Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

I use Autodesk Fusion 360, also free. Very feature rich.
Yeah Fusion is pretty good, I've only had an issue once where it wouldn't save my work because the cloud was too busy or some crap. A neat feature that might get overlooked is you can parametric model using the "Enter Parameters" screen which supports expressions like box_x = box_w + wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Combat Pretzel posted:

PEI is Kapton, right? If so, I print on 65°C on Polyimide tape. Sticks well here.

The PEI people are referring to is usually a sheet of Ultem 1000 that is adhered to the regular build plate, making it so you don't have to use any adhesives for PLA or ABS. The heated bed can remain off for PLA and you only have to run about 80C on ABS for the first two or three layers, then you stage the heat back down to 60 for the remainder of the build.

There are a bunch of guides out there, but this one (if not the best) at least has the best pictures to go along with the steps (some of the better ones are for specific printers, while this one is more generic).

http://www.instructables.com/id/PEI-Board-for-3D-Printer/?ALLSTEPS

I ordered mine from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPRDDLY/ref=biss_dp_sa1

After picking the thickness and dimensions needed for my print bed.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 30, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh, it's a sheet instead of tape.

Also, when printing a solid layer on top of support, does the first layer count as simple perimeter/top, or is it considered bridging. I'd like Simplify3D to cake a little more material the first top solid layer than what it does right now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh, it's a sheet instead of tape.

Also, when printing a solid layer on top of support, does the first layer count as simple perimeter/top, or is it considered bridging. I'd like Simplify3D to cake a little more material the first top solid layer than what it does right now.

I just tell it to print a couple more solid top layers under the Layer tab in Advanced Settings for the process I'm using.

Like if I've got 4 solid Bottom Layers and 4 Shells, I'll have 7-9 Top layers (especially for something with a curvy/wavy top surface, more Top layers is better).

That print settings guide that Simplify3D posted is a really good read, too.

EDIT: I think it's already been posted in this thread, but here it is again. https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 30, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey look, servos!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You sure about that, boss? :raise:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

You sure about that, boss? :raise:

I meant to say stepper :doh:

I've been working with servos on another project.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Built a spool storage rack today with minimal woodworking skill and effort!

Guess how i made the radius on top and bottom :v:

e: made an instructable for it: http://instructables.com/id/Super-Simple-Spool-Storage-Rack/

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 2, 2015

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I have a glass fronted cabinet I was thinking of converting like that - closing up all the gaps I can I putting a load of desiccant in it. I print in PLA but you're tempting me to get some PETG for christmas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wish S3D had separate extrusion multipliers for all type of elements. My perimeters look mighty fine, but the top layer looks pretty sparse, and I want to cake only so much solid layers onto it (quadcopter, least weight). I could bump the multiplier, but it may mess with my perimeters.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Depending on your hardware and software set up, you can turn up the flow rate while printing. It's a bit of a pain to have to be sure you're there for the last few layers, but if it gets to the part you want without having to alter any of the printing values to keep the mass down, it may be your best option.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish S3D had separate extrusion multipliers for all type of elements. My perimeters look mighty fine, but the top layer looks pretty sparse, and I want to cake only so much solid layers onto it (quadcopter, least weight). I could bump the multiplier, but it may mess with my perimeters.

Try this?

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/different-settings-for-different-regions-of-a-model/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did that for a tall piece (175mm) that I had to kick up at a near vertical angle to fit in the printbed. I set up support so it touched the piece, but only had it for the first 20mm, to give it a strong base. Once that printed the rest had zero support to save plastic and time.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Can anyone justify to me why netfabb is thousands of dollars? Does anyone use it regularly?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Always wondered why you could specify multiple processes. Thanks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Greatest Living Man posted:

Can anyone justify to me why netfabb is thousands of dollars? Does anyone use it regularly?

Nobody buys the premium version.

Basic is good enough.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm 3d printing something that consists of a beam rotating around an axle. Is there a general rule as to how much smaller I should make the axle rod compared to the hole it goes through?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay, so I am bad at modeling.

Here is what I will be referencing:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1104164

I found a 3D model of a VW bus, but it was one of those full complicated models with interiors and stuff. I removed the interior models, and made it a solid shell. But, on the model, things like the hubcaps, bumpers, and headlights are still separate shells in the STL, so if you scale it down, the headlights don't print. I've tried opening up the model in meshmixer, using the "separate shell" command, then selecting the headlight and trying to "boolean unison" it back into the base model so it is a solid part. Every time I do this it gives me an unknown fatal error in the tool and crashes. I can't open this STL in solidworks as it has too many polygons (40000 limit in SW) and I can't for the life of me figure out zbrush. Does anybody want to give it a shot?

As a second issue, there is some artifacting around the passenger side wheel well in the model. I tried to split the model in half with meshmixer, mirror it, and recombine, but at the combining point it gets all artifacty and mushy, if that makes sense. Is there an easier way to do that?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Subyng posted:

I'm 3d printing something that consists of a beam rotating around an axle. Is there a general rule as to how much smaller I should make the axle rod compared to the hole it goes through?

I think you need to experiment a little bit since different plastics will shrink differently, and it depends on the tolerances your printer can keep as well (layer to layer alignment will also impact how well things fit). I remember reading that holes actually become bigger as plastic shrinks, which can be a bit counter-intuitive.

Personally, for fit dependant parts I usually just have a file handy and file the pieces to fit, which isn't really a problem if you're making prototypes/one offs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The one time I leave something unattended. :toot:

Gotta put the blue tape back on, thing detached mid-print. Friend of mine prints Colorfabb XT, which is PET too, on blue tape and it seems to stick well.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gotta put the blue tape back on, thing detached mid-print. Friend of mine prints Colorfabb XT, which is PET too, on blue tape and it seems to stick well.

That sucks, happened to me a couple of weeks ago with a Flashforge Dreamer. Because of bad calibration the nozzle nudged the model being printed and because of slightly too high temp on the buildplate, the model came loose and jammed itself under the nozzle. The printer didnt find this to be a problem and continued to extrude material. Found it in the morning after, a big lump of 3D-cancer that had embedded itself in the printerhead, covered both extruders and the driving belt. The printer is up and running again, but i will be really careful from now on

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The one time you leave something unattended... Cthulhu.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rexxed posted:

The one time you leave something unattended... Cthulhu.

Abstract 9/11 sculpture

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you printing on a glass bed? When I'm worried about adhesion, I just run a glue stick over the glass wherever I'm going to print, and PLA and PET both stick very well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Was doing Kapton on aluminum bed. Put blue tape back on, the PET sticks like hell on it. I doubt they'll detach during print anymore.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I've only done 10 or so prints, but I've had a much bigger problem with unsticking objects from the bed than getting them to stick. Is adhesion a problem that comes with age?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah seriously, pla on good tape sticks so hard that I'm more afraid of breaking the part pulling it off then losing it halfway through the print job

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

bobua posted:

I've only done 10 or so prints, but I've had a much bigger problem with unsticking objects from the bed than getting them to stick. Is adhesion a problem that comes with age?

Its mainly a problem that comes with ABS, particularly larger objects that have more distance to warp over.

Or machines with unlevel beds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

Yeah seriously, pla on good tape sticks so hard that I'm more afraid of breaking the part pulling it off then losing it halfway through the print job

I've had to take a thin razor blade before and scrap the tape off the bed to get the print off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

bobua posted:

Is adhesion a problem that comes with age?

Not really age per se, but there are things that can reduce adhesion over time if you don't maintain the machine. For instance: after a lot of prints, the wax coating on blue tape will get worn off, and parts won't stick as well. If you replace the blue tape regularly this isn't a problem. If you allow your bed to become out-of-level, the parts won't stick in the areas where there's not enough first-layer squish. If you have a glass bed, touching it can leave finger oils on the surface that will prevent plastic from sticking in those spots. Clean it off with windex or a strong organic solvent (99% isopropanol works well) until it's spotless.

I've also tried a couple of different types of glue for difficult parts. Drawing a cheap office glue stick all over the bed seems to be the best -- the parts come off with a little bit of sticky glue on the bottom, but it's washable. A 1:4 mixture of white glue and water painted onto the bed with a foam brush makes the parts stick ferociously well, so much that I've actually pulled little conchoidal chunks of glass out of the bed while trying to remove larger pieces.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CommieGIR posted:

Hey look, servos!

I had to switch one of those with a kysan on an extruder because it kept failing on retracts because it kept skipping on direction changes.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Picked up some of this esun PETG and it is by far the best filament I've ever used. It's better in almost every way. My overhangs and bridges have never looked so good. And the prints are way stronger than what I was getting with the expensive Madesolid PET+ ($38/lb). No smell, no warping, sticks perfectly to PEI@60C and comes off without drama. I'm in love.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah just wait until supports :(

Also, contact sales@intservo.com re: the PETG stuff. He's an authorized US distributor and will usually cut you deals, especially if you get a little wad of it at once.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

insta posted:

Yeah just wait until supports :(

Also, contact sales@intservo.com re: the PETG stuff. He's an authorized US distributor and will usually cut you deals, especially if you get a little wad of it at once.

I can't wait to try it. Will it run in normal PLA printers?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You gotta run it hot. I use it at the upper-end of the M2's V3b hotend temperature at 245C for the normal colors. It's happiest at 260C ... and go slow, like 40-50mm/sec with double your normal layer thickness. You *can* run it like normal plastic, thin 0.1/0.2 layers at 80-120mm/sec, but it gets a really ugly finish and loses some layer strength. It's retardo strong at 0.3mm layers, 40mm/sec, and 250-260C (depending on color). It will extrude and stick down to like 220C, but ... eh. Slow and use thin layers in that case ...

The bed is really easy though, a light mist of hairspray @ 60C and it's stuck forever with zero warp and odor.

edit: I make it sound really picky. You can print it with your PLA profile unmodified, assuming a heated bed. You will get much better results playing by its rules ^ It is very sensitive to a properly calibrated extrusion multiplier and first layer height though, spend time dialing that in!

insta fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 5, 2015

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Huh, that's not my experience at all. I've been printing it at 240c, .2 layer height, 55mm/s and the finish and strength have been great. I'm also on an M2 v3b.

I've only tried the white so far, got a spool of black and yellow on the way.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Print it slower, fatter, and hotter and it gets even better :)

Good luck with the black, you're going to have to drive it hotter than the V3b can safely do. Time for a V4!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I got some of the green eSUN PETG and it is great as well. No friggin warping. I printed with it at 233C, 70mm/s, 0.24mm layer with a 0.6mm nozzle. This is the first print with my new direct drive extruder (instead of giant bowden), the color is so pretty and no drips!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With all this love for PETG, do y'all recommend just diving right in and starting with that? I've got my rostock v2 sitting in the closet waiting for Christmas, and an e3d v6 on the way, along with a PEI sheet and some adhesive. My plan was to do abs, but will I be properly equipped to enjoy the wonderful world of PETG?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Put a Hexagon or E3Dv6 on it out of the box, and you're good to start with PETG. Get that first layer dialed in perfectly, and never look back. Spend a ton of time calibrating, PETG is meticulous about good calibration.