Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

this story about an aging lit professor coming to terms with his mortality?

Name a book where that happens

In other news, Sunday Book Review decided to ask Knausgaard to review Houellebecq and the results are hilarious

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
of the ones i've read recently: wonder boys, i guess. ot is this a trick question, because you can't ever come to terms with your mortality?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
a country dinosaur's notebook

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In other news, Sunday Book Review decided to ask Knausgaard to review Houellebecq and the results are hilarious

it reads like he's basically one of the guys houellebecq is satirising

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you might say he ain't no Houllebecq girl :D

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you might say he ain't no Houllebecq girl :D

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Burning Rain posted:

of the ones i've read recently: wonder boys, i guess. ot is this a trick question, because you can't ever come to terms with your mortality?

Its just kind of obnoxious because everytime someone criticizes literary fiction its always "college professor is depressed and sleeps with his student blah blah" and these books are a super rarity. Literary fiction is diverse and exciting and its tedious to hear people dismiss because they have this weird "ew english majors" loathing of it.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

how many of you are doing nanorimo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

nah no nanorimo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

nah no nanorimo

be the change you want in the literary world

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

be the change you want in the literary world

I am already planning to bomb a scifi convention what more do you want from me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Writing is for fail idiots

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm doing nanoremo.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Bone Clocks has an aging lit professor coming to terms with his mortality and body hopping wizards who shoot physic lasers out of their chakra eyes and a :krad: magic mumbogooblyjumbogook blowout climax.

The Bone Clocks is the book that made me realize I don't really like David Mitchell much anymore. Then Slade House sealed the deal.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stoner, by John Williams.

Super depressing. Read it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Moacher posted:

The Bone Clocks is the book that made me realize I don't really like David Mitchell much anymore. Then Slade House sealed the deal.

I read Cloud Atlas earlier this year and was kind of like "is this it?"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
David Mitchell seems like a really great technical writer but Cloud Atlas and The Bone Clocks were way too sterile for me.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Black Swan Green is my favorite David Mitchell, it's about a young British kid aging and coming to terms with puberty. No supernatural silliness, just a good book.

Dresden Files is fun and sometimes you want to watch Jurassic Park instead of The Seventh Seal and That's Alright.

Stoner and Wonder Boys are really good aging lit professor books but Humboldt's Gift was a really bad one (although it's a poet and instead of sleeping with a student he has an Exotic Woman From Another Country Who Uses His Foot To Get Herself Off and Also She's a Gold-Digging Vixen Who Doesn't Appreciate His Genius)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chamberk posted:

Humboldt's Gift was a really bad one (although it's a poet and instead of sleeping with a student he has an Exotic Woman From Another Country Who Uses His Foot To Get Herself Off and Also She's a Gold-Digging Vixen Who Doesn't Appreciate His Genius)

To be fair Saul Bellow is a fraud

EDIT: Seriously gently caress Humboldt's Gift

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 2, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
thanks for the rec, i should read it soon

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Exit Ghost is 100% aging literary figure coming to terms with own mortality. It owns.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Thoughts on Umberto Eco? About 2/3 of the way through the Name of the Rose so far and finding the story pretty gripping even though all the Latin and purple prose thrown in is mildly irritating. I do love, love historical fiction though and so might tackle some of his other novels after this.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair Saul Bellow is a fraud

EDIT: Seriously gently caress Humboldt's Gift

I think some of the writing is super great and some of the issues he tries to tackle are interesting but yeah his view of women was super lovely.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Chamberk posted:

Stoner and Wonder Boys are really good aging lit professor books but Humboldt's Gift was a really bad one (although it's a poet and instead of sleeping with a student he has an Exotic Woman From Another Country Who Uses His Foot To Get Herself Off and Also She's a Gold-Digging Vixen Who Doesn't Appreciate His Genius)

Disgrace is really good lit professor lit and Coetzee is a really good author and Waiting for the Barbarians is a really good fantasy-ish book and should be required reading for everyone who thinks real literature is Hard To Read.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

High Warlord Zog posted:

Disgrace is really good lit professor lit and Coetzee is a really good author and Waiting for the Barbarians is a really good fantasy-ish book and should be required reading for everyone who thinks real literature is Hard To Read.

Technically, he was a Communications Skills professor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

White Noise is close but he is a professor in Hitler studies and not lit.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'd say gently caress Bellow but before I read Humboldt, I read Augie March, which was actually really really good.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guy A. Person posted:

there's no difference. (the toxic cloud is modernity)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

John Banville writes a lot about people coming to terms with mortality but I still like him

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Guy A. Person posted:

The Tunnel is also about a Hitler studies guy, but it's not about aging but coming to terms with how much he hates his wife.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 3, 2015

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Just finished The Name of the Rose because of this thread and now I'm starting Focault's Pendulum, is there anything I should know before diving in? Also does anyone know where I can find all the chapter headers translated or should I just learn the 10 or so languages that Eco pulls quotes from?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Just finished The Name of the Rose because of this thread and now I'm starting Focault's Pendulum, is there anything I should know before diving in? Also does anyone know where I can find all the chapter headers translated or should I just learn the 10 or so languages that Eco pulls quotes from?
Most versions of that book I've encountered have them translated in the back. Anyway, no, you don't really need to know anything on your first read, just be warned that what's generally considered the story of the book starts about halfway through so you might have to endure a bit to get there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I should probably read The Name of the Rose. Someone seems to bring that book up on every page. Its like there is an Eco in here.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

boo, gently caress your puns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

:v:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's obviously Stoner dude.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I consider myself pretty eco-friendly, but I still haven't read any of his books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

I consider myself pretty eco-friendly, but I still haven't read any of his books

Yeah he has a very special way of combining cultural and literary ideas into new interpretations. It's very unique to him. You could almost call it Eco-logical

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Does his writing have any instructional qualities? I'd read it for good Eco-gnomic sense.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was just reading about this University in Italy that is already consolidating his notes and drafts for posterity. After he dies they want it to be the premiere Eco location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If you guys were pros you'd use umberto in a pun