Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bundle of Keys posted:

As the emperor, I just succesfully helped defend the empire, but I didn't get any IA. What gives?

Paradox trashed that in favor of the monthly ticking IA system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm assuming knocking off the current electors wouldn't be seen as favorable

It's not something the AI actively cares about, AFAIK.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'd like to see a mechanic where low tech/low morale armies on the run would hemorrhage men as people along the retreat path just said gently caress it and disbanded. Especially for those pesky armies you have to chase all over, as they lost more in-a-row battles w/out reinforcement they should lose men.

I'd also like to see disbanded troops give some manpower back, or in a perfect world give it back over time as people return home from the army but become draftable again (and to prevent cheesery).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, pretty sure this is why they added the ability to pay of loans early. No real savings involved.

I wish there was an option to automatically amortize a loan, so that I can pay it back gradually instead of all at once.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bundle of Keys posted:

As the emperor, I just succesfully helped defend the empire, but I didn't get any IA. What gives?

Node posted:

Paradox trashed that in favor of the monthly ticking IA system.

You get negative ticks if anyone outside the HRE owns HRE territory, so it's obviously still worth it to defend.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

And I'm assuming there's no way to drop out of the HRE, form Westphalia, and then rejoin?

Is there a way to rejoin the HRE at all even?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
On the province window you can add territory to the HRE (lower left side).
You do need to be a pretty small nation and on real good relations with the Emperor though so leaving and coming back is gonna be relatively difficult.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mornhaven posted:

As the Ottomans, what's a good second idea? I started with Admin and I've already gotten cannons, so I was thinking of taking quantity or another mil idea, but influence also looks good and I have little use for dip points at moment.

The best bang for your buck will be Quality, Defensive, or a more niche pick Quantity.

What they all have in common is they have bonuses to Army Tradition (quantity through a policy with Humanism) which if you are playing as the Ottomans and started the Jannisaries (which you almost always should) you will get disasters later on that can be prevented by keeping a high Army Tradition and also they are just really strong idea groups for countries that plan on constant expansion like the Ottos

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 1, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I think I'm going to lose my drat mind. I'm trying to complete the re-reconquista and I can't seem to make it work. Even if I flee to the new world castille just follows me. I've also had terrible luck - no one wants to fight them, including France and the Ottomans.

This is attempt #26 or something too. Goddamn.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Baudin posted:

I think I'm going to lose my drat mind. I'm trying to complete the re-reconquista and I can't seem to make it work. Even if I flee to the new world castille just follows me. I've also had terrible luck - no one wants to fight them, including France and the Ottomans.

Perhaps you should acknowledge the error of your Mohametan heresy and return to the loving embrace of the Holy Father in Rome?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Enjoy posted:

Perhaps you should acknowledge the error of your Mohametan heresy and return to the loving embrace of the Holy Father in Rome?

Can you still 100% some tiny Catholic OPM and force them to accept a peace deal where they force religion on you or has that been changed?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Elendil004 posted:

I'd like to see a mechanic where low tech/low morale armies on the run would hemorrhage men as people along the retreat path just said gently caress it and disbanded. Especially for those pesky armies you have to chase all over, as they lost more in-a-row battles w/out reinforcement they should lose men.

I'd also like to see disbanded troops give some manpower back, or in a perfect world give it back over time as people return home from the army but become draftable again (and to prevent cheesery).

Low morale armies do hemorrhage people, but it's reflected in their losses as they flee combat. That's why it takes manpower to restore them.

Definitely agree on your second point, though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Low morale armies do hemorrhage people, but it's reflected in their losses as they flee combat. That's why it takes manpower to restore them.

Definitely agree on your second point, though.

But sometimes you ping pong an army ten times from one end to the other and they only lose a few guys each time till you force then into a stack wipe which is rather silly sometimes.

Plus, you can capture boats why not defectors. Would be neat if they functioned like event spawned guys and disbanded after the war you captured them in.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The game doesn't need more win more mechanics. It is already easier for the strong to get stronger.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are vassals now stuck behind you in tech? I picked up my first mil idea after mil tech 7 and now my vassals seems to all be stuck at mil tech 6. Since Lithuania has half my army that's... not good.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
No the vassals research tech just like you do. How strong their tech is depends on which monarch they have. In the case of Personal Unions like Lithuania they use your monarch. However the ai tend to spend more military points on leaders than human players. And I don't think they can put a focus on a tech, but not 100% sure on that.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 1, 2015

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Any tips on Kongo?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Baudin posted:

I just did this a couple days ago (posted it a few pages ago even!) with the new 1.13.2 aggressive expansion numbers and it is very frustrating. If you want to stand in Iberia and fight here's the general idea of what you want to do.

This specific combination of things must happen: Portugal and Aragon must be allied, Castille allies Navarre (Portugal doesn't matter, if she does then Portugal will break alliance later), Navarre must only be allied to Castille or else France will beat the poo poo out of Aragon and Aragon needs to grab the mission to vassalize Navarre.

Sell your heavy ships to Aragon before the game starts for an easy 120 ducats and optionally sell your cogs to Morocco. Ally whichever North African nations you can. If Tlemcen isn't mad at you then you can ally them but be aware that will probably push Tunis away and they'll try to drag you into their war when they inevitably get attacked by their neighbours.

Fabricate on every Castillian province in reach and wait for Castille to get double teamed. Annex as much as you have claimed as well as La Mancha and Caceres. Release Leon from Caceres and feed them whatever you can't handle coring. Get La Mancha up to 10 production to rake in the sweet gold and then you should be on equal ground with the rest of the Iberian powers. It's important to stick to what you have claimed because the AE is insane when you make this land grab.

From here you can either try to ally the Ottomans which is only a mild deterrent or get a diplo advisor and shower France with cash to get an alliance. I just converted to Catholicism to get alliances and royal marriages and then switching back to Sunni later by conquering basically all of Sub Saharan Africa to get the majority for accepting rebel demands.

Anyway this is the one time I'd suggest save scumming an Ironman game if only just to save hours of your life dealing with lovely RNG. Do the autosave trick and basically when you see the stars align with the alliances and missions keep that save file as your "start" because I've spent literally 5 hours in one sitting starting the game over and over before seeing that setup happen again.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Enjoy posted:

That just ruins the entire point of that achievement.

Baudin posted:

I made a post on this a while ago on how I did it. You want to stay far, far away from Castille. Never, ever let yourself have a border with them so they can use their Deus Vult CB on you. Because they're going to use it. If you have a north African vassal that borders them, release them, because they'll declare on them too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What is that save trick?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

What is that save trick?

There's really no trick to it. If you are saving Ironman locally, you can simply copy/paste your save file to create a backup. It will still count as ironman, you can rename it, whatever, as long as you don't edit the save file itself.

I've done it a couple times in the scenario Eej is describing, going for a tricky achievement that requires a very specific setup of starting rivalries such that I can't be arsed to restart eleventy billion times and I'm just going to make a backup of the one time I RNG'd the start I needed.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

What is that save trick?

Make a copy of the save file and rename it/throw it in another folder. To restore, replace current save with the backup.

I like to do it for gimmick runs like a Byzantium start when you need everything to go perfectly, and will keep a file once I get past the initial setup, have the right people not rivaled to me, etc.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 1, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can do it with Cloud saves too actually.

Under Steam\userdata\#youraccountnumberhere#\236850\remote\save games is your local copy of your cloud save. If you exit to main menu (which forces an autosave), copy over your backed up save, then exit the game, Steam will sync your backup copy to the cloud. Just try to keep within the spirit of Ironman.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Palleon posted:

Dismantle the HRE.

Christ that took forever (1815). I had assumed that taking all a country's European land would remove its electorship, but noooope. Had to go to war with Austria again and again, eventually taking on a coalition of all Europe, but it was worth it for Scandinavian dominance. 244 provinces at the end, not bad for sticking to Europe exclusively.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Christ that took forever (1815). I had assumed that taking all a country's European land would remove its electorship, but noooope. Had to go to war with Austria again and again, eventually taking on a coalition of all Europe, but it was worth it for Scandinavian dominance. 244 provinces at the end, not bad for sticking to Europe exclusively.

Those borders... what have I done?

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Been trying to do a Bohemia game because I want to make Europe yellow while listening to Gustav Mahler... However, I'm always getting the problem of getting huge coalitions against me even if I'm just vassalizing Saxony after a war for example. Any tips?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

abske_fides posted:

Been trying to do a Bohemia game because I want to make Europe yellow while listening to Gustav Mahler... However, I'm always getting the problem of getting huge coalitions against me even if I'm just vassalizing Saxony after a war for example. Any tips?

Take Influence as your first idea set it's great all-around and will help a lot with AE problems. Hire the Better Relations adviser when available. Mouseover the AE tooltip before you conclude a war to check who you'll piss off.

"Just vassalizing Saxony" will probably produce a ton of AE, yeah. AE is way higher within the Holy Roman Empire.

Bohemia unfortunately is sandwiched in by Austria, Hungary, Poland, and the rest of the HRE so you're just going to need to be careful with AE.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abske_fides posted:

Vassalizing a ~50 dev HRE elector in one war isn't going to go so well. Take 2 provinces instead.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Yep, hover over the aggressive expansion in the peace deal. Anyone that shows up will have more than 30 AE against you, and can ~potentially~ join a coalition against you. If only a couple are there, no big deal, but if the entire continent of Europe could potentially join a coalition, you probably want to be taking less in your peace deal. Unless you think you can handle fighting them all at once, of course.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Generally, expanding in the HRE is taking one backwater province every 69 thousand years or so unless you're constantly buttering up larger HRE members to keep them out of coalitions and can take the rest head on. AE is doubled within the HRE, and since it's mostly the same region, every single member gets real mad real fast.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 2, 2015

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.

abske_fides posted:

I just started my first Bohemia game myself - as well as keeping an eye on AE in peace deals and taking things slow, you want to become Emperor as soon as possible so you don't get those requests for unlawful territory anymore. Those can be an absolute killer.

Saxony actually makes a pretty good ally - I found pushing north into Brandenburg and Pomerania is a good opening position as it gets you naval access. A strong non-HRE ally such as Poland/Lithuania or Scandinavia can do wonders as well.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How the heck does this work

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: I just understood what you're asking, nvm

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, both 242 and 247 are greater than 240.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

PAWGChamp posted:

How the heck does this work

Range to a potential colony is measured by the path that a unit would have to travel, so it goes from the port to the center of the sea zone where a boat would sit if it were in that sea zone, along the sea zones needed to get to the coast, then from the center of that where a boat would sit in the coastal sea zone to the potential colony's port. It is a little quirk that makes it so that potential colonies closer to the center of a sea zone are easier to reach than things that are actually closer to your jump-off points.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, both 242 and 247 are greater than 240.

since my post was probably somewhat confusing

fe: woops, I should have refreshed first. Thanks fermun

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PAWGChamp posted:

since my post was probably somewhat confusing

fe: woops, I should have refreshed first. Thanks fermun

I see ranges get messed up from time to time, usually after a patch. Clearing the cache and letting it rebuild sometimes fixes it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

That's been like that for a while. The same thing happens at the cape coming from the east: You can colonize Cape (more to the west) before Swellendam (more to the east).

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Node posted:

That just ruins the entire point of that achievement.

I made a post on this a while ago on how I did it. You want to stay far, far away from Castille. Never, ever let yourself have a border with them so they can use their Deus Vult CB on you. Because they're going to use it. If you have a north African vassal that borders them, release them, because they'll declare on them too.

I'll post a more complete post mortem later, once I get home but I just wanted to address this: it did not help to not border Spain. They declared war for colonies rapidly once I evac'd from north Africa, which is actually why I'm so frustrated. I'll try the 'stay in Europe option' if I can ever get the right start.

Many thanks guys, much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
One thing I don't feel like I completely get in this game is that it seems like AI nations can always sustain a far larger army than I can under the same circumstances.

Like, I'm the Hansa fighting Pommerania, who right now is half occupied by rebels of one stripe or another. His army is identical to mine - eight infantry, four cavalry. But his force limit right now (from the ledger) is only ten, so he's two over. My army, under MY force limit, is costing me 3.83 ducats a month, and his income, checking the ledger, is 3.37. Yet he's happily holding on to his forces. Is he just constantly going deeper and deeper into debt right now, or what? And if so, how on earth can the AI nations do that and somehow still have buildings in every slot when I finally manage to take their provinces?

• Locked thread