Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I didn't expect conservatives to come out against the concept of intelligent tool-use, but if you're going to be a throwback you might as well go all the way to the australopithecines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Marco Rubio announced that if the Climate is changing, then we should do nothing to stop it as obviously that is what god wants.
If that's the case then it doesn't take a huge leap to argue that climate scientists are agents of the devil trying to subvert god's plan. Climate science is literally the work of the devil.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TACD posted:

If that's the case then it doesn't take a huge leap to argue that climate scientists are agents of the devil trying to subvert god's plan. Climate science is literally the work of the devil.

Seeing how some people believe God buried the dinosaur bones just to test our faith, and that paleontology is the devil's work so yeah, wouldn't surprise me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone think the ExxonMobil news deserves its own thread?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TACD posted:

Actually some people do believe that. Doesn't matter what the numbers say; the Bible says the Earth doesn't change so it can't get hotter. If temperatures are higher than average it's just a temporary thing that will go away because this rock just does that sometimes so drill baby, drill.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone think the ExxonMobil news deserves its own thread?

What news?

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

With thanksgiving around the corner, what's the best response to a dumb relative spewing FOX climate arguments and full denial. I've used the DOD's Climate Change Adaptation Road Map while asking, why would the military plan for its inevitability if it were fictional? I've had some ok success ending the crazy uncle spewing nonsense by having him choose if the infallible military is wrong about their assessment of risk or it's all made up. Any tips?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Junkyard Poodle posted:

With thanksgiving around the corner, what's the best response to a dumb relative spewing FOX climate arguments and full denial. I've used the DOD's Climate Change Adaptation Road Map while asking, why would the military plan for its inevitability if it were fictional? I've had some ok success ending the crazy uncle spewing nonsense by having him choose if the infallible military is wrong about their assessment of risk or it's all made up. Any tips?

The best response is silence. Trust me, you'll never convince these people.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best response is silence. Trust me, you'll never convince these people.
The crazy uncle is likely a lost cause, but when you engage him with well-sourced rebuttals and pointed questions of your own your real targets are the other family members who see his posts and are still on the fence.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Banana Man posted:

What news?

The newest is ExxonMobil lost 47% of it's earnings? idgi either boohoo we earned only 4 loving billion dollars this quarter

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Real Foogla posted:

The newest is ExxonMobil lost 47% of it's earnings? idgi either boohoo we earned only 4 loving billion dollars this quarter

They'll lobby themselves into a government subsidy.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Silence would be best, but isn't really an option because by his 4th drink, he'll be spewing fox "just saying"s and mentioning the weak administration. He's a vocal force of dumb. I know I won't change his mind, but I'd like to give the rest of the family point to consider.

Junkyard Poodle fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 2, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Silence would be best, but isn't really an option because by his 4th drink, he'll be spewing fox "just saying"s and mentioning the weak administration. He's a vocal force of dumb. I know I won't change his mind, but I'd like to give the rest of the family point to consider.

Well I'd get even more drunk and yell even dumber things. You know, hold a mirror up and see how he likes how he looks.

"Well no black person has ever said they aren't actually Martian lizard people here to collect our welfare and are using mind control to get it and some people are saying they are. Hey, nobody ever denied it and I'm just asking questions! *hic* gimme another."

"Some people are saying that Obama is actually a magical rock from Ganymede. He's never denied it. What are you hiding, Rockbama?!? Ever wonder why he's called ba-ROCK Obama?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Slightly related, but the guy who did the studies showing Fukushima's radiation is not a major risk is getting delightful death threats:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/canadian-researcher-targeted-by-hate-campaign-over-fukushima-findings/article27060613/

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Junkyard Poodle posted:

You just have to adopt his frame of reference. Using an authoritative source like the DOD which is acceptable from his perspective is necessary, but you also need an argument which fits within his ideological narrative. For example if he starts on about Obama's weakness agree with him, and make a point about how he's letting China surge ahead of America in solar and nuclear development. Why does America have to buy CHINESE solar panels? Why is BIG GOVERNMENT giving billions in subsidies to coal and oil companies?

In my experience the prerequisite for an open and honest discussion is the implicit belief everyone upholds the same values. It's when an opinion on an issue becomes a Rorschach test for ideology that debates become shouting matches. If you can make this conversation about the best tactics for Making America Great Again, you might at least keep him listening.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Slightly related, but the guy who did the studies showing Fukushima's radiation is not a major risk is getting delightful death threats:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/canadian-researcher-targeted-by-hate-campaign-over-fukushima-findings/article27060613/

I get death threats posting on this forum, is this really something to be scared of these days? Some 13 year old kid saying he's gonna kill you?

Also, how is this related at all?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Radbot posted:

I get death threats posting on this forum, is this really something to be scared of these days? Some 13 year old kid saying he's gonna kill you?

People shittalking you on a pseudonymous forum is different from getting threats through personal communications as a consequence of doing your job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Nuclear is one of the best ways to fight Climate Change, and eliminating bias against it using actual scientific claims goes a long way.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Nuclear is one of the best ways to fight Climate Change, and eliminating bias against it using actual scientific claims goes a long way.

OK, what's your plan?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Speaking of Nuclear, if they can actually build plants on schedule for once, they'll be able to keep the fleet size stable in the U.S.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/11/new-nuclear-plants-in-us-may-offset-the-planned-closures/

Luckily, nuclear isn't the only non-carbon emitting power technology and the others have been able to deliver on schedule with reducing costs. So all our eggs aren't in one basket.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
The other day, I stumbled across a pretty awesome video that covers the majority of the issues that our fossil fuel based society faces in the coming decades. Lots of detailed information presented in an entertaining, easy to understand format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg&feature=youtu.be

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Luckily, nuclear isn't the only non-carbon emitting power technology and the others have been able to deliver on schedule with reducing costs. So all our eggs aren't in one basket.

Like what other tech?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Like what other tech?

The cost per-kwh for wind and solar has been falling dramatically and likewise, wind and solar projects have a better record of completing on time than nuclear in the west.

Also, note what I originally said. Wind and solar are both "non-carbon emitting power technology that have been able to deliver on schedule with reducing costs," I in no way claimed them to be a panacea. In particular for climate, where the idea of electrifying transport globally in time is not realistic. Electricity is only one of many areas we need to be making strides as fast as we can.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mass gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet greater than losses, NASA study reports
http://phys.org/news/2015-10-mass-gains-antarctic-ice-sheet.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

An interesting note from that

quote:

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica's growth to reverse, according to Zwally. "If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they've been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years—I don't think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if there's some hemispheric localization going on with the warming, higher ratio of open ocean to populated land area and such.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Figured I'd post this here too, Indiegogo is now helping the Heritage Foundation raise funds to gently caress up the Paris climate talks:

http://www.sciencealert.com/indiegogo-is-helping-climate-change-deniers-raise-money-to-derail-paris-talks

quote:

Amid calls for Indiegogo to pull the campaign page down, the crowdfunding company has demurred, citing that Heartland’s effort to raise funds isn’t breaching any of Indiegogo’s terms of service.

“Indiegogo is an open platform, and as such, we accept all campaigns other than those that aim to raise money for illegal activities or those that would harm or promote offences against others,” a spokeswoman told Karl Mathiesen at The Guardian.

Riiiiiight. :jerkbag: They had no problem destroying Kim Davis' campaign after all the blowback they got from allowing the funding of other bigots, so I'm guessing if this becomes unpopular enough they'll find a way here as well.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 3, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Banana Man posted:

What news?

Are you joking? The news that ExxonMobile's head scientist presented its executives with in-house research showing 3 degrees of global warming due to carbon dioxide emissions in 1978.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mercury_Storm posted:

Figured I'd post this here too, Indiegogo is now helping the Heritage Foundation raise funds to gently caress up the Paris climate talks:

http://www.sciencealert.com/indiegogo-is-helping-climate-change-deniers-raise-money-to-derail-paris-talks

Riiiiiight. :jerkbag: They had no problem destroying Kim Davis' campaign after all the blowback they got from allowing the funding of other bigots, so I'm guessing if this becomes unpopular enough they'll find a way here as well.

The logic behind it is at least sound - it isn't discriminatory or related to a de jure crime. However, it's blatant political sabotage and as such they may want to be considering the ramifications of kickstarting that type of activity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

The cost per-kwh for wind and solar has been falling dramatically and likewise, wind and solar projects have a better record of completing on time than nuclear in the west.

Also, note what I originally said. Wind and solar are both "non-carbon emitting power technology that have been able to deliver on schedule with reducing costs," I in no way claimed them to be a panacea. In particular for climate, where the idea of electrifying transport globally in time is not realistic. Electricity is only one of many areas we need to be making strides as fast as we can.

But Solar is in no way ever going to replace on demand plants like Nuclear. It just uses way too much land for too little output.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

But Solar is in no way ever going to replace on demand plants like Nuclear. It just uses way too much land for too little output.

Solar or wind alone no. But remember my original point was "non-carbon emitting power technology that have been able to deliver on schedule with reducing costs" in that, right now we can be pretty clear that solar and wind projects can bring non-carbon electricity on the grid and that historically, the price to do for those two technologies have been dropping steadily. Right now, which is when we need to act, wind and solar are feasible (not every project, but at large).

But to discuss the challenge you raise: improvements in the grid, storage, conservation, status quo nuclear, and renewables (+biogas, biomass) mixed together is a technically and economically feasible solution that can replace a system where we focus our entire grid on making sure our huge expensive plants stay on all the time. It is also one that allows us to front-load renewables, reducing carbon from electricity as fast as we can.

If we lived in a different reality, where we could viable plan, license, build and bring online new site nuclear power in the US in the next 15 years and do so on time and on budget, an increased nuclear fleet would seem a vastly more realistic solution to me. But we really can't. Blame hippies, lack of academics, international labor unions, greedy contractors, regulated-to-safety, or whatever but we can't just wait a decade for new nuclear plants, we need to build as much of what we can build now. Which is wind and solar. Yes, its not a final solution, but it is a feasible pro-climate electricity technology that we can deploy now.

As always, I have to disclaimer that I have a rather U.S. centric knowledge, and I know that so much of energy is geographic and what works in the US wouldn't work globally.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Your Sledgehammer posted:

The other day, I stumbled across a pretty awesome video that covers the majority of the issues that our fossil fuel based society faces in the coming decades. Lots of detailed information presented in an entertaining, easy to understand format.

Sort of disappointed that this video entirely handwaved away breeder reactors as a failure neglecting to mention that said failures weren't technical but entirely political.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We're melting, what a world! What a world!

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-west-antarctic-ice-seas-meters.html

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you joking? The news that ExxonMobile's head scientist presented its executives with in-house research showing 3 degrees of global warming due to carbon dioxide emissions in 1978.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if anything else had come out. Seems like climate change related stuff is coming out much faster than can be kept track of these days.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Necc0 posted:

Sort of disappointed that this video entirely handwaved away breeder reactors as a failure neglecting to mention that said failures weren't technical but entirely political.

Yeah, the video really shortchanges some of the alternative energy sources and just doesn't spend enough time on them in general. However, I felt that it ultimately didn't detract from the overall point that nearly any energy source we can come up with is going to be subject to some kind of limitation eventually, while our behavior and general historical trajectory assumes infinite growth.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Some minor nitpicks. They're conflating economic growth with growth in energy/resource consumption which is contrary to observed trends in modern economies. They also mention urban populations as a result of cheap energy which isn't really true. The suburbs were created with, and is sustained by, cheap energy - cities thrived well before fossil fuel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The suburbs are unequivocally a result of cheap energy (both electricity and transportation fuel) and it's incredibly ignorant to claim it's the densely-populated urban centers that waste energy and not the thin-spread SFR sprawl that have metastasized over the last 50-60 years or so.

gently caress, the transportation differences alone are enough to know that's wrong as hell. This is like the "condoms have holes big enough to let HIV through" bullshit. It's so laughable you basically have to trade in the most gullible or unaware population segments in order to get anyone's attention.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shrike82 posted:

This sounds about right and somewhat matches with GRACE, but notice that their observation window ends in 2008. Recent GRACE data has pointed to slight ice mass losses over the very recent past.

The main point in these studies to the public should be that the amounts of ice in either direction (whether they are gaining mass or losing mass) is minuscule. Tenths of a millimeter (thousandths of an inch) per year. Has 0 impact on anyone.

Greenland is definitely melting at an above zero rate according to GRACE, but even that melt rate is extraordinarily slow and unlikely to contribute meaningfully to sea level rise any time this century (maybe ~2 inches by 2100). NYT did a story on Greenland the other day entitled "Greenland is Melting Away" which probably gave the uninitiated the impression that the collapse of that ice sheet was imminent in the next few decades. They buried the lede that the scientists that the article was about did not have data yet lol.

Honestly, I think you'd need to be ignorant of basic world events to describe that video as awesome.

It is just flat out wrong on oil usage/supply (oil supply is growing and demand weakening, leading to massive price decreases), wrong on food supply (humanity is making more food on less land AND more food per human, and that trend is unlikely to stop), and wrong on renewables (which are seeing explosive growth and efficiency gains). Just to highlight one facet of the video, it describes US electricity consumption in 2007 as 48.6% coal, 21.5% natural gas, and 2.5% other renewables. In a mere 7 years, the 2014 number was 39% coal, 27% natural gas, and 7% other renewables. That is a huge change in a small amount of time.

As ever, the fatal flaw of Malthusian predictions is the expectation that human ingenuity and invention will cease or be inert (this has never been true, ever, in fact it is accelerating with the aid of computers). Worse, it derides the solution -- technological advancement/efficiency gains, both of which fuel economic growth -- as part of the problem. We're not going to have an oil-based economy for very much longer, another generation or two. It is simply too inefficient, and humans are way too smart to keep using it. Peak oil, or any of its "the end is near!" cousins, are legit embarrassing beliefs to hold.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 3, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Radbot posted:

It turns out self declared greens can be just as dumb and dishonest as the average Drill Baby Drill moron and are making an attempt at being just as dangerously stupid as well. See also: genetic engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Trabisnikof posted:

But to discuss the challenge you raise: improvements in the grid, storage, conservation, status quo nuclear, and renewables (+biogas, biomass) mixed together is a technically and economically feasible solution that can replace a system where we focus our entire grid on making sure our huge expensive plants stay on all the time. It is also one that allows us to front-load renewables, reducing carbon from electricity as fast as we can.

If we lived in a different reality, where we could viable plan, license, build and bring online new site nuclear power in the US in the next 15 years and do so on time and on budget, an increased nuclear fleet would seem a vastly more realistic solution to me. But we really can't. Blame hippies, lack of academics, international labor unions, greedy contractors, regulated-to-safety, or whatever but we can't just wait a decade for new nuclear plants, we need to build as much of what we can build now. Which is wind and solar. Yes, its not a final solution, but it is a feasible pro-climate electricity technology that we can deploy now.

As always, I have to disclaimer that I have a rather U.S. centric knowledge, and I know that so much of energy is geographic and what works in the US wouldn't work globally.
Once again, the whole grid storage/smart grid thing is the choking point. Economical grid storage technology doesn't exist, and will not exist for the foreseeable future. Proven fission plants have existed for decades, and don't require us to re-engineer the entire grid. And I don't think anyone here really grasps what a huge deal that is. The grid, as a whole, is the biggest and most complicated machine on Earth. You can't just say "we'll fix it and it will be cool."

And without grid storage or a completely redesigned grid, it doesn't matter how cheap it is to install renewable capacity. Beyond a certain point, the capacity couldn't possibly be utilized.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 3, 2015

• Locked thread