for bosses :/

blessing is really great if you party with a pyromancer who does fire enchant, itll tear through mobs 5-6 levels above you quickly.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 1, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Horizontal Tree posted:

Peltesta's taunt current crashes the game, too.

Wear appropriate equipment, yo. Only crashes if you're using a 2h sword instead of one of the valid options. Pelt into barb can be nice especially in parties in non-aggro areas. Throw a sword+shield on weapon swap, and provoke in a pile of guys every 20 seconds to burn down.

If you're planning on using 2h sword, go highlander over pelt. We're not really sure exactly how the attribute works, but any way you cut it it is good. If you're ending with something like corsair or fencer (1h weapons and off-hand) then pelt might be nice for useful buffs and taunt. Highlander levels way easier though, and cartar strike mows bosses.

Priest costs stop being really noticeable when selling your junk drops to the vendor gives you 150k. Early on it is rough though, get a party if possible and spend as much as you're comfortable with.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mostly ignored the mobs that link things together as a swordsman. If I am feeling nice and someone else got linked to me, I block for a bit.

But now I got a pet and I just realized that the npcs will link the pet to a friendly player and they will get a lot of damage from my pet being a low level.

I am enjoying this a lot since I can still block through it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Sacro posted:

The ultra nerds are still trying to figure out the ~optimal stat ratio~ but I can tell you that pure str no dex is bad, and pure dex no str is probably not good.

I'm currently level 40 with a Quarrel Shooter that has 20 Str and 34 Dex. Its great being able to dodge half the hits that come at me but I suffer cause of the weak damage. The dodge I have is often mitigated by the fact that I spend more TTK on each enemy even with the increased fire rate from DEX. Once I get up to 35 Dex I'm going all in on STR till it gets to at least equal.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

if you need to respec, both skill and stat respec scrolls are 5 icoins at the south npc in town. The item merchant I believe

you also get icoins for cheevos and you can get those from the feather icoin npc in the east part of town

you get a lot of icoins

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm currently level 40 with a Quarrel Shooter that has 20 Str and 34 Dex. Its great being able to dodge half the hits that come at me but I suffer cause of the weak damage. The dodge I have is often mitigated by the fact that I spend more TTK on each enemy even with the increased fire rate from DEX. Once I get up to 35 Dex I'm going all in on STR till it gets to at least equal.

Like Third World said, respeccing is super cheap, so you might as well give it a shot.
Don't get too excited with strength though. That extra 15 str will probably add about 18-20 damage to your attacks, at the cost of 10% crit chance and evade.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Baldbeard posted:

Like Third World said, respeccing is super cheap, so you might as well give it a shot.
Don't get too excited with strength though. That extra 15 str will probably add about 18-20 damage to your attacks, at the cost of 10% crit chance and evade.

In that case I'll probably just keep my current stats and alternate between adding STR and DEX. The ability to dodge attacks is pretty nice.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I'm sure someone else has done the work thoroughly testing stuff, but it seems like each point in STR/INT only adds about 1 damage to physical/magical attacks and abilities. The exception is when STR or INT actually shows up in a abilities damage formula.
In other words, if an ability just says "Attack: 100" in the full description on tosbase.com than stats are going to have little effect on that ability, especially if it only hits 1 time.

Its counter intuitive, but STR should be evaluated in most cases for its Critical attack modifier rather than it's regular damage modifier. STR makes crits hit harder and DEX makes crits happen more often.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And here I am riding the Krivis train for free :smugdog:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
this game is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magile
May 20, 2008
Some things I've noticed in this beta so far...

1) People hate using potions. They want to find a "Healer" no matter what for groups -- if you are a Cleric and have joined as a "healer," you will rarely find pubbies popping potions because they expect a heal.
2) Linker is absolutely amazing in a party. If you're grinding mobs or doing a dungeon, this class is a no-brainer to have with you.
3) Dungeons seem to have a party limit (not a runs/per day limit, an actual parties in the dungeon server limit). It makes people spam-click enter hoping to be the next in queue.
4) The chat system is really, really buggy. Half the time it won't save whispers or party chat if you switched channels, other times you'll begin a sentence and have the Steam Overlay pop up because you used shift for capitalization/punctuation.
5) They never tell you (I think), but to actually use your Collections on the NPC, you need to drag and drop the items into the left-hand menu when you talk to the NPC and have your collection open.

All in all, I've enjoyed the beta. I got to Level 62 as a Cl1/Kr1/Pr1 and another to 55 as a Cl1/Pr2. Been debating if I want to try another form of Cleric. I'm really curious about Dievdirbys; however, a lot of builds involving them seem to be Cleric2/Diev2/Monk2 and I don't find much value in Cleric2.

• Locked thread