Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

GlitchThief posted:

Are there any Doom or Doom 2 wads that would be particularly good for 2-player coop?

If you're talking level packs, you can't go wrong with Memento Mori 1-2, since they were designed for coop. From what I understand (full playthroughs of both are still on my backlog), 2 has aged better than 1, but they're both still good. It's successor WAD, Requiem, is also pretty good. For something more modern, you could check out Back to Saturn X, Episodes 1 and 2, though those aren't specifically designed for coop.

Alternatively, if you don't mind 10+ hours of pain to get through 1 level, you could always dig up a copy of Chillax. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, question - are there any good (G)ZDoom megawads with stuff like sloped surfaces and coloured lighting, levels designed for jumping/ducking, all that jazz, but without any of the custom monsters or weapons that'll trip up gameplay mods?

Sgt Mark has confirmed that the Brutal Doom campaign will be compatible with most gameplay mods, too. It has a few of its own tricks, like some setpiece boss fights with health bars and such, and tanks/allied marines, but nothing that should interfere with most mods. I think it was even mentioned that it's Demonsteele compatible, which is rad.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 31, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
BTSX ep1 starts with you staring down a spider mastermind first thing if you start in network mode, so I hope you're good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Elliotw2 posted:

BTSX ep1 starts with you staring down a spider mastermind first thing if you start in network mode, so I hope you're good.

Doesn't Plutonia start the same way?

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Earthsiege 1 runs fine in Dosbox. Earthsiege 2 is a really early Win95 game that's basically impossible to run even in XP.

It runs fine on 64-bit Windows 7 if you use the Sierra Installer and maybe dgVoodoo2.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Klaus88 posted:

...You're not playing on ultra violent are you. :shepicide:
Why wouldn't you play doom 2 on ultra violence?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

koren posted:

Why wouldn't you play doom 2 on ultra violence?

Yeah, it's pretty standard, really.

Does anything else change between UV and Nightmare, aside from respawning bad guys? And does every single enemy respawn, or just the smaller ones?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does anything else change between UV and Nightmare, aside from respawning bad guys? And does every single enemy respawn, or just the smaller ones?

Monsters attack faster and more aggressively, projectiles move faster, pinkies move faster. Also cheats are disabled.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 31, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In addition to what dis astranagant said, you get double ammo, just as if you were playing on I'm Too Young To Die. Except, unlike ITYTD, you're actually going to need that additional ammo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GlitchThief posted:

Are there any Doom or Doom 2 wads that would be particularly good for 2-player coop?

I love playing Samsara with 2-play co-op and each picking a different character.

As for levels, just play whatever you like and crank the difficulty up higher than you normally play.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

In an attempt to win back everybody's love after "The Incident", Hi-Rez threw the entire Earthsiege/Starsiege series up for free download. Yes, even the PS2 one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3t4LLv7jQ

I'm actually not that familar with the Earthsiege/Starsiege series. Which of the games is worth trying first, or is the most recommended. The Earthsiege games look like they're a little complex, and it seems like they'd be hard to get into. Do any of the games in the Tribes series have a single-player campaign?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3t4LLv7jQ

I'm actually not that familar with the Earthsiege/Starsiege series. Which of the games is worth trying first, or is the most recommended. The Earthsiege games look like they're a little complex, and it seems like they'd be hard to get into.

Not really, they're your basic drive between nav points and shoot everything you find stompy robit games. They add a little complexity because of a more intricate damage model and a salvage/repair mechanic, plus little things like active vs passive radar on your robit and your missiles, but it's all pretty self-explanatory. Starsiege gives you the most customization options and plays like Mechwarrior 4. Earthsiege 1 and 2 are roughly Mechwarrior 2-levels of graphics and gameplay. I'd play them in order for the story but they can be played in any order.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like the free releases don't have music for the first several, since they didn't bother ripping the redbook audio.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh really? That blows, the soundtracks were awesome. Starsiege has a sick industrial redbook soundtrack.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
They're not FPSes but it would have been nice if Hi-Rez had released the Cyberstorm games as well since they are set in the Earthsiege universe too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ah okay. They've already updated the installer on the Sierra Help Pages to support downloading the Earthsiege 2 music as MP3. The problem is that you need to install this utility that's only available from Japanese Geocities to actually use them, which I haven't figured out how to not just crash as soon as you go in-game. The game itself works fine other than no music. And yeah, I wish they'd add Cyberstorm. The first one is one of the best (and hardest) turn-based strategy games I've ever played.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 1, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I've beaten System Shock Enhanced Edition about a 1000 times and I wanna play through the original version for hilarious tank controls and sweet, sweet Sound Blaster 16 music. The only thing is that the horizontal mouse movement is slow and sluggish, but vertical is fine. Is there any way to fix this?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't played either of the Earthsiege games but Starsiege is great. Great setting, story, atmosphere, and pretty good gameplay. I played the multiplayer for a while because the editor and scripting let you do some crazy stuff, and custom maps could be automatically downloaded so you didn't need to get the stuff from a third party ahead of time. There weren't a whole lot of viable weapons or Hercs/vehicles though.

The data files for weapons and Hercs and vehicles were just plain text files and you could change all of the stats. This didn't work in multiplayer as a cheat because the server rejects you if yours don't match, but it would be cool if a rebalance patch was made. I'm not sure if anyone figured out the model format though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I've beaten System Shock Enhanced Edition about a 1000 times and I wanna play through the original version for hilarious tank controls and sweet, sweet Sound Blaster 16 music. The only thing is that the horizontal mouse movement is slow and sluggish, but vertical is fine. Is there any way to fix this?
I remember people complaining about this on the SystemShock.org forums in the context of the mouse look hack. I think there's a configure file you can tweak the values in. I'm playing through my completely vanilla CD version of SS1 in DosBox and the cursor moves fine :shrug:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Did anyone who play through the original Doom campaign with Brutal Doom have crashing issues in E4M2? It's crashing every time I activate the first switch and enter the room with the imps, shotgunners and lava:

Episodes 1-3 gave me no problems whatsoever.

Edit: I'm using gzDoom if that matters???

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GUI posted:

Did anyone who play through the original Doom campaign with Brutal Doom have crashing issues in E4M2? It's crashing every time I activate the first switch and enter the room with the imps, shotgunners and lava:

Episodes 1-3 gave me no problems whatsoever.

Edit: I'm using gzDoom if that matters???

Are you using the latest gzDoom dev build, gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1307-g4e1723e.7z from over here? http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

And are you using any other add-on thingies? I haven't played the Doom campaign with Brutal Doom so it could be a bug related to the mod I guess. Also it is the latest version of Brutal Doom? And just so I'm a tech support cliche, did you restart your computer?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 1, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dis astranagant posted:

Monsters attack faster and more aggressively, projectiles move faster, pinkies move faster. Also cheats are disabled.

You can also invoke this behavior without the respawning of Nightmare mode with the -fastmonsters flag.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, updating gzDoom fixed it, thanks.
This is the first time I'm playing Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra-Violence and holy poo poo does it not gently caress around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GUI posted:

Yeah, updating gzDoom fixed it, thanks.
This is the first time I'm playing Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra-Violence and holy poo poo does it not gently caress around.

Oh god, yeah. E4M1 is tough enough (and such a small map!) and then you get to the next level and fuuuuuck :psyduck:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The difficulty drops off sharply after those two though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

The difficulty drops off sharply after those two though.

This episode was arranged poorly. :colbert:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Try lowering the resolution. I don't think they accounted for changes in resolution when doing the cursor controls, so it's set to cover the exact same amount of pixels in the same amount of time whether you're in 320x240 or 1024x768.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There should be a file called Cyb.cfg (or xcyb.cfg) to edit the mouse controls sensitivity settings with separate multipliers for each axis.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Hey guys, some classic Quake action going on. It's a retro jam, this time trying to copy the strange styles and features of the Elder World (aka Ep. 4 ). These maps were all made in a week so they're not full size, but they are well worth playing:

http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61250

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Will have to check that out sometime tonight. Meanwhile (Undertale spoilers-of-sorts), I've been giving Doom's demons a bad time: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49857

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I hadn't seen it posted in the past few pages, so, those of you who were sad about the lack of progress on XLEngine and a modern port of Daggerfall will be happy to know there's another one being worked on. This programmer was apparently writing a bridge between the data files of Daggerfall and Unity and decided a modern port would be a good proof of concept, I guess.

If you have any familiarity with the data formats and Unity, and are interested, it looks like he's soliciting help on his forums.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

horse mans posted:

I hadn't seen it posted in the past few pages, so, those of you who were sad about the lack of progress on XLEngine and a modern port of Daggerfall will be happy to know there's another one being worked on. This programmer was apparently writing a bridge between the data files of Daggerfall and Unity and decided a modern port would be a good proof of concept, I guess.

If you have any familiarity with the data formats and Unity, and are interested, it looks like he's soliciting help on his forums.

:allears: I love this project.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm happy about the idea. I've never played Daggerfall, but it never seemed to get the love from modders in terms of stabilizing it with code patches like Morrowind did. I tried playing through it vanilla and it was just so janky, and the controls were so bizarre.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was hoping the XLEngine guy would just admit defeat and give his work out for someone else to finish. Dark Forces really kind of needs mouselook.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I was hoping the XLEngine guy would just admit defeat and give his work out for someone else to finish. Dark Forces really kind of needs mouselook.

Ah so gzdoom is out of the question? I have no experience with Dark Forces, but I knew it was a close Doom clone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ah so gzdoom is out of the question? I have no experience with Dark Forces, but I knew it was a close Doom clone.
Dark Forces uses Lucasarts' own engine, which is pretty weird.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jedi Engine is actually pretty different. It did 3d objects and room-over-room from the outset. They probably did some reverse engineering of Doom but it's very much it's own thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Heavy_D posted:

Hey guys, some classic Quake action going on. It's a retro jam, this time trying to copy the strange styles and features of the Elder World (aka Ep. 4 ). These maps were all made in a week so they're not full size, but they are well worth playing:

http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61250

Should have seen this coming when I heard "Elder World", but gently caress spawns, seriously

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

horse mans posted:

This really is incredible, even with how little has been done so far. Test build 0.0.1 already has the ENTIRE WORLD ported in, doors work, weapons work, enemies work, it's in HD (the gameworld, but the actual art and cutscenes are still low-res).

GodDAMN :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlxDoDvhPIo

Daggerfall was always my favourite TES game, and having something (hopefully) really stable like this to play it with is just loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The engine Dark Forces use is very similar to the Build engine, in that it allowed for a lot of stuff that Doom did not explicitly allowed. For example, as someone else stated, you could have room over room action. The levels could be incredibly tall, you had 3D items, and you had a lot of extra poo poo.

There was a really cool map I played once that basically did all these "impossible" things with the Jedi engine. So, you would have stairs that led nowhere - you would go up a flight of stairs and end up on the same floor you started on, you had a door in the middle of the room that would change the skybox (but there wasn't a wall or anything, it was just a door in the middle of nowhere), you had rooms that were like 720 degree circles and poo poo like that.

Those last few 2.5d engines were amazing in how hosed up their inner workings are, since a lot of what they did was this incredibly complex poo poo that could allow you to have these impossible spaces.