Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Who can help me troubleshoot a PSU?

I thought mine died yesterday because my PC wouldn't turn on. No fans, no LEDs, nothing. I took the PSU out of the case and shorted pins 15 & 16 on the 24 pin connector to trigger it to turn on and the fan spun up. I took my multimeter and started to test the voltages on each pin and found the 3.3V, 5V, and +/- 12V outputs all seemed fine, but some pins didn't have any voltages at all. I can't find the manual with the pin diagram to know whether this is normal or not.

It's an Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

BANME.sh posted:

Who can help me troubleshoot a PSU?

I thought mine died yesterday because my PC wouldn't turn on. No fans, no LEDs, nothing. I took the PSU out of the case and shorted pins 15 & 16 on the 24 pin connector to trigger it to turn on and the fan spun up. I took my multimeter and started to test the voltages on each pin and found the 3.3V, 5V, and +/- 12V outputs all seemed fine, but some pins didn't have any voltages at all. I can't find the manual with the pin diagram to know whether this is normal or not.

It's an Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
It's 10 years old, try with a different power supply. Your multimeter isn't going to tell you much other than whether it is attempting to power on at all, not whether it works.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 22, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know it's really old :(

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Quality control on the Enermax Liberty models wasn't even that great when they were new. Time to replace it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Hi thread. I'm building a house and want to have Ethernet drops everywhere I have a cable drop, and want an Ethernet patch panel in one of the closets.
  • Is this more common in home building now?
  • Would a commercial electrician be familiar with how to do this properly?
  • What are things to look out for?
  • What are ways I am likely to gently caress up communicating with the builder?
  • What kind of cables would I want? CAT 6e?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: Formatting.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 25, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Hi thread. I'm building a house and want to have Ethernet drops everywhere I have a cable drop, and want an Ethernet patch panel in one of the closets.

Is this more common in home building now?
  • Would a commercial electrician be familiar with how to do this properly?
  • What are things to look out for?
  • What are ways I am likely to gently caress up communicating with the builder?
  • What kind of cables would I want? CAT 6e?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If the electrician is properly licensed, they will have a low voltage license, which means they should know how to set up any keystone jacks. Most electricians will pull your wiring and tag it for you without hooking it up. However, call your local building inspector and find out if there are laws in your specific area. I know my area is too dumb to know what cat cabling is.

There are a lot of ways to gently caress up communicating with the builder. Staying on point and going to your house frequently (especially with pulling any communication cable) to make sure they're doing it right. I know a guy who was building a house and the builder kept getting what he was saying wrong (He was running phone and cat5 together, but having it terminate at different places, but the builder kept putting them in the same spot).

Cat6e should futureproof your house for quite a while.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

If the electrician is properly licensed, they will have a low voltage license, which means they should know how to set up any keystone jacks. Most electricians will pull your wiring and tag it for you without hooking it up. However, call your local building inspector and find out if there are laws in your specific area. I know my area is too dumb to know what cat cabling is.

There are a lot of ways to gently caress up communicating with the builder. Staying on point and going to your house frequently (especially with pulling any communication cable) to make sure they're doing it right. I know a guy who was building a house and the builder kept getting what he was saying wrong (He was running phone and cat5 together, but having it terminate at different places, but the builder kept putting them in the same spot).

Cat6e should futureproof your house for quite a while.

Thank you! I had thought that it was a separate certification, but its good to know a licensed electrician should have it.

What do you mean by they will pull the wiring and tag it but not hook it up? Do you mean they won't terminate the Cat6e connection into a wall jack?

I'm planning to put Ethernet jacks in the same location any cable port comes out, so that should keep things simpler. Basically, my plan is to eventually drop cable and landline phone and just go with 150Mbps internet via cable modem, and push Netflix, etc. to TVs via Ethernet. Wireless is great, but with 3 kids growing up the spectrum is going to get crowded, especially with neighbors.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Thank you! I had thought that it was a separate certification, but its good to know a licensed electrician should have it.

What do you mean by they will pull the wiring and tag it but not hook it up? Do you mean they won't terminate the Cat6e connection into a wall jack?

It depends on the electrician. If they have the low voltage license they should do it without a problem. Some electricians simply don't screw with it at all, at least in my experience, but they will pull cable. Talk to your electrician (or the electrician the contractor is using) to see if they'll pull, terminate, and tag cat6 cabling.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Quick clarification: there is no such thing as Cat6E, that was a fake standard a bunch of cable manufacturers made up hoping it would turn into a thing. You're looking for Cat6A, where the A stands for Augmented. Though Cat6 (no letters) should be good for up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet up to 55m. Cat7 is shielded so good for applications where you have radio frequency noise or need a mechanically stronger cable.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
When I was doing residential wiring we ran the cat cables (Cat5e I think?) to the locations and installed the mounts for the ethernet jacks, but we didn't actually finish them, there were separate low voltage guys to handle that. That seems like the minimum, there're enough concerns about routing that I wouldn't want to have to figure out how to run data after the fact with the power lines all nailed up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm just looking for the builder to wire the house, and have everything terminate at a single patch panel. ill take care of the router, wireless access points, etc. Theoretically the patch panel and router could be in a different location than the cable modem.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

cisco privilege posted:

Quality control on the Enermax Liberty models wasn't even that great when they were new. Time to replace it.

Just a followup. I bought a new PSU this weekend and everything works fine again.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm on the process of leaving my country for another European destination, but I never made a move this big and I got a big rear end desktop computer; what are some general concerns should I have? Do I unmount everything, shrink wrap everything and just use MRW or what?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Are you shipping the desktop via car/truck? If so I'd at least make sure that any harddrives were locked in place, and I'd remove any really big cards such as GPUs and ship them separately. If you have a large aftermarket CPU cooler you should remove it before shipping.

If this is a commercial shipping company you're using, I'd remove anything I could and ship them separately. Drives, cards, coolers, etc., take it all out of the box and ship it separately with antistatic bags and padding.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone got a recommendation on a USB 3.0 ethernet/usb hub combo device? I just got a Surface 3 with W10 on it and would look to hook it up sometimes and have the option to plug lots of things into it if need be.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

Are you shipping the desktop via car/truck? If so I'd at least make sure that any harddrives were locked in place, and I'd remove any really big cards such as GPUs and ship them separately. If you have a large aftermarket CPU cooler you should remove it before shipping.

If this is a commercial shipping company you're using, I'd remove anything I could and ship them separately. Drives, cards, coolers, etc., take it all out of the box and ship it separately with antistatic bags and padding.
I'm planning on using some service like MRW or DHL.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there a way I can get my GTX 970-equipped Windows 10 pc to switch playback device from my computer speakers to my tv when switching inputs? The monitor is hooked up via a DVI cable and I have a HDMI cable that connects to my HDTV.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Honest Thief posted:

Ship everything you can separately, and hope they don't knock any holes in your desktop case.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
In Windows (7 in this case, since the machine doesn't have NX bit), is it possible to have 3 monitors, and for two of them to be mirrored and the third one is extended?

Monitors A, B, and C. Monitor A has its own display. Monitor B extends monitor A. Monitor C is a mirror of monitor B.

Is this possible without relying on third-party software?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Should be able to tell Windows 7 and later which displays to duplicate and extend to no problem the way you're describing it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PBCrunch posted:

In Windows (7 in this case, since the machine doesn't have NX bit), is it possible to have 3 monitors, and for two of them to be mirrored and the third one is extended?

Monitors A, B, and C. Monitor A has its own display. Monitor B extends monitor A. Monitor C is a mirror of monitor B.

I have been able to do this on a past computer, using just the built in display controls. It's been several years though so I can't describe which precise things you need to do, but it did it with just the standard video card drivers and the control panel.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

Ship everything you can separately, and hope they don't knock any holes in your desktop case.
But they're paid professionals... that poo poo ain't right

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I don't know that just any computer can do it, but I have a couple of users on consumer grade Toshiba laptops with Toshiba USB3 docking stations (i.e. two video devices and three screens available) and one of them routinely duplicates her laptop's small-ish screen to her 23" 1080 screen, with a third screen in the mix. If your setup isn't going to get plugged in and unplugged regularly I'm sure something like that can be set up to persist, strangely we've got three of them and only one gives us problems, but that user has lots of stuff open every time she needs to disconnect and take the laptop away.

I use a home desktop (Win7) with a discrete video card and support for on-board graphics with two screens, one into each adapter. It's doable to use both, but certain things hate moving between video adapters like Windows Media Player, which crashes. Netflix windows will hesitate when moving from one screen to the other, Youtube seems to have a slight micro-stutter right as its moved, but nothing like the multi-second pause Netflix needs.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Honest Thief posted:

But they're paid professionals... that poo poo ain't right
Shipped a PC with FedEx once. Had to replace the board as the heatsink flexed the socket out of working shape, and the door on the case had to be removed completely as it was cracked and twisted up. Assuming any service like that that isn't a dedicated moving service is going to drop or toss your shipment so pack accordingly.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Honest Thief posted:

My honest answer for this after having to fix a LOT of PC's that "pro movers" moved - take the tower yourself. Save the headache. If not, yeah, take out ~anything~ big (video card, cpu cooler, etc.), and pad the poo poo out of it. If you have the box the case came in, and styrofoam, awesome, you are mostly-okay. But movers don't give a poo poo, and your system will get tossed around.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

Shipped a PC with FedEx once. Had to replace the board as the heatsink flexed the socket out of working shape, and the door on the case had to be removed completely as it was cracked and twisted up. Assuming any service like that that isn't a dedicated moving service is going to drop or toss your shipment so pack accordingly.
I always figured those fedex delivery men gifs were a joke

Siochain posted:

My honest answer for this after having to fix a LOT of PC's that "pro movers" moved - take the tower yourself. Save the headache. If not, yeah, take out ~anything~ big (video card, cpu cooler, etc.), and pad the poo poo out of it. If you have the box the case came in, and styrofoam, awesome, you are mostly-okay. But movers don't give a poo poo, and your system will get tossed around.

Well, my car can't make the drive, so I'm going by plane and I don't wanna risk it putting on cargo hold. So I guess I gotta take the gamble

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have a new gtx 970 that won't work, no video output or anything. When I turn on the computer the fans on the graphics card start and stop, start and stop, over and over. I have a power cable going from the VGA 1 slot on my PSU (evga gold 550w GS) which splits into two 6-pin connectors which I plug into the video card. In that same configuration an old ATI 4850 that takes a single 6-pin connector works fine. I've also tried another power cord from the VGA 2 connector, and I've tried one 6-pin from each.

So is there any chance in hell it could be anything to do with the PSU, or is this definitely a dead graphics card?

Mother board is ASRock H170M-ITX with a 6600k.

Something else pertinent occurred to me, the onboard video works when the 970 is plugged in, which I am assuming shouldn't happen?

With the same PSU, this does the same thing on an older motherboard I have.

edit: PSU is brand new as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tsyni posted:

I have a new gtx 970 that won't work, no video output or anything. When I turn on the computer the fans on the graphics card start and stop, start and stop, over and over. I have a power cable going from the VGA 1 slot on my PSU (evga gold 550w GS) which splits into two 6-pin connectors which I plug into the video card. In that same configuration an old ATI 4850 that takes a single 6-pin connector works fine. I've also tried another power cord from the VGA 2 connector, and I've tried one 6-pin from each.

So is there any chance in hell it could be anything to do with the PSU, or is this definitely a dead graphics card?

Something else pertinent occurred to me, the onboard video works when the 970 is plugged in, which I am assuming shouldn't happen?

If the card doesn't work when you reseat it in the slot (or try another PCI-E slot) then it's probably a DOA card. That PSU should be fine for a 970.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tsyni posted:

What model GTX 970? Looking around at a few different cards I would expect two power connectors on it and at least one of them to be an 8-pin.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Goon posted:

What model GTX 970? Looking around at a few different cards I would expect two power connectors on it and at least one of them to be an 8-pin.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0, yeah it just has two 6-pin connectors.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tsyni posted:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0, yeah it just has two 6-pin connectors.

Okay, fair enough - there have been a few people recently looking at their card and seeing two connectors, reading the manual that says connect power cables to both connectors and still not doing it :confused:

As you get the same issues with a different motherboard I would agree with Rexxed that it is DOA - it happens, it sucks, time to RMA it :(

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Goon posted:

Okay, fair enough - there have been a few people recently looking at their card and seeing two connectors, reading the manual that says connect power cables to both connectors and still not doing it :confused:

As you get the same issues with a different motherboard I would agree with Rexxed that it is DOA - it happens, it sucks, time to RMA it :(

The worst part is that I ordered this card a month ago, tried it in my old rig and it wouldn't work, and it's like an 8 year old motherboard so their support told me it wasn't compatible. I ended up buying a new motherboard and cpu etc and I had to RMA the new motherboard too. Just got the working motherboard today and tried the video card and...yeah. Sucks. Anyway, thanks guys.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I got a new 2.5 HDD for my portable mini-ITX rig... this guy: http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J22423/dp/B00B4QESVQ/

It's quiet as a mouse during reads or writes, but it spazzes out during idle and makes constant scratchy noises like a dirty fan. Do I need to return it, or fix a setting?

e: Fixed, the case's 2.5" toolless drive holder had a retainer clip that was pressing down on the lid of the drive that says "do not press". Nice.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 1, 2015

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a couple Cisco 3500 switches. For whatever reason, I cannot create any VLANs. Its driving me nuts trying to figure out why and I havent had any luck googling it.

So I go into global config mode, enter the command: vlan 10 And I get back a invalid input detected message. I know for a fact that is how you create a vlan. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or if there is some setting I have to change to do this? These are used switches, and did have configurations already from the previous owner that I wiped.

The weird thing is I can go to a specific switch port and assign it to a vlan, thus actually creating the vlan. I dont know whats going on....

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Charliegrs posted:

I have a couple Cisco 3500 switches. For whatever reason, I cannot create any VLANs. Its driving me nuts trying to figure out why and I havent had any luck googling it.

So I go into global config mode, enter the command: vlan 10 And I get back a invalid input detected message. I know for a fact that is how you create a vlan. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or if there is some setting I have to change to do this? These are used switches, and did have configurations already from the previous owner that I wiped.

The weird thing is I can go to a specific switch port and assign it to a vlan, thus actually creating the vlan. I dont know whats going on....

If you haven't already, you might try asking in The Cisco Short Questions Thread v12.4.9(WTF).

Mudfly
Jun 10, 2012
Not sure if this is the right place....

I wish to play League of Legends. My flatmates wish to download videos (and whatever else, 24/7). This causes my gaming ping to rise to 300 from 30. Can I resolve this issue with a router with QoS? Any recommendations?

Just tested my connection as 3.39Mbps down and 1.47Mbps up. I'm in Australia.

Mudfly fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 2, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Mudfly posted:

I wish to play League of Legends. My flatmates wish to download videos (and whatever else, 24/7). This causes my gaming ping to rise to 300 from 30. Can I resolve this issue with a router with QoS? Any recommendations?

While that would help, is there any way you could upgrade your Internet connection? You just don't have very much available to share. Are you sure the router you're using now doesn't do QoS, it's a standard feature?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mudfly posted:

Ultimatum.

Download when everyone is asleep and only then. Or. Buy your own internet connection.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Ultimatum.

Download when everyone is asleep and only then. Or. Buy your own internet connection.

When you say download videos, do you mean literally download videos or are you talking about streaming video services like Netflix? Because I believe 3 megs down isn't even considered fast enough to watch HD Netflix let alone have an online game running on the same connection at the same time. Like others have said, QoS isn't going to help you much in this case. Upgrading your connection is the best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

There aren't really any options to upgrade internet in Australia, short of spending ludicrous money on a 4G hotspot and data.