Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

The Iron Rose posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but I identify as a democrat and like FPTP so I'm literally the Great Satan

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Identifying as a Democrat is OK, really only LFian Marxoteens like me would whine, but there's not very much going for FPTP besides it being simple.

It's guaranteed to create two parties or only regional third parties at best, a majority of votes can and often do end up wasted, and voting against rather than for just ruins anyone's sense their voice is heard.

If there are literally only two possible choices like yes or no, it works, otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

greatn posted:

Oklahoma Mayor apologizes as her husband dresses as a KKK member for Halloween.

http://ow.ly/U8QiK

I'm eagerly awaiting the annual post-Halloween wave of influential and powerful people stupid enough to believe wearing blackface is OK.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

greatn posted:

He should go as blackface MLK next year, to even things out.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

botany posted:

Yeah no, this is so hilarious you actually need to quote the whole thing, sorry.

Sounds more like they had a Klan meeting and got caught and needed a cover story.

"No we aren't Klansmen we were just dressed as ghosts and fire curing these two perpendicular sticks"

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
It's not a cross, its a lowercase T which stands for Trick or Treat

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, no, no. It was an ironic Klan cross burning. Suuuuuuuuure.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

foobardog posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Identifying as a Democrat is OK, really only LFian Marxoteens like me would whine, but there's not very much going for FPTP besides it being simple.

It's guaranteed to create two parties or only regional third parties at best, a majority of votes can and often do end up wasted, and voting against rather than for just ruins anyone's sense their voice is heard.

If there are literally only two possible choices like yes or no, it works, otherwise?

FPTP promotes moderation in politics, and limits the range of acceptable political ideologies in a given system. It's why, say, UKIP isn't more popular. It screws fringe leftist/rightist parties and generally produces either two or three mostly centrist parties.

Which is great, the entire system is build upon slow, moderate change in one direction or another and I have no problem with more radical candidates being effectively shut out of the political process.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Radish posted:

Feeling bad for Steele is like feeling bad for Boehnor because he has to deal with the Tea Party. Don't. Strip out all the horrible social conservative stuff and they are still trying to regress the country to a pre-FDR standard for labor where children have to work in schools if they can't afford meals and you can fire a woman for being pregnant since that affects your bottom line.

Having someone who can at least be somewhat reasoned and bargained with is a good thing even if they are against basic parts of your platform.

Yes, never stop pressing the issue towards the right solution rather than the politely expedient, but if you can get something that can help people now go for it.

Admittedly, the Republicans trending back to 90s west coast Republicans is still not placing them in a good place, but it's a poo poo ton better than fanatics burning poo poo to the ground.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Iron Rose posted:

FPTP promotes moderation in politics, and limits the range of acceptable political ideologies in a given system. It's why, say, UKIP isn't more popular. It screws fringe leftist/rightist parties and generally produces either two or three mostly centrist parties.

Which is great, the entire system is build upon slow, moderate change in one direction or another and I have no problem with more radical candidates being effectively shut out of the political process.

This is all well and good until you have the modern Republican Party as one of your two "moderate" parties.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

quote:

Cary Sharp told the station he and others they thought it would be funny to sit in a circle and suck each other off.

"Sit around the bonfire and drink a couple of beers and thought well my buddy his last name is Gay and the subject got brung (sic) up. We just thought it'd be something to do and it's not something to do," Cary Sharp said. "I am embarrassed. I've shamed my family and friends and I apologize for that."

quote:

Cary Sharp told the station he and others they thought it would be funny to load a revolver and play russian roulette.

"Sit around the bonfire and drink a couple of beers and thought well my buddy his last name is Luck and the subject got brung (sic) up. We just thought it'd be something to do and it's not something to do," Cary Sharp said. "I am embarrassed. I've shamed my family and friends and I apologize for that."

quote:

Cary Sharp told the station he and others they thought it would be funny to buy gas canisters and exterminate some Jews.

"Sit around the bonfire and drink a couple of beers and thought well my buddy his last name is Hitler and the subject got brung (sic) up. We just thought it'd be something to do and it's not something to do," Cary Sharp said. "I am embarrassed. I've shamed my family and friends and I apologize for that."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Enos Shenk posted:

This supposed KKK leak is just bizarre. I live in Ft. Wayne Indiana, and 2 of the names on there live here. I could totally believe it of Dan Coats, the guy is a Grade A piece of poo poo. But Mayor Tom Henry is a democrat and doesn't seem to be a shitlord at all.

But if someone faked it, why the hell would they decide to stick the mayor of a 300,000 population city on there? It's weird.

But if it ends up being true, the fallout locally will be impressive as hell to watch.

Without some of the people on the list admitting to and/or screaming denials about their presence on the list, I'm not sure there's a way to confirm or deny the names on the list as of right now. I'd imagine larger news orgs will probably dive into the list or pull some connections with actual KKK members (undercover or otherwise) to check if the list is real. As of right now, it's not legit, but it's probably also not not legit.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Funny I posted my call for moderation right after, but there's a lot to be said for the necessity of radical voices to drive the conversation in that direction.

If those are stamped out, you basically get a lazy political class who have no major differences on policy and require extreme measures to result in changes.

It's why America always does the right thing only after it's tried everything else.

Plus from a voter standpoint, feeling like you're throwing your vote away is killer for participation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Politics junkies are more interested in the Mississippi Attorney General race.

Incumbent Jim Hood is the last Democrat holding state-wide office in the entire deep South.

Oh goddam, I knew it was bad in my state but I didn't realize it was *that* bad across the board. I really am on a sinking ship aren't I?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trabisnikof posted:

Just a Halloween Prank here, nothing racist or sinister about it!

It's a harmless joke! Just like when James O'Keefe wire tapped a sitting senator's office.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Yah, but isn't voting for Hillary like electing your hillbilly drunken grandmaw President?

YAEHAW, MAW KETTLE FOR PREZZIDENT!

E:Cuz Arkansaw, maaan. Kinda like Squidbillies. Earl = Bill Clinton.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 2, 2015

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

greatn posted:

There's a bit in one of Penn Jillette's books where he decides to be all anti commercial for Halloween one year and makes a 'ghost' costume for himself by cutting eye holes in a sheet Charlie Brown style and doesn't look at himself in a mirror until he arrives at his daughter's school and has the staff staring at him in absolute horror. Then he finally notices...

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

There's a bit in one of Penn Jillette's books where he decides to be all anti commercial for Halloween one year and makes a 'ghost' costume for himself by cutting eye holes in a sheet Charlie Brown style and doesn't look at himself in a mirror until he arrives at his daughter's school and has the staff staring at him in absolute horror. Then he finally notices...
Was he also wearing a dunce cap at the time or is his head just naturally pointy?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lessig admits that he would need a time machine to qualify for the debates and suspends his campaign. :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IsqmMqCEo

He should have run an earlier campaign promising to create a time machine because then, when he was elected, it just would have happened.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

greatn posted:

When they have votes in Alabama legislature it doesn't even break down as democrat vs Republican anymore. It's black vs white. The few white democrats remaining just vote with the Republicans.

And those Democrats likely have their days numbered as White=GOP Black= Democrats becomes more entrenched.

It makes gerrymandering interesting. The usual cover given is that drawing boundaries based on party is (for some goddamn reason) OK. That becomes less defensible as party affiliation becomes nearly completely divided based upon race.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any traction behind the anonymous leaks? Dan Coats was listed as a possible KKK member and yet I have heard next to nothing in response to such a startling revelation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

And those Democrats likely have their days numbered as White=GOP Black= Democrats becomes more entrenched.

It makes gerrymandering interesting. The usual cover given is that drawing boundaries based on party is (for some goddamn reason) OK. That becomes less defensible as party affiliation becomes nearly completely divided based upon race.

It's endemic to the South and it creates a situation where it even behooves the Dems to maintain the gerrymandered status quo for fear of losing their seats as opposed to trying to fight and shave away at some of the Republican districts as the cost of potentially risking their own.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Spiffster posted:

Is there any traction behind the anonymous leaks? Dan Coats was listed as a possible KKK member and yet I have heard next to nothing in response to such a startling revelation.

No news organization is going to run a story with that accusation based on an anonymous internet post, so unless there's independent verification don't expect much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's a safe bet that any old white man is a KKK member.

e; fixt

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

No news organization is going to run a story with that accusation based on an anonymous internet post, so unless there's independent verification don't expect much.

Then what was the point in releasing something that can just be hand waved away so easily? Anon usually does a better job then this when they do have their mind set to do something. This just seems a little off and somewhat pointless.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Joementum posted:

Counterpoint: Ashley Madison hacks, so...

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Raerlynn posted:

Counterpoint: Ashley Madison hacks, so...
That had a lot of identifiable information beyond just names and emails, though. We're talking credit card numbers and billing addresses that match the individuals in question, which are much harder to fake.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Then what was the point in releasing something that can just be hand waved away so easily? Anon usually does a better job then this when they do have their mind set to do something. This just seems a little off and somewhat pointless.

Anonymous is, obviously, loosely organized, and has no real control over the name. Any jackanape can claim they are doing its work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “The main thing I would say is that nothing’s free. If someone offers you something for free, treat it as if they’re offering you heroin and think about the repercussions of what is free and what is a drug, an addicting drug like heroin and the ramifications of that. There’s nothing free. It just means somebody else is gonna pay for it, you don’t see them. So the plumber, the welder, the carpenter, the people who don’t go to college are being asked to pay for your education.” ~ Rand Paul, on public education.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
My god he's right, I'm addicted.... to education!!!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “The main thing I would say is that nothing’s free. If someone offers you something for free, treat it as if they’re offering you heroin and think about the repercussions of what is free and what is a drug, an addicting drug like heroin and the ramifications of that. There’s nothing free. It just means somebody else is gonna pay for it, you don’t see them. So the plumber, the welder, the carpenter, the people who don’t go to college are being asked to pay for your education.” ~ Rand Paul, on public education.

Shut up Rand.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Shut up Rand.

No no no,please let him keep talking. Just so long as someone has a mic or camera that is.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*scratches arm* hey...hey man. you got a book? it doesn't have to be too heady, just a few chapters to get me through the day

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Joementum posted:

This just in, Rand Paul hates freedom.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Louisvillian here. I'm utterly terrified about the election tomorrow because literally no one I know is even aware of it. Conway's campaign did something really smart and posted huge "VOTE!" signs in the most liberal strongholds (I.e. Bardstown Rd), but otherwise, I got one reminder from the ground game and I'm not even 100% convinced it wasn't just some guy in the neighborhood and not a campaign volunteer.

I've got a really bad feeling about this. I hope people are right about Kentucky being demmycrat territory, but after the Kim Davis shitshow, I just don't know.

Joementum posted:

I wonder what the first five minutes sounded like.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My god he's right, I'm addicted.... to education!!!
Psst, hey - I got maths, I got sciences, I got foreign languages. What you need.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Joementum posted:

So he's saying churches are heroin pushers?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't a truly liberated job market blur the line between skilled labor and intellectual labor? Like engineers who get their hands dirty. Seems like a good argument for carte blanche education. Get certified as plumber/electrician to make some money out of high school - study hydraulics or whatever and learn how to build more sophisticated things at your own pace.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Xelkelvos posted:

So he's saying churches are heroin pushers?

Worse, he's a heroin pusher himself.

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/05/27/rand-paul-eye-surgery-ophthalmologist/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Lessig admits that he would need a time machine to qualify for the debates and suspends his campaign. :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IsqmMqCEo

He should have run an earlier campaign promising to create a time machine because then, when he was elected, it just would have happened.

Larry Lessig gives new meaning to the term "Harvard Professor" slimier to the way Ben Carson gives a new meaning to "brain surgeon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

40% of all upcoming book signings at Costcos nationwide are Dr. Ben Carson: http://m.costco.com/author-signings.html

• Locked thread