Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

I never got into pokemon. I was slightly too old for it when it first happened, like, I was graduating high school when the first huge wave arrived---I know because my little brother, seven years my junior, was massively into it, back when there were only 150. I tried playing one of the DS remakes (gold iirc) a few years back, it was okay, I just never understood why people flipped out about it so hard. I got as far as the last fight against the guy on the top of the mountain, but gently caress if I was going to grind up another twenty levels on each guy on my first team to match his poo poo.

I've tried to make heads or tails of it since then. I was in the perfect demographic for it, being in 5th grade when it appeared, and I loved the games. The show I enjoyed and the cards were ok though I never bought a pack, I was very good at trading them though. Anyway, they're fun little games, decent rpg's with some customization and with cute little creatures. I think I enjoyed the fact they were animal like since I was huge into animals as a kid, so that was cool I guess? I don't know it's hard to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

100 is correct, Mr Saturn is the best pokey man.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
it was the perfect storm of collectable, rpg, and cute pets.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Also please tell me if you don''t want me to mail you human body parts tia.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Also please tell me if you don''t want me to mail you human body parts tia.

Prefer that you do tbh

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

mr.capps posted:

someone is getting a ps3 for christmas this year

Goddamnit.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Signed up!

Gift me boardgames goons. I have all the music movies books and video games I could ever want.

Unless asiina, in which case my favorite pokemon is suicune. I lost my poo poo the first time I saw him and have been in love ever since.

Edit: last year I gifted mills both resistances and a vinyl of kanye West's single 'power' with some cool art. A gift he wanted and a gift I would have gotten for myself. If you're not okay with my gifting style just tell me. I'd rather everyone have a merry Christmas rather than me just force something I thing you'll like on you, santee.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 2, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

The Ninth Annual Mafia Secret Santa!!

Wooooooo.

Asiina posted:

Everyone who signs up please tell me your favourite pokeyman or other such thing that you would like to have a knitted version of. I make pokemon, various other video game monsters and companions, I made The Stig last year, but honestly my people making skills are not as good as my cute animal making skills, but if you insist I will try!

If you feel like getting creative you could try to make a fluffy wambler from Dwarf Fortress. Alternatively some of the unique subterranean creatures would be neat too. Floating guts, magma crabs, and plump helmet men would make interesting knit creatures.

If none of that interests you, Magikarp is good... or a realistic looking BEE.

~~

If my Secret Santa can't figure out what to get me, I enjoy Astronomy and prefer to adorn my living space with practical (or questionably practical) things. I have temperature and humidity gauges on the wall for instance. I used to have a lot of posters that were reference sheets. Measurement conversions, delta-v maps for the solar system, etc but those were made unnecessary by smartphones. But that should give you an idea of what I like.

I also have a collection of polyhedral dice. Maybe you have local stores that have unique things. I've exhausted everywhere I can find in my area that would sell dice. Ordering off the internet is a bit too expensive for my taste. I've been looking for a couple weather determining dice. I already have some dice that determine things like cardinal directions and wounded bodyparts and anything else I can use to simulate a world with unique dice would be really cool.

If you have more money than sense I've been looking around for a pocket spyglass.

But don't feel limited by any of this. If you have your own ideas I'm pretty open.

~~

I'm terrible at coming up with gifts so I hope my Santee makes a list or I'll probably stalk their interests on the board. Last year I gave out fist-sized jawbreakers to my Santee and various acquaintances. Those went over well.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 2, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Signing up, since things seem to be actually stabilizing. :toot:

Ernie. posted:

Gift me boardgames goons.
I want to say the same thing, except I don't really have many people to play with, and the closest Nerd Gathering Place is like 20 minutes by drive.

Last year, I sent a gag gift, and got some really cool hand-made stuff, and I'm more than fine with either of those. If you want to buy me a physical thing, then maybe buy me Hive if it's not too expensive right now? I've been meaning to pick that up for a while, and it's the kind of game that's easy to carry around and introduce to random people.

Or just stalk my post history and surprise me? I'm not exactly super secretive about my interests.

Asiina posted:

gently caress YEAH SECRET SANTA!!!!!!

Everyone who signs up please tell me your favourite pokeyman or other such thing that you would like to have a knitted version of. I make pokemon, various other video game monsters and companions, I made The Stig last year, but honestly my people making skills are not as good as my cute animal making skills, but if you insist I will try!

Also if you live anywhere that has ever seen snow I will make you a hat and/or scarf either in your favourite colour or in some fancy wool that I find.
I see snow quite often, and my favorite Pokeymans... I have a lot. Cute-animal-wise, though? Definitely Gible. It's basically a giant shark mouth with arms and legs, what's not to love?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 2, 2015

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ernie. posted:

Signed up!

Gift me boardgames goons. I have all the music movies books and video games I could ever want.

Unless asiina, in which case my favorite pokemon is suicune. I lost my poo poo the first time I saw him and have been in love ever since.

Ernie you should tell the thread what versions of monopoly you have so you don't get doubled up.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

Ernie you should tell the thread what versions of monopoly you have so you don't get doubled up.

I have monopoly deal, tichu, chess and the xcom board game. That is it. I own no other board games.

Keane on the other hand is about to say something smug like "chess is not a board game its a way of life" and break my heart.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Signing up, since things seem to be actually stabilizing. :toot:

I want to say the same thing, except I don't really have many people to play with, and the closest Nerd Gathering Place is like 20 minutes by drive.

Last year, I sent a gag gift, and got some really cool hand-made stuff, and I'm more than fine with either of those. If you want to buy me a physical thing, then maybe buy me Hive if it's not too expensive right now? I've been meaning to pick that up for a while, and it's the kind of game that's easy to carry around and introduce to random people.

Or just stalk my post history and surprise me? I'm not exactly super secretive about my interests.

I see snow quite often, and my favorite Pokeymans... I have a lot. Cute-animal-wise, though? Definitely Gible. It's basically a giant shark mouth with arms and legs, what's not to love?

How do you feel about bees

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ernie. posted:

I have monopoly deal, tichu, chess and the xcom board game. That is it. I own no other board games.

Keane on the other hand is about to say something smug like "chess is not a board game its a way of life" and break my heart.

Ernie I would never say that to break your heart.

Although I will say that when you play it they're really more properly called bored games.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I never got into pokemon. I was slightly too old for it when it first happened, like, I was graduating high school when the first huge wave arrived---I know because my little brother, seven years my junior, was massively into it, back when there were only 150. I tried playing one of the DS remakes (gold iirc) a few years back, it was okay, I just never understood why people flipped out about it so hard. I got as far as the last fight against the guy on the top of the mountain, but gently caress if I was going to grind up another twenty levels on each guy on my first team to match his poo poo.

I got into it despite being the same age as you, mostly because there were so few rpgs for handhelds then, and it reminded me so much of Earthbound in the art style.

On the off chance I had Asiina I would go with Froslass or Whismur for Pokemon, or the dog from Duck Hunt. Other than that, surprise me. You can't go wrong with something Nintendo related.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 2, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CCKeane posted:

How do you feel about bees
You should ask Poque how I feel about bees.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Can Keane be my santee I'd like to send him a bunch of dead bees With a note saying 'you're next'

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
poque what does pmush think abotu bees?

also star wars is bad, star trek is worse, and xmas is worse than both combined.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I am attempting to sign up although I may or may not have grinched in the past (my memory of that time in my life is a little hazy). If I end up in the swap, Asiina, idgaf about Pokemon but if you knitted me an Elcor I would cuddle it daily.

General Santa Note to anyone who just can't stop themselves from sending live bees -- I have zero problem with this, but please let Ecco know so I can get you my alternate address. You would make my beekeeper mom extremely happy, and force my most belligerent teenage sister to live with an observation hive in her room all winter until it's warm enough for the bees to forage.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I am planning on sending tasteful nudes to my santee.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've played a lot of fun games that would make good gifts recently.

I love books and will read gifted books especially if the giver is giving said book away with intent/reason. I dig music but that's harder to give people but I love all the bands in the book Our Band Could Be Your Life and stuff from Sonic Youth or the Replacements would go over exceedingly well (though with the former I do have all their music + side projects etc.)

I love food and cooking tools: knives, mortar and pestles, etc. I love that crap. I'm getting into city/balcony gardening as well as running. I guess that does it for hobbies?

I would be more than pleased to get a game on my steam wishlist, I tend to choose those with care especially the top 10. I wouldn't begrudge this on anyone's part since shipping internationally can and is often a bitch.

Edit: looking through it the whole wishlist is organized how I'd want it. I'm such a librarian... It's divided between games and then rocksmith DLC because I'm not mixing those two things.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 2, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
please match me with Keane

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

As incredible as it'd be to set up a hive on the rooftop next to my balcony, illegal as it may be, I don't think my partner would approve and I get the feeling that shipping live insects internationally would end super poorly.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

bowmore posted:

please match me with Keane

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've played a lot of fun games that would make good gifts recently.

I love books and will read gifted books especially if the giver is giving said book away with intent/reason. I dig music but that's harder to give people but I love all the bands in the book Our Band Could Be Your Life and stuff from Sonic Youth or the Replacements would go over exceedingly well (though with the former I do have all their music + side projects etc.)

I love food and cooking tools: knives, mortar and pestles, etc. I love that crap. I'm getting into city/balcony gardening as well as running. I guess that does it for hobbies?

I would be more than pleased to get a game on my steam wishlist, I tend to choose those with care especially the top 10. I wouldn't begrudge this on anyone's part since shipping internationally can and is often a bitch.

Edit: looking through it the whole wishlist is organized how I'd want it. I'm such a librarian... It's divided between games and then rocksmith DLC because I'm not mixing those two things.

Important question: Would you read a gifted book if the intent/reason was to troll you?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Important question: Would you read a gifted book if the intent/reason was to troll you?

Yes. I can't dislike a book either without what's knowing in it. I've spite read many a time, just so I can properly tell someone why it's such a bad read.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Things I like with no exceptions: Hearthstone, The Dresden Files, Tasteful nudes, The new Dragonball Z trading card game, DBZ Abridged, The Smith Street Band, Jeff Rosenstock, owls

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
hey CCKeane i have a great book for you

http://sidharta.com/title/A_Project_in_Ammonia

we had to review this book at our last job and it's not as awful as it sounds.

it's way worse.

engineers are bad.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

busb posted:

hey CCKeane i have a great book for you

http://sidharta.com/title/A_Project_in_Ammonia

we had to review this book at our last job and it's not as awful as it sounds.

it's way worse.

engineers are bad.

We really are.

There's a theory in process optimization called Theory of Constraint, which is very simple: every process is ultimately governed by a constraint, and removing or improving this constraint is the only way to ultimately improve output.

This one goddamn line theory is buried in a novelization of it called "The Goal" which inept engineers slobber over.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

CCKeane posted:

I am planning on sending tasteful nudes to my santee.

If you get me can you send distasteful nudes instead?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

We really are.

There's a theory in process optimization called Theory of Constraint, which is very simple: every process is ultimately governed by a constraint, and removing or improving this constraint is the only way to ultimately improve output.

This one goddamn line theory is buried in a novelization of it called "The Goal" which inept engineers slobber over.

Please write a novel about anthropomorphized packaging.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DuckHuntDog posted:

I got into it despite being the same age as you, mostly because there were so few rpgs for handhelds then, and it reminded me so much of Earthbound in the art style.

On the off chance I had Asiina I would go with Froslass or Whismur for Pokemon, or the dog from Duck Hunt. Other than that, surprise me.

Yeah, I didn't own a handheld until a GBA-SP, so that probably has something to do with it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

We really are.

I read that when I was like 12, since it was on my stepfather's bookshelf. That shelf being directly above his way-more-interesting record collection is why I also read through most of a mid-80s edition of the Shooter's Bible.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That was the first system I bought with my own money alongside Golden Sun 2. Pretty great year. I hope someone saves this page number so we can all reference it super easily once we get our people.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I signed up for Secret Santa hope that didn't close yet, sorry Ecco!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Quidnose posted:

I signed up for Secret Santa hope that didn't close yet, sorry Ecco!

it literally opened a few hours ago.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Goddamn, Grandi, you lost both Bell and Smith Sr. early and you still might beat me. Insane week.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i feel like everyone should send keane nudes of themselves right now

that way whoever his santee is will just have nudes of everybody without knowing who has what

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The most intriguing part is not knowing who is necessarily who.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The most intriguing part is not knowing who is necessarily who.

bowmore just signs his junk 'nolovedeepweb' normally, thoughh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Signed up! My favorite pokemon is any squirtle that is wearing sunglasses. Thanks.

My interests include arcane, quirky and/or good-looking books. I keep them on my bookshelf. In lieu of that, any sort of spy novel - le Carre, Fleming, Ludlum - is my current kick. All I've read is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy & Our Game by le Carre, so anything else would be cool as hell. But handmade gifts and gag gifts are totally cool too! I am not very picky at all.