Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Yes it's hella good, gonna get a x52 and a VR headset when a commercial model becomes available.

This is a long shot, but I decided to do a fresh install of BMS 4.33 after upgrading to Windows 10. Everything is looking fine except I can't get opentrack to use the headtracker module, it just crashes when I start it. Normally I would blame the 3rd party crap drivers for the PS3 Eye cam, but if I use the paper tracker it works fine. I guess the solution is just to make a hat with the paper stuff on it but has anyone run into something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Gibfender posted:

Just done a clean install of 4.33. Can I still install Israel/Battle for the Balkans or do I need to wait for them to be updated?

There's a new Balkans release for 4.33 in that theater's forum. The Israeli theater hasn't been updated yet. They say it will be available in a few Falcon weeks. Keep in mind that Balkans has always had a rocky existence in BMS and there's no guarantee that the updated version isn't a broken piece of poo poo.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Icept posted:

Yes it's hella good, gonna get a x52 and a VR headset when a commercial model becomes available.

This is a long shot, but I decided to do a fresh install of BMS 4.33 after upgrading to Windows 10. Everything is looking fine except I can't get opentrack to use the headtracker module, it just crashes when I start it. Normally I would blame the 3rd party crap drivers for the PS3 Eye cam, but if I use the paper tracker it works fine. I guess the solution is just to make a hat with the paper stuff on it but has anyone run into something similar?

I'm using Opentrack with the Point Tracker right now on Windows 10 without issue. Have you updated to the most recent version? Are you able to get video from your PS3 camera outside of Opentrack?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Icept posted:

I'm dreaming that release VR devices have the resolution to be usable but I'm not getting my hopes up, being able to read the smallish text on MFDs and the HUD and spot targets on my current rift just sucks so much, I'm not sure the release version is going to push it far enough to be good.

Plus if I can fly an F16 in VR I'll become the greatest aimram sperglord ever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

immelman posted:

What loving rabbit hole have I fallen down?
You start off hearing about a game that has an accurate representation of the WWII Mustang you can fly! and shoot!
And you end up with hundreds of pages of manuals to read to fly a pretend F16.
God help me I'm actually interested in most of what I'm reading as well...

Soon you will buy a Buttkicker and spend $400 on controllers. Welcome.

The DCS Mustang is fun to fly, and it feels cool to flip all the switches to start it up (and it doesn't take 10 goddamn minutes like the Black Shark). Unfortunately it doesn't come with a real campaign, presumably because it was their first WW2 module, so they didn't yet have proper opposition for it. Also because DCS. Now that the bf 109 and fw 190 are out, there's some user content on the DCS website.

IL-2 1946 remains the WW2 king of dynamic campaigns and fun content, but the engine is showing its age nowadays, especially with ground object pop-in :(. That said, please continue to not purchase IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Fly the Mig-21, starting it up takes 30 seconds. You can flip all the other switches while taxiing.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I resolved the issue! I imported the Iron x52 keyfile in BMS, saved it in BMS as a new profile, then restarted BMS. I also kept the x52 profiler clear until after it was done. This seemed to resolve it. That or it was just all the restarts and plugging unplugging.

Works great now. Was so enamored with the new visuals that I oversped my gear off.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Sauer posted:

I'm using Opentrack with the Point Tracker right now on Windows 10 without issue. Have you updated to the most recent version? Are you able to get video from your PS3 camera outside of Opentrack?

Yeah everything is up to date, and I had it working in Windows 7. I'm thinking it's an issue with the facetracker module since it will crash even with no camera attached. Also the PS3 Eye works fine outside of opentrack. The dev apparently had some back and forth about the subject as far as I can tell by googling a bit, but the responses indicate it should be resolved and rolled into the latest version. Oh well it was hacky to begin with, should get a LED clip and get some precision tracking going.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone having issues with 4.33 having relatively low FPS in the cockpit?

I go the F9/F10 chase cam and get what seems like 60+ fps, but as soon as I enter the 3d cockpit the performance really bogs down quite a bit.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Icept posted:

Yeah everything is up to date, and I had it working in Windows 7. I'm thinking it's an issue with the facetracker module since it will crash even with no camera attached. Also the PS3 Eye works fine outside of opentrack. The dev apparently had some back and forth about the subject as far as I can tell by googling a bit, but the responses indicate it should be resolved and rolled into the latest version. Oh well it was hacky to begin with, should get a LED clip and get some precision tracking going.

Oh Facetracker. I misunderstood you. Haven't used that before so I can't be much help. Probably something buggy about it. If you file an issue on Opentrack's issue tracker it will give the dev a heads up about the problem. The Delan Clip is a high quality piece of kit if you don't want to make your own out of coat hangar and solder burnt fingers.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Uh how do I get the thread icon back to falconry?

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Ugh, now I'm starting to remember why I never actually started playing BMS. Started a new keyfile, loaded everything up, bound all of the axis.

In 4.33 it actually looks like you can bind some of the controls in-game, although without a reference to what you actually want to bind that's a huge en devour. So I started to make a profile for the X-55 to work in BMS and everything was working great! Until for some reason BMS decided to start not recognizing keyboard commands.

In the in-game key binder everything is recognized correctly, it's just ingame when SOME keys just don't work.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
IIRC even in 4.33 changing a single keybind in game will destroy your keyfile.

It's a shame that everyone falls over themselves praising this game, its a technological nightmare.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Vahakyla posted:

Uh how do I get the thread icon back to falconry?

Already working on it.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
The only controls you should change in game is the throttle detent afterburner marks and a couple of checkboxes on the other pages and some axis. Don't actually do your key binds in game. Yeah it's a disaster to setup but it's free and fun once you get the hang of it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Pretty happy to have a relatively functional F-18 in game. The ICP is hard to read because its really mashed in there but zooming in a little when you mess with it helps, also no real UFC buttons since the Hornet's ICP has a different workflow than F-16's IRL so make sure you memorize your keybindings (and make sure you make some) for the UFC. The HUD image is to large for the HUD frame so the sides get cut off. You can fix it by moving your IRL head back a bit and recentering your head tracker; deal with it if you don't have a head tracker. The flight model seems to be pretty accurate from my point of view of having never flown a hornet. In most regimes it flies like a somewhat bulkier F-16 but when you get slow it's nose cranks around like its trying to fly up it's own rear end in a top hat so that's pretty accurate. Cockpit controls mostly don't do what they're labelled to do and they didn't relabel them because spurgs gonna spurg so you'll need to keep the cockpit reference images handy and memorize them, especially if you want to ramp start it. Carrier ops work surprisingly well for a game never meant to have carrier ops. There's no LSO and I don't think the meatball is functional (they might have it set up like a papi light, didn't check) and there's no ILS, so enjoy really hairy bad weather landings. Pitch ladder has the dashed glideslope line at 2.5 degrees because its still an F-16 under the hood, but you should use a four degree approach for the carrier, the Hornet's landing gear is designed to crash into carrier decks it will be fine if scary. The AoA staple and lights work properly.

Rather impressive all together.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm busy this week doing a US Army physical, then I'm going dancing to Tennesee where I'll camp out. After that, I'm planning to leave plenty of time in the evenings and afternoons to mess with poo poo. I'll scour for keyfiles for popular joysticks, and enlist some help in making a 4.33 file for X55 since it seems popular nowadays.

However, there are plenty of profiles for major sticks. You just gotta accept that some buttons aren't at the perfect place, and roll with it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

Pretty happy to have a relatively functional F-18 in game. *posts a laundry list of things that don't work*

Rather impressive all together.

If I do get any more invested in this than I already am I'm at least sticking to planes that are properly modeled so I don't need to memorize what the mislabeled buttons in the cockpit actually do.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its impressive for a mod team that isn't getting paid to come out with this stuff, compared to a full company asking $50 for a plane that might be only a bit better. Considering that the F-18 wasn't even close to being the only point of the update, I think it being less than 100% is perfectly acceptable unless you have unreasonably high standards for fake planes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh don't get me wrong I think it's cool what they're doing but given the fact that BMS as a whole is a bit of a chore and learning a new plane isn't easy especially if you aren't used to radar and I'm not about to add a a 'does this button not do what its labeled' layer on top of 'did I do the wrong thing with this button' and 'did this just not work because of some bug in the game'.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I just had my keyfile become corrupted after doing nothing but save axis bindings...YMMV

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The vast majority are still flying the F-16, so there is no real reason to spurg out for the F-18 unless you want to.

I'm planning to host gamez on 14th, saturday afternoon. There'll be plenty of F-16s for everyone.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The meatball actually works, holy gently caress balls. Its impossible to read because pixels on a computer screen but it works. Jane's FA-18 had a nice feature where you could call the ball and it would open up a little window showing a graphic of the ball. That was nice. DCS's F-18 needs to happen while I'm still young enough to like computers so I can recreate Operation Valhalla in it.

JSOWs continue to be "See that airfield? Kill everything on it!" weapons and being able to set attack azimuth, spacing and side-by-side/column formation for the rounds just makes them even more mental. I only wanted to kill a Flap Lid and its launcher, not annihilate everything living thing at the objective.

^^ I'll probably be shooting mans in Arma.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 2, 2015

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

apseudonym posted:

I'm dreaming that release VR devices have the resolution to be usable but I'm not getting my hopes up, being able to read the smallish text on MFDs and the HUD and spot targets on my current rift just sucks so much, I'm not sure the release version is going to push it far enough to be good.

Plus if I can fly an F16 in VR I'll become the greatest aimram sperglord ever.

Are you using a DK2? I was kinda of hoping that between the resolution getting upped to 1080x1200 per eye (which isn't really that much less than a 1680x1050 monitor, which I used to use) and smart scaling it would be pretty sweet on the Vive/Rift release version.

I guess readability might be hindered by the subpixel arrangement somewhat given that the VR headsets are using pentile rather than RGB.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
They should literally let F-16s land on carriers. I know it's not realistic but it gives you carrier ops with a single well-modeled plane. And dammit, that's what I want.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Someone in the thread said that the ingame AWACS lacked the 'oh poo poo you have an enemy directly left of you', but in BMS 4.33 I was flying on a DEAD mission and AWACS informed me of enemies 10 miles to my bearing 25, a two ship of MIG-29'S!! Me and my wingman proceedeeded to get into a pretty badass dogfight with two Mig-29's who were trying to sneak in under the radar or something at 4000 feet. Fuckin' awesome.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I grabbed some new screenies from the Forums.

Many models are way nicer.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 2, 2015

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Daviclond posted:

Are you using a DK2? I was kinda of hoping that between the resolution getting upped to 1080x1200 per eye (which isn't really that much less than a 1680x1050 monitor, which I used to use) and smart scaling it would be pretty sweet on the Vive/Rift release version.

I guess readability might be hindered by the subpixel arrangement somewhat given that the VR headsets are using pentile rather than RGB.

I have a DK2. It doesn't work for this game. You need more controls than just your hotas and the resolution still isn't good enough. Honestly it barely works for ED. It's cool but not being able to see your keyboard is a real bummer.

Edit. I so use my dk2 for my head tracking though. Which is hilarious.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oh. Oh my.

Perhaps I'll try and fumble through the upgrade and deal with the control changes after all.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
I really want a dynamic campaign with harriers, VTOL is cool as hell.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Harriers are dumpy planes for the retards that spent all their time balancing pencils on their palms while sitting in the back of the classroom at flight school.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Harriers are dumpy planes for the retards that spent all their time balancing pencils on their palms while sitting in the back of the classroom at flight school.

Post your first VTOL landing attempt. :colbert:

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

EvilJoven posted:

Joven post the Joystick ID changer tia

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

RedLobster posted:

Plane is bad but the cockpit in falcon is nice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Joystick ID manager will get posted tonight when I get home.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

RedLobster posted:

I'm working on a goon base complex with:
  • Block 52
  • Super Hornet (carrier)
  • Harrier (carrier)
  • Strike Eagle
  • Mirage
  • Viggen
  • Other requests

Adding carrier task forces that allow spawning on deck is a pain in the dick, but everything else is point and click and can be added in seconds.

The plan is that snowflakes who want to fly special planes can add a single ship flight to an existing goon package. Since all planes have common avionics, datalink should just work.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

EvilJoven posted:

Joystick ID manager will get posted tonight when I get home.

Yay thanks! Sorry for nagging, I'm trying to make Ohshs life easier.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Harrier is the only fighter jet you can use to commute, since it's the only one that can land on the helipad on top of those high rises you own, while also not costing over a trillion dollars to build. That makes it easily the best fighter jet you can own today!

Much like helicopters, though,

EvilJoven posted:

I'm probably going to install BMS over this, though. I always wanted to try flying the thing in a decent sim.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

concise posted:

I'm working on a goon base complex with:
<snip>
Adding carrier task forces that allow spawning on deck is a pain in the dick, but everything else is point and click and can be added in seconds.

The plan is that snowflakes who want to fly special planes can add a single ship flight to an existing goon package. Since all planes have common avionics, datalink should just work.
I think the Tornado is one of the more finished planes in 4.33, so Tornado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Truga posted:

I'm probably going to install BMS over this, though. I always wanted to try flying the thing in a decent sim.

When you do, 95% of your questions will be answered in the \Falcon\docs folder. The documentation for this game is superb. I'll be in mumble as much as I can to help people out.
Once you get past the hurdle of a install with a stable hardware config it should be straightforward.

That being said please do yourself a favor and start with the F16 to learn the avionics and hence the keybinds for what you need before you step into special planes with potentially missing or mislabeled buttons.