Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

With it, charge attacks with blues and up will pretty much destroy clan rats in one hit so you wanna get a whole bunch at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Does the targets stat of a weapon also affect push, or does push hit a static amount of rats regardless of the weapon?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Push hits all rats in range

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
got heroic killing blow on a shield/mace. 3% to kill anything with a charged attack.

killed a rat ogre by smacking it with a shield, around 10 seconds after it appeared.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Death by Chickens posted:

I like the elf's dual swords more than the sword + dagger combo. With dual swords I can normal attack constantly while dodging from side to side and kill hordes while taking minimal / no damage. With the + dagger I find that the last attack in the combo that stabs the dagger forward just completely ruins my timing and causes me to almost always get poked.

Do the charge attack that's the diagonal one (which is actually pretty great vs hordes), dodge back, move forward and repeat. Alternatively, block for like half a second after the diagonal charge attack hits and it'll reset. I lucked out and got a really decent orange sword & dagger set on the elf and I love it. The normal attacks have fairly wide sweeps as well.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Dezztroy posted:

Funnily enough the poison bow is the only weapon where firendly fire is a serious problem. Nothing like being in a melee only to have half your health melt in 2 seconds because your elf pubbie shot you in the back :v:

The aimbot bow will gently caress teammates up pretty good too if they're unlucky. Try it on a rat ogre with a group you don't like.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I think I have gotten incredibly lucky with all my pub attempts thus far in this game. There have definitely been a few people with bad attitudes and a mountain who were just plain not great at the game, but mostly folks seem pretty reasonable. I was running Nightmare Horn the other day just after the patch, and the team was discussing various glitches and exploits for the finale as we closed in. A bit nonplussed, I asked if we could just do it legit.

"Yeah, " the dwarf agrees. "gently caress all that stuff, there's no need and it's more fun to do it normally." We promptly jumped down, blew the horn, and had an enjoyable direct fight instead of utilizing any stupid gimmicks.

Sometimes, faith is rewarded.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Backhand posted:

I think I have gotten incredibly lucky with all my pub attempts thus far in this game. There have definitely been a few people with bad attitudes and a mountain who were just plain not great at the game, but mostly folks seem pretty reasonable. I was running Nightmare Horn the other day just after the patch, and the team was discussing various glitches and exploits for the finale as we closed in. A bit nonplussed, I asked if we could just do it legit.

"Yeah, " the dwarf agrees. "gently caress all that stuff, there's no need and it's more fun to do it normally." We promptly jumped down, blew the horn, and had an enjoyable direct fight instead of utilizing any stupid gimmicks.

Sometimes, faith is rewarded.

I refuse to believe this fantastic tale of non-terrible pubbies. I don't know what your agenda is, but :frogout:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
gently caress these dice. Had about 10 nightmare runs and I never rolled above a 2. Just going to take a break, because gently caress that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"the host has left game" please give me an opportunity, after this message, to also leave the game? Don't make me load a lobby with those people who ALSO want to leave game. Getting bounced around for five minutes while every host, in turn, decides to leave the game also, is not fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The White Rat was a fun level, I think. Exciting and hectic.

Now to do it and all the other levels on Hard. Then Nightmare. :getin:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

How do I be the best shield man I can be? I don't swing my sword, really, do I? Do I just hold up a shield and let everyone else get the kills? Do I only do charge attacks? I attack so slow. I shouldn't have jumped into nightmare to learn this. I usually play mage with a fire sword and dash back after every third hit, that fourth stab directly killing the rat charging me out of the group I just set on fire. I don't know if a shield man should ever leap out of combat but I keep getting murdered. Should I charge attack commanders with my shield? It doesn't seem to bother them.
What do I even do with this shield?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got full on Clever Girled by a Gutter Runner today. We saw him leap up, so I'm sitting there with my crossbow, aiming at his last location, saying 'C'mon! C'mon down!' and then a second later he drops in behind me and pounces me. It was wonderful. I love these rear end in a top hat rats.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008

Krinkle posted:

How do I be the best shield man I can be? I don't swing my sword, really, do I? Do I just hold up a shield and let everyone else get the kills? Do I only do charge attacks? I attack so slow. I shouldn't have jumped into nightmare to learn this. I usually play mage with a fire sword and dash back after every third hit, that fourth stab directly killing the rat charging me out of the group I just set on fire. I don't know if a shield man should ever leap out of combat but I keep getting murdered. Should I charge attack commanders with my shield? It doesn't seem to bother them.

yeah pretty much just charge attack constantly, mix in pushes when needed (eg you don't have time to charge up another shield bash). Your only purpose is really crowd control and stunlocking stormvermin if they get close. Also take the pistol secondary to snipe specials and you're good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Krinkle posted:

The sword is different from the other shield weapons in that it covers a wide enough arc you can definitely cut through chaff, and when they start to push in you can shove them back into the tide to get aoed. For commanders, bash them and if you're free handgun them, but definitely keep them from attacking freely.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

But Not Tonight posted:

Be sure you're mouse-dragging with those charge attacks. Don't just swing at one spot, you can bash up a whole bunch of rats in one swing if you spin around while releasing it, timed properly.

Another good tip with 2H axe/hammer is to hold block after swinging with left click. Normally your movespeed is slowed down to a crawl for a bit after using that attack, but you can cancel it with a block to keep pushing forward quickly.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I just now got my first trinket!

And it's blue!

And it's whenever I drink a Strength/Speed potion there's a chance I don't consume it! (I dono if that's good)

But most of all I now have a sweet hip flask on my character models!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon you should be smashing pots when things get even slightly out of control. You find heaps of them and drinking a strength pot and just wiping out wave after wave of skaven is both fun and worth it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, a lot of people, myself included, have a bad habit of not using potions very often. They're quite common in the maps and they can be pretty useful.

In my defense, I've got a green potion sharing trinket, so my instinct is to always get my paws on a Strength potion then sit on it until the Rat Ogre shows up so the whole group can blast him with strength-potion boosted bombs. However, the 66%(?) duration reduction makes me think of swapping it out as it makes potion feel pretty useless otherwise.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone get a weird error like "Vermintide/LL" or something? I cant seem to ever run it since the new update came out :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, a lot of people, myself included, have a bad habit of not using potions very often. They're quite common in the maps and they can be pretty useful.

In my defense, I've got a green potion sharing trinket, so my instinct is to always get my paws on a Strength potion then sit on it until the Rat Ogre shows up so the whole group can blast him with strength-potion boosted bombs. However, the 66%(?) duration reduction makes me think of swapping it out as it makes potion feel pretty useless otherwise.
Wait, I thought it only reduced the duration of the people you shared it with. So they'd get the free short boost and you'd get the full potion. No?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nope, my duration is reduced as well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There's a few issues with their usage.

For both, even without a duration drop, they don't last very long so you have a need to guzzle them at the last second. This is a problem since you really, REALLY want to be drinking these things in advance so you can resume your normal fighting motions.

Part of the issue with Speed potions is that people build up a workable cadence with their weapon, and the speed potion's melee haste means that most people are actually MORE likely to take damage under its effects instead of less. I have no idea how to fix this because that's half the point of speed potions.

Strength potions specifically are not as common as one might wish, and Rat Ogres are so much of a problem that people legitimately want to save strength potions to erase the single biggest threat on the stage. Which leaves them vulnerable to getting nailed by the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th biggest threats in the meantime.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

got heroic killing blow on a shield/mace. 3% to kill anything with a charged attack.

killed a rat ogre by smacking it with a shield, around 10 seconds after it appeared.
loot doesnt matter

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, but even after clearing the level's rat ogre, people often forget to chug potions when handy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Well, there's also a lot of debate over 'when handy' is. Clan rats can actually be of help, especially with sword and board types. But it's a very situational thing since most people work into a pretty good rhythm with their unboosted weapon, so the few seconds you gain by killing them with a strength potion is questionably useful. Stormvermin are the quintessential 'use a muscle pot' situation, but again you have the problem of timing with them. Either you see them coming and someone erases them with a handgun, or you do not and you're desperately trying to defend yourself.

Potions as a whole are in a really weird spot as far as the game is concerned, and it's really not surprising to me that people don't use them much. I don't really know how to use them better, though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I am noticing a pattern. My first trinket was 'cannot be interrupted while healing" and my second is "healing other people gives me 20% of that healing also"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, "Mutliple Stormvermin incoming and I don't have a (loaded) handgun" is basically my definition of handy.

They are a big awkward, but what could be done to improve them? Longer duration? Ability to use them without switching weapons?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, I put in my beta feedback form that the switch animation for potions need to be faster, personally. Longer duration would help, but that also fundamentally changes something that's not mechanically broken in the first place. The effect of potions, especially strength ones, are pretty easy to defend as useful, it's just the timing that is really weird.

Maybe if they took a second to actually take effect, it would encourage you to quaff them before you strictly need them and feel like less of a waste? I dunno I am really just spitballing here.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, "Mutliple Stormvermin incoming and I don't have a (loaded) handgun" is basically my definition of handy.

They are a big awkward, but what could be done to improve them? Longer duration? Ability to use them without switching weapons?

I'd say longer duration because as they are now they only last like 10 or 15 seconds. There have been times I've chugged a strength potion to help attack the rat ogre only to have clan rats scratch my back and by the time I'm done with them oh the potion's effect is gone.

If a longer duration would make it too OP how about a trinket to increase duration instead, if there already isn't one.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

I almost wish there were monster gibs like dead shamblers in quake, would give more visual cues to proccing than some gib splatter

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pnutz posted:

I almost wish there were monster gibs like dead shamblers in quake, would give more visual cues to proccing than some gib splatter

At the very least it should say "X destroyed a Y" instead of "X killed a Y" when killing blow procs on a special. Wouldn't even require extra creative work, just an extra couple lines of code for a :hellyeah:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

When rats just disappear is that my 5% instant kill chance working?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got a Blue Rapier for WH that has a 9% insta-kill chance on man-sized targets and yeah, sometimes enemies just seem to blink out existence, usually Storm Vermin is where I notice it, since they tend to stand out.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Krinkle posted:

yeah the instant kill effect just makes things disappear in a cloud of blood

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Krinkle posted:

that should be it, there's usually a large blood splatter where they were

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
to be fair the HKB proc chance being so low even at 3% means that it's kind of useless for the most part and the only other time so far I tried to bop a rat ogre with my shield involved me slapping it about a dozen times ineffectually before getting my face smashed in.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

They were on half health and hadn't picked up a single grain bag, it definitely doesn't matter, they didn't win that one!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Just played a game across the pond I guess because a british voice kept telling me to keep up and from my point of view I was up their asses the entire loving time so it was either a really frustrating deep andy kaufman joke or there were horrendous lag issues.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Krinkle posted:

(Warhammer Fantasy lore) Gutter Runner bodies disappear on death because their bodies are enchanted to rapidly decompose to a liquid mess, that evaporates quickly, on death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hey, what's this, a lone stationary stormvermin poking its head around a corner? I'll go give it a whack.

:stare: Nopenopenopenopenope

Those fuckers had just been sitting there, apparently stuck against the wall, not moving or making a sound. Still managed to beat them off, though.

• Locked thread