Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Somehow I missed that the discussion was specifically chains.

I've had excellent luck with the Champion brand stuff. Cheap at Autoclones everywhere and really sticky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Maxima chain wax is what I use, it doesn't seem to attract much dirt. It comes out foamy and seems to fizz into the chain and looks like lube (clear). I used to use belray chain wax and it was a mess, hated the stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I crashed it. A lot.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I crashed it. A lot.

How much is a lot? Are you dead?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably 5-6 times :v: It's just a dirtbike.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

makka-setan posted:

How much is a lot? Are you dead?

He looks pretty dead. :ohdear:

What went down?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

N is for Nipples posted:

He looks pretty dead. :ohdear:

What went down?

His bike, learn to read! :cheeky:

theperminator fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 1, 2015

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

(Yesterday) I snapped the chain and broke the clutch slave cylinder, mounting bolt, and bent the clutch push rod in the process. Engines okay though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

I hosed it up(over time, and PO helped.)

I went to adjust my chain today because its been loose lately. I've been really lazy about it and the chains 'bout due anyways. I go to adjust it and realize 8 of the 43 teeth are broken :gonk: This is an aluminum sprocket with 5k miles according to the PO, and about another 1.5k from me. It was pretty pointy and was due soon, with the chain, but holy crap. I had looked at the chain personally and even had a tire swap at a shop recently, all teeth were there. PO gave me the old sprockets too luckily, tossed the old 42t back on for now. New parts soon.

ALSO: I wrecked a rotor. I ran the rear pads to the bare metal and put big grooves on my rotor. When I got my tire done a couple weeks ago, I'm fairly certain the dude said my pads were about 30% so I figured I've got quite awhile. Nope. Front looks good at least. PO also left with me new set of pads for the bike so I tossed on the new rear pads. My excuse is I wear ear plugs and couldn't gear the grinding at all and it felt fine, until today. Very abrupt grabbing at slow speed breaking.

I cleaned the front sprocket area with some kerosene too. What a drat mess in there. Kerosene did wonders and just melted away the goopy residue.

Schroeder91 posted:

(Yesterday) I snapped the chain and broke the clutch slave cylinder, mounting bolt, and bent the clutch push rod in the process. Engines okay though.

Hmmm

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I've been a bit neglectful lately, and new to me used bike. Should've parked the bike and got the chain and sprocket squared away but I didn't, I love my Vstrom.

My Honda is in great shape though, aside from the rashed fairings...

This has been and eye opener to say the least, about the importance of taking care of poo poo and how much more power the Vstrom has to the 500 and the force it puts on the chain. The rotor I don't have a good excuse for though, I was a huge idiot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just FYI, when you wear a pad down to the metal, you usually never hear anything weird. Bike brakes make noises based on random magical factors, usually nothing to do with the condition of your brakes. You gotta check them by eye.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Just FYI, when you wear a pad down to the metal, you usually never hear anything weird. Bike brakes make noises based on random magical factors, usually nothing to do with the condition of your brakes. You gotta check them by eye.

Yup. Wombat dies of a heart attack in Sydney? Your brakes suddenly sound like they've got gravel in them.

Drop in the DOW index? Your brakes suddenly sound absolutely perfect despite being noisy for the past month.

Why would you not look at them anyway, it's not like they're hard to see. Everything is right there, don't need to take wheels off or anything.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
new rear dirt tire, oil change and swap over to sm wheels.

rear dirt tires lasting 2500 miles. :negative:
Rolled 3000mi on the engine. ~1000mi/mo is alright imo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

new rear dirt tire, oil change and swap over to sm wheels.

rear dirt tires lasting 2500 miles. :negative:
Rolled 3000mi on the engine. ~1000mi/mo is alright imo.

What kind of tire?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Michelin T63. I installed a d606

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Michelin T63. I installed a d606

Have you used d606s before? If yes, how do you like them? If not, want to come back and let us know how you like them? :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Have you used d606s before? If yes, how do you like them? If not, want to come back and let us know how you like them? :)

I ran it for ~50mi when I first got it running. taking it to carnegie thursday to see how it does in the dirt.

Huge fan of the T63s on bigger bikes, but I didn't care for it much on the drz.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's supposed to be a 10/90 street/offroad so it should do decent on dirt but wear faster on the road.

E: with the size of the knobbies, I'd imagine it's better for hard pack rather than softer dirt.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got down to actually cleaning my brakes, and yeah it turns out a lot of the red crap in the pictures I took that I was panicking over in the other thread was removable. Fuckers are still seized though :suicide:

Tried to remove the left side caliper and it's jammed on to the disc. I'll get some help muscling it off later. Also one of the screws on the reservoir cap is stuck and the head is already partially shredded. I'll be hitting it with WD40 every day for the next few days in the hope it magically loosens. A quick google suggests I should be able to pick up a master/lever and pair of front calipers off a parted out bike for under £100, but not really sure how to confirm in advance that these wouldn't be seized too. There's a guy on eBay doing complete refurbs that wants £160 just for the calipers (and an extra £65 on top if I don't send him my current ones in exchange); it's a guarantee they'll function like new, but I've no idea if it's worth the price :shrug:

Little victories: got my number plate drilled out and fitted :toot:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New steering head bearings, now the front and rear tires feel like they're on the same vehicle. Going to run them about 100miles and retorque.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress, I killed it.

CSB STRIKES AGAIN.

E: D606 does good. would do better if I didnt forget my proper tire gauge. Hill climbs good in soft muddy bullshit.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress, I killed it.

CSB STRIKES AGAIN.

E: D606 does good. would do better if I didnt forget my proper tire gauge. Hill climbs good in soft muddy bullshit.

Nice to hear about the d606 anyway. :)

You should buy a nice, indestructible 650.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I blew one of those up 3 months ago. :v:

its my fault, and I'm bad and should feel bad.

buuuuut I'll fix it.

I'll say I'm surprised the poo poo it'll climb when I just point the front at it and quit being such a weenie.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
You gonna put a big bore in that drz too?

What's the total of killed drzs so far between everyone? At least 4 or 5?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If the piston is hosed, then yes its going to 470. if not its staying a 424.

I'm on my first kill. and tonight the paycheck goes through, not one gently caress is given.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

cursedshitbox posted:

I'll say I'm surprised the poo poo it'll climb when I just point the front at it and quit being such a weenie.

This was my reaction after throwing a recent KTM 125 around. My regular trail bike is older than I am and it's more like a street bike with a knobby on the back and a high pipe. The things I could do on the 125 without it bucking me off... good times.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Timing chain broke.

Wiseco chains are known for this poo poo, I got a hotcams branded one with the hotcams...yeah they're just as lovely as the wiseco chains. OEM parts ordered.

Passed a leakdown test, lucky as gently caress.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
That makes me want to replace my 22kmi timing chain just for shits and giggles next time I have the motor apart.

In other news I checked the oil when waiting in line at a whataburger drivethru. Added about 75-100ml after I got home. #notgonnachichevachethisbike

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Chain-driven timing, how quaint.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Chain-driven timing, how quaint.

This is like that one episode where the autobots lose the fight. It has to be a two parter! Please say "to be continued"!

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Changed the front and rear tyres because I loving hate myself and really wanted to piss away an entire afternoon loving with rubber. Balanced the wheel as well to hopefully make the rear wear evenly instead of going to the indicators on one side while the other still has 5mm tread left. It ended up taking 90g to balance the rear and 60 for the front, turns out bead lockers are loving heavy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

I blew one of those up 3 months ago. :v:

This is pretty much the reason why I finally gave up on dirt for good and switched to street riding; offroading of any kind is just too drat hard on the wallet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that is curable with n+1.

Redundant array of expensive broken bikes.

Swapped SM wheels on, ordered a SM rear rotor for the dirt wheels, cleaned up the cylinder/head surfaces. as soon as the parts arrive its going back together.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is pretty much the reason why I finally gave up on dirt for good and switched to street riding; offroading of any kind is just too drat hard on the wallet.

Hahahahahahaha what? Complete opposite for me. I've put less into my YZ450F that came as a tiny bit of a basket case, including riding it for 15 hours than one trackday fee + tires + gas + etc cost me on any street bike I've owned. Honestly blowing my mind how cheap it is.

I think you should probably factor your crash expenses in there.

It doesn't solve 'the itch' but it helps.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 8, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahahahahaha what? Complete opposite for me. I've put less into my YZ450F that came as a tiny bit of a basket case, including riding it for 15 hours than one trackday fee + tires + gas + etc cost me on any street bike I've owned. Honestly blowing my mind how cheap it is.

I said street riding, not trackdays :v:

Aside from the occasional autocross with my daily driver, those get too expensive for me too.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Rode it!

Figured I'd run in the new rubber and test out the cheapo hammock I got at the same time so I rode up to one of the local state forests up on Mt Horrible and had a kip.

The view wasn't half bad either, camera didn't cope all that well looking into the sun though.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I replaced the tail/brake light bulb on the DR350. Not that that is anything special or hardly even worth mentioning, but this is the first bulb I have had to replace ever. Over five years, three bikes and 50000 km I have gone through chains, sprockets, batteries, brake pads and tires, but never a light bulb.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

makka-setan posted:

I replaced the tail/brake light bulb on the DR350. Not that that is anything special or hardly even worth mentioning, but this is the first bulb I have had to replace ever. Over five years, three bikes and 50000 km I have gone through chains, sprockets, batteries, brake pads and tires, but never a light bulb.

Maybe try crashing on the side on big rocks more? That's usually a good way to have to replace turn signal bulbs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Mucked around with the Honda's carb yesterday, and got caught in the ~10 minute rain shower as I was just about finished putting it all back together. :( PITA.

Tried to ride it today, got half way up the block before it started dying, etc. Said "gently caress it" and into the backyard she goes.

Later took the Bandit out for a little afternoon ride around in the city to enjoy the sun. So nice to have biek that works all* the time.

*Barring strange battery drains and getting knocked over on the reg lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Ordered almost AU$200 of various parts, tools, and lube/cleaner for the postie that I bought recently, and still haven't gotten to the more expensive stuff yet (tyres, sprocket/chain) :suicide: Gonna make sure this thing is on the right track before I spend more than the bare minimum on consumables, in case I get to something I can't fix/afford to have fixed, and wind up having to cut my losses. Am slowly realising from little things that it's been owned by a string of neglectful PO's, not just the last one.

This morning I went down with the socket set to check bolt head sizes, to give me an idea of what size spanners I'll want in the roadside toolkit I'm putting together. Darndest thing, I couldn't get anything to fit the axel nut on the left side...

...oh, that's why I can't get a socket to fit properly around it, head is totally chewed up (that's the "good' side of the nut). Checked the other side of the bike and of course the split/cotter pin is missing.

You can't tell too well from the picture, but the hole that it threads through is blocked by one of those teeth, whatever idiot was putting it back on last time probably noticed it at the end and figured :effort:

Haven't finalised my parts order from the guy with spares yet, hopefully he's got a spare axel nut. When I was cleaning the rims up the other day I found some scratches/gouges in them from someone being careless with tyre levers. However, the tyre hails from The Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Ninety Six (:cry:), and the PO was a uni student on his P's, so it probably goes back at least another owner. I suppose he could have just changed out a flat tube and refitted the old tyre, but my hunch is otherwise.

Good news: pretty sure I can salvage the busted up turn indicator. Disassembled:

The main problem is the little metal L-bracket has come loose from rest of the stalk, although that cracked up rubber stuff is doing no favours for the whole thing's integrity. I mixed up some JB Weld and used a splinter off one of the chopsticks I'd used as a temporary splint for it to get down into the cracks. Rubber band to hold it tight length-wise:

Did the same for the other side, but couldn't find any other single rubber bands that wouldn't snap (the ones I found were quite old and brittle), so used several at once. Daubed most of the excess JB Weld off the surface, then wrapped in alu foil and tightened down the adjustable spanner as much as I could (no proper clamps in the house, foil is to keep the spanner clear of epoxy). I'm doing this in two stages so I can target both areas, once the exterior finishes curing I'll use the same stuff to secure the L-bracket to the body of what is hopefully a more intact stalk, and with any luck should be good to go.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 9, 2015