Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

McGiggins posted:

- fixed invisible voxels
Well, now I can see gold again, there goes my weekend :ohdear:

It was very much not fixed at all.

Also refineries and assemblers are randomly not doing anything and to get them to start again you need to reload your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It was very much not fixed at all.

Try clearing the shader cache folder. It can be found on your PC at %AppData%\SpaceEngineers\ShaderCache

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I see what you mean :(

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Rorac posted:

So, after doing some testing and looking up of stuff, I found out how much thrust my fighter design has in the final version of it (well, most recent). Apparently it's 37N/kg. :psyduck: I knew it was fast but goddamn. I guess that's what happens when you cram 2 sage thrusters into a ~24,000kg ship.

Quoting myself, but after some rejiggering (I've been away from the game for a while), turns out that the ship only makes 33N/kg. Had to add more powerplants because it was overloading, but after some conveyor rerouting, it holds a bit more ammo now. :v:

Actually, come to think of it, any of the pro ship builders here have any advice to improve this? It's actually the first craft I've built, and I intend on working on it a bit more to reduce weight. Anybody have any suggested mods or building tricks to share? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544434467

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If the wings are hollow you may as well just cut them off and reduce your frontal area.

I've updated my conveyor construction rebalance, as I realised that keen only adjusted the large conveyor block and not any of the other tubes or small conveyors.
The vanilla component lists make tubes actually more expensive, more durable and much heavier than conveyor blocks, which is pretty silly. Also the last update removed the glass windows on tubes but the recipe still requires them, so I fixed that too.

Get the fix here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330601026

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try clearing the shader cache folder. It can be found on your PC at %AppData%\SpaceEngineers\ShaderCache

Seemed to work for all of 2 minutes and it was back with a vengeance. The asteroid part of my asteroid base is 90% invisible.

New issue: My small mining/welding/grinding ship (has a couple of rotors for changing modes) keeps inexplicably falling apart and/or exploding. There aren't any enemy ships close by so I don't even know. Maybe the rotors are freaking out?

Man I was looking forward to some bug fixes today and things only managed to get even worse...

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

GotLag posted:

If the wings are hollow you may as well just cut them off and reduce your frontal area.

Well, they're partly hollow. I had to fill in some of the space recently when I reconfigured the tubing system, and the back of the wing holds some large thrusters, so the ship would have the same frontal area anyways. I kind of like the hollowness because it allows some future expansion. If something gets added to the in the future that I can fit into there, or a mod has something useful like, I dunno, a shield system or a cloaking device, I can fit it into there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rorac posted:

Quoting myself, but after some rejiggering (I've been away from the game for a while), turns out that the ship only makes 33N/kg. Had to add more powerplants because it was overloading, but after some conveyor rerouting, it holds a bit more ammo now. :v:

Actually, come to think of it, any of the pro ship builders here have any advice to improve this? It's actually the first craft I've built, and I intend on working on it a bit more to reduce weight. Anybody have any suggested mods or building tricks to share? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544434467

If you're going that small, go for speed rather than armor. Turrets can't hit poo poo when you're hurtling about at max speed, so cut the wings down and rebuild them with Light Blocks. A 3x3 Hydrogen thruster would also be a big improvement for forward acceleration if you're not using mods. If you want some decorative wings, however, try the Blast Door Sections and Wing Parts mods.

On the same note, if only to show off some decorative wings as an example, my own shuttle has started getting more NASA-esque. At least it can actually fly in gravity now instead of needing the belly thrusters to jet vertically constantly.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

quote:

EDIT 10/30/2015:
Update 01.106.011
- fixed invisible voxels
- fixed rotors/pistons not being locked at high velocity

Maaaybe this time it'll work

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Works for me this time!

Hopefully it does for you all as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Firos posted:

Are you saying it consumes 36GW?

Yes.

It's a bit confusing though, Keen appear to be basing their calculations around using the chemical energy of the hydrogen (even though oxygen isn't required), rather than as reaction mass.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 31, 2015

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try it with Station Voxel Support disabled. Maybe it's somehow converting both pieces instead of one into a ship.

Thanks, that seems to work. I kind of wanted realistic stations but I guess they need thrusters.

Patch status: Version 1.106 has refineries get stuck processing one type of ore, if they process anything at all. The world seems to need reloading everytime you want to switch ore. The Surgeon General suggests playing another game until a hotfix comes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
OP's updated with bug status.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I've finally gotten my first combat ship ready to show. I feel like this ship needs more revision, but I hopeing critiques will help me focus on areas it's weak in.

Pololū (Long Spear) - Light Combat Cruiser

Album
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=545606784

I've been giving my combat ships Hawaiian warrior/weapons names because nobody has done that on the workshop. Once I starting painting, the sector-of-fire separators vaguely looked like the pattern of tiger shark teeth found on the native spears. I wanted a craft to be able to quickly dominate and disable any current hostile NPC ship without causing so much damage it's not worth salvaging anymore. I've run it against the various hostiles in creative and only lose a few turrets. I haven't built it on my survival server yet, so I don't know if the ammo usage/weight will cause issues. However, I have lots of ammo in my stores from before cargo NPCs could call for backup, so I should be fine. I'm keeping this full stock, but I want to experiment with that turret convergence script, even if it's kind of hobbled in vanilla mode. The turrets not prioritizing enemy turrets first really cuts in to my salvage. I also wanted to work in some kind of decoy printer/launcher, but am not sure how to make a small compact one yet. Anyone have any examples?

As for the ship as it stands now, I love the way the broadside windows/hangar doors came out. It feels a little gimmicky and is definitely a weak point in crew protection, but I like to fly things in 1PV/cameras only as much as possible. I found that building sector separators directly next to turrets damages the turret itself when enemies cross over the limiter. Spacing the separators an extra block away helped a lot, but I think the missiles AOE still gets it occasionally. I've taken to flying in to range already at a broadside position and then circle the target at 600-800m to give the anti-missile turrets enough time to track what few missiles they can. I feel like I need a way to increase the retrograde thrust, but I don't see where I can hide another large thruster or some smalls spread across the front face. The navigation lights came out as a nice touch. I sperged in to navigation/hazard light standards and found the right blink rate and what color pattern the real world Cygnus space craft is using for its marking lights. Should the thruster damage range increase, I'll have to stretch the back end some more. The wikis list much longer damage areas for thrusters then what they are currently damaging.

I can't wait to take this ship in to battle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amechwarrior posted:

I've finally gotten my first combat ship ready to show. I feel like this ship needs more revision, but I hopeing critiques will help me focus on areas it's weak in.

Pololū (Long Spear) - Light Combat Cruiser

Album
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=545606784

I gave it some poking and prodding :science:.

• First off, the internal thrusters are really nice, but you should seal up the exposed area at the back. There's no reason for it, it just gets the thrusters shot at. If you need to repair them, there's already gonna be a hole to let you in :v:
  • The exposed antennae and solar panels are worthless. Gut out that big reverse-thruster, then place an internal antenna in the center row and small thrusters on either side instead. If you want backup power, stick some batteries throughout the ship because if you're down to needing solar power to survive, you're missing much more important bits of your ship anyway.
  • The external Internal Turrets aren't gonna be that useful. Hand-feeding them all ammo constantly will just be a nuisance in the long-run, and with where they're positioned they're likely to be the first things targeted/shot off anyway.
  • This one's just a general suggestion, but see if you can get a forward-firing Rocket Launcher or two into it. It's always nice to have something you know will shoot exactly where you want it to.
  • I'd also say it feels more like a Gunboat than a full cruiser, just because it's a single-room interior for a few people to go kill stuff with then come home, but that's just opinion and fully admitting my own ships tend to get relatively oversized.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nobody uses Small Ship Small Containers in their miners for ore storage, right?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

Nobody uses Small Ship Small Containers in their miners for ore storage, right?

I usually just use the drills themselves, each one has a medium cargo built in

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I can't for the life of me make a ship using large drills that can reliably go through an asteroid without getting stuck, even while coasting along at 0.5m/s, intertial dampners on, reverse thrusters disabled.

I am just going to give up and use modded drills.

Not that it particularly matters i suppose since I generally just use a small ship with a bunch of drills to mine in survival.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This has you covered, drill-friend:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349431610

In other news, I am now unable to load my save without it CTDing within 1-2 seconds of entering the world. This may be a result of mods, though I am unsure as to which, as they should all be stable and updated.

I shall attempt to divine the cause tonight and see if it is just something of my own doing. I did leave some grinders on and active when I saved, so perhaps they're doing something when the world loads in?

Make sure to keep a Start-of-session backup folks! :(

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I can't for the life of me make a ship using large drills that can reliably go through an asteroid without getting stuck, even while coasting along at 0.5m/s, intertial dampners on, reverse thrusters disabled.

Not that it particularly matters i suppose since I generally just use a small ship with a bunch of drills to mine in survival.

I use modded drills because then I can use less drills and it lags less.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Does anybody have any survival tips? I've pretty much made my asteroid made drone-proof and I think I'm ready to go on the offensive now. I would like to steal some big ships but it seems even the private sail can smash my little fighter thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Does anybody have any survival tips? I've pretty much made my asteroid made drone-proof and I think I'm ready to go on the offensive now. I would like to steal some big ships but it seems even the private sail can smash my little fighter thing.

Turrets have a max range of 800m. Fixed weapons have a range of 1,000m. Have fun.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The vanilla large drills suck because they don't drill out a larger cross section than themselves. The small ones do.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Time to pick this up again after a long hiatus. Kind of bummed planets still aren't out but hey, ship building is a good time-waster.

It's readily apparent that a good interior or good exterior is an either / or situation for me and not a "pick both".

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I gave it some poking and prodding :science:.

Thanks for that list. Yea, the back end was really an afterthought and it has suffered for it. I wanted another bracket of big turrets like the rest of the ship, but couldn't get the conveyor network protected enough. I kept the prograde thrusters channel open because 100% hotboxing the thrusters irks me. I can't seem to get away from doing it for the retros. It's my self inflicted penance, and it's not like this ship is for PVP. The intent of the solars/oxy farm was not combat longevity, but for idle operations. It won't use as much or any U/O2 while docked and I'm offline. I think putting that antenna in the center with smalls is the right call. I will have to work on that once I get some time to play again.

It really is a gunboat, I only plan on bring it out when it's time for something to die. I just used this chart I found for the light cruiser designation. I have over 10k small mags and a whole large container of gat ammo crates so I don't mind just filling the Int.Turrets once and if they get shot out no big loss. They are only set to shoot meteors/rockets/people so ammo use should be minimal. One side effect is that they do get targeted a lot. This actually draws fire from the real turrets so I'm thinking about only loading 50% of the AMS turrets and the rest will become decoys. I was planning on broadside fixed rocket launchers, but controlling the ship while trying to aim them was not easy. Front facing ones I could use for "final blow" type shots where I can face the target after most of the defenses are down and I need to just knock off the last 1 or 2 turrets without causing more collateral damage. I want to put them just next to the bow turrets base so I reuse the storage/conveyors automatically, but I fear a Gat. turret pointing the wrong way could set them off. I will give that a test just to see.

Thanks again for that list, I was unhappy with where I had the antennas and maybe I can find a protected place for the solars.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I built a ugly, cheap small ship with 8 fixed guns in a square around a central camera. Add some thrusters and a cockpit behind the guns to keep the center of mass in line with the camera so as you shoot, you don't torque away from your point of aim, only a little backwards motion. With dampeners off, I match speed and heading with the NPC ships at 3k away, zoom into 700m-800m and snipe the antennas and turrets. Make sure not to destroy the turrets, just disable or else the ammo is lost. Then I use my ships forward facing landing gears to lock on to the craft and turn on my dampeners. It takes forever to slow down things like Mil. Transports, but it gets them stopped without setting off any traps. Then just hack your way in as you please. I've gotten more ammo and materials then I know what to do with. Now that they can call for backup, I have been targeting the antennas first and they seem to call 911 (if they do at all) around 2k distance. It seems like neutral NPC ships (anything not pirates) have their turrets set to about 500-600m. I only got to pay for the little ammo used and fuel burned, for whole pristine NPC ships.

Even if the NPC ship does the dedicated server teleport on me and smashes my craft, it's expendable. On dedicated servers, the ships like to warp forward/backwards so I find that latching on to the furthest left or right side extremities will ensure you don't get slammed by the warping. This is also why I have to stop the ship before I hack in, as I've died many times to warps happening while I was trying to get inside while in motion and then my ship is carried away to boot. Once it's stopped, the lag jumping stops with it. Another tip, if int. turrets are blocking your way, I just build light armor boxes between me and the turret and just keep LOS broken, this way I don't waste the turrets ammo or my own before I can shut down all the power sources. Piracy is way more profitable than mining, specially when it comes to magnesium items like rockets and Gat. ammo. Just be sure to build a large grinder ship/station so you can get those ships out of your way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I haven't tested myself, but if you still prefer to not go full humongous drill yet, you should probably check [u]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309724427]this[/url] out.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Amechwarrior posted:

Just be sure to build a large grinder ship/station so you can get those ships out of your way.

Like this one:

That's two minelayers in there. The blast door 'fingers' keep anything from getting away, and push everything into the maw :getin:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Make one of the sides hinged and we can start talking. :colbert:

Kidding, it's pretty rad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there a workaround for this on Windows 10?

I can play the game just fine, but when I try to Save and Exit it freezes up, and I have to open Task Manager to get out of the process. Even then, it runs in the background and I can't stop it, so I have to restart my computer if I want to play it again. I've read online that this is an OS thing or it's a DirectX thing. No way to really know. Didn't know if there was some accepted fix for it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zodack posted:

Is there a workaround for this on Windows 10?

I can play the game just fine, but when I try to Save and Exit it freezes up, and I have to open Task Manager to get out of the process. Even then, it runs in the background and I can't stop it, so I have to restart my computer if I want to play it again. I've read online that this is an OS thing or it's a DirectX thing. No way to really know. Didn't know if there was some accepted fix for it.

Not sure about an actual fix but grab Process Explorer. That'll let you see the processes on your system in tree form; there's probably another Space Engineers-related process that also isn't terminating, so if you kill that as well, you'll probably be able to get back in without a reboot at least.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Windows 10? You'll need to run in DX11 mode.

Open %APPDATA%\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\SpaceEngineers.cfg and make sure the GraphicsRenderer is "DirectX 11"

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

buttcoinbrony posted:

Not sure about an actual fix but grab Process Explorer. That'll let you see the processes on your system in tree form; there's probably another Space Engineers-related process that also isn't terminating, so if you kill that as well, you'll probably be able to get back in without a reboot at least.

Oh, I can see the process, I just can't terminate it. Steam lists it as the repercussion of a program crashing. It's not a big deal, my computer has an SSD so reboots take all of 20 seconds, but it's still a nuisance.

GotLag posted:

Open %APPDATA%\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\SpaceEngineers.cfg and make sure the GraphicsRenderer is "DirectX 11"

I tried this, actually, and the error still persisted.

Right now what seems to work is running it in admin mode and Windows 8 compatibility. At least, we'll see how that goes until I try to save and exit.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I've found running it in windowed fullscreen mode prevents the unkillable zombie process thing from happening in Windows 10.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'll try it.

It might be an issue with my new GPU drivers, as I just now found out that they're stopping Skyrim and Fallout: NV from working properly.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It's a Windows 10 thing, I had the same problem (dx11 fixed it for me, compatibility mode didn't work).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've found running it in windowed fullscreen mode prevents the unkillable zombie process thing from happening in Windows 10.

Hadn't thought of that, but I run everything I possibly can in windowed full-screen anyway because I have multiple monitors.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

GotLag posted:

So, oddly enough, although I said earlier that this didn't work, I tried it again and it's working fine now. Strange.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GotLag posted:

Hadn't thought of that, but I run everything I possibly can in windowed full-screen anyway because I have multiple monitors.

Windowed fullscreen always works just fine for me, it just goes in the primary monitor? :shrug:

Edit: Oh, duh. I thought you said you can't use windowed full screen due to multiple monitors. Reading comprehension, who needs it?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 3, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I like switching tasks without video mode fuckery, or tabbing over to my second screen without minimising the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Windowed full screen should be a mandatory-included option on everything these days, and it is surprising that it is not.

• Locked thread