Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean on the other hand doesn't northern africa have like 4 provinces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Y'all fetchers should be playing this btw

I would but I also had the Warhammer mod installed and I think the overlay from that is fuckin' up Elder Kings somehow and making it crash. Portraits are all jacked up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's honestly kinda whack how North-Africa of all places, is by far the the best part of the continent, because, like, the Duchy of Tunis is crazy; all except counties one have harbors, Tunis itself is a 6 holding country and the only real reason I don't play it more is that Berbers are boring. It's still one of my fav places to prepare-invade though; especially now that you can't do it to the Umms anymore. The one thing that sorta made them fun was camel cavalry and now retinues are poo poo and you'll never get to use them until they're mostly superfluous.

Adding a corridor to the east and a coast and a few events would be enough really; though I can't imagine it would be too hard to pay an anthropologist or historian a few SEK to make a short list of poo poo interesting enough to be events. Adding the trade route system to Africa too is obvious, but at that point ya gotta wonder if we're moving towards almost TW level of building.

Still, they're able to confine nomad buildings to places, adding more like that to actually vaguely differentiate places would be a good thing too, without being dreadfully complex.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

FutonForensic posted:

I would but I also had the Warhammer mod installed and I think the overlay from that is fuckin' up Elder Kings somehow and making it crash. Portraits are all jacked up.

What do you mean, you're running the two mods at the same time? You're not supposed to do that.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Skellybones posted:

What do you mean, you're running the two mods at the same time? You're not supposed to do that.

No that's not what I mean. Actually I don't know what I mean. I'm confused and scared because everything looks like this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dudes all CHIM'd up

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also if my drinking doesn't get in the way some of these Africa ideas I'm going to mod toy with and maybe we all can't come to a nice middle ground

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

What a great new icon for the Inbred trait.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Speaking of portraits, I just spent the last hour redoing all my Inuit portraits so they now had Mongol clothes since the Steppe graphics better suited the InuitTuniit (Finally came up with a better name for them). Then I redid the Norse-Mesoamerican portraits for my "Skræling" culture.

So now I made it so the Tuniit live on Iceland in 769. If you convert to the Germanic faith you'll eventually get an event that tells you how your people have begun to embrace the Nordic culture and you become Skræling. Now I just need to make it so it's not so loving boring waiting for boats to appear. :negative:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Think I'm beginning my first foray into "real" CK2. I've played pretty easy games just trying to get the kingdom to stay stable, but now that my glorious Wessexian Britain has stayed rock solid for generations now, I think's time to break the game apart with an Anti-Pope.

It's like unleashing a tornado in SimCity. Can't wait to see the chaos. :unsmigghh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
If I want to run CK2 at higher res, what sort of specs should I be looking at? I currently have... an early 2011 MBP, which struggles at even middlin' resolutions, and now that I've got a 30" Cinema Display hooked to it (2560x1600) I definitely feel its limitations.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 29, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

FutonForensic posted:

No that's not what I mean. Actually I don't know what I mean. I'm confused and scared because everything looks like this

How did you install each mod?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Skellybones posted:

How did you install each mod?

I put the Warhammer mod in the mod folder, used the installer .exe for EK.

Edit: Just tried running the installer again and now the faces are fine. :shrug:

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 30, 2015

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I am glad to see africachat. Africa has so much drat potential and I still like playing them despite how plain they are. Also, I find that it's not too hard to keep the Muslims off you. 24/7 diplomacy with the Umayyads kept them off me and the Abbassids didn't seem to give a poo poo what I did so I was able to mostly deal with one Muslim emirate at a time.

Also now the big Muslim blob is pretty worried about me but it's too late. I've got enough troops between levies, the Spirit Guardians, and mercs that I can stomp out the Spanish or Arabian Muslims before they can unite and hit me real good. Especially since I'm between them and the AI ain't smart enough to sail all their troops to the other side and ball up together. Instead they come marching in from east at west over land and I chew up one side before moving to the other.

The master plan is to take all of africa and then start conquering European and Arabian kingdoms and installing independent dynasty members for giggles.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 30, 2015

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

A well done African DLC would make playing an African Muslim/Copt at least distinct enough to merit the choice, as well as make West African Pagans more interesting of course.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm sure it would piss off a whole bunch of people too, which is also a huge bonus.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I'm a sick gently caress. I just made an event chain where if you're Tuniit or Skræling and have the lunatic trait, you go on a quest to become a walrus. :gonk: I'm now looking for clips from Tusk to rotoscope and make into an event banner.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Finally, a use for the VIET tooth-brushing events.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

The master plan is to take all of africa and then start conquering European and Arabian kingdoms and installing independent dynasty members for giggles.
This is my fav thing. Just continue to build up one super strong center but throw as many dynasty members out there as I can and see how they do.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Damnit, all that hard work, and the event crashes upon testing. But it works without the custom picture I added. :negative:

I'll keep the event in, but I guess it won't have Justin Long in all his walrus glory.

EDIT: Nope, looks like something's wrong with the event itself. Damnit, well, back to the drawing board.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 31, 2015

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I experimented with inbreeding a bit recently with a Messalian emperor of the HRE. Anyhow, he wasn't emperor for long. I think the highlight was about 70 or 80 years in when my (ugly, lunatic, great pox, lover's pox too I think) guy's depressed sister-wife gave birth to a great pox, inbred, lunatic monstrosity that died infirm before reaching age 2. I had a few others like that - inbred, lunatic, hairlip, that kind of thing. Only the health children would be selected for the next generation.

Made me feel real good about myself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Delthalaz posted:

I experimented with inbreeding a bit recently

Your family must be very proud.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 31, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Games > Crusader Kings II: I experimented with inbreeding a bit recently

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, the inbreeding religions really suffer for how the AI seems unwilling to take concubines all the time, like the player.

Leads to dynasties that are even more unstable than usual.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
If anyones looking to make some easy money in upcoming CK2 tournaments, theres an easy multiplayer bug where you go put a plot on a courtier in your court or anyone that you can definitely kill (very high plot power percentage) then when the pop up to do the deed comes up, before selecting 'Ok' to give the go ahead to kill that person, I switch my plot to kill to whoever I want to die.

Toxx clause if this doesn't work for you, and you are following these steps. I've already contacted paradox asking for my bug bounty.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LolitaSama

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I came back to CK2 after a long time away and decided to try some merchant republic action.

Started out as a patrician in Amalfi in 867 and some 100 years on I've formed The Most Serene Republic of Sicily. With the income I have I doubt I will lose the election again, but will there be any weirdness with having the titular "republic of amalfi" title still active or does that not matter?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I got a Tuniit culture made and inhabiting Iceland in 769, I got a Skræling melting pot culture with conversion events. I got a pagan religion added, with possibility of reformation. I also added a Walrus hunt.

What else could I add to this mod? I can't think of anything else, but it seems too small to release, even for testing, especially since there's nothing to do until 800 when the Viking Age starts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

I came back to CK2 after a long time away and decided to try some merchant republic action.

Started out as a patrician in Amalfi in 867 and some 100 years on I've formed The Most Serene Republic of Sicily. With the income I have I doubt I will lose the election again, but will there be any weirdness with having the titular "republic of amalfi" title still active or does that not matter?

It's practically inert in a merchant republic. Patricians (and Republic vassals) can hold sub-Republics without any weirdness as far as I know.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been trying to build up to the kingdom of Italy while underneath the thumb of the HRE, but ever since the latest emperor switched the crown authority to medium, there's been nothing for me to do but quietly prey upon the independent merchant republics. I've been trying to build up a faction, but I can't seem to get one beyond 50% strength. I've been sending my spymaster out to scheme and politely ask/coerce people into joining my faction, but even after they say they'll join up, they don't show up on the faction screen. I'm not sure what to do.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Emperor just might be very popular/established.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Which means the answer is obvious :ese:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Games > Crusader Kings II: I experimented with inbreeding a bit recently

Here I am: Duke Berenger 'the drunkard' von Slutsky with my daughter-wife Klargul

with my dearly departed sister-wife Romilda

my family tree

Romilda's family tree. Note our daughter Klargul, the apple of my eye.

Our healthy son, appropriately named Miraculo. I think there must have been some cucking but my guy was too stupid to figure it out. The tree is beautiful and pure.

Miraculo's family tree

My daughter-wife Klargul's family tree

Our less than healthy son/grandson Warglbog

My sister Luitgard

My brother Gunzelin - he was born a twin with Ernst. Sadly, the Great Pox took him.

Ernst almost made it! Too bad about that hairlip.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Papa Warglbarg - taken by the Great Pox

Mama Klara

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, even with the divine marriage reduction to inbred chance, it does appear that whatever mechanism they use behind the scenes to calculate the probability of being inbred eventually approaches 100% if you keep it up.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
So I take it that in progress events from Way of Life will cancel out if the current character dies, right? My old fart ruler got the "castle for 400 gold" event from the Rulership focus and then promptly died soon after. My heir has been ruling for ~3 years now (well past the time it would take for the castle to be built) so I guess that's money down the drain?

Way of Life really owns though, and I'm glad I picked it up. Some of these events are really hilarious.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So I got a Tuniit culture made and inhabiting Iceland in 769, I got a Skræling melting pot culture with conversion events. I got a pagan religion added, with possibility of reformation. I also added a Walrus hunt.

What else could I add to this mod? I can't think of anything else, but it seems too small to release, even for testing, especially since there's nothing to do until 800 when the Viking Age starts.

Start working on Greenland and Vinland.

:v:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You've made sure Iceland has 400 provinces, right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Historically speaking Iceland should be divided into four administrative divisions known as farthings each one with two things(except the north farthing which had four) or assemblies were law was recited and debated and those accused of crimes would sometimes be judged . Each farthing one with nine goðorð(except the north which had twelve) which were sort of like chiefdoms except free men could choose which goði in the farthing they would follow and had very little direct power and was primarily in charge of settling feuds and presiding over ceremonies. The followers of each goði would also support him at assemblies, especially the althing which was a yearly national assembly, and fight for him in conflicts.

Over time the goðorð became consolidated in the hands of the most powerful and richest families which eventually lead to a messy civil war in the 13th century known as the Age of the Sturlungs. The Sturlungs being the most famous clan.

If I knew poo poo about modding I would probably try to make an Age of the Sturlungs mod set purely in Iceland with tiny armies that take months to get anywhere because of all the mountains and lava fields and glacial rivers in the way.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

with tiny armies that take months to get anywhere because of all the mountains and lava fields and glacial rivers in the way.

That doesn't sound awful at all.

• Locked thread