Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Who here is excited for the video game?

Super excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minorkos posted:

Whatever happened to that quest designer who made the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion? That guy was the best

He went on to be the lead writer for Fallout 3, Skyrim and the upcoming hit Fallout 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo

:rip:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fish Fry Andy posted:

He went on to be the lead writer for Fallout 3, Skyrim and the upcoming hit Fallout 4.

He got in trouble for making too great a story line that it "distracted players from the other stories". Can't make this poo poo up.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Magmarashi posted:

My point is that Obsidian didn't have to do a significant portion of the major lifting in creating a brand new game, and they still pushed out a game that required a great deal of tweaking and fixing post release in the same way that Bethesda-developed titles do.

They did this because Bethesda contractually agreed to do QA bug testing, which was a fireball show that barely lasted over a week. The steady trickle of patches done by one small team of people at Obsidian were a direct response to how hilariously incompetent Bethesda's QA work was.

I am intrigued by FO4's combination of Heavy Rain's dialogue and LA Noire dialogue response system.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That guy is cool he was a fatass during Fallout 3 but he shaped up

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Valatar posted:

As a side note, that's why I love Dead Money best of all the DLC. It takes away all of your poo poo and puts you in an intensely crappy place. Scrounging up a halfway-usable knife and tying it to a stick to make a spear is actually helpful in that scenario when you don't have a Fat Man for every day of the week in your inventory.

Agreed. And the story was pretty great too. Remembering to let go when you have 900 lbs of gold in front of you...

On a side note, I am going to have to upgrade my gpu for this. I'm trying to decide between a gtx 960 (2GB) ; gtx 960 (4 GB), and a gtx 970. The price difference between the 960 2GB and the 970 I like $180, is the 970 really that much better?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gtx 970 has been really great so far. I had the same conundrum but I think I chose the right one.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any resources that post which stores break street dates? This is my first major console launch.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone's posting leaked clips on Instagram https://instagram.com/_fo4leaks/

BIG game intro spoiler in the blue tinted video, beware.

edit: so apparently you exit through a normal wall mounted vault door? Interesting.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

BigRoman posted:

Agreed. And the story was pretty great too. Remembering to let go when you have 900 lbs of gold in front of you...

gently caress letting go. I snuck my way out of there with every last one of those bars.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

Are there any resources that post which stores break street dates? This is my first major console launch.

I wish, but I think it's usually a guy who doesn't care about his job makes some quick money selling them to his friends

I don't know the exact process but most places now you can't even ring up the stuff till street date

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Magmarashi posted:

My point is that Obsidian didn't have to do a significant portion of the major lifting in creating a brand new game, and they still pushed out a game that required a great deal of tweaking and fixing post release in the same way that Bethesda-developed titles do.

Yeah, but the game was pushed out by Bethesda after being tested for bugs and issues largely by their own internal team, meaning it was completely their call to ship the game in the state that it shipped. Being handed the tools is certainly a big help, but RPGs the size of what these two developers make are going to be riddled with issues no matter how solid those tools are (and we're talking Gamebryo here) which is why rigorous QA testing is key to them being in at least a decent state before release.

I'm not saying it would've been all sunshine and rainbows if it were done by someone else, but blaming New Vegas' release issues on Obsidian is kind of silly considering how limited their control over that aspect was.

frajaq posted:

That guy is cool he was a fatass during Fallout 3 but he shaped up

Reminds me, can Fallout 4 finally do overweight people? I miss characters like Gizmo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anita Dickinme posted:

He got in trouble for making too great a story line that it "distracted players from the other stories". Can't make this poo poo up.

I could see this being a thing, yeah.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ymgve posted:

edit: so apparently you exit through a normal wall mounted vault door? Interesting.

drat your spouse got owned

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ymgve posted:

drat that was ice cold

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wizzzrd posted:

gently caress letting go. I snuck my way out of there with every last one of those bars.

But finding it? That's not the hard part. It's letting go.

It's letting go.

It's letting go.

It's letting go.

It's letting - It's letting - hold on guys, just gotta - it's letting - gently caress - it's letting - gently caress, VERONICA, CAN YOU HELP ME WITH ALL 100,000 CAPS WORTH OF METAPHOR HERE?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Rockybar posted:

I ain't pre-loaded a steam game before, am I right in thinking if fallout 4 is downloaded I can use a kiwi/Aussie vpn to unlock the game at ~4p.m. GMT on the 9th? Or are they taking steps to prevent that this time round?

If it's like any other timed-release game on Steam I've ever bought, you'll be fine. I put Steam in offline mode after unlocking the game until the official release date for my time zone just to be careful.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

SunAndSpring posted:

drat your spouse got owned

Umm, thanks? I know it was kind of obvious...but still.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ymgve posted:

I really felt the emotion there. drat. This is going to be an emotionally gripping experience for sure.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rockybar posted:

I ain't pre-loaded a steam game before, am I right in thinking if fallout 4 is downloaded I can use a kiwi/Aussie vpn to unlock the game at ~4p.m. GMT on the 9th? Or are they taking steps to prevent that this time round?
They are, by releasing it everywhere at the same time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like the complete silence after the spouse gets shot and your baby gets confiscated.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Inverness posted:

That's wrong. It's a staggered release, where it releases at 12:01 AM in "your" time zone.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

SunAndSpring posted:

I like the complete silence after the spouse gets shot and your baby gets confiscated.

Oh, you goofy sob.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

SunAndSpring posted:

Sounds like a g reat game can't wait for early November release

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Eonwe posted:

I wish, but I think it's usually a guy who doesn't care about his job makes some quick money selling them to his friends

I don't know the exact process but most places now you can't even ring up the stuff till street date

Unless the POS is ancient as gently caress and not hooked up to the stock keeping system, anything street dated will error out instead of ringing up. So no Best Buys, Gamestops, etc., will break street date.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I liked the part where Wife Fallout was really President Malcolm McDowell.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Cool can't read this thread for the next 9 days.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

Yeah, looks like there's the normal vault door then the elevator.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Inverness posted:

Umm.

Wasn't this already proven not to be the case or did I miss something.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

BigRoman posted:

On a side note, I am going to have to upgrade my gpu for this. I'm trying to decide between a gtx 960 (2GB) ; gtx 960 (4 GB), and a gtx 970. The price difference between the 960 2GB and the 970 I like $180, is the 970 really that much better?

As I undertstand it you should not get a 2GB card at this point, at least not if you play a lot of ports/multiplatform titles and want to be on the safe(r) side. The console GPUs have direct access to way more than 2GB and we'll probably see a lot of games not that well optimized for memory swapping on PC architecture.

Again, as I understand it.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

:lol: why are there spoiler tags all over in a thread about a game that isn't released yet?

Filthy Monkey posted:

Eh, gently caress conversation. Set cha to 1 and let your plasma rifle do the talking.

Like so many others, I am thinking about doing a Rick Sanchez playthrough. Something like 3 str (armorer), 5 per (lockpicking and explosives), 4 end (chem resistant), 1 cha (gently caress cha), 10 int (smartest man in the universe), 2 agi (good enough for commando), 3 luck (bloody mess).

Get some sweet energy weapons, a labcoat, lots of drugs, and get into power armor when necessary.

I, too, wanted to do a Rick Sanchez build. That's why I reinstalled New Vegas. I want to make a generic scientist, but somehow get Whisky Rose perk from Cass and never stop chugging wine and vodka. It didn't really work as well as I hoped. I did pull of a convincing rick wearing a Followers lab coat and packing a Plasma Defender.

S 3
P 8
E 4
C 5
I 10
A 5
L 5

Skilled
Good Natured

Science
Medicine
Energy Weapons

Minor skills were speech, repair, explosive. I'll probably do something very similar if the character creation is at all similar.

Protons fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 2, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Protons posted:

:lol: why are there spoiler tags all over in a thread about a game that isn't released yet?

Blame Brazil, jajajajajajajaja

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I give thanks to the people of South America, who have big balls (unlike the US and European people who've gotten copies of this game) and are leaking it to the internet.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

SunAndSpring posted:

i cant wait for the frakkin EPIC quest to find the power baby.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"What should we do for our sequel to Fallout 3?"

"What if it's got the exact same plot as Fallout 3, but this time it's your kid that goes missing and your husband or wife gets shot?"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Luceid posted:

i cant wait for the frakkin EPIC quest to find the power baby.

Final boss is baby inside a badass robot, very similar to what happened in The New Order

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, dear father FUCKFACE, finally we meet. During my travels to the South I came across a place of great power, called Little Lamplight. There I learned the secrets which I shall now use to defeat you

>YOU'RE A BABY [INT]

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frajaq posted:

Final boss is baby inside a badass robot, very similar to what happened in The New Order

I would have preferred MASTER and BLASTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You can't be my son that's impossible, my son was a baby.

• Locked thread