Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Pirate Jet posted:

The more acceptable comparison would be Red Dead Redemption, because that's the game that we actually know meets this weird narrative of "hosed under the hood and would be difficult to put on PC as a result," and I don't know if you saw RDR at launch but the end result was a game where people had cougar animations, horses would get stuck in the ground, carriages would spontaneously implode, and sometimes faces wouldn't even render. Here's what we know to be facts and not just NeoGAF rumors: The game runs with almost no frame drops or bugs whatsoever on consoles, the game runs like garbage on PC, the game was done by a different studio than the original on PC, the game's publisher is infamously a bag of dicks. The conclusion here is pretty easy to draw, and saying that "the game is actually screwed on CONSOLES (despite being the better performing and looking version)" is this weird story that seems like it's just trying to throw shade on Rocksteady because you didn't like the car.

I'm not even saying it's Iron Galaxy's fault. The "one month to develop!" rumor almost certainly isn't true because a literal one month would mean you could boot the title screen and that's it - but it's almost certain that WB didn't give Iron Galaxy the resources they actually needed for a decent port.

You're making an argument against something no one said. I stated the rumor was, prior to release, the console versions were hosed. They were. QA testers have said as much. It was delayed twice because of that. They used a PC version at E3 rather than the console versions. They obviously fixed whatever issues they were having before the game went live. What I'm wondering is when Rocksteady unfucked the game, and when IG began work on the port. If Rocksteady mostly fixed the game after IG began to port, then they received a borked build and built the game on a garbage foundation. Then we know it's Rocksteady's fault, and not IG's. If Rocksteady mostly fixed the game and then gave that build to IG, and IG still couldn't make the port work the way it should, then we know IG shares a larger portion of the blame. But again, it goes back to the console version being broken. The QA testers that have come forward have stated that the console version was in such disarray that they were forced to focus mainly on that version, and the PC version received far less support as a result. Again, I didn't say the console version is still broken, so it doesn't make sense to keep reiterating that it isn't.

I also don't know that Knight being ported by a different studio is a big deal, as IG ported Origins and that was a fairly exceptional port bar a couple of game breaking bugs that were eventually addressed. On top of that, for the last however many months, Rocksteady has been "fixing" the PC version, while working alongside Nvidia. The game is apparently so broken that all they managed to do was release the interim patch and make sure the DLC got out there. Now they're basically saying, "Whelp, we tried. Later." and giving refunds to anyone who asks, and stating there are some things they simply can't fix.

This is a stupid conversation so I'll end it there. We can all agree the PC version is garbage. Beat the game, get your achievements, get a refund and put that money toward a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I have to do all 243 loving Riddler things in order to catch him? Goodbye 100%.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wendell posted:

only way it could get worse is if Ubisoft made the batman games, but even then it might not be as tedious as using this poo poo in 4 loving games

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I have to collect 200 feathers to make my catonic mother smile again? gently caress you Ubisoft

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

EDIT BY VALVE: For users who were having trouble submitting a refund for the game purchased on Steam, please try your refund submission again. The issue should have now been resolved.

Eyyy, trying again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Wendell posted:

The saddest part of that is that The Riddler fight is the only actual boss fight in the game.

It's a lovely, easy, uncreative boss fight; but still the only boss fight in the game.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
If you ignore the cloud burst and drill tank thing because you're in the batmobile.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wendell posted:

Yeah when he said that and sank into the floor I thought 'gently caress it, stay down there forever.'

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Mogomra posted:

If you ignore the cloud burst and drill tank thing because you're in the batmobile.

I think that's exactly his point. All the other boss fights take place in the Batmobile. You never really get to go mano a mano with any of the rogues. Except, ironically, Riddler in his robo suit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

I think that's exactly his point. All the other boss fights take place in the Batmobile. You never really get to go mano a mano with any of the rogues. Except, ironically, Riddler in his robo suit.

there's Pyg and his invincible gurney

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wendell posted:

Joke's on you, the Riddler challenges are generally pretty fun!

Also, the battank boss-fights are fun.
In fact, none of the Arkham games are bad games, and they are all really fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

surc posted:

Also, the battank boss-fights are fun.

No

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wait, let me go check---

Yeah, still fun to have a change of pace from most of the game, and the previous 3 games, combat styles to do a hide-and-seek sneak-attack battle in a maze-like setup. :shrug: Maybe you're mis-remembering?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

surc posted:

Wait, let me go check---

Yeah, still fun to have a change of pace from most of the game, and the previous 3 games, combat styles to do a hide-and-seek sneak-attack battle in a maze-like setup. :shrug: Maybe you're mis-remembering?

what change of pace, you're still in the batmobile?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Or are you saying that Rocksteady should be praised for actively avoiding what people enjoyed from the first few games as a change of pace

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

surc posted:

Wait, let me go check---

yeah sure is fun collecting 250 loving mcguffins for the 4th game in a row

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jeeze you guys are pretty invested in not enjoying this game.

In the last page, people have complained about the game having:

1)A new mechanic
2)A popular old mechanic
3)A large variety of batman villains

ayn rand hand job posted:

what change of pace, you're still in the batmobile?

ayn rand hand job posted:

Or are you saying that Rocksteady should be praised for actively avoiding what people enjoyed from the first few games as a change of pace

If you spent most of Arkham Knight in the batmobile, then I'm sorry you don't know how to glide and use the grappling hook, but that's kind of on you. :shrug:

And yes, I'm saying that Rocksteady should be praised for trying new boss fight mechanics after 3 games of the same boss fight mechanics. I was not aware that liking developers trying new things was a revolutionary concept.

E: Me enjoying the boss fight is also a separate thing than me thinking it is good for a developer to try new things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad they did it, and I'm also glad that I think it did work in this instance.

MinibarMatchman posted:

yeah sure is fun collecting 250 loving mcguffins for the 4th game in a row

I mean, you could just pretend there aren't trophies at the end of the puzzles, if that prevents you from enjoying puzzles, I guess? Or are you legitimately mad that they put too many optional mini-games in for people who enjoy mini-games?

surc fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 2, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

surc posted:

Jeeze you guys are pretty invested in not enjoying this game.

In the last page, people have complained about the game having:

1)A new mechanic
2)A popular old mechanic
3)A large variety of batman villains

If you spent most of Arkham Knight in the batmobile, then I'm sorry you don't know how to glide and use the grappling hook, but that's kind of on you. :shrug:

And yes, I'm saying that Rocksteady should be praised for trying new boss fight mechanics after 3 games of the same boss fight mechanics. I was not aware that liking developers trying new things was a revolutionary concept.

E: Me enjoying the boss fight is also a separate thing than me thinking it is good for a developer to try new things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm glad they did it, and I'm also glad that I think it did work in this instance.

I mean, you could just pretend there aren't trophies at the end of the puzzles, if that prevents you from enjoying puzzles, I guess? Or are you legitimately mad that they put too many optional mini-games in for people who enjoy mini-games?

your not wrong, I do think people are to an extent too overly critical of the game. but at the same time it feels like for every step forward, they took 2 back.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The game is good, but the batmobosses were not, I'm fine with the rest of the game barring dlc and port quality.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

surc posted:

Lots of them are just going to a slightly-out-of-the-way spot and picking up an item, with many more involving doing that combined with a really basic use of a gadget.

The more complex ones are good (and I like all of the "take a picture of Batman lore" ones), but like several of the other things you alluded to it's a case of quantity being used as a substitute for quality.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

CuwiKhons posted:

I cannot get over this. You rematch Deathstroke in a loving tank battle, but get in a fist fight with The Riddler?! How the gently caress did that happen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, this game pretty much always worked on my PC, but now it's gonna fund my purchase of Fallout 4.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, this game pretty much always worked on my PC, but now it's gonna fund my purchase of Fallout 4.

Everyone should do this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I cannot get over this. You rematch Deathstroke in a loving tank battle, but get in a fist fight with The Riddler?! How the gently caress did that happen.

Per the ingame Gotham stories, Deathstroke came back to Gotham to try to take Batman out because he's actually really afraid of him to the point that it's harming his ability to function.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I bought my key for Arkham Knight via a website, not direct from Steam. Any word on if we will be able to refund from non Steam purchases?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I mainly can't get over the fact that you fight main villain, Evil Batman, Arkham Knight in another tank battle and never face-to-face

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

I bought my key for Arkham Knight via a website, not direct from Steam. Any word on if we will be able to refund from non Steam purchases?

You're not going to get a refund from Steam, you didn't give them any money. Talk to whoever you brought it from. Green Man Gaming was giving refunds before the re-launch, don't know if they still are.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Veotax posted:

You're not going to get a refund from Steam, you didn't give them any money. Talk to whoever you brought it from. Green Man Gaming was giving refunds before the re-launch, don't know if they still are.

They are now!

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/11/batman-arkham-knight-update.html

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I mainly can't get over the fact that you fight main villain, Evil Batman, Arkham Knight in another tank battle and never face-to-face

this is pretty much the answer to all the "why tank battles suck" points. even if they were fine, they still robbed you of infinitely better fights

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

surc posted:

I spent every second I possibly could not being in the Batmobile. I still spent way more time than I wanted to in the Batmobile.

quote:

Here's the thing - I would have been okay with one or two Batmobile boss fights. Trying something new is good, even if it doesn't work. But when almost every single boss fight in the game boils down to a Batmobile fight, then that's just garbage, just like it was garbage when nearly every fight in AA was the exact same Titan boss fight.

quote:

I like collectibles and I like the Riddler so the amount of puzzles didn't actually bother me. But I can understand people who are mad that the full ending is locked behind doing almost 250 little minigames, some of which are obnoxious.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

How does this even work, do they contact Valve to take the game off your purchases?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Parallax posted:

How does this even work, do they contact Valve to take the game off your purchases?

Pretty much!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

I spent every second I possibly could not being in the Batmobile. I still spent way more time than I wanted to in the Batmobile.
:agreed:

CuwiKhons posted:

Here's the thing - I would have been okay with one or two Batmobile boss fights. Trying something new is good, even if it doesn't work. But when almost every single boss fight in the game boils down to a Batmobile fight, then that's just garbage, just like it was garbage when nearly every fight in AA was the exact same Titan boss fight.
:perfect:

CuwiKhons posted:

I like collectibles and I like the Riddler so the amount of puzzles didn't actually bother me. But I can understand people who are mad that the full ending is locked behind doing almost 250 little minigames, some of which are obnoxious.
:yeah:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Veotax posted:

Well yes, I wasn't expecting a refund from Steam which is why I was explictly asking about a purchase from a non Steam vendor. I was just asking if anyone had heard anything about refunds from key sellers as all the stuff I had seen was talking about Steam refunds.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anyone tried to get a refund from gamesplanet? Not sure if I should even bother trying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with the Batmobile is that nothing changes. The various enemy types are too similar and there's no real mechanic beyond "shoot" and "press button when meter is full for lots of dead enemies." If it had Batmobile Gadgets that actually worked like Batman and the various tanks had different gimmicks I'd probably complain less about it. The Cobra tanks are okay but even they have one gimmick.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I got a refund from GMG, hell yea.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with the Batmobile is that nothing changes. The various enemy types are too similar and there's no real mechanic beyond "shoot" and "press button when meter is full for lots of dead enemies." If it had Batmobile Gadgets that actually worked like Batman and the various tanks had different gimmicks I'd probably complain less about it. The Cobra tanks are okay but even they have one gimmick.

Didn't you make this argument a few months ago or something

Seems familiar

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I said it before and I'm-a sticking with it, the greatest sin of Tank-combat is the lack of the...personal touch. Dynamic goon dialogue, their getting more scared as time goes on, the ability to just slowly gently caress with them or go at them like a maniac...all of that is gone. It's just a silent aim-shoot-aim-shoot gauntlet that just finally ends and then either Jason or Deathstroke lobs a dumb taunt at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

redbackground posted:

I said it before and I'm-a sticking with it, the greatest sin of Tank-combat is the lack of the...personal touch. Dynamic goon dialogue, their getting more scared as time goes on, the ability to just slowly gently caress with them or go at them like a maniac...all of that is gone. It's just a silent aim-shoot-aim-shoot gauntlet that just finally ends and then either Jason or Deathstroke lobs a dumb taunt at you.

Yeah, they've had two or three games to sort the hand-to-hand stuff out so that's pretty polished at this point, but all the Batmobile stuff is just completely unrefined.

• Locked thread