Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

The Abomination will go live for all our players in November, alongside two new backer-designed enemies – the Madman, and the Collector!

I guess if you throw enough money at a game to get to design a class you might as well go bonkers with it.

For some reason the name Collectror summons into my mind the image of a criminal mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wafflecopper posted:

No actually it gives you an incentive to use front-liners other than leper and strategies other than "smash in the front guy's head until a new guy is in front, repeat."

Or if you don't want to actually you know... think, you can just turn them off.

There's inequality though. YOU don't leave corpses behind when you drop. THEY can' 'keep whacking you till your front line dies'. And you can't say 'they can't heal' because they're getting that, too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Corpses actually help the player about as much as they hurt, though. Some classes want targets right in front of them, but some classes love having corpses clogging up the front rows so they can carpet bomb the back ranks. And some classes don't particularly care.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree. While corpses make abilities like Blindfire worse, they made abilities like Plague grenade and abyssal artillery better.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

OK so the abomination seems pretty cool after all. I really liked this poster's idea too though

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hope the Abomination is just, like, a guy with a prosthetic limb and everyone's constantly all "This. UNHOLY fusion of man and MACHINE... how far will we go... how much will we sacrifice... for VICTORY??" and the whole time the Abomination is just saying "wow this place is messed up as hell and you guys are all loving nuts, I lost this limb in a farming accident you idiots"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Anatharon posted:

Okay so I'm late to the party here I'm sure but corpses are one of the dumbest mechanics in a game, ever.

From a gameplay perspective they just add pointless busy work. From a story one, they're even worse. So the fanatic cultist/crazed pig monster/soulless undead/whatever sees my Crusader smash their frontliner's head in and immediately responds with "Oh geeze, better not."?

The effect of corpses has been that you have to pack a diverse loadout of skills to target all positions instead, which is cool and good.

The combat in this game isn't the deepest but corpses added a ton of depth. In the bad old days before corpses, combat was pretty much "smash the front enemy until it's dead, and also spam AOE sometimes." When you got those backline enemies to the front via grinding down their buddies, they were useless and you could laugh at them. It was singularly boring. Also, corpses don't add pointless busywork; generally you're not actually supposed to be bashing on them.

You're in luck though, the whiny pisspots who play this game had a tantrum until Red Hook caved and now you can turn them off.

Bloodly posted:

There's inequality though. YOU don't leave corpses behind when you drop. THEY can' 'keep whacking you till your front line dies'. And you can't say 'they can't heal' because they're getting that, too.

agree with this, it is absolute bullshit that heroes don't leave corpses.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 31, 2015

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Reminds me of a dungeon run I had yesterday. 3 of my heroes died of heart attacks and my remaining Arbalest had no front row attacks to kill the last enemy. I managed to flee and still finished the mission. Good stuff.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ive played like 15 hrs since the heart attack mechanic was implemented and i havent lost a single guy to it. i dont know if this means im good at stress management or just really lucky.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I haven't either, outside of that mission. It was a suicide no torch run for money with already stressed heroes and some bad luck with enemy types and crits. I also had a run where three of my heroes got a virtue roll, that was awesome.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

paranoid randroid posted:

ive played like 15 hrs since the heart attack mechanic was implemented and i havent lost a single guy to it. i dont know if this means im good at stress management or just really lucky.

If you have good crit, stress reducing skills, and encounter a few stress relieving curios it is unlikely to be a problem. In fact, with the way they scaled higher level dungeons heroes are more likely to just die in combat than in stress.

I'm also pretty sure higher levels give you natural stress resistance. And building virtue chance can help have some great comebacks in very crucial times.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I love that they added crit heals some time ago. Vestal and Occultist can bust out some really burst heals.

I keep hearing people that poo poo utility effects; they say heals are no replacement for just more damage. But the Vestal is obviously built to be a healer, and Arbalest's combat heal is obviously meant to be spammed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In the early game, how dangerous is it to go through a dungeon without torches? It's said that the rewards are greater ...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The rewards are greater and fights are more fun, but you wind up paying a lot of the increased rewards out in stress relief. Then you get jumped by a Shambler and the tears start to flow.

You should try it though, it's fun. Especially with an unequipped crew where you don't care if they live or die and don't mind firing them if they go crazy

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I love that they added crit heals some time ago. Vestal and Occultist can bust out some really burst heals.

I keep hearing people that poo poo utility effects; they say heals are no replacement for just more damage. But the Vestal is obviously built to be a healer, and Arbalest's combat heal is obviously meant to be spammed.

i love utility skills a whole huggy bunch and applaud any mechanical tweaks that move the game away from burst damage supremacy. the days of "four hellions with breakout" were grim ones indeed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

paranoid randroid posted:

Honestly you kind of have to try to lose someone to a heart attack. If you're careless you might get blindsided by someone rolling Abusive during a tough fight but that's a lesson you only need to learn once. Heart attacks are extremely avoidable by design, which makes it all the more hilarious when someone complains about them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I actually lost a Crusader to an heart attack. He was being abusive and I think we were fighting the Hag, and I watched his stress bar fill again and before dying he said something like
"I SHOULD HAVE YOU ALL OF EXECUTED! I SHOULD-"
and then he died. Frankly he was being so much of a dick to the poor Grave Robber that I did not feel all that bad.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

Why would you ever take an Arbalest or Vestal when you can have an Occultist?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I actually lost a Crusader to an heart attack. He was being abusive and I think we were fighting the Hag, and I watched his stress bar fill again and before dying he said something like
"I SHOULD HAVE YOU ALL OF EXECUTED! I SHOULD-"
and then he died. Frankly he was being so much of a dick to the poor Grave Robber that I did not feel all that bad.

thats loving hilarious.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The biggest threat is right at the start. You have few people and little control of what you've got to work with. An well-built up place will be fine and thinking it's easy. A new player-buyer is understandably going to be thinking and saying 'This is BULLSHIT'. And he will not be wrong at that time and place.

Now, sure the game hypes itself on being tough, and so anyone who takes the plunge may be a case of preaching to the choir. But the real fight is going to be for consistency both at the top end(Where people have billions, tricked out, etc) and low end(Just arrived, no resources, have to play as they're given, etc). I'm not convinced they're anywhere near there from what I've seen.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Consistency. For all the wonderful massive crit heals, you'll have 0s and 1s right when you need it the most. The question becomes 'do you want to roll the dice?'. Some do, some don't.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 31, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
why wouldnt you take an arbalest to pal around with your occultist? she makes his high rolling heals even better and he can mark up size 2 idiots for her to murder. their combined move skills can completely neuter enemies who are reliant on being in the front ranks.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I have lost two adventurers so far. One of those was Dismas eating a crit during the tutorial, and the other time I tried doing a boss run with an Occultist instead of a Vestal, which ended up costing me a good Grave Robber. The Vestal's group heal is huge once it's leveled up.

Occultist can go gently caress himself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Has anyone found a role for an Occultist in the second or first position? I want to get more use out of Hands of the Abyss but I don't know what else to give him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well his stab attack can wreck eldritch enemies pretty hard. put him in rank 2 so he can use his pull and give him one of the hexes to round out his kit and he might do ok as a kind of bounty hunter lite

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

Has anyone found a role for an Occultist in the second or first position? I want to get more use out of Hands of the Abyss but I don't know what else to give him.
Sacrificial Stab is a straightforward and boring attack, but it does get a 15% bonus to Eldritch, so could be useful in the Cove. Take that, Daemon's Pull, and Vulnerability Hex, preferably paired up with he Arbalest or another class that likes marked targets, and he's perfectly serviceable in the second row. There's really not much reason to have him up there though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I get what you're saying that he's clearly built more for a backrow role, but still, he has a perfectly serviceable stun attack that can hit anywhere and it seems such a waste to never use it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hard mode; take a Grave Robber or Highwayman and have them do their forward attacks and retreats (actually the Highwayman only has a retreat from the front spot option) to shuffle him in and out of the second from the front spot. If you can work out the timing, you'd theoretically be able to use his stun, then on the next round have him mark something from the back, then be back in position to stun again on round three.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Arbalest has better damage output, Vestal has better healing output (spam AOE heal whenever you have >2 people wounded, no matter what.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Vestal also has a stun that can hit any position, and that's grand.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I got tired of trying to remember specific curio combos ("Wait, did I need the antivenom for the tree, or the holy water...?"), and wasn't really enjoying that aspect of the game, so made myself a quick cheat sheet based on wiki info.

I know for a fact that some of the information on the wiki is at least partly wrong or out of date (e.g. you can sometimes get treasure along with a spare torch--it's not always *just* a torch), but this seemed a lot better than nothing.

Spoiled, for anyone who doesn't want to know:

Also, I've been having fun with a couple of party combinations lately:

1) Hellion, Hellion, Leper, Leper. The both do a lot of damage, they both self-heal. Needs some accuracy trinkets to really make the lepers shine. Mmmmmm...lepershine.

2) Occultist, Occultist, Man at Arms, Man at Arms. This one feels almost like cheating at times, with both MAAs constantly retaliating in addition to their regular attacks, and just keeping their health up with the occultists.

Edit: Corrected a couple of details in the image, and updated link.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 1, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

aas Bandit posted:

I got tired of trying to remember specific curio combos ("Wait, did I need the antivenom for the tree, or the holy water...?"), and wasn't really enjoying that aspect of the game, so made myself a quick cheat sheet based on wiki info.

I know for a fact that some of the information on the wiki is at least partly wrong or out of date (e.g. you can sometimes get treasure along with a spare torch--it's not always *just* a torch), but this seemed a lot better than nothing.

Spoiled, for anyone who doesn't want to know:

Also, I've been having fun with a couple of party combinations lately:

1) Hellion, Hellion, Leper, Leper. The both do a lot of damage, they both self-heal. Needs some accuracy trinkets to really make the lepers shine. Mmmmmm...lepershine.

2) Occultist, Occultist, Man at Arms, Man at Arms. This one feels almost like cheating at times, with both MAAs constantly retaliating in addition to their regular attacks, and just keeping their health up with the occultists.

Leper x2 and Plague Doctor x2 is called "The Black Plague" or something similar, and is a fun combo- Both Lepers can get a ton of move resist, keeping the Plague Docs safe in the back. You can be straightforward and go Hew x2 and Plague Grenade x2, or get fancy and use stuns and Revenge to womp on enemies. Lepers can also get Purge which has the advantage of clearing corpses.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As for Occultist vs Arbalest/Vestal,

Honestly Occultist has great synergy with a lot of other abilities and classes, and its not really an either/or thing.

Both have camping skills that boost speed. A great application of this is to boost the Occultist speed so he almost always goes first. Vs tough enemies and bosses, you can mark them then use Arbalest's Sniper shot to try to get a big crit before they can respond. Houndmaster and Bounty Hunter round out this combo well; The Occultist marks, and the other 3 get boosted damage on the marked target.

Vestals heal is a lot more reliable, and she gets the only AoE heal in the game. It's a lifesaver if you have multiple heroes on deaths door.

Arbalest's heal makes any other heal that much better. I find it helpful in conjunction with a HP tanked Leper using his self heal on top of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hellion has been heavily nerfed over the Beta and I find her current version unsatisfactory. What Red Hook really needs to do is give her a simple Rage mechanic-

At the start of the battle she starts with a stack of rage, and can store a max of 3 stacks. Breakthrough, Barbaric YAWP, and If it Bleeds consume a rage point. Adrenaline Rush, dealing or receiving crits add a rage point. Change Battle Trance, get rid of its existing buffs and have it cost 4 respite to have 2 rage at the beginning of each battle. Receiving a stun removes all rage stacks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They should do something similar for a lot of classes actually, i'd like that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aas Bandit posted:

In my experience all of the wiki interactions are correct, although I've not done all the obviously harmful ones. What do you get when using Holy Water on the occult scrawlings?

I think this list doesn't take into account the bonus loot for low light levels though, which is where you might be getting your "loot in a torch sconce" scenario from. I've found Very Rare trinkets jammed in there before, which is a bit odd.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Leper x2 and Plague Doctor x2 is called "The Black Plague" or something similar, and is a fun combo- Both Lepers can get a ton of move resist, keeping the Plague Docs safe in the back. You can be straightforward and go Hew x2 and Plague Grenade x2, or get fancy and use stuns and Revenge to womp on enemies. Lepers can also get Purge which has the advantage of clearing corpses.

Cool--that's a combo I've thought about trying--good to know that it works well. :)

Also, I need to do more with the Arbalest.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

In my experience all of the wiki interactions are correct, although I've not done all the obviously harmful ones. What do you get when using Holy Water on the occult scrawlings?

Ugh. When I went and looked at the holy water effect on the occult scrawlings, I realized that I had it as a positive, but it's similar to the torch/stack of books thing. Don't do that! Not sure what the specific in-game text/description is, but it's supposedly -20 dodge. I updated my list and changed the link in my post to the updated version.

I also realized, upon looking more closely, that messing with the stack of books is likely to be bad most of the time, so I changed the text to red and added a note to reflect that.
Panfilo, would you be willing to change your quote to link to the new image? Sorry. :(

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I think this list doesn't take into account the bonus loot for low light levels though, which is where you might be getting your "loot in a torch sconce" scenario from. I've found Very Rare trinkets jammed in there before, which is a bit odd.

I hadn't even thought about that, but that makes a lot of sense. What's listed in the wiki is probably some sort of default. Maybe full 100% light? Or maybe 75%?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You don't get loot bonuses until 25% light I believe. Then you get a further loot bonus at 0% light.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
So I haven't really played any since they released the MAA and the Arbalest, and I have to say I rather like some of the changes they've made. Houndmaster is fantastic and Grave Robber seems to have gotten solidly buffed (at least for tier one) which makes me rather happy, but it also feels like they nerfed the gently caress out of your chance at good Afflictions. I think I've had maybe one positive to the 15 or negatives.

Also, I don't remember the jump from lvl 1 to lvl 3 dungeons being so drat brutal, I think I ate a crit every round in the first two runs. Any good suggestions on handling the change to lvl 3?

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I faced the same problem after not having played since before the houndsmaster. What you need to do is simply upgrade your weapons, armor and skills. If you played mostly full light runs, like me, you probably don't have the resources to do so. Early dungeons are pretty easy with full light, so your guys level quickly, but not your town, because you get less loot. What I did was to recruit fresh guys and grind short dungeons with no torch. After a while I could upgrade my higher guys to 3/3 and better and things went much better for them. Also never do the Cove. It's so much more difficult than the basic dungeons and there isn't really a point because you get lots of crests in them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sicDaniel posted:

I faced the same problem after not having played since before the houndsmaster. What you need to do is simply upgrade your weapons, armor and skills. If you played mostly full light runs, like me, you probably don't have the resources to do so. Early dungeons are pretty easy with full light, so your guys level quickly, but not your town, because you get less loot. What I did was to recruit fresh guys and grind short dungeons with no torch. After a while I could upgrade my higher guys to 3/3 and better and things went much better for them. Also never do the Cove. It's so much more difficult than the basic dungeons and there isn't really a point because you get lots of crests in them as well.

They need to take this part of the game out, i firmly believe you should never have to grind in a game.