Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

If they're bill collectors calling for you, the app for that sort of thing is probably going to be Credit Karma, followed by your bank's mobile app if they offer billpay.

Haha, solid advice, but I have no debt of any kind outside of my mortgage which I've never missed. Google says it is a debt collection agency, but they haven't left a message and I have no interest in talking to them because again, I have no debt. Could be they are trying to collect a debt from family or something, but whatever the case, gently caress em.

Uthor posted:

Create a contact that sends them directly to voicemail?

Cool, I'll look into that. Good solution cause it gives them a chance to leave a message instead of outright closing them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jewce posted:

Haha, solid advice, but I have no debt of any kind outside of my mortgage which I've never missed. Google says it is a debt collection agency, but they haven't left a message and I have no interest in talking to them because again, I have no debt. Could be they are trying to collect a debt from family or something, but whatever the case, gently caress em.

Cool, I'll look into that. Good solution cause it gives them a chance to leave a message instead of outright closing them out.

Could just be a wrong number. I've gotten collection calls for other people quite a few times. They would call me like 8 times and give up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This reminds me of when I first got my phone number from Verizon 6 years ago, and I had bill-collectors calling me leaving messages in Spanish for a few months. That was fun.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jewce posted:

I have a single contact called "IGNORE" and just keep adding spammers to that single contact. No need to create individual entries.

Downside: random voicemail notifications after not getting a call.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Uthor posted:

I have a single contact called "IGNORE" and just keep adding spammers to that single contact. No need to create individual entries.

Downside: random voicemail notifications after not getting a call.

Fortunately I don't get many poo poo calls, but that's a good idea for the future. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Been debating about whether to switch up numbers when I activate FI on my 6p. I'm known for switching numbers and I wasn't going to this time, but now I'm not so sure. Guess I'll see how annoying this gets.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also if you are getting debt collection calls not for you follow the FTC guide. If they keep calling you report them, the FTC can force them to pay out compensation.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea just use auto reject on your phone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spooky thing: I bought a suit from Men's Wearhouse a while back and the guy who had my number beforehand had the same measurements and first name as me. Never set foot inside a MW before, but I get in there and after picking the suit they just took it right back for tailoring and brought it back with a pretty good fit. I think I needed the pant cuffs let out a smidge but I'm one of those weirdos who is picky about how the cuff rests on the shoe.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Red Warrior posted:

Also if you are getting debt collection calls not for you follow the FTC guide. If they keep calling you report them, the FTC can force them to pay out compensation.
Debt collectors are horrible shitbags and should always be reported for harassing you. The process is pretty easy: https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/debtcollection/ask#currentPage=0

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Spooky thing: I bought a suit from Men's Wearhouse a while back and the guy who had my number beforehand had the same measurements and first name as me. Never set foot inside a MW before, but I get in there and after picking the suit they just took it right back for tailoring and brought it back with a pretty good fit. I think I needed the pant cuffs let out a smidge but I'm one of those weirdos who is picky about how the cuff rests on the shoe.

I worked at a Men's Wearhouse when I was 16. One of the managers told a story where the company wouldn't come out to fix the sign when a light blew out. Finally she called them and said, "Just want to let you know, we're the Men's earhouse." Apparently that was enough to get them to fix it.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I have a question about Action Launcher 3. I have an N6 and I can't seem to get the QuickPage function to work. I have the pro edition of AL3 and it's enabled in the menu. I can also drag stuff onto the quick page icon but I can't get it to display no matter where on the right I swipe. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in this version?

Edit: Nevermind, a reboot seemed to fix it.

Ochowie fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 31, 2015

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's good for camera apps? The camera app on the nexus 6p is s bit lacking

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just read about an app called CLONEit, which migrates data (including installed apps but I think not data) to a new Android phone. Since we all know Google's solution is still half-baked (on Lollipop at least), this sounds like a right helpful tool. Can anyone see any suspicious aspects of this? Obviously you wouldn't have the app back up contacts, and you can use some other app to back up and restore texts if you don't want this developer possibly getting that information.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

What's good for camera apps? The camera app on the nexus 6p is s bit lacking

Manual Camera and Camera FV-5 are the usual go-tos for cameras. Manual Camera has a nicer UI but FV-5 had more advanced features the last time I checked.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jewce posted:

I need to block some folks from calling me and they have my actual cell number, not my voice number that makes blocking easy.

Is there a go to app for this sort of thing?

Usually your phone service provider will block them.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

hey santa baby posted:

Something seems to have been fixed, as of today the former PROTOCOL_ERROR podcasts now download correctly. Yay.

Yeah I noticed this a few days back. Wonder what changed.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jewce posted:

Sometimes when you close a checking/savings brick and mortar bank account (like BofA) about a year later you will get random calls from collectors saying you still owe BofA money for a check you wrote and then closed your account before it cleared. That happened to me about 8 years ago. All you do is ask for the paperwork to be mailed to you and they never bother you again. gently caress you BofA for selling them and gently caress you whatever scumbag collection company bought the old closed accounts and tried to milk former customers for their credit card numbers.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What's a good android irc app? I tried andchat but it wasn't that good, I couldn't figure out a way to copy text from the screen buffer for example.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 6P stopped connecting to Wi-Fi channel 13 again. Gave up and moved my network but this is kind of lazy coding, not bothering to test the non-US bands properly. Does anyone else have a 6P in Europe and can test this?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

tekz posted:

What's a good android irc app? I tried andchat but it wasn't that good, I couldn't figure out a way to copy text from the screen buffer for example.

Irccloud is great if you're cool making an account and going through a web service

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

My 6P stopped connecting to Wi-Fi channel 13 again. Gave up and moved my network but this is kind of lazy coding, not bothering to test the non-US bands properly. Does anyone else have a 6P in Europe and can test this?

Shouldn't be using 13 anyway. Nasty, overlapping channel.

1, 6 or 11.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I'm looking for an app to track my daily data usage and what apps are using the most data. Amy suggestions?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I use Google Photos to back up my camera roll online. When I use the app to open a photo that has been backed up, it only loads a low-resolution thumbnail and I have to zoom into the image for it to load the full-resolution version. The full-res version is stored on my phone so I don't know why it doesn't just load that in the first place. Is this how it's supposed to work? Can I change it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Shouldn't be using 13 anyway. Nasty, overlapping channel.

1, 6 or 11.
This is true but the rest of my block aren't as smart as us and have their networks spread all over 1-11 so 13 is the best option.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tunga posted:

This is true but the rest of my block aren't as smart as us and have their networks spread all over 1-11 so 13 is the best option.

You probably won't be happy until you set up a 5 GHz AP. If your local neighborhood has that much badly-planned AP deployment, until then you're probably just screwed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You probably won't be happy until you set up a 5 GHz AP. If your local neighborhood has that much badly-planned AP deployment, until then you're probably just screwed.
Yeah, good point.

Probably just going to swap the crappy ISP router out since it doesn't support 5GHz or 11ac. Turns out there's no modem and my ISP claims I can just connect any random router to the wall and it'll work so my flatmate's Airport Extreme should do the trick.

Edit: Also just realised this is the app thread, no idea how I ended up posting about Wi-Fi here, sorry.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I changed jobs about a month ago, and manually set my work address to my new place rather than waiting for Google to notice it. My company is listed on Google Maps so I was able to choose the exact location. My start time is the same as in my previous job. So far, Google Now has not ONCE reported commute time to work, although it did so every day before I moved. Anyone know why this might be, or how to fix it?

(it's still reporting time to home)

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 2, 2015

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
From my experience, Google Now does whatever it wants. When it works, it's almost magical. And then it doesn't and you feel like an idiot trying to fix it.

At the moment, my "home address" when adding location based reminders is a place I'm driving by often but never ever have been to or even stopped once. For everything else (commutes, navigation in general, weather, etc.), Google has the right address. But for reminders, it's hosed because NOW.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 2, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

chippy posted:

I changed jobs about a month ago, and manually set my work address to my new place rather than waiting for Google to notice it. My company is listed on Google Maps so I was able to choose the exact location. My start time is the same as in my previous job. So far, Google Now has not ONCE reported commute time to work, although it did so every day before I moved. Anyone know why this might be, or how to fix it?

AlexF posted:

From my experience, Google Now does whatever it wants. When it works, it's almost magical. And then it doesn't and you feel like an idiot trying to fix it.

At the moment, my "home address" when adding location based reminders is a place I'm driving by often but never ever have been to or even stopped once. For everything else (commutes, navigation in general, weather, etc.), Google has the right address. But for reminders, it's hosed because NOW.

Yeah, Google Now decided to make my home address some place I drove by on the way to work also for about a month or so randomly, even though I have my home address set in google maps. It eventually fixed itself, but it was pretty drat annoying seeing Now cards leading to some random rear end place.

I say this all the time but we really need a :google: emote in the form of the :dice: one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, Google Now decided to make my home address some place I drove by on the way to work also for about a month or so randomly, even though I have my home address set in google maps. It eventually fixed itself, but it was pretty drat annoying seeing Now cards leading to some random rear end place.

I say this all the time but we really need a :google: emote in the form of the :dice: one.

You should just drive to that address and go inside. "Hi, honey, Google says I live here. Guess I'm your husband, now."

Google Now reminds me to watch Gotham every week and every week I tell it I'm not interested in the show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Uthor posted:

You should just drive to that address and go inside. "Hi, honey, Google says I live here. Guess I'm your husband, now."

Google Now reminds me to watch Gotham every week and every week I tell it I'm not interested in the show.

I guess it takes that long for Google Now to unlearn something. I was telling it to stop showing me the Hearthstone-related news and articles for... I don't know, a month maybe... and only then it finally stopped.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Now shows me the weather for some little township that has, literally, like 10 buildings in it and is a half hour away from me. Meanwhile, if I search "weather" it shows me the correct location.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All those reasons are why I hate google now. I'd use it if it would let me select specific "things" like "I want to see traffic from this place to this place, but only on thursdays around 4pm" but no, google wants it to be smart enough to know without you telling it, well guess what, computers just aren't there yet.

I almost missed a flight because when google added stuff to my calendar from a confirmation e-mail it didn't do the timezones right on the return journey. Good thing I double-checked.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bhodi posted:

All those reasons are why I hate google now. I'd use it if it would let me select specific "things" like "I want to see traffic from this place to this place, but only on thursdays around 4pm" but no, google wants it to be smart enough to know without you telling it, well guess what, computers just aren't there yet.

It's annoying because you used to be able to add TV shows manually and now it goes by your search history, I guess? It's kind of a moot point for me anyway as I never watch TV "live" but a day or a week later on Hulu, but I liked the reminder when new seasons would start.

Google Now also gets confused when I'm driving and will tell me that my car is parked 1-2 miles away at a place I drove past (not stopped, not even for a red light) once every week or two.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

Do you have a g+ profile and does it have your updated work address in it? I had a similar problem this summer and that ended up being it, or part of it anyway.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What is the best free ad blocker right now? I'm using a galaxy tab 3

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Non-root? I use lightning browser after someone here posted about it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Ghostery blocks everything as well (stand-alone browser). I use it almost exclusively for browsing The Verge.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Manky posted:

Do you have a g+ profile and does it have your updated work address in it? I had a similar problem this summer and that ended up being it, or part of it anyway.

I do, but I don't think it has any work address on it. I'll take a look. If that's it, it's retarded, because I can go into the 'Customise' section of Now and see that my work address is set just fine, including the name of the business.

e: I can see company name but not work address on G+ - where do you even set it?

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

I do, but I don't think it has any work address on it. I'll take a look. If that's it, it's retarded, because I can go into the 'Customise' section of Now and see that my work address is set just fine, including the name of the business.

e: I can see company name but not work address on G+ - where do you even set it?

Once you're in the About part of your profile it's in the Contact Information card. If it's not set there, I would add it. My problem was with my home address, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same or similar dumb thing was happening to you. When I moved, I corrected it in Now, but using Now I would always get a card prompting me if I wanted to use my old address - even after two weeks of daily commuting, without going back to the old address, and daily correcting the address in Now. When updating other info I finally got to my G+ profile and saw it had the old address; I changed it, updated my privacy settings, and that was that.

• Locked thread