Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

I don't think alcohol had any effect on anyone before the upcoming version.

E. Except the happiness
Well, you could grab a handful of dwarven beer or any other beverage and beat a person to death with it in adventure mode. It was one of the sillier ways to murder someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

program666 posted:

Maybe I'm understanding the question wrong but a 64 bit program could theoretically run faster than a 32 bit one (and use more than 4 GB of ram but that's besides the point I guess)
Depends on how much of DF is memory bound vs cpu-bound and/or how much caching Toady adds to take advantage of the extra process space. But my guess is "not that likely to be faster".

scamtank posted:

so uh what did the 64-bit thing mean again
It'll be able to gobble up all the ram in your PC instead of just 2GB. :v:
More importantly, it gives the game far more address space. This is a bit complex but basically every resource, even ones that aren't actively in RAM (ie. paged out) consumes address space and if you run out it's about as bad or worse than running out of RAM (because HDD can sub for RAM via swap, but address space is the hard cap). Less crashes! Maybe!

program666 posted:

it's kind of funny that he mentions a skeletal DF though, I would guess you just need to change some parameters during compilation and check if anything breaks. My entire OS is compiled for 64 bits, including stuff like firefox, which is probably not even tested by the developers and it just works.
The main issue I can think of is that you're changing the size of pointers, which can and will wreck data structure packing and/or cause Super Fun buffer overruns or other stuff I haven't thought about (I try to avoid C++). Also if Toady purposely or accidentally coded something that just happens to work in 32-bit and not in 64-bit. Stuff like assuming ints are the same size as pointers or packing flags into unused pointer bits or other shady stuff.

axelsoar posted:

Lets it run native in a 64-bit operating system instead of a 32-bit emulation, and more importantly, lets the program utilize more than 4(ish)GB of your RAM.
I don't believe 32bit emu is much of a problem speed-wise tho?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Excelzior posted:

technically, dungeon masters wore nothing but cloaks so the image is accurate, but the text overlay isn't.
Cloaks, boots, and a mask, as I recall.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Kyte posted:

Depends on how much of DF is memory bound vs cpu-bound and/or how much caching Toady adds to take advantage of the extra process space. But my guess is "not that likely to be faster".

yeah, going from 32 to 64 bit was never reported as a huge speed upgrade, but now I realize I never looked for benchmarks testing this, I'll look for this stuff when I'm off work

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Kyte posted:

The main issue I can think of is that you're changing the size of pointers, which can and will wreck data structure packing and/or cause Super Fun buffer overruns or other stuff I haven't thought about (I try to avoid C++). Also if Toady purposely or accidentally coded something that just happens to work in 32-bit and not in 64-bit. Stuff like assuming ints are the same size as pointers or packing flags into unused pointer bits or other shady stuff.
Yeah I guess it's possible, I just remembered that 32 emulation is a thing on my 64-bit compiled gentoo, and it probably only uses 64 bit when the program explicitly supports it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kyte posted:

It'll be able to gobble up all the ram in your PC instead of just 2GB. :v:
More importantly, it gives the game far more address space. This is a bit complex but basically every resource, even ones that aren't actively in RAM (ie. paged out) consumes address space and if you run out it's about as bad or worse than running out of RAM (because HDD can sub for RAM via swap, but address space is the hard cap). Less crashes! Maybe!

I don't believe 32bit emu is much of a problem speed-wise tho?

Yeah, Toady has a lot of dangerous low-level stuff like using a nibble to store fluid data for a tile, which I imagine will fail catastrophically when compiling in 64 bit. Also, his code is a mix of C and C++, which I'm sure leads to all sorts of Fun. Makes me glad I code in C#.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Malcolm posted:

This is like when Toady revealed that dwarves had accidentally been made cat-sized for years and years of development.

There has to be more to this :catstare:

also are there any hilarious dev logs besides the geese laying iron thrones and something about boiling clouds of dwarf fat

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

KillHour posted:

Yeah, Toady has a lot of dangerous low-level stuff like using a nibble to store fluid data for a tile, which I imagine will fail catastrophically when compiling in 64 bit. Also, his code is a mix of C and C++, which I'm sure leads to all sorts of Fun. Makes me glad I code in C#.

To be fair to him, he's a mathematician first and programmer second, and he mostly learns from his mistakes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soho Joe posted:

There has to be more to this :catstare:

Long story short, a baby dwarf would only grow in size exactly on the exact minute of his birthday.

The fortress mode clock doesn't track every single minute of activity

Because of that, your natural-born dwarves would have about a 90+% chance of staying at baby size for their entire lives.

It's very difficult to see a creature's size directly - people found out about this by using DFhack to check each dwarf's blood volume.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Also, domestic animals are all enormous only because the stat screen adds up some anatomy stuff all wrong - they've been entirely the right size all this time

I only figured it out because there was a distinct "end result of all this body shape modification nonsense" value in memory that didn't seem to match the description

scamtank fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 29, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I forget. Were Dwarven martial arts mentioned before this update?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Not as such, but when Toady started figuring out how culture forms get generated, he mentioned offhand that the poetry generator is "probably the most analogous to what were were planning with combat styles. I didn't expect this to come before those, but it did."

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Tunicate posted:

It's very difficult to see a creature's size directly - people found out about this by using DFhack to check each dwarf's blood volume.

Tunicate posted:

people found out about this by using DFhack to check each dwarf's blood volume.

Tunicate posted:

blood volume.

Oh Toady.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Used to calculate bleeding out. Actually pretty drat important in combat.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And that's why Dwarf Fortress is one of the best games in existence.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can't wait to build a actual tavern where dwarves drink and sing and be powergay beyond belief, i hope Toady implements even deeper party mechanics. There should be inebriation mechanics and angry drunks.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Also this should be a actual option in the military and you have to fill their backpacks to the brim with alcohol to make them fight properly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What do you think a martial trance is?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

skasion posted:

What do you think a martial trance is?

DWARVEN

ANGER

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think you're thinking of a marital trance

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm on in the game!

program666 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 30, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Welp, time to pack up everyone, dwarf fortress is officially finished. Next release is 1.0.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Literally shaking.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Urist McTumblr has been sad lately. He couldn't even lately.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Loyalty cascades involving animalman rights.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Excelzior posted:

Urist McTumblr has been sad lately. He couldn't even lately.

Urist has penned a tome, "Friend-ism: These pro-social shitlords pushing their agenda on xme."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do races in Dwarf Fortress have their own obscenities? They totally should.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nothing too creative, but they do have words for "anus"

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
"Initiate Countdown!"

Bay12Games Patreon posted:

We've gone from 82 dev items in September to the last 14 now. Everything slows down a bit here, more over release paranoia than anything to do with the crunchiness of the individual items. Here's the complete list, in no particular order (there won't be any surprise additions from here on):

(*) clean up some stuff with personality needs (mainly polishing off adventurer arguments over values)

(*) go through some more non-dwarf item code testing in the fort

(*) let long-term residents bug you a bit if you aren't holding up your end of arrangements

(*) tavern reputation improvements/indications

(*) allow diplomats and bandits to visit your tavern (merchants are harder due to old code, will probably skip)

(*) clean up conflicts with meetings/witness reports and the new time-off mechanics

(*) improve spectator text (again...)

(*) improve performance text (again...)

(*) rumor display (maps perhaps, though if that falls through we might skip)

(*) payment as bard (or something, it's hard in the current framework)

(*) position as bard (as above)

(*) a few minor improvements to musical form descriptions

(*) more distinctions in individual composition as opposed to form (it'll still be very sparse for now)

(*) test passing incident rumors by song, in particular changing non-art reputations by lyrical content

As these are finished, we'll be polishing up bugs that crop up and worrying over other release issues. Hopefully we can get this done soon!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
this guys living the dwarven dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxcftjJ39BU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Nothing too creative, but they do have words for "anus"

I guess they could take their god's name in vain.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

This is a masterful engraving of waves.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gus Hobbleton posted:

This is a yak wool sweater. On it is a covering of vomit. In the vomit is the remnants of ☼mom's spaghetti☼

From pages back, but I just wanted to point out that I got this joke. :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm proud of you

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

So I've only been following this thread recently and have probably missed earlier important things.

Stuff I want to know:

-Does the new release ostensibly have a fix for the "unplayable lag in any biome that includes trees" problem?
-Does the new release ostensibly reintroduce dwarven economy?
-Does the new release ostensibly have a fix for the "invasion parties can't path well over the world map and so will rarely if ever hit your settlement"?

Thanks bunches

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

So I've only been following this thread recently and have probably missed earlier important things.

Stuff I want to know:

-Does the new release ostensibly have a fix for the "unplayable lag in any biome that includes trees" problem?
-Does the new release ostensibly have a fix for the "invasion parties can't path well over the world map and so will rarely if ever hit your settlement"?

Thanks bunches

I can't recall any of those getting mentioned no.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

I can't say give a strong answer for the first and third questions, but I believe Toady has said that re-implementing the economy isn't viable until the "fortress starting scenarios" part of the development page is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

drat. I want to start playing again but I am incredibly bad and wood is my crutch, so having trees murder my framerate is eminently undesirable.