Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I kept my Inquisitor neutral for years, finally decided to finish through the expansion stories and i'm glad at the end of the shadow of revan they still refer to me as Darth Occlus.

Also I didn't expect much difference after seeing somebody do a DS Sith warrior, and I went and made my Sith warrior LS, and drat man, I was so wrong. I like LS Warrior more than most because you wind up looking like somebody better than the Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Thumbtacks posted:

I honestly think LS Sith is canon.

It would make sense. I mean, we know that by the time of the prequel movies, the Republic is using imperial ships, imperial-style uniforms, and coruscant's dominant accent is an Imperial one. If you ended up with a situation where the only sith left were LS Warrior or LS Inquisitor, they're on pretty good terms with both the Jedi and the Republic by this point, so maybe they lead the Empire into an era of peace that culminates in them joining the Republic.

Would be interesting if they ever did that in game, we're already at the point where the content is identical for both sides and for this expansion and the last the distinction between republic and empire is almost meaningless for the characters in the story too. I'm sure they'd never bite that bullet, but it would be interesting to see, even as an end of content finale.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I feel dumb because I just now realized how the outfit system actually works.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spaseman posted:

I've really enjoyed playing as a darkside smuggler. I love not giving a gently caress about people's problems or the greater conflict.

Until you finish the class story at least, and then suddenly you're willing to put your life on the line to fight darth malgus/save Makeb/kill the dread masters/stop revan/fight the emperor, an evil ghost who can consume all life in the galaxy

The BH and Smuggler kind of fall apart after their class stories if you don't play them as rebuplic/imperial allies. I agree that playing them as independents was way more fun, but then for some reason there they are fighting the enemies of their faction because...money I guess?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I've been slowly putting more time into this game. Really tempted to buy the Amazon bundle. I had 130 cartel coins somehow so I bought a crystal pack and ended up getting a decent pink and magenta for crystal. I wanted to upgrade all the components on my saber but I can't use a hilt for some reason. I don't have access? WTH is that? Also, I had a typo in my character name, which is for the best because the name I wanted was taken and it isn't too different. I'm Zaprowsdoer on republic if anyone wants to send me a guild invite.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 2, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wookieepelt posted:

I've been slowly prong more time into this game. Really tempted to buy the Amazon bundle. I had 130 cartel coins somehow so I bought a crystal pack and ended up getting a decent pink and magenta for crystal. I wanted to upgrade all the components on my saber but I can't use a hilt for some reason. I don't have access? WTH is that? Also, I had a typo in my character name, which is for the best because the name I wanted was taken and it isn't too different. I'm Zaprowsdoer on republic if anyone wants to send me a guild invite.

Right now there's a known issue with F2P and preferred not being able to use some purple items. If you were a previous subscriber, use a referral link and you'll get 7 days free subscription which from what I understand will give you all the expansions to keep.

Hammockbottom
Apr 10, 2005

It was Hamhockbottom right?
I would like to unconditionally say hi to the thread. Mostly to ensure that verification happens. Move along.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Medullah, come tank for us. We're juggling roles, too many dps for once.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HundredBears posted:

Medullah, come tank for us. We're juggling roles, too many dps for once.

Just a couple minutes.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I would think PvP armorings w/ set bonus and 208/216 mods/enhancements would be pretty good.

HundredBears posted:

You got me curious enough to make some estimates. Full 204s with set bonus are roughly on par with full comms 208s, which are worse than 208s with just the PvP relics and 6 204 set pieces, which are worse than full 216s, which are worse than 216s with PvP relics and six 204 set-armorings. It's not a huge difference, though: each 'which are worse' is very roughly 100 dps on top of a baseline of over 5000. This is just the dps analysis, too. Things will skew more to the comms gear for tanks and analysis for healers is complicated.

Edit: I bought a PvP piece to see the exact mastery value on one of the mods and hey, it looks like you can mix and match PvP and PvE armorings for set bonus purposes. That auto-crit is looking tempting.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

PvP armorings with PvE Mod/Enhancements (obviously the best of each you can get) were going to be my recommendation for DPS/Heals. Tanks should go full comm.
Thanks, all.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Medullah posted:

Right now there's a known issue with F2P and preferred not being able to use some purple items. If you were a previous subscriber, use a referral link and you'll get 7 days free subscription which from what I understand will give you all the expansions to keep.

I'm preferred, but I bought something ages ago and the rocket boosters are on a different server. I'll try a referral link and see if that does anything.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is there a way to hide the UI customization window while trying to customize your UI? I tis kind of getting in the way of actually moving things around.

Alternatively, anyone have a good UI with decently laid out barspace? :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a general post on how crafting works?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I SWEAR. This thing is BRAND NEW and already broken.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Probably not. I've been hearing that if you do the auto-60 Imperials are DS, Republics are LS.

I made an auto 60 sith warrior and started at 0 light 0 dark and nobody mentioned anything about my past actions that lead me to believe my guy had any kind of morality.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Bogarts posted:

I made an auto 60 sith warrior and started at 0 light 0 dark and nobody mentioned anything about my past actions that lead me to believe my guy had any kind of morality.

Ditto for my trooper, at least so far. It might be different for characters with readily apparent differences between light and dark, though (i.e. what title the Inquisitor gets, whether Jaesa is dark or light, etc.)

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I made some haiku.

Haunted Oricon,
Dread Masters plot dominion.
Brave the Dark Council!

Child of Prophecy.
Prisoner of the Empire.
His name is Revan!

A blonde and Dark Side?
She's such a perfect waifu!
Lesbian Lana.

So the cry went out:
"Medullah, come tank for us!"
"Give me 5 minutes."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BTW, is Lana supposed to be some alien species or is it just odd face design?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

BTW, is Lana supposed to be some alien species or is it just odd face design?

Just infamously odd face design, and it gets better in KotFE. She's human.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cythereal posted:

I'm still surprised they didn't remodel at least the PC heads with KotFE... I mean, DAoC and countless other MMOs at least did that poo poo with their graphical updates, it just makes your guy look out of place next to the KotFE NPCs.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Fuzz posted:

I'm still surprised they didn't remodel at least the PC heads with KotFE... I mean, DAoC and countless other MMOs at least did that poo poo with their graphical updates, it just makes your guy look out of place next to the KotFE NPCs.

The graphics engine for SWTOR was an early version of the hero engine that the original programmers grabbed and hacked up. I am certain that the current dev team would overhaul graphics if they could, they are probably working all the magic they can to give us armor with better textures and cleaning things up like Lana's face.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

:o:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Are you dying in a Star Fortress?

I've died a handful of times across multiple planets on my 1-50 run and I'm not getting the message anymore.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Wanted to share my Haiku:

Stuck with loving Skadge
Oh god where did his pants go
Lost in the jerky

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
For Hereon and anyone else that needs it, probably still has a few left.

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/ddne7

(Referral link also gets both sides some swag if you didn't already click one: http://www.swtor.com/r/6WVLyH)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Marr called my instant 60 Inquisitor Darth Imperius. So I guess LS is canon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Still has the weird eyelids.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Cythereal posted:

Her concept art is awesome, it sucks it didn't translate like it should have.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Until you finish the class story at least, and then suddenly you're willing to put your life on the line to fight darth malgus/save Makeb/kill the dread masters/stop revan/fight the emperor, an evil ghost who can consume all life in the galaxy

The BH and Smuggler kind of fall apart after their class stories if you don't play them as rebuplic/imperial allies. I agree that playing them as independents was way more fun, but then for some reason there they are fighting the enemies of their faction because...money I guess?

That's what kinda makes it look like they were placed in a situation they make the best out of, instead of it being ~destiny~, and after playing Ziost a bunch of times on my empire characters, i appreciated BH the most because it just reminded me that at this point my guy is just constantly being underestimated due to the whole force circle jerk.

That was a big reason why I wanted to play this game at launch, just to see the story reactions to a guy who isn't jedi/sith, and you win anyway because you have the tools.

Darth Vader didn't get taken down by bounty hunters, it's because he bought them all. those drat prequels muddled it all up i tell you (Link to redlettermedia)

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 2, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Heh. My own general chat reading confirms Alderaan as officially the worst planet. When I just arrived, they were talking about KKK and next day about BDSM and erotic electrocution.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I finally finished all the pre-KOTFE story content. I am feeling a great hesitation in hitting that big purple Play button, though... There's such a finality to it...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Does KotFE have a "shove everyone in an airlock and give them 15 seconds to stop whining" button?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HundredBears posted:

You got me curious enough to make some estimates. Full 204s with set bonus are roughly on par with full comms 208s, which are worse than 208s with just the PvP relics and 6 204 set pieces, which are worse than full 216s, which are worse than 216s with PvP relics and six 204 set-armorings. It's not a huge difference, though: each 'which are worse' is very roughly 100 dps on top of a baseline of over 5000. This is just the dps analysis, too. Things will skew more to the comms gear for tanks and analysis for healers is complicated.

Edit: I bought a PvP piece to see the exact mastery value on one of the mods and hey, it looks like you can mix and match PvP and PvE armorings for set bonus purposes. That auto-crit is looking tempting.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do some PvP to at least get my sniper from her current 6 piece 192 set bonus to the 204 PvP one, two charges of Laze Target is amazing. Maybe start working on the tank sets too.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do some PvP to at least get my sniper from her current 6 piece 192 set bonus to the 204 PvP one, two charges of Laze Target is amazing. Maybe start working on the tank sets too.

That's kind of what I did. I got a full PVP tank set for my Jugg and 208-216 comms tank set as well. I kept the PVP armorings for the set bonus and put in the comms mods and enhancements in. Then I stuck in mark-8 augments in there. I don't know how optimal that is but it seems to work in SM PVE stuff.

Tanking is... fun? Maybe? I still suck at it, I'm sure.

The reason I finally went tank? I got the Sith Recluse chestpiece in an outfit tab and that thing looks like it's made to tank, not DPS :v:

I miss Vengeance's smash animation though.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 2, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why is the animation for the armour-breaking Sundering Strike such a limp-wristed swipe? Bioware's departments need to start speaking to one another, left hand isn't interested in what the right is doing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

That's kind of what I did. I got a full PVP tank set for my Jugg and 208-216 comms tank set as well. I kept the PVP armorings for the set bonus and put in the comms mods and enhancements in. Then I stuck in mark-8 augments in there. I don't know how optimal that is but it seems to work in SM PVE stuff.

Tanking is... fun? Maybe? I still suck at it, I'm sure.

The reason I finally went tank? I got the Sith Recluse chestpiece in an outfit tab and that thing looks like it's made to tank, not DPS :v:

I miss Vengeance's smash animation though.

Always need more tanks. :). SM tanking at this point is pretty brainless so I wouldn't mind a few people getting some practice in at it so we have some backups and its not always me or one of the veterans taking it on - sometimes we wanna pew pew as well. :)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

Why is the animation for the armour-breaking Sundering Strike such a limp-wristed swipe? Bioware's departments need to start speaking to one another, left hand isn't interested in what the right is doing.

For juggs or knights? Juggs have a pretty cool one, it's basically a happy gilmore golf swing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

sassassin posted:

The Jedi Knight combat animations were very much based on the prequels choreography. Everything is ridiculously showy and low impact. As much as I love their idle pose, the fact that stuff like Sundering Strike or whatever their version of Vicious Slash is called looks so show offy and not like anything you'd do in an actual sword battle is :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

For juggs or knights? Juggs have a pretty cool one, it's basically a happy gilmore golf swing.

I play as the guys who make world-killing super-weapons, and then cry and blame other people when those weapons get used.

I also murder indiscriminately, except for the officers who send countless men to their deaths at my hand. Those I get good guy points for sparing.

Life as a Sith is probably a lot less confusing and morally indefensible. I should look into converting.

Bioware seem to have missed the point of the Star Wars.

• Locked thread