Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Its very important that Paradox protect their IP of The History of Western Civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Loomer posted:

Man, the amount of negativity floating around about Paradox buying WW is absurd. As we all know, Paradox aren't one of those companies that know anything about managing obscure nerd properties with insane, devoted fanbases full of toxic factionalism and downright absurd beliefs about history and their product... oh, wait a minute. That poo poo is their bread and butter. You couldn't ask for a better owning company when it comes to that poo poo.

But, instead, we get poo poo like this.

Because as we all know, giving people the ability to mod your games = I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY IP AT ALL. Now, nevermind that a highly moddable RPG set in the WoDs would be incredible in terms of letting us tell our own stories, change it to 'fix' clan balance, make a hardcore grognard mode, etc - mods are baaad, mkay?

Change is bad and scary.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Loomer posted:

Man, the amount of negativity floating around about Paradox buying WW is absurd. As we all know, Paradox aren't one of those companies that know anything about managing obscure nerd properties with insane, devoted fanbases full of toxic factionalism and downright absurd beliefs about history and their product... oh, wait a minute. That poo poo is their bread and butter. You couldn't ask for a better owning company when it comes to that poo poo.

Because as we all know, giving people the ability to mod your games = I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY IP AT ALL. Now, nevermind that a highly moddable RPG set in the WoDs would be incredible in terms of letting us tell our own stories, change it to 'fix' clan balance, make a hardcore grognard mode, etc - mods are baaad, mkay?

Paradox's purchase and the fears surrounding it seem to be bringing back the feeling and discourse that was present in WoD fandom in 2004. Now personally, I'd rather the entire IP be put to death than ever have that shitshow unfold again!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Loomer posted:

Has literally anyone in this thread suggested the videogames will be bad

Hell, have people anywhere in anything remotely approaching sizable numbers suggested the videogames will be bad? Who are you arguing against here?

Crion fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 1, 2015

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crion posted:

Hell, have people anywhere in anything remotely approaching sizable numbers suggested the videogames will be bad? Who are you arguing against here?

I don't think Loomer is talking about people in this thread so much as the reaction on other parts of the internet.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Crion posted:

Onyx Path's own forums, dude. Lot of naysaying that I'm seeing.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Well, I can imagine why Onyx Path's forums don't like it, because Onyx Path stands to lose everything in this acquisition, if not immediately then a year or two down the line.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Except they don't, really. They will, at most, lose their license to develop WoD products and Exalted. Scion, Pugmire, cavaliers, etc, remain OPP property, and so that will be continuing on, business as usual. And, since the bulk of OPP's authors are not salaried but work piecemeal on projects here and projects there, there is every chance that they will - if that happens - continue to work on the game lines under WW's banner and possibly be hired outright, unless PI cancels all tabletop aspects which is so unlikely as to be not worth considering.

So, that's the worst case scenario other than an exceptionally outlandish 'they shut it all down forever' thing: OPP, as a company, is somewhat diminished in scale and focuses on original IPs while the writers and developers keep doing exactly what they've been doing, under a new banner. And that's the whole point of my posting the odd bit of wayyy over-the-top nonsense from the OPP forums: the whole thing frustrates me (and also makes me laugh at the absurdity of the reactions), especially since so much of the panic is not about 'what will the developers do' but 'oh my god they'll ruin my nerdgames forever oh god no'. If the focus really was on "oh poo poo, I hope RichT will be okay financially and emotionally" that'd be genuinely nice to see. But it isn't, and that's why it's absurd.

It's also a lot like looking at Paradox Interactive's own forums sometimes so that's fun. They'll click much better as fanbases than anyone expected.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It'd still be a huge blow for OPP to lose WoD and Exalted. Not that I think that's going to happen, but.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Losing WoD and Exalted (not that that's likely to happen for several reasons) would pretty much sink Onyx Path, because those have the fanbases to support original IP and the revival of Scion and Trinity, financially.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Sure, it'd sink OPP as a company - but that really doesn't concern me, nor should it concern anyone. The only reason they will cease being able to work with those IPs will be that it returns to active development and exploitation by White Wolf as a Paradox subsidiary, and if that happens, the developers are likely to continue in their same roles under a new banner, and that is what should concern us: the continuity of the product and the employment of its developers etc. Onyx Path itself, as a company, has no inherent significance other than those two factors. If Paradox does do that and hires all new devs with no experience in the area? Then they are fools (which they are not) and that is when it becomes valid to fear for what'll happen to OPP. But that, again, is so unlikely a possibility that it isn't really worth getting worked up over.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
OPP only exists because CCP were idiots and did not want to do anything with the publishing company they bought. Now that we have a company which is presumably interested in publishing, OPP loses its reason for existence and its employees can directly work under WW again.

And if Paradox is not interested in publishing in-house, then why axe OPP? It's easy money from licensing.

fspades fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 1, 2015

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Though it's unlikely, Paradox could give the WoD and Exalted licenses to developers they are more interested in having develop their games.

Vampyr: År Noll

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

Hey, GimpInBlack, did you ever post the rules for your homebrew Filthy Rich merit?

E: Never mind, found it.

Cool. Let me know if you end up using it in a game and how it works if you do!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I've been using it (but modified) in my Demon game and it's been going quite well, but we'd lost track of the higher dot values so I had to go look up what they were in the original to see if we could backfill our version. (Basically, we modified it because I tend not to use Availability rules all that much due to forgetting they exist.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fspades posted:

OPP only exists because CCP were idiots and did not want to do anything with the publishing company they bought. Now that we have a company which is presumably interested in publishing, OPP loses its reason for existence and its employees can directly work under WW again.

OPP was basically just "white wolf with a different name" in the first place. It's an overreaction to cry doom here until we know for sure if OPP folks are or are not going to just switch hats again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Error 404 posted:

OPP was basically just "white wolf with a different name" in the first place. It's an overreaction to cry doom here until we know for sure if OPP folks are or are not going to just switch hats again.

Yeah, and I can't imagine that in that case Paradox wouldn't be salivating to give e.g. Rich Thomas and Rose Bailey jobs doing basically what they already do. No better way to get a job than to have already demonstrated that you can kick rear end doing it.

Loomer posted:

These people must've poo poo their pants in rage when Mirrors and Danse Macabre came out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Except they don't, really. They will, at most, lose their license to develop WoD products and Exalted. Scion, Pugmire, cavaliers, etc, remain OPP property, and so that will be continuing on, business as usual. And, since the bulk of OPP's authors are not salaried but work piecemeal on projects here and projects there, there is every chance that they will - if that happens - continue to work on the game lines under WW's banner and possibly be hired outright, unless PI cancels all tabletop aspects which is so unlikely as to be not worth considering.

So, that's the worst case scenario other than an exceptionally outlandish 'they shut it all down forever' thing: OPP, as a company, is somewhat diminished in scale and focuses on original IPs while the writers and developers keep doing exactly what they've been doing, under a new banner. And that's the whole point of my posting the odd bit of wayyy over-the-top nonsense from the OPP forums: the whole thing frustrates me (and also makes me laugh at the absurdity of the reactions), especially since so much of the panic is not about 'what will the developers do' but 'oh my god they'll ruin my nerdgames forever oh god no'. If the focus really was on "oh poo poo, I hope RichT will be okay financially and emotionally" that'd be genuinely nice to see. But it isn't, and that's why it's absurd.

It's also a lot like looking at Paradox Interactive's own forums sometimes so that's fun. They'll click much better as fanbases than anyone expected.

And even in the ridiculous "server all ties" scenario, OPP still has Kickstarter to initially fund or continue their projects and lines so it's not as though they're dead if that happened

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Hey, GimpInBlack, did you ever post the rules for your homebrew Filthy Rich merit?

E: Never mind, found it.

Where, out of interest?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, and I can't imagine that in that case Paradox wouldn't be salivating to give e.g. Rich Thomas and Rose Bailey jobs doing basically what they already do. No better way to get a job than to have already demonstrated that you can kick rear end doing it.

Exactly. While we aren't privy to the internal discussions going on, I figure things are looking pretty rosy for the devs right now since CCP was never really that big on the tabletop side at all (we were, honestly, kind of lucky that they licensed it out to OPP at all) but now they're owned by ridiculously big nerds who are also fans. That could be bad, but the thing about those nerds is:
1. They are experienced in the area of owning other companies and letting them do their own thing,
2. They maintain quality standards whenever they license an IP out or consider publishing a game from a new developer. The game might not be perfect, but it has to at least be approaching reasonably complete, playable, and not atrocious.
3. They are very focused on results, which means they are unlikely to meddle unnecessarily in a good thing unless it streamlines and improves.

So between those three, everything suggests (to me, at least) a continuation of the licensing arrangement or outright hiring the OPP crew back to White Wolf. It's a method that works, it produces good results and good money, and the products are high quality. Given the amount of money paid for White Wolf (which was not nominal, but substantial) and the fact that they have a solid set-up there (and are fans of the product), the chances of them firing everyone, shutting down OPP, and ruining our precious nerdgame forever seems low to me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Doodmons posted:

Where, out of interest?

It's in the last thread. Right here.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

It's in the last thread. Right here.

Here's a slightly more permanent Google doc link:

Money and Stuff

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GimpInBlack posted:

Here's a slightly more permanent Google doc link:

Money and Stuff
That seems really cool but how does the second dot work with things that don't have a vice to fulfill, e.g. vampires?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

That seems really cool but how does the second dot work with things that don't have a vice to fulfill, e.g. vampires?

For vampires, I'd key it off of a one-point Mask refresh, since Mask is all about superficiality and pretty lies. For werewolves I'd key it off of Blood, since the hunt is what makes them really happy.

Alternately you could make it generic and rephrase it as something like "once per scene when you spend gratuitous amounts of money on ostentatious luxuries, regain a point of Willpower," but I'm not as big a fan of that because it cuts the link to the character's Anchors. I'll have to think about if there's a way to keep the connection to the character's personality that doesn't require me to update the Merit every time a new game line replaces Virtue and Vice.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

fspades posted:

And if Paradox is not interested in publishing in-house, then why axe OPP? It's easy money from licensing.

The only realistic downside that I could see coming from the Paradox buyout is that they force OPP to slow down or outright halt production on new nWoD material so that they can fully refocus on oWoD, specifically VtM. I can't imagine that they'll kill OPP's WoD/Exalted licenses altogether unless they plan on publishing themselves under the White Wolf name, and if they go that route, it seems more likely than not that we'd see the same writers working on the same product lines but under a different publisher.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Loomer posted:

If they release the tools, I will invest however much time it takes to make every clan/bloodline/ghoul family and discipline from BJ Zanzibar a reality. Finally, the True Brujah can get destroyed by the Bunyip like they were supposed to.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Hell I'm pretty sure if they made the game moddable enough, it wouldn't matter whether it was oWoD or nWoD as people could mod it to their satisfaction. You know there'd be a Complete [edition] Overhaul pack up within like a month of release.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Let's be honest, we don't want the people who would mod a WoD game to mod a WoD game. Maybe it's better without modtools.

:smith:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh, absolutely. In fact, it's one of the best things about PI - when they're developing the games, they do like to look at what the modders want to be able to do and while that doesn't rule their decision making, they'll throw them a bone. And when it comes to RPGs or even some kind of hypothetical Werewolf/Vampire Grand Strategy game, that moddability is a huge selling point, a guarantee that the game will keep having good content, and a way to help keep a disparate and feuding player base relatively happy by letting them change whatever they want.

While there are certain hard coded things in CK2, say, all you have to do is boot up the Game of Thrones mod to see how massively distinct the mods can be from the core game in terms of special functions, new mechanics, completely overhauled dynasty mechanics, etc. Clausewitz isn't going to be much good for an RPG, say, but it's still a prime example of why the 'oh no, paradox lets people mod things!' post is so incredibly ridiculous. That kind of flexibility in a product is awesome to have, and you'd think tabletop gamers would recognize that as we basically live in a hobby made like, 1/3rd to 2/3rds of house rules.

EDIT:
Lol, not at Verr. At the dudes above.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 3, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Peztopiary posted:

If they release the tools, I will invest however much time it takes to make every clan/bloodline/ghoul family and discipline from BJ Zanzibar a reality. Finally, the True Brujah can get destroyed by the Bunyip like they were supposed to.

I'd unironically help kickstart you. God, I loved reading that site back in my AOL vampire chatroom days

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Hey, fellow GMs! Are you having a hard time coming up with Shadow Names for your NPC mages? Are you rolling your eyes at every Odin, Loki, and Azrael that shows up at your table? Then get ready to throw that duster with custom sewn katana holsters in the trash, because here's a huge list you can use to randomly generate them, and subtly signal your good taste. Just hit "Run" every time you want a name.

:siren: VVVVVVVVVVVVV L@@K VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV :siren:
https://repl.it/BWun/2
:siren: ^^^^^^^^^^ Need 2 Mage? Go on and have it ^^^^^^^^^^ :siren:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I usually just go the Jojo route and name everyone after songs and bands.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I now want a Mage cabal where they all use overwrought Puritan Bible verse name schemes. "Armor of God Smith." Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Jones" etc. etc.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Odin Loki Azrael... looks like I have a name for my next character. Thanks!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

MonsieurChoc posted:

The most fun I ever had in Mage was playing a Blank Badge Thyrsus named Bowie (his birth name was obviously Thomas Major).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The first enemy cabal the players in my game came across were a bunch of Free Council dudes who were trying to discern primal atlantean secrets by decoding modern Sleeper music. It was made up of The Misfit, the Thin White Duke, Stratavarius and Captain Eo. Just so I could try and get the Jojo instinct out quick.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

tatankatonk posted:

Hey, fellow GMs! Are you having a hard time coming up with Shadow Names for your NPC mages? Are you rolling your eyes at every Odin, Loki, and Azrael that shows up at your table? Then get ready to throw that duster with custom sewn katana holsters in the trash, because here's a huge list you can use to randomly generate them, and subtly signal your good taste. Just hit "Run" every time you want a name.

:siren: VVVVVVVVVVVVV L@@K VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV :siren:
https://repl.it/BWun/2
:siren: ^^^^^^^^^^ Need 2 Mage? Go on and have it ^^^^^^^^^^ :siren:

'Saul'. Hmm, not exactly as esoteric as I was expecting.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
You should be pulling names from roller derby.

Pentacle agents Stone Cold Jane Austen and Blunt Force Mama fight to free the Greater Manhattan Area from the grip of the Seers and their ruthless Tetrarch, Brawly Ringwald.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Luminous Obscurity posted:

You should be pulling names from roller derby.

Pentacle agents Stone Cold Jane Austen and Blunt Force Mama fight to free the Greater Manhattan Area from the grip of the Seers and their ruthless Tetrarch, Brawly Ringwald.

Why is there no way to favorite individual posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Picking Thor or Yahweh or something as your shadow name is the ultimate alpha move because you know nobody else had the nerve to.