Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To balance things out, I never helped Alyssa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

I played ths game and saw that like 60% of people chose to smooch Warren in Ep 5

Some of those people have to be hiding in this thread, so please tell me what the hell your damage is, please and thank you

I'd been ignoring him for the majority of the game so it'd be awkward even if I gave him a hug.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Alder posted:

I'd been ignoring him for the majority of the game so it'd be awkward even if I gave him a hug.

Honestly the hug comes off more as a stress relief or something than anything romantic. As far as I remember, the dialogue is just: "I could use a hug right about now." "Me too."

Paladinus posted:

To balance things out, I never helped Alyssa.

If I could change time enough to cause a supernatural tornado/hurricane to wipe out your town, I would do it in a heartbeat. You monster

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I definitely considered hugging Warren to be a friendly rather than romantic option, which is why I chose that. I had no interest in hooking up Max and Warren.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Plom Bar posted:

Thinking about it, the bird is, at first glance, a symbol for Chloe. In the "intended" order of things, the bird smacks the window and dies almost randomly in the first episode, unless Max intervenes and manipulates reality to save it. Then, in the fourth episode, once again only through Max' intervention could can the bird survive, and I don't think it's a coincidence that this takes place in the only other episode where the player MUST watch Chloe die (in other situations where you save her life, it's possible to get everything right on the first go; 4 is the only other time all roads lead to dead Chloe).

You also see the bird in the same episode as the train track incident, don't you?

Also, environmental symbolism does tie into the notion of unintended consequences; ecosystems are exceptionally complex, interwoven systems, and changing one part echoes through all the rest.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Axelgear posted:

You also see the bird in the same episode as the train track incident, don't you?

Also, environmental symbolism does tie into the notion of unintended consequences; ecosystems are exceptionally complex, interwoven systems, and changing one part echoes through all the rest.

I don't think so; you see different birds in Chloe's house at various points, but the blue bird you save in Episode 1, I'm almost certain, is only seen again in Episode 4.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Macaluso posted:

Raise your hand if you didn't rewind time when Warren's science experiment blew up in his dumb face

I rewound but then I didn't bother fixing it so it just blew up again.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Plom Bar posted:

I don't think so; you see different birds in Chloe's house at various points, but the blue bird you save in Episode 1, I'm almost certain, is only seen again in Episode 4.

The one in the bathroom, I'm reasonably sure, is the same bird as in episode 1. It's a bluebird, it's in the right part of the house... Seems pretty likely. The other bird you find downstairs is probably its mate, considering the eggs in the garage.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Hargrimm posted:

Honestly the hug comes off more as a stress relief or something than anything romantic. As far as I remember, the dialogue is just: "I could use a hug right about now." "Me too."

Heh, that's the exact line you use when you hug Kate in the hospital.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Empress Theonora posted:

I rewound but then I didn't bother fixing it so it just blew up again.

I rewound and used foreknowledge to make it blow up even bigger, which the game tricked me into thinking was the correct course of action from the new dialogue option

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I rewound and used foreknowledge to make it blow up even bigger, which the game tricked me into thinking was the correct course of action from the new dialogue option

It was.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Macaluso posted:

Raise your hand if you didn't rewind time when Warren's science experiment blew up in his dumb face

I was disappointed you couldn't change his grade to something worse.
Or write something mean on his whiteboard.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

wyoming posted:

I was disappointed you couldn't change his grade to something worse.
Or write something mean on his whiteboard.

You monster.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wow, you people are really mean to a video game character for no reason.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
This game was amazing, right until the ending, which I wish would have given us more insight to how things turn out for the other cast members.

Now that it's over, I find myself wanting more. Are there other games that you folks can recommend that have that quality of characterization?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Talmonis posted:

You monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZWspd8hJU

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

I liked Warren. Dude was wince-inducingly awkward at times, but I hooted like an owl when he beat Nathan into the floor. (Is that something that still needs spoilering?)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Talmonis posted:

This game was amazing, right until the ending, which I wish would have given us more insight to how things turn out for the other cast members.

Now that it's over, I find myself wanting more. Are there other games that you folks can recommend that have that quality of characterization?

I think Ghost Trick uses a very similar time rewind power as its gimmick for puzzles (which are better than Life is Strange) and has pretty good characters but the events are more fantastic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Axelgear posted:

I liked Warren. Dude was wince-inducingly awkward at times, but I hooted like an owl when he beat Nathan into the floor. (Is that something that still needs spoilering?)

I felt bad for Nathan, so I rewound, but ended up letting Warren beat him up, because I didn't want to leave Nathan with a gun.
Be kinda funny if you left him with a gun, and Jefferson shows up with a wound on his arm or something.

Talmonis posted:

I felt SOMA had some pretty good characterization, I felt it was somewhat spoiled by the the protagonist being a dumb jerk though. YMMV.
It's by the Amnesia guys, to give you an idea.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

welp, I always felt like he's a friend of Max but I didn't really like him per se but we're almost friends of friends and here we are. The game kinda kept shoving them together even though the world was ending too.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

wyoming posted:

I felt bad for Nathan, so I rewound, but ended up letting Warren beat him up, because I didn't want to leave Nathan with a gun.
Be kinda funny if you left him with a gun, and Jefferson shows up with a wound on his arm or something.

Yeah, that actually feels really... Off in hindsight. Nathan's father basically owns the town, and if you didn't let him get beaten up, he had a gun. Jefferson hunting him down and killing him feels strange when Nathan could, say, hide in the family estate. So did him calling Max to apologize, frankly. There was a lot that was really weird about that.

Also, I didn't feel bad for Nathan. I know I probably should, but the context of going into that moment was reading an endless litany of purchases of date rape drugs bought by him and recalling what Kate Marsh went through. Getting his face beaten in for threatening people with a gun at that point was not only pretty deserved, it was amazingly cathartic. Brutal, but cathartic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Axelgear posted:

Yeah, that actually feels really... Off in hindsight. Nathan's father basically owns the town, and if you didn't let him get beaten up, he had a gun. Jefferson hunting him down and killing him feels strange when Nathan could, say, hide in the family estate. So did him calling Max to apologize, frankly. There was a lot that was really weird about that.

Yes, that was strange considering he could just rely on the local police too. Although, I did stop Warren from beating down Nathan since I didn't want to escalate the situation in the end.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Well, maybe not; there were those incriminating pictures of Nathan posing with Rachel Amber; calling the police would've almost certainly risked his own prosecution. If he was feeling so remorseful, though, he could've easily called the police and told them where to find the Dark Room and Max and likely catch Jefferson in flagrante delicto.

Either way, though, if Nathan knew Jefferson was coming for him, the circumstances in which he'd be able to call Max and yet not somehow evade a horrible death aren't too great in number.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
She should have gone back and killed the butterfly that flapped it's wings and made the storm.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sorry, you can't use time travel to fix time travel, unless you're using time travel to travel back and pretend that you never used time travel, in which case the universe will get confused and not tornado your town.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Time gravel sucks and is a terrible plot device

There, I said it

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

Yeah, my big problem with the ending was that the entire premise behind it's binary choice nature was totally unconvincing to me.

Oh, so the tornado was caused by me using my time powers? Why, exactly? Got any proof of that? No?

Quoting this from a few pages ago but... Dude the hud for your time rewinding power is a freaking spiral.

Let that sink in for a second.

(Still disliked the ending though)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Quoting this from a few pages ago but... Dude the hud for your time rewinding power is a freaking spiral.

That plus it really is supposed to be an overly literal "butterfly effect makes a storm"

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Let that sink in for a second.

(Still disliked the ending though)

If only Max had looked into the corner of the screen at least once during the game. It was floating right there, come on.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Max should have been Deadpool

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Max should have been Deadpool

You spelled Domino wrong.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Haven't looked at the LiS thread in a while, let's see how it's going.... :stonk: Holy poo poo, that turned from fairly good discussion of the ending to a real poo poo show

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Time gravel sucks and is a terrible plot device

There, I said it
I agree

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It still took me a second to realise :doh:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

given how much of an obsessed stalker Warren is, it would not surprise me if he'd done the opening of EoE in Max's room while she was sleeping

I've tried multiple times to catch warren doing this, but I haven't been able to. Does he run away when you jump near the window?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just finished it and it's easily in my top 3 for GOTY. I didn't like that the final choice makes all the helping you did meaningless, but I felt the choices presented were thematically appropriate. Would have been nice if helping people also somehow butterflied into more Arcadians surviving the storm, which I think would have been a decent compromise that doesn't make it look like using your abilities to help people is ultimately bad.

Thoughts:

My first instinct when I got to the storm scene was to immediately look for Alyssa. Also, it's hilarious that not saving her from various minor mishaps in the first four chapters leads to her demise.

Regardless of the impact of your choices, I would really appreciate an epilogue where we see what's up with all the characters other than them attending a funeral of someone I didn't even realize they knew.

Missed opportunity to have Lisa send you a text in the nightmare if you let her die.

I am going to buy this loving vampire game because Dontnod has earned it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Nothing you did was meaningless in that sense. The game is about the development of the character of Max after all. Even if the changes in a timeline disappeared, all the decisions done, all the information gained, all the interaction done still exist in Max and helped forming her from the insecure, shy girl, that would not speak up or even put her work on display entering the bathroom to the selfassured, secure woman that leaves the bathroom after Chloe is shot at the end of the game (assuming you chose the right ending). The Max leaving the bathroom won't think David is a bully, knows Victoria is insecure, that Kate needs help, that Taylor worries about her mother, knows that Frank is not a total rear end in a top hat etc. She won't hesitate to put her work out for all to see. She can still make the connections she made before, maybe even better than before. Most important: She won't water Lisa every day, but every second day, saving yet another life!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
That is not the right ending.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Decius posted:

Nothing you did was meaningless in that sense. The game is about the development of the character of Max after all. Even if the changes in a timeline disappeared, all the decisions done, all the information gained, all the interaction done still exist in Max and helped forming her from the insecure, shy girl, that would not speak up or even put her work on display entering the bathroom to the selfassured, secure woman that leaves the bathroom after Chloe is shot at the end of the game (assuming you chose the right ending). The Max leaving the bathroom won't think David is a bully, knows Victoria is insecure, that Kate needs help, that Taylor worries about her mother, knows that Frank is not a total rear end in a top hat etc. She won't hesitate to put her work out for all to see. She can still make the connections she made before, maybe even better than before. Most important: She won't water Lisa every day, but every second day, saving yet another life!

No, she won't know any of that.

Whenever Max pulls a "Focus" timeline change, the version of her "left behind" to live out the timeline up to the point where she jumped back does so with none of the meta-knowledge that Max had that lead her to make the change in the first place. She even tells Chloe as much: "In a few minutes I won't remember any of this, you'll have to convince me". So for the entire week, she'd still resent Victoria, still not know how to handle Kate, still not give a poo poo about Taylor, MAYBE might not think David is a bully (though he still is), until midday Friday when suddenly those memories snap back into her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Decius posted:

Nothing you did was meaningless in that sense. The game is about the development of the character of Max after all.

This game is about a young woman developing crushing PTSD that she will never be able to talk to a therapist about if she doesn't want to be locked up in a padded room for life.

• Locked thread