Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Labradoodle posted:

Personally, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy. I can understand being scared for his family, but let's be honest here, if the government assigned him to the Lopez case his hands probably weren't clean to begin with. I'll bet he has some nice assets in the US and he was scared of sanctions due to his involvement.

There's a group in the United States called "Exiled Venezuelan Political Prisoners" or something like that who released a statement today calling on the US government to deny Nieves a visa for this reason. They say that Nieves has been involved in human rights violations (political persecution) for a while and that coming forward now doesn't suddenly absolve him of wrongdoing.

Over the weekend, Eladio Aponte Aponte (the former Supreme Court justice who claimed to have received orders from Chavez to fake charges against Manuel Rosales in 2008) wrote and signed what looks like an affidavit in Costa Rica stating as much. Part of it reads:

quote:

The President of the Tribunal [the Supreme Court] ordered us to do this saying that it was an order from President Hugo Chavez, who had told her, “Manuel Rosales must go to prison. This scum must be in prison, not governing a state. He can’t be free, and you have to assume that responsibility”.

A climate of fear fell upon the Tribunal that constantly threatened the decision on whether or not action would be taken against former governor Rosales, and it was decided that if no case existed, one would have to be invented. The moment the case was archived, it was ordered re-opened immediately and that’s how it proceeded. The order was given sine die, indefinitely.

At the same time, I go on record saying that given the pressure placed [on the judiciary], the 19th Control Tribunal for the Caracas Metropolitan Area was forced to proceed with a case, which I reviewed, where no apparent evidence existed of corruption. This is case 19C1202209.

This order was given for the first time on October 25 2008 (…)

The evidence is overwhelming that there is no such thing as judicial independence in Venezuela. The courts and the legal system are just an extension of the President's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

It's the first time I've seen that. You know a poll is biased, you publish it anyway, and then you mention that the poll is biased. At least they're honest about their dishonesty.

They're should be some honesty about the polls.

Polling doesn't really work in totalitarian regimes where giving the wrong answer can get you killed. "I don't know you, but I know where you live, so who do you want to vote for, the president for life or some random rear end in a top hat." Amazingly, a lot of people don't give honest answers to pollsters.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Yesterday, shoppers blocked the road outside the Bicentenario supermarket in Palo Verde, Caracas to protest the lack of food. La Patilla had a journalist there who recorded some of the citizens' opinions on the crisis. The video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrvayOTeQc

I've translated it below to the best of my ability. It was tricky because a lot of people were yelling over each other, and it was hard to make out some of what was said. However, I think it's worth having a listen (or a read, if you don't speak Spanish), because it'll give you a feel for what some of the people on the ground are thinking as they're living through this.

quote:

Woman in Purple: The people are hungry! We’re hungry! We’re lied to every day. There’s no chicken today. When can we buy it? On Tuesday! The people are hungry! There’s no food! [people chant, “The people are hungry!”] We’ve been here since two, three, four in the morning, and only now they tell us there’s no food. It’s not fair.
Cameraman: What time is it now?
Woman in Purple: It’s 1:00 PM, and we’ve been here since two, three in the morning. Who’s got answers for us? No one. We have rights. Our children eat, and they’re hungry. There’s hunger. We’re hungry.

Woman in Orange: What they’re doing to us is humiliating [man in the background: “This is a joke!”]. Since 3:00 AM, yo soy una persona impertinencia ["I am an impertencia(?) person". I’m not sure what this means], so then they come out smiling and say, “There’s no chicken”. What about all the elderly people? And what do my children eat? Nothing. I didn’t get anything, and I get roughed up in there because they mistreat us.
Cameraman: The government usually says that these lines are cause by the opposition, by paramilitaries. Is that true?
Woman in Orange: [Joined by crowd] No! That’s not true. There’s chavistas here, everyone is here. [Unintelligible yelling: “We’re the people!”]

Woman in Black and White: We’re all chavistas here, but take a look at what’s happening. We want this to be fixed, and we want it fixed now, please.

Woman in White Cap: We’re tired. The police officers and the relatives of the Bicentenario [workers] take everything! They bribe them. We’re fed up! We’ve got families!

Woman in Orange: How is it possible for the chicken to arrive at 11:00 AM, and at 1:00 PM it’s sold out? Because they take it all over through, through the other door.

Woman in Yellow and White Stripes: We hope all of this gets out, because we cant this all to be fixed. We don’t want to live this life anymore.

Elderly Woman in Purple: [unintelligible. Sounds like, “They want to take everything…”] so they can sell it in restaurants. The chickens, they want to get them all so they can sell them in restaurants.

Woman in Blue: [And Maduro], he’s lying to the people saying that there’s food. There’s no food.

Woman in Orange: Here, in the Palo Verde Bicentenario, they’re mocking us… this is an insult.

Woman in Black and White: We want change! We want change here.

[Off-Screen]: We want food. This can’t be fixed by the opposition or the chavistas… we want answers.

Woman in Black and White Tank Top: This didn’t used to be like this. This wasn’t like this. Now it’s worse than ever. And they [the government] say, “We have [food] containers!” Where are they?

Woman in Purple and Black Sweater: We lived better during the Fourth Republic [before Chavez came to power] because we had food.

Cameraman: What did you buy today, my friend?
Man in Black and Red Cap: Two [bags] of coffee and [children’s fortified nutritional beverage].
Woman in Orange: That’s all there is. Show it. And tomorrow, when you come to buy this, there won’t be any left because they’ve taken it all.

Woman in Yellow: The people are hungry. It’s time for a solution. Please fix this now.

Woman in Yellow and White Stripes: There’s no chicken. So what can we give our children? There’s no milk, no sugar. Where’s the food? They [the government] say the people have food. Where is it? The opposition isn’t paying [me to say this?]. The government is to blame for how things are. We’ve had enough. Two, five in the morning out on the street, so we can get killed and robbed? That can’t be. We need a solution for this. This is enough. We’re tired. We buy a little dove [meaning, a really small chicken], and how many days should that last us? We can’t. We can’t with what they’re giving us. This is enough — it’s 1:00 PM [and we’ve been here] since 3:00 AM. This isn’t fair. This is humiliating.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I know very little about economics, but why hasn't the government implemented a rationing system to try and deal with at least some of this?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Kavak posted:

I know very little about economics, but why hasn't the government implemented a rationing system to try and deal with at least some of this?

They have. There are at least two official rationing systems active at the moment, and "unofficial" ones that we can lump together for the purposes of this post.

The official rationing systems are 1) shopping by ID number, and 2) rationing via fingerprint scanners. The first system allows you to shop for groceries at state-owned supermarkets only on certain days of the week depending on the last digit of your national ID number. For example, if your ID ends in a number between 1-5, you can only shop on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. IDs ending in 6-0 can shop on only Tuesday, Thursdays and Sundays. On Fridays, everyone can shop. (The actual division of days/ID numbers isn't quite like this, but you get the picture. The second system requires that you scan your fingerprint at the cash register. Everyone is allowed X amount of Y good per week. If you scan your fingerprint and you're on your third bag of corn flour for the week, but you're only allowed two, the sale is blocked.

What I've called "unofficial" rationing systems are those that have not been instituted by the government, but rather by individual establishments. Lots of private businesses will have signs informing customers that they're limited to only X amount of toilet paper per shopper, etc.

Rationing doesn't solve the underlying problem, which is that Venezuela isn't importing enough to feed itself. Venezuela produces very little, which is a separate but related issue. All the rationing in the world isn't going to stop the scarcity if there's nothing making it to the supermarkets in the first place.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Chuck Boone posted:

"yo soy una persona impertinencia" ["I am an impertencia(?) person". I’m not sure what this means]
She follows up talking about the elderly so she probably means 'hipertensa' as in she has high blood pressure and has to follow a strict diet.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 29, 2015

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chuck Boone posted:

Venezuela produces very little, which is a separate but related issue.

This is so sad considering Venezuela has inmense natural riches. We really put all the eggs in the oil basket, but we could have a very decent mining industry for instance, or a Livestock industry. Not to mention tourism: Venezuela is gorgeous outside its cities.

Another "rationing system" works on loyalty to the costumers. People in the local corner stores (called abastos, or bodegas) tend to save a bit of their products for the neighbors. There's a new resentment building up against resellers (bachaqueros) and 'outsiders' from the neighborhood that get to the local markets early in the morning and leave them empty.

For instance my mom used to buy around 60% of her food in the local bodega and they save sugar and coffee for her.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Kavak posted:

On top of what Chuck commented, there's also the fact that with the National Assembly elections a little over a month away they naturally don't want to rock the boat too much. Establishing a new system that could be perceived as rationing right now would piss off more people and they can't afford to lose a single vote as is.

Plus, there's been lots of "rationing" systems implemented so far and none of them have succeeded in achieving anything except fostering outrage. Chuck mentioned "unofficial" rationing systems, an example of this would be my local farmacy not selling diapers unless you show up with a birth certificate (thereby proving you're not just buying them for reselling purposes) or birth control pills without a prescription. Both of those are real examples.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 29, 2015

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
I was reading in FT that Venezuela is precipitously low and may run out of funds by Q1 2016. Losing the upcoming election might be desirable right now.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

JohnGalt posted:

I was reading in FT that Venezuela is precipitously low and may run out of funds by Q1 2016. Losing the upcoming election might be desirable right now.

Yes, Venezuela is cutting it close. They've got debt commitments worth $15.6 billion due before the end of next year, but only $15.8 billion in foreign reserves. It had $43 billion in 2008.

It does seem like losing the National Assembly in December might serve the PSUV, because if things go (further) south next year they might be able to blame the opposition for it. But then again, they blame the opposition for the way things are today, so it might not make a big difference.

Also, Maduro has been making these not-so-veiled threats recently that the PSUV needs to win the election "by any means" and that the PSUV would never "hand over the revolution" if they lost in December. If the opposition does win, it could force Maduro to double-down on his executive powers/influence in order to make it seem like he, as El Hijo de Chavez, is still in full control of the Comandante's legacy.

He must be looking forward to the 2018 presidential election. Any sign of weakness might give other players (Diosdado Cabello) ideas.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Mozi posted:

Nobody has posted about this?

Venezuelan Prosecutor Says Opposition Leader’s Trial Was a Farce

Glad that he made it out of the country OK, and hopefully there are many beans left to spill. Not that it wasn't obvious that the outcome of the trial was politically decided but it's good to hear it stated so bluntly by someone who knew the best.

It looks like he's getting paid off to say this stuff
http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11622

quote:

Caracas, October 27th 2015 (venezuelanalysis.com) - Venezuela’s Attorney General, Luisa Ortega Diaz, has responded to a video released by Franklin Nieves last week, in which the former public prosecutor accuses the national public prosecution of mounting a “show trial” against jailed right-wing politician Leopoldo Lopez.

Lopez was found guilty of inciting public violence last month following a high profile trial in which Nieves acted as one of the lead prosecutors. A sentence of 13 years and nine months in prison was handed down to Lopez, who was at the forefront of the violent street mobilisations known as the “guarimbas” which sought to bring down the government in 2014 and led to 43 deaths.

Last Friday, Nieves made headlines when he circulated a video revealing that he had left the country, accusing Venezuela’s public prosecution of having rigged the case against Lopez.

“I decided to leave Venezuela with my family due to the immense pressure from the national executive and from my superiors to defend the false evidence with which they condemned Leopoldo Lopez,” he states.

In the home-made video, in which a somewhat nervous Nieves appears in front of a white wall, the lawyer claims to have suffered sleep deprivation and depression during the trial, which lasted for a year and eight months, principally due to stalling tactics from Lopez’s legal team.

However Nieves now states that the trial was “unfair” and calls on “fellow judges and prosecutors to tell the truth”. He reports to have been threatened with dismissal and jail time by his supervisors, before promising to reveal the “truth” behind “everything that happened… before, during and after the trial”.

Nonetheless, the former public attorney appeared frugal with specific details on Monday when he was interviewed by NTN24 for the first time since his video hit the international news.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Nieves is currently in Miami with his family where they are officially seeking asylum. He has also asked for public forgiveness from Leopoldo Lopez and his family.

International Pressure

Although no official reaction to Nieves’ claims emerged over the weekend, on Monday Venezuela’s chief prosecutor Luisa Ortega Diaz moved to refute the video’s content in an exclusive interview with Venevision, citing several inconsistencies in Nieves’ declarations.

In particular, Ortega pointed out that Nieves had played a leading role in the trial and had initially acted independently to solicit Lopez’s arrest warrant. She said the official, who is reported to have worked for the institute for over 20 years, had violated the oath required of all public attorneys to uphold the legal system and the country’s constitution. She also confirmed that he had been dismissed for abandoning his post.

“He never denounced any irregularity throughout the investigation… an authentic and full act of conscience has to be carried out in the moment…during that year and eight months is when he had to come forward with this”.

Ortega also dismissed the accusations surrounding “false evidence,” making reference to the fact that all evidence used in the case was available to the public- mostly tweets from Lopez’s twitter account or televised statements- which were analysed by semiotics experts.

“Everything he says is very general, he doesn’t say anything concrete except something about false evidence, without even saying what that might be. It sounds like something out of a soap opera- “next will come the bit when I reveal all!”. I don’t understand why he didn’t explain everything straight away… Why didn’t he ask to be relieved of the case, or resign?”

The head of Venezuela’s public prosecution also described the attorney’s sudden confession as “set up” and accused him of having succumbed to “international and domestic interests”.

While international media sources such as the BBC have been quick to report that Nieves “fled” Venezuela, Ortega drew attention to the fact that he had left via the “main airport in the country”.

“He couldn’t have left if he was being persecuted… and he then goes to a foreign context to denounce undue process, which he didn’t argue here… We have to see what is behind all this because there are evidently things which aren’t clear,” commented the attorney general

But Ortega isn’t the only person to call foul play. Several opposition figures and websites have ventured the thesis that the state prosecutor’s sudden public outburst could be attributed to the work of the US, and a question mark still hangs over how Nieves was able to leave the country for the US at short notice, without significant financial support or diplomatic guarantees.

The staunch US based anti-government opposition activist, Patricia Andrade, from Venezuela Awareness, also bolstered speculation following the emergence of the video in a string of tweets. She accuses Nieves of having been “sponsored to go to the US”.

“That fecal matter, Franklin Nieves, like all thieves, are cowards, they can’t take prison. They prefer the ca$$$$$$$$”.

“Who knows who sorted it out for him to come to the US, it makes me sick!”

For his part, US State Department spokesperson John Kirby expressed his concern Monday for the “pressures” on Nieves and urged Venezuela to “respect due process” and “release all political prisoners, including Leopoldo Lopez,” reports EFE.

The case against the wealthy, Harvard-educated Lopez was one of the most high profile legal cases in Venezuelan history, and the verdict was greeted by Venezuelan social movements as a triumph of justice over some of the most entrenched political and economic interests in the country.

The attorneys presenting the case are alleged to have received threats to their personal security , including in tweets published by “AnonymusWar,” which called on its 104,000 followers to find out where Nieves lived.

In response to the controversial video, the political opposition has called for Lopez’s trial to be annulled and his sentence overturned.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Nieves has been talking a lot over the past few days, granting interviews to several media outlets over the last few days. Just today El Nacional posted an interview with him, some of which I've translated below:

quote:

What exactly was it that you considered to be the last straw that made you leave the country and speak out against the Leopoldo Lopez trial?

When Leopoldo Lopez was sentenced, I thought that judge Susana Barreiros would move away from our accusations of associating to commit a crime, public instigation, damaging property and arson. But she accepted all of those crimes. Of course, she was also being watched by SEBIN agents and by all of the security forces that were around the Palace of Justice. If she had ruled any other way, we would have all been arrested.

How did the entire Public Ministry and the entire CICPC [investigative police body] get together to commit this supposed fraud?

By forcing all of the Public Ministry's security officers to testify that when Lopez left the protest on February 12, the attack against the Public Ministry began. But this is completely false, as the videos show: of course, the videos that we disqualified as evidence that the defense wanted to introduce. He [Lopez] made a call for calm and for people to not fall into provocations and leave peacefully. The aggression started after 4:00 PM, and Leopoldo was far away from there at that time. In fact, a SEBIN agent told me that they had infiltrated the crowd, and that they were the ones who started to throw rocks at the Public Ministry building to motivate people to do the same.

(...)

How were witnesses manipulated?

All of the Public Ministry's security staff were interviewed in the Common Crimes Directorate before Captain Diego Verde, the Director of Transport and Security. They had to say what [we told them to say]. One of them had already narrated some events, and then sort of modified them so that not all the statements would be identical, and what mattered was: "Leopoldo incited the violence", "It all started when Leopoldo left". And that's what we set up, under the instructions of Nelson Mejias and under pressure from the direct bosses of each one of the staff who made a statement.

How were the CICPC witnesses manipulated?

The same way. The CICPC witnesses were called to the 2nd National Public Attorney's office, and to the 47th -- which belongs to Juan Canelon -- which began the investigation against the students. The statements were taken there, and many officers stated that they hadn't been on duty that day, but since their names appeared on the apprehension order that was written up in the Anti-Theft Division, they had to make statements. 56 officers showed up, many of whom had not been there and others who had not arrested anyone, but they were forced to make statements that they had in fact participated, under threats by Narda Sabrina [another prosecutor in the trial] that if they didn't there would be investigations opened against them and they would be dismissed.

(...)

Did you and Narda Sanabria at any point reflect on the crimes you were both committing?

We always talked about the irregularities that were being committed, but remember that she is the wife of the Director General of Judicial Procedure, Jesus Eduardo Peña Ronaldo. She of all people was going to follow instructions, and she will continue to do so.

(..)

Was the Crime Unit [Unidad Criminalistica] also involved in the fraud?
No. They played their role in an objective manner. But when it was time to testify either in court or before the public, we invited them to the Public Ministry and we told them to stress that there had been a fire, and that there were accelerants and hydrocarbons. All of those instructions were given in the Public Ministry by Narda, and had been previously drawn up by Nelson Mejias.

How involved was Attorney General Luisa Ortega Diaz?

She had knowledge of everything that was going on.

Did she give precise instructions?

No. The instructions came from Nelson Mejias. I never spoke with Luisa about this case. But, from her computer or any in her office, she could log on to mine and see all the work that was being done.

(...)

Why have you said that the instructions to commit the fraud came from President Nicolas Maduro and from the President of the National Assembly, Diosado Cabello? Did you have direct contact with either one of them?

No, but on February 12 when they sent me to the SEBIN [headquarters] after coming back from Tachira, SEBIN Director Manuel Bernal told me that we had to get arrest warrants for Lopez, Fernando Gerbasi, Mario Ivan Carrtu and Carlos Vecchio by order of Number 1; that is to say, Nicolas Maduro, and that the President wanted them arrested that same day.

You've said that Cabello had a more direct role in the case, Why?

Yes, because he was the one who manipulated Lopez's family so that he would hand himself over and in that way be taken out of the political game. He went to get him at the Plaza Jose Marti when he handed himself over, he took him to the tribunals, and he gave orders to Maria Alejandra Poleo - prosecutorial coordinator at the intermediate and trial stage - and to Maria Castro, who worked in that same office, so that they could draw up the police order alongside General of the National guard Antonio Benavides.

(...)

Was Judge Susana Barreiros aware of this fraud?

No. I don't think so. However, she was also receiving instructions to sentence Leopoldo with whatever evidence that came from the Public Ministry.

Was she aware of the steps you were taken?

No. I don't think so.

Who gave instructions to Susana Barreiros?

Daniel Ramirez.

Who is he?

He's the assistant to Deyanira Nieves, who was the president of the Hall of Penal Trials at the Supreme Court [Sala de Casacion Penal del Tribunal Supremo de Justicia].

And how involved was Deyanira Nieves? Could there have been a connection between the Public Ministry, the Supreme Court and the Executive to sentence Leopoldo Lopez?

I don't know. I don't know of one.

(...)

Would you be willing to collaborate with Lopez's defense to put your statements under judicial scrutiny?

No, not with Lopez's defense. Because they would say that [Lopez's defense] is paying me.

Some people both inside and outside the country have voiced their opposition to you receiving asylum [in the U.S.] because you've admitted to committing human rights abuses. How will you handle that situation?

I'm not denying my responsibility over Leopoldo Lopez's detention and the set-up that took place. In fact, I'm facing it. Let's see what kind of cooperation I can take on with North American authorities.

Of course, the Public Ministry and Diosdado Cabello have come out swinging, calling Nieves every name under the sun and suggesting that he's been paid off by the usual suspects. There's (surprise) no evidence of that. Here's Diosdado Cabello presenting evidence the Nieves was paid $850,000 to leave the country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVpu0Fdv-o

quote:

This gentleman had the opportunity to say these things in Venezuela. I got a letter from someone, they said $850,000 are in an account that this gentleman has (...) This gentleman — what a thing! He was a prosecutor, but he didn’t say anything. He went to the United States, and now he’s a hero of the opposition (…) everyone who goes to the United States to gossip about Venezuela is a hero of the opposition (…) and just so you can see how the institutions work here, he [Nieves] was never persecuted even though he belongs to the opposition.

A sheet of paper you say came from "someone" who says that "$850,000 are in an account that this gentleman has". This is evidence that Nieves got paid off. Got it.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Chuck Boone posted:

A sheet of paper you say came from "someone" who says that "$850,000 are in an account that this gentleman has". This is evidence that Nieves got paid off. Got it.

Except the right wing opposition is also saying he got paid off, the whole thing smells fishy either way.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Except the right wing opposition is also saying he got paid off, the whole thing smells fishy either way.

Who is the "right-wing opposition"? Everyone who doesn't support the PSUV? Am I the "right-wing opposition"? Do you honestly believe that "the right-wing opposition" is a monolithic group? Do you think Maria Corina Machado, Alvaro Uribe, the Spanish government, the CIA et al. got together and all agreed that "something smells fishy about this Nieves guy"? U.S.-based Venezuelan groups are against Nieves because they see him as a human rights violator who doesn't deserve asylum, which is a completely different discussion independent of whether or not he's telling the truth. Don't you wonder why the government doesn't attack the merit of his statements, but rather attacks him directly?

What exactly "smells fishy" about this, other than the fact that it undermines the validity of a reality you refuse to question?

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Chuck Boone posted:

What exactly "smells fishy" about this, other than the fact that it undermines the validity of a reality you refuse to question?

The fact that he was completely fine with the whole trial and it's proceedings, then once the U.S. cries about their asset going to jail, now all of sudden he's in Miami and calling for sanctions on the Venezuelan people, kind of a quick turn around don't you think?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Borneo Jimmy posted:

... kind of a quick turn around don't you think?

No, not at all. Nieves said he was not "completely fine" with the trial and its proceedings, and he's speaking out against it, isn't he? He had good reason to go along with it at the time (fear of incarceration, fear for his/his family's safety, etc.) I won't address the rest of your post because it's absurd.

Read his testimony. Sleep on it. Think on it. Make up your own mind about this, Jimmy. Don't let Venezuelanalysis tell you what to think, buddy.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Chuck Boone posted:

No, not at all. Nieves said he was not "completely fine" with the trial and its proceedings, and he's speaking out against it, isn't he? He had good reason to go along with it at the time (fear of incarceration, fear for his/his family's safety, etc.) I won't address the rest of your post because it's absurd.

Read his testimony. Sleep on it. Think on it. Make up your own mind about this, Jimmy. Don't let Venezuelanalysis tell you what to think, buddy.

Given that human rights organizations in Venezuela and representatives of the victims of right wing violence have applauded the verdict in the Lopez trial, I've already made up my mind, thanks. I think that holding wealthy demagogues responsible for their violent, racist rhetoric is something that people should applaud. Given the deaths he's responsible for, Lopez got off light.

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 2, 2015

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
He's either the most half-assed troll in forums history or the dumbest poster, just ignore his posts.

Victims of Right Wing Violence lmao

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

YodaTFK posted:

Victims of Right Wing Violence lmao
Its real, sorry to burst your sociopathic bubble
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Guarimba-Victims-Spread-Message-of-Nonviolence-in-Ecuador-20150630-0030.html

quote:

German Carrero was delivering medical supplies when a bomb detonated and ripped his hand off in 2014. Ever since right-wing protesters set off the bomb during the violent protests that took place in Venezuela last year, he has been determined to spread a message of nonviolence around the world, coming to Ecuador with other victims of violence to present his case.

“We want there to be justice, and that our human rights are respected. We are the real victims. There are 43 dead and 888 injured. People really did pay for this, they lost their children, mothers, brothers, and parts of their body,” said Carrero, a member of the Committee of the Guarimba Victims, to teleSUR.

Guarimbas, the Venezuelan term for the violent protests and barricades erected by right-wing opposition groups, were responsible for the death of 43 people in the South American country last year.

The Committee of Guarimba Victims held a private meeting with Secretary General of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) Ernesto Samper at the regional body headquarters in Quito, Ecuador’s capital.

Following the meeting, Samper said that UNASUR is in solidarity with their cause, and that the organization will work to protect democracy in the face of right-wing violence seeking to destabilize elected governments.

"Disagreements are legitimate, but violent disagreements are not,” Samper told teleSUR, “(The Committee of Guarimba Victims) have testimonies that are worth listening to, to have a balanced view of what is happening in Venezuela.”

Yandry Velazquez, a member of the committee, said she hopes that people learn from their cases as destabilization attempts against progressive governments are happening regionally.

“We want them to see who are the real victims. To bring our cases to the forefront. And use our example, so that no other Latin American country, and in this case Ecuador, is taken by violence, by baseless hatred, and that what happened to us happens to them,” said Velazquez following the meeting with Samper.

As opposition marches rage on in Ecuador, some of which are backed by right-wing politicians, who are calling for a change of government and elimination of wealth redistribution bills, members of the Committee of Guarimba Victims are sharing their stories in conferences and forums, spreading awareness and encouraging citizens to engage in nonviolent practices.​

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Oh the violence is certainly real. It's the right wing part most people would question. Well, except you.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

YodaTFK posted:

Oh the violence is certainly real. It's the right wing part most people would question. Well, except you.

So are you saying these victim's groups are lying?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Ever notice how there's no "Victims of State Violence" groups? Well, there might be - but they're also the "right wing opposition" and are by definition wrong on everything.

Here's a video of US-bought right-winger Marvinia Jimenez getting beaten by the People's Guard during a protest in La Isabelica in February 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkIL5AFztw
Here's another video made from stills taken from another angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45eRjmeQ10s

As of February of this year the case against her attackers had made exactly 0% progress.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Chuck Boone posted:

Ever notice how there's no "Victims of State Violence" groups?

Well it's a small minority compared to the hundreds of Chavistas assassinated by right wing paramilitaries.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
So how bad is the impending humanitarian crisis going to be if the government cannot import food?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It's arguably fairly bad already. The head of the Colegio de Nutricionistas de Venezuela [College of Venezuelan Nutritionists] said earlier this week that the full effects of the scarcity the country is suffering from today have yet to be seen, since children growing up in the country today are likely going to be particularly affected by malnutrition. Remember that it's the most basic necessities - milk, eggs, flour, etc. - that are the most scarce. The most obvious effect of this is that people shift from eating what they should to eating what they can find.

The million dollar question is, "Will there come a day when nothing comes into the country?". The body responsible for assignment foreign currency (CENCOEX) has handed out 60% fewer dollars this year than they did during the same period in 2014. While CENCOEX handed out $79.2 million per day last year to private businesses (importers included), this year they're averaging $43.9 million per day.

Given the fact that the government's answer to these problems is to do the things that are causing them even more, it's not looking pretty at all.

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe

JohnGalt posted:

So how bad is the impending humanitarian crisis going to be if the government cannot import food?

The evil capitalist U.S. will give them food, just like we kept the Soviet population from starving for decades. There won't be mass starvation but hopefully there will be a popular uprising resulting in the death of all communists.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
http://m.eluniversal.com/nacional-y-politica/151029/defense-minister-confirms-that-venezuela-will-buy-12-sukhoi-aircraft

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Kavak posted:

Basically Venezuela is in a crisis of its own making and there is absolutely no way out that is acceptable to the PSUV.

First they used price controls to drive down the price of staples. All well and good, but there are consequences. They've driven the price down far enough that some local suppliers were unable to produce profitably at that price. They went out of business. In an open market this would raise the price and reduce the demand, and eventually things would balance out. However, because of the price ceiling, there is more demand than supply. To meet this demand, when oil prices were high the government imported what it needed and paid for it out of oil revenue. This works as long as you have the money, but once you don't, or start to have to seriously prioritize you're going to start having shortages.

Then they've doubled down, accusing local producers of hoarding or price fixing and forcing producers to produce and sell at a loss. This is bankrupting those companies and they're going out of business, contributing to more shortages. This also has had the side effect of companies cannibalizing capital investment to try and keep the doors open, contributing to a long term decline in productivity, and making it even harder to produce at the dictated prices. Essentially the long term effect of the price controls is to gut local production and make Venezuela dependent of imports it not longer can afford. They can't ration effectively because there is nothing to ration.

Effectively the only way out of this mess is to drop the price controls entirely. It sucks for the poor people, and provisions should be made to help them out, but until the market is pulled back into equilibrium shortages will continue. Of course there is a second option, full nationalization of all means of production and rigid rationing. It can work for a while, but I wouldn't trust the PSUV to actually accomplish it, or manage the economy after.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And subsidizing the money lost with each price-controlled product isn't an option anymore because there's no money to begin with.

How did Venezuela mismanage their way into having to import so much of their food and what's stopping them from climbing out of it (Besides the whole lack of money)?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kavak posted:

And subsidizing the money lost with each price-controlled product isn't an option anymore because there's no money to begin with.

How did Venezuela mismanage their way into having to import so much of their food and what's stopping them from climbing out of it (Besides the whole lack of money)?

Venezuela mismanaged it's way into such a mess because for a long period of time, people who prioritize ideology over objective reality have held power. You can see their mindset by examining the posts of Borneo Jimmy.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
What is the endgame in Venezuela? Reading through the thread, it seems like any problems will be blamed on somebody else (foreign or local). Since they are unable to do anything but yet maintain their stranglehold on the country, what will happen as things worsen?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Kavak posted:

The short of it is that Chavez started expropriating businesses in the early 2000s for pretty much any reason he wanted. This included businesses that produced and imported food stuffs. He also expropriated privately-owned land.

Here's a video of Chavez expropriating stuff in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjvJAfIMSI

quote:

Chavez: [Pointing] What's that building over there? That's an old theater, right? But that's in government hands, right? And that building?
Man [off-screen]: That's a building that has a privately-owned jewelry.
Chavez: Expropriate it.
Man [off-screen]: Ok.
Chavez: [Pointing] And that building over there, on the corner?
Man [off-screen]: That's another building that has stores.
Chavez: Well, look. Jacqueline was telling me that [Simon] Bolivar used to live in that little house over there when he was just married. That little house there with the two balconies. And now there's some businesses there. Expropriate it.
Man [off-screen]: Of course, my President.
Chavez: What's that building over there?
Man [off-screen]: That's another building with privately-owned businesses.
Chavez: Expropriate it, Mr. Mayor. Expropriate it. We have to turn this into -- hi Jorge [Rodriguez], how are you? We have to turn this into a great historic center. It already is, but we have to retake it [and carry out] an architectural and historic project -- well, this is the heart of Caracas. Caracas, rebellious Caracas. How are you doing?

As you can imagine, all of that expropriated productive land/business fell into the hands of the very same monumentally inept and corrupt people running the country today, which is part of the reason why Venezuela lost her ability to produce.

Polar is the last remnant of a productive Venezuela, which is why people get nervous whenever it looks like the government is going to move against it or its head, Lorenzo Mendoza.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

What is the endgame in Venezuela? Reading through the thread, it seems like any problems will be blamed on somebody else (foreign or local). Since they are unable to do anything but yet maintain their stranglehold on the country, what will happen as things worsen?

There is no endgame that ends well for Venezuela. Either the price controls need to go or the government needs to nationalize all food production and somehow run them far more efficiently then they've ever been run before.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
they will face a hard currency crisis, that is to say, they will run out of foreign-currency-denominated state savings (foreign reserves) with which to buy stuff. Then, well, it's hard to say. Violent reaction to the withdrawal of the oil subsidies is what introduced Chavism to begin with, and the oil subsidies occupies a huge share of the budget.

It's important to appreciate what running down foreign reserves means, here. It means: if the account is to abruptly balance, someone has to get less imports. "Let's nationalize everything" is magical thinking. You cannot nationalize stuff that you want to buy from another country's jurisdiction.

I continue to underscore that mass expropriation by a regime enmeshed in a violent socialist, anti-imperialist politics is not automatically linked to dysfunction. You can find it in, e.g., the economic policy record of Chiang Kai-Shek in Taiwan. Expropriation is a one-off thing. Attempting to sustain a deeply divergent exchange rate is not. If Latin America goes in circles, it is because it oscillates between expropriations and counter-expropriations, in a deep conviction by alternating sets of victors that this is what matters for long-term prosperity, when it is not.

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Related to all this, once you account for inflation, isn't oil pretty close to all time lows, or at least all time since oil went from "trash liquid that bubbles out in weird places" to "major natural resource"? And hasn't stayed at near all time low levels for a sustained period?

All else being equal, and considering their population, Venezuela was still going to be in quite the squeeze at this point regardless.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ronya posted:

I continue to underscore that mass expropriation by a regime enmeshed in a violent socialist, anti-imperialist politics is not automatically linked to dysfunction. You can find it in, e.g., the economic policy record of Chiang Kai-Shek in Taiwan.

Would you, perhaps, say that it is sometimes appropriate to unleash Chang?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Gorau posted:

There is no endgame that ends well for Venezuela. Either the price controls need to go or the government needs to nationalize all food production and somehow run them far more efficiently then they've ever been run before.

ronya posted:

they will face a hard currency crisis, that is to say, they will run out of foreign-currency-denominated state savings (foreign reserves) with which to buy stuff. Then, well, it's hard to say. Violent reaction to the withdrawal of the oil subsidies is what introduced Chavism to begin with, and the oil subsidies occupies a huge share of the budget.

It's important to appreciate what running down foreign reserves means, here. It means: if the account is to abruptly balance, someone has to get less imports. "Let's nationalize everything" is magical thinking. You cannot nationalize stuff that you want to buy from another country's jurisdiction.

I continue to underscore that mass expropriation by a regime enmeshed in a violent socialist, anti-imperialist politics is not automatically linked to dysfunction. You can find it in, e.g., the economic policy record of Chiang Kai-Shek in Taiwan. Expropriation is a one-off thing. Attempting to sustain a deeply divergent exchange rate is not. If Latin America goes in circles, it is because it oscillates between expropriations and counter-expropriations, in a deep conviction by alternating sets of victors that this is what matters for long-term prosperity, when it is not.

So the country is well and thoroughly hosed, then. How far do you believe the ruling party is willing to go to hold onto power as the country descends into madness? Is some sort of violent uprising/re-revolution possible, or will the country just crumble as nobody is capable or willing to fix it?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Logikv9 posted:

So the country is well and thoroughly hosed, then. How far do you believe the ruling party is willing to go to hold onto power as the country descends into madness? Is some sort of violent uprising/re-revolution possible, or will the country just crumble as nobody is capable or willing to fix it?

Granted, this opinion is coming from an outsider, but it feels like it's probably the latter. My understanding based on the fiscal and political situation is that there's basically no way out that anyone will accept. Even if the PSUV was out, there's no politically acceptable solution to solve Venezuela's money problems without basically relegating the poor to be as bad off as they were before Chavez, and, surprise, surprise, it's probably going to be very difficult to push anything like that through. I expect that either Venezuela turns into an authoritarian hellhole where either the current elites stay in power at the expense of the populous, or government basically collapses entirely under the Scylla and Charybdis that are popular political demands and an inability to get sufficient hard currency to meet any of those demands in an equitable manner, effectively turning Venezuela into a failed state.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Venezuela is well on it's way to becoming the second North Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

-Troika- posted:

Venezuela is well on it's way to becoming the second North Korea.

I've made the comparison a few times. Obviously it isn't nowhere as bad, and Maduro basically ruined the cult of Chavismo by being extremely inept and uncharismatic, but there are some very clear similarities in how they try to present themselves and shift the blame on to foreign evil enemies.

Thankfully, Venezuela is already part of the information age and free speech through the internet is really hard to control. I doubt we will ever reach a state of craziness as that of N. Korea, not that our situation isn't extremely dire.

Had Chavez appointed a charismatic leader as his successor, I would've been a thousand times more worried. But I doubt he allowed people like that in his inner circle, that's possible future competition!