Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

terrorist ambulance posted:

Conflag staff is bad staff. Don't use it.

Something sure is bad but I'll give you a hint; it ain't the staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

rezatahs posted:

Something sure is bad but I'll give you a hint; it ain't the staff.

Sorry, I don't understand your post. Please translate it into a youtube for me. Thank you.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

terrorist ambulance posted:

Sorry, I don't understand your post. Please translate it into a youtube for me. Thank you.

If you don't know who the bad is in the thread, it's probably you.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This game is fun, I just wish there was a liiittle bit more depth to the melee controls. Like, they could crib some parts of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare's system. Having a few different strikes, mainly.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Game still crashes all over the place for me, but I was able to cap this. Apparently elevators make your throwing arm super strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qULPgyVqQmE

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I just rolled a beam staff with... increased zoom distance???

:psyduck:

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Nordick posted:

This game is fun, I just wish there was a liiittle bit more depth to the melee controls. Like, they could crib some parts of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare's system. Having a few different strikes, mainly.

Well, most weapons have a dedicated group attack and a single target attack, which is enough. Multi-directional attacks work for Chivalry because it's a PVP game and the combat system is designed around this but in Vermintide you're mostly flailing wildly at a group to avoid getting surrounded. I don't think having dedicated keystrokes for left and right sweeps will improve the game. If anything, you'll just be more likely to fumble an attack in a frantic life-or-death situation. Killing Floor 2 has a pretty robust combat system with directional attacks and parries but that's because the role of the melee class is to take on big targets one-on-one. In Vermintide it's the other way around and you'll be one-shotting specials from a safe distance while engaging swarms of slave and clan rats at melee.

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.
I've been having a really weird audio problem. Game sounds will come out of whatever my default Windows sound device is and will happily switch between speakers and headset if I change that setting while the game is running. VOIP picks up in put from the USB headset's microphone, but will only play output through speakers, regardless of what I've set for an output channel.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nordick posted:

It's a tough balance to strike. I think they've done a decent job. One thing they could do would be to add another melee weapon slot, so you could carry rapier & 2h sword, and switch between the two, so you could have some variety in melee styles.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Rolled an orange 2H axe with Regrowth... ... on a charged attack... ... ... with a 1% chance. :negative:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Skandranon posted:

It's a tough balance to strike. I think they've done a decent job. One thing they could do would be to add another melee weapon slot, so you could carry rapier & 2h sword, and switch between the two, so you could have some variety in melee styles.

Nah, choosing and coordinating is a part of the game. Implement that and you make the dwarf and soldier even more interchangable than they already are, and blur the lines between the classes bad enough that you'd ruin the 'blurred lines' phrase even more than that one song from last year did.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kryopsis posted:

Well, most weapons have a dedicated group attack and a single target attack, which is enough. Multi-directional attacks work for Chivalry because it's a PVP game and the combat system is designed around this but in Vermintide you're mostly flailing wildly at a group to avoid getting surrounded. I don't think having dedicated keystrokes for left and right sweeps will improve the game. If anything, you'll just be more likely to fumble an attack in a frantic life-or-death situation. Killing Floor 2 has a pretty robust combat system with directional attacks and parries but that's because the role of the melee class is to take on big targets one-on-one. In Vermintide it's the other way around and you'll be one-shotting specials from a safe distance while engaging swarms of slave and clan rats at melee.
Eh, fair points. I should probably play the game more before starting that kind of theory crafting anyways. I've only just played Saltzpyre so far, too. Got a green flambard from my very first mission, been alternating between that and a hatchet just based on my mood.
Mind you, I didn't mean cloning Chiv's system 1:1, since I agree that separate keys for different horizontal swings would be needlessly complex for this game. Really, I just wish I could cleave rats in two with sick overhead swings from the flambard. Not because of any practical concerns, but just out of sheer :black101:.

Skandranon posted:

One thing they could do would be to add another melee weapon slot, so you could carry rapier & 2h sword, and switch between the two, so you could have some variety in melee styles.
Yeah I would love that. But Sighence is probably right that it would hurt the aspect of different players specializing in different things within a mission.

And now all this talk has made me feel like firing the game up for some more rat murder, so obviously they've done something right.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Sighence posted:

Nah, choosing and coordinating is a part of the game. Implement that and you make the dwarf and soldier even more interchangable than they already are, and blur the lines between the classes bad enough that you'd ruin the 'blurred lines' phrase even more than that one song from last year did.

They pretty much already are interchangeable, with the exception that the dwarf gets better ranged weapons. More weapons & variety will fix this. IE: Solder could have longer weapons like halberds, which the dwarf couldn't hope to wield.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

They pretty much already are interchangeable, with the exception that the dwarf gets better ranged weapons. More weapons & variety will fix this. IE: Solder could have longer weapons like halberds, which the dwarf couldn't hope to wield.

Also swords and axes aren't interchangeable.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone having a problem hitting targets with the repeater gun needs to try to stop moving before firing. Accuracy goes way up when you do that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is it a bug when I pick up a grimoire and hear the wet eyeball squishing sounds louder than rat screams forever, even when I fold it up and put it away? For the entirety of the map? Even if I'm not holding it? Huge loud wet smacking eyelid sounds forever?

How many staff weapons are there? Because this wiki says eight but I've only heard of 4. Also these names are dumb and when even the ones I use aren't named the same as here it inspires no confidence in a comprehensive or accurate list.
http://vermintide.gamepedia.com/Weapons#Bright_Wizard
Like is the piercing bolts the bolt cage staff? or is that the bolt of aqshy staff? What's a great fires of u'zhul and how is that not just the fireball staff?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

Anyone having a problem hitting targets with the repeater gun needs to try to stop moving before firing. Accuracy goes way up when you do that.

There's a generous accuracy bonus to crouching too.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Krinkle posted:

Is it a bug when I pick up a grimoire and hear the wet eyeball squishing sounds louder than rat screams forever, even when I fold it up and put it away? For the entirety of the map? Even if I'm not holding it? Huge loud wet smacking eyelid sounds forever?

How many staff weapons are there? Because this wiki says eight but I've only heard of 4. Also these names are dumb and when even the ones I use aren't named the same as here it inspires no confidence in a comprehensive or accurate list.
http://vermintide.gamepedia.com/Weapons#Bright_Wizard
Like is the piercing bolts the bolt cage staff? or is that the bolt of aqshy staff? What's a great fires of u'zhul and how is that not just the fireball staff?

There are 4 different staves. The wiki, for whatever dumb reason, decided to list each spell separately (so each staff has 2 of the 8 listed spells, one on LMB and one on RMB).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

CaptCommy posted:

There are 4 different staves. The wiki, for whatever dumb reason, decided to list each spell separately (so each staff has 2 of the 8 listed spells, one on LMB and one on RMB).

I looked really hard for that possibility, I couldn't find a "does a dumb shotgun blast in front of you" spell so I didn't know what to think.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I think the game is trying to tell me something.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Krinkle posted:

I looked really hard for that possibility, I couldn't find a "does a dumb shotgun blast in front of you" spell so I didn't know what to think.

I think that's 'Sear', and it's not dumb :colbert:.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sometimes the loot table just decides "You want something useful? gently caress you, have a bunch of repeaters and blunderbuses."

At least I got the blue, which will be useful to melt down for unlocking orange traits.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

“They play at being men. They've been trained by the Innsman to dance to music, to drink from cups, hold tiny spears and swords, even fence. I've not seen it—nor would care to.”

The picture struck the Sergeants's fancy. He envisioned himself small as a rat, dueling with rats who wore lace at their throats and wrists, slipping through the mazy tunnels of their underground cities, becoming a great connoisseur of cheese and smoked meats, perchance wooing a slim rat-queen and being surprised by her rat-king husband and having to dagger-fight him in the dark. Then he noted one of the white rats looking at him intently through the silver bars with a cold inhuman blue eye and suddenly his idea didn't seem amusing at all. He shivered in the sunlight.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sometimes the loot table just decides "You want something useful? gently caress you, have a bunch of repeaters and blunderbuses."

At least I got the blue, which will be useful to melt down for unlocking orange traits.

Hey now, there was a handgun up there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've yet to roll 7 successes. So that wasn't even considered.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It'll happen eventually, then we'll all congratulate you on your orange blunderbuss.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Got an orange hammer for the Dorf with near-max Bloodlust and Swift Slaying (Charged). Then something useless like Improved Pommel. But still.

That's a good rat stick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what's happened to me, but suddenly I can't do poo poo with my blue zweihander. Push rats and then charge a swing, get interrupted by the one slaverat I missed with my push.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Al Borland posted:

Player steals and hogs all potions? Check!
Player runs off on their own and doesn't help others? Check!
Player doesn't pick up tomes or grimoires to help out? Check!
Player is an elf: CHECK!!!!

For me this is every dwarf player, especially the running off part.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Radish posted:

For me this is every dwarf player, especially the running off part.

This seems fitting for a Dwarf. Although only if you find them later on a pile of Rat corpses and covered in trinkets and blood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Had a game of smugglers run on Hard. Some level six Kruber sees a stormvermin patrol come marchine his way, rather than avoid them or throwing a bomb, he decides the best course of action is to open up with his repeater at point blank range. Proceeds to get stomped and the rest of the party goes down to half health trying to save his sorry rear end.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm a Bright Wizard. We get to the end of Nightmare Horn of Magnus, full tomes and grimoires. We finish the final event, I jump down to the elevator, and look back to make sure everybody else makes it through. Dwarf and Soldier make it through and get on the elevator with me. The thing is, our Elf player was out in front, where the gently caress has she gone?

Oh, she's running over to the god drat ammo closet. She starts coming back, but gets downed and not enough rats are rushing her to finish her in a reasonable amount of time. I'm forced to use so much aoe that I overheat and explode, but its ok because the elf is finally dead as a result. All the other 2 have to do is activate the lift.

Naturally, they sit there and fight to the death. loving pubbies, even when they're skilled players they're still retarded.

Bonus: Elf player, who was supposed to be watching the rear (considering she was always the slowest to actually move), complained that we were moving too fast and that she should be out in front so she can snipe random clanrats.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Had a game of smugglers run on Hard. Some level six Kruber sees a stormvermin patrol come marchine his way, rather than avoid them or throwing a bomb, he decides the best course of action is to open up with his repeater at point blank range. Proceeds to get stomped and the rest of the party goes down to half health trying to save his sorry rear end.

Honestly, every time I see a patrol lately when playing as my dwarf, I'm tempted to pull out my 90%+ overpenetration chance orange handgun and see if I can pop 4 Stormvermin heads in one shot.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly, every time I see a patrol lately when playing as my dwarf, I'm tempted to pull out my 90%+ overpenetration chance orange handgun and see if I can pop 4 Stormvermin heads in one shot.

Spoiler alert. You can and its amazing.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I'm sure other people must've noticed this already, but it seems like some weapons (all?) have had their green/blue rarity models swapped.

Am I wrong?

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 1, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've got an orange soldier handgun that looks exactly like the green one it replaced so I've been figuring it's just that higher level weapons can sometimes get fancy models.

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

The problem with the repeater gun is not its accuracy, the problem is its reliability. Elmer Fudd bullet patterns like so:

Or nonsensical delayed 'hits', even when you're hosting, like so:

Happen all the god drat time and it just isn't worth it for a weapon that specializes in horde clearing. You can talk about ways to minimize this horseshit, or you can just take a handgun that works first time, every time. Or, even better, play the dwarf and bring Drakefires. There's something inherently jacked up in how the repeaters are firing their scatter shot right now and THAT is what makes them not worth it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 1, 2015

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

My favorite moment so far was killing an Ogre in Nightmare by exploding myself right before it punched me to death. :rock:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
make the repeater pistols a dual wield option and I will bring them

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
A lot of green weapon models are more ornate than blues which is likely an oversight. Actually a lot of green and orange weapons share the same model. http://imgur.com/a/Zjwf8

E: unless weapon models are randomised? Wouldn't be surprising considering how much RNG there is in this game already for loot.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Pumpking posted:

A lot of green weapon models are more ornate than blues which is likely an oversight. Actually a lot of green and orange weapons share the same model. http://imgur.com/a/Zjwf8

E: unless weapon models are randomised? Wouldn't be surprising considering how much RNG there is in this game already for loot.

All I know is my green Sword for BW was burning and glowing and cool as gently caress, but my new orange sword just has a skull on the crosspiece, no flames, no glowing, no satisfying TSSSS sound when I brand rats with it.

• Locked thread