Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Look Under The Rock posted:

If you're able to hit high notes: I believe in a thing called love by The Darkness
If you can't hit high notes but you can belt: Night Moves by Bob Seger
If you can't hit high notes or belt but you can yell and you're funny: Kick Some rear end by Stroke 9
If you can't hit high notes, belt, scream or be funny: idk why you're in a karaoke contest. Pick any of the following: Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne. Santeria by Sublime. Faithfully by Journey. Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. None of these are particularly hard to sing and you will probably have a few people singing along with you so they will cover up any badness.

Born to Run is a great karaoke song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CCKeane posted:

As a counter point, baseball is cool and good because you can be very fat and still successful.

You can be fat in all of the 4 major sports here. You can be a fat DH, a fat linebacker, a fat goalie or Shaquille O'Neal.

You can't be fat in soccer, though I'm sure some have tried.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

A few years ago, at college, my school had an event during finals called midnight breakfast. The professors would prepare and serve breakfast foods and milkshakes, and there would be a karaoke set up with a live band.

The songs were available ahead of time, and I noticed 99 Red Balloons was on there. My roommate at the time was taking classes in opera singing and could sing German, so I convinced him to do the German version. He recruited more people from his class, and after I argued briefly with the band, we got up there and performed the German version of 99 Red Balloons. It was a hit.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

You can be fat in all of the 4 major sports here. You can be a fat DH, a fat linebacker, a fat goalie or Shaquille O'Neal.

You can't be fat in soccer, though I'm sure some have tried.

Linebackers are strong fat not fat fat.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I love the German pronunciation of balloon. It's almost like ballon with a hard o. It's adorable.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I was wearing a heavy backpack i fell ovr and it got crushed under my pack and my body so close to 125 kilos

This is weird guyd its like i,m awake but slerping at thr same time

That's called nodding out and is normal with high doses of opiates. Make sure to stay hydrated.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to start buying books and movies that are likely to go out of print so when they do I can resell them for a profit.

What are some books or movies that you guys like, and are quality but won't get a reprinting?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I think I'm going to start buying books and movies that are likely to go out of print so when they do I can resell them for a profit.

What are some books or movies that you guys like, and are quality but won't get a reprinting?

There's this really niche series called Harry Potter that's probably going to get long in the tooth soon, I'd start there.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

There's this really niche series called Harry Potter that's probably going to get long in the tooth soon, I'd start there.

Thanks but i already invested in Harry Potter.

Got 100 copies of the entire series for 8,000 dollars

But really there are so many books and movies that I'd like to own and or watch and the only way to get them is 50+ dollar prices on amazon.

I just found out that my dvd copy of dawn of the dead is missing the DVD. When I bought it it was sold for 20 dollars. Now, 10 years later the same copy of that dvd sells for 65 dollars.

I have a book called war/photography that is a book about war photography. It's a pretty definitive book and is put out by an art museum. Most likely there won't be another printing after this one sells out. It sells for 90 dollars now. If I buy 100 that will cost me 9,000, but in 10 years when they're out of print they could easily sell for 200. Making me a profit of 11,000 dollars.

Magnus Gallant fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 2, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
There's this thing called the stock market which might make you more profit idk man

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

There's this thing called the stock market which might make you more profit idk man

Yeah but stocks aren't helpful to other humans.

There are many books that I want to own that I cannot because they're no longer for sale.

I can fill a market and help people out and also make a nice profit.

The stock market is for assholes who only care about money.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I feel like your opportunity cost would outweigh your profits.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I feel like your opportunity cost would outweigh your profits.

You mean storage, etc.?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

The stock market is for assholes who only care about money.

:(

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I mean you could probably make more money doing something else. Like let's use your museum book analogy; sure, 11K is nothing to spit at, but ignoring that your projections are totally hypothetical, that's still 11K after a 10+ year investment, which is not a lot at all.

I dunno I'm not a business person but I think this should just be an expensive hobby rather than an actual venture.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's not even 11k in profit. It's 2k in profit but it also doesn't take storage/overhead into consideration. So less than 2k in profit for a 10 year investment. Not a great return.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
lol I was curious also so I went to the inflation calculator:

$9000

in 2005

Has the same buying power as:

$10,965.21

in

lol

TMMadman posted:

It's not even 11k in profit. It's 2k in profit but it also doesn't take storage/overhead into consideration. So less than 2k in profit for a 10 year investment. Not a great return.

no it's 11K in profit (minus overhead), look at his math again. it's still not a good idea though eye-emm-aitch-oh.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 2, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's like investing in gold except you're a nerd instead of a pragmatist

It Is A Goon Thing

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

lol I was curious also so I went to the inflation calculator:

$9000

in 2005

Has the same buying power as:

$10,965.21

in

lol

no it's 11K in profit (minus overhead), look at his math again. it's still not a good idea though eye-emm-aitch-oh.

Yeah but I'd be buying at the 2005 price and selling for the 2015 price. I'd also be helping out people like myself who are wanting for books that are out of print

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scumlist = lists:filter(fun({Name,Alignment}) -> Alignment == scum end, Goons).

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yeah but I'd be buying at the 2005 price and selling for the 2015 price. I'd also be helping out people like myself who are wanting for books that are out of print

if you take inflation into consideration you make like $5000, not 11K. If you want to help other book lovers that's totally fine, but I'm just saying I wouldn't put a lot of capital into it, since your time and money would be more profitably spent elsewhere. but again I don't actually know business, I am a wastrel and numbers frighten and confuse me so I could easily be wrong.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

It's like investing in gold except you're a nerd instead of a pragmatist

It Is A Goon Thing

Never denied I was a nerd.

Say I bought ten copies of war/photography right now for 90 dollars.

That's 900 dollars.

In five years the book is no longer in print. I sell it for 190 dollars on Amazon. Minus whatever their fee is say 15% after five years I make a profit of 715 dollars.

The book weighs 20 lbs. 10 copies would fit in a large cardboard box I can get for free from work. I have plenty of extra space in my current living arrangements.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

if you take inflation into consideration you make like $5000, not 11K. If you want to help other book lovers that's totally fine, but I'm just saying I wouldn't put a lot of capital into it, since your time and money would be more profitably spent elsewhere. but again I don't actually know business, I am a wastrel and numbers frighten and confuse me so I could easily be wrong.

I agree. I don't think this is something I could base my livelihood off of unless I had a large amount of money to invest.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What if the books sell for 40$ in ten years instead.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
you've gone from 10 years to 5 years.

if you've already bought copies of the book then you have made your investment, no need to convince us on your plans. but imho do it for the love of helping another out rather than for the money on the side (in which case you could peg your price less on profit and more on just making up your cost, which could help put the book into more peoples' hands too).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

Never denied I was a nerd.

Say I bought ten copies of war/photography right now for 90 dollars.

That's 900 dollars.

In five years the book is no longer in print. I sell it for 190 dollars on Amazon. Minus whatever their fee is say 15% after five years I make a profit of 715 dollars.

The book weighs 20 lbs. 10 copies would fit in a large cardboard box I can get for free from work. I have plenty of extra space in my current living arrangements.

I don't think its a bad thing and it's pretty cool that you thought far enough ahead to do it :)

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There's a book I'm trying to find called "The Mask of Sanity". It's one of the first books about the sociopath/psychopath phenomenon by the person who discovered it in the psychological community. I've read many books about psychopaths/serial killers that reference the book but I cannot find the book itself.

I want to read it because it's the first book to explore the issue and it would be really interesting to read an early perspective on the psychopath phenomenon as it is only beginning to be understood.

It's no longer in print and people are selling it online but for probably 15 times the price they bought it for.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I've not bought any books but I know which ones I would buy if I were going to follow through.

I was more asking you guys what fringe/obscure things you enjoy/think would be worth it to check out in investing.

Even if I don't invest in any of this it could be a cool topic to discuss.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
have you considered checking out your local graduate school? find somewhere with a psych program, or maybe email someone who teaches abnormal psych or criminology. you're near raleigh so I am like 99% sure UNC has something.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

What if the books sell for 40$ in ten years instead.

That's possible but would make no sense if you buy the right thing. If you buy the hunger games today then in ten years, yeah it will be worth 50 cents.

I bought a DVD for dawn of the dead in 2005 for 20 dollars and the same DVD sells for 65 dollars on Amazon now.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I recommend investing in Pogs.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

have you considered checking out your local graduate school? find somewhere with a psych program, or maybe email someone who teaches abnormal psych or criminology. you're near raleigh so I am like 99% sure UNC has something.

I haven't checked with UNC yet but NC State did not have a copy when I was a student there.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I recommend investing in Pogs.

Legos would be a good investment honestly.

Buy like a ton of Star Wars sets, never open them and sell them in 15 years when Lego is defunct because of 3d printers.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Magnus Gallant posted:

I haven't checked with UNC yet but NC State did not have a copy when I was a student there.

I have done you a mitzvah

http://www.cix.co.uk/~klockstone/sanity_1.pdf

the entire fifth edition in pdf format for educational use. Unless you want the first edition for some reason?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Rarity posted:

I was wearing a heavy backpack i fell ovr and it got crushed under my pack and my body so close to 125 kilos

This is weird guyd its like i,m awake but slerping at thr same time

I sent exactly one text message after I had surgery while coming out of anaesthesia: "CNAIR EALLLY PEIXSZZ HA DI G TO.MOM ASJ EG QUERIONS"

I...kind of know what it means? I'd gotten a bunch of texts from my bestie while I was out and was trying to tell him I couldn't text well and I was handing the phone to my mom so he could ask her questions. I have zero idea what "peixszz" might be except for a potential band name.

Captain Foo posted:

Born to Run is a great karaoke song

The one part that's not fun is that whole "1 2 3 4 THE HIGHWAY'S JAMMED WITH BROKEN HEROES" bit -- "the" occurs on a pickup and it's not really obvious because there's a fermata right before that. I have done that song exactly once at karaoke and it was fun but I was REALLY REALLY drunk when I did it so I just ended up holding THEEEEEEEEE for a long time rising to a scream and didn't GAF. If you wanna do a Springsteen song for karaoke, I'm On Fire is pretty great though it's short and the song doesn't really do much. If the venue you're at has it, Atlantic City works amazingly well for karaoke purposes, and Born in the USA is perfect if you're in a hick bar and want to be subversive.

Africa is a really good karaoke song but there's a pretty wide range between the highest note and the lowest note, and it's got a couple key changes. People respond really well to it if you can pull it off though. Your Love by The Outfield is one that's easy and fun and nobody ever does it because nobody knows the name and band of that one song.

If you really want to try a gamble: Black Dog. If you're loving awesome you will have the audience in the palm of your hand -- there's this amazingly hot older chick at the dive near my old house who would do Black Dog every week and she'd loving kill it every time. However, if you are not loving awesome, everyone will hate you because it will be incredibly painful.

NEVER EVER do Bohemian Rhapsody or Paradise by the Dashboard Light, nobody likes you.

If you want to do a song nobody expects, give Return of the Mack a shot. Most spots I've been to don't have it, but if you chance upon it and are a charismatic person, it's hella fun.

Under no circumstances should you sing Hey Jude unless you can do the scat singing at the end. One time I got dragged to karaoke by this guy who loves the Beatles but wasn't confident enough to pull it off. He didn't even try. He just ended up standing on the stage singing na na na na na na na, na na na na, hey Jude for the entire outro while the people in the crowd drunkenly screamed JUDAY JUDAY JUDAY JUDAY

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why buy 'The Mask of Sanity' when it's online in its entirety as a pdf file?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Why buy 'The Mask of Sanity' when it's online in its entirety as a pdf file?

Because, I enjoy owning things. That question is like asking why owning any digital good when you can instead torrent it.

Thank you for looking that up for me Ecco. :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w5D9yJUMOc

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
some people like actual books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Look Under The Rock posted:

I sent exactly one text message after I had surgery while coming out of anaesthesia: "CNAIR EALLLY PEIXSZZ HA DI G TO.MOM ASJ EG QUERIONS"

I...kind of know what it means? I'd gotten a bunch of texts from my bestie while I was out and was trying to tell him I couldn't text well and I was handing the phone to my mom so he could ask her questions. I have zero idea what "peixszz" might be except for a potential band name.

The one part that's not fun is that whole "1 2 3 4 THE HIGHWAY'S JAMMED WITH BROKEN HEROES" bit -- "the" occurs on a pickup and it's not really obvious because there's a fermata right before that. I have done that song exactly once at karaoke and it was fun but I was REALLY REALLY drunk when I did it so I just ended up holding THEEEEEEEEE for a long time rising to a scream and didn't GAF. If you wanna do a Springsteen song for karaoke, I'm On Fire is pretty great though it's short and the song doesn't really do much. If the venue you're at has it, Atlantic City works amazingly well for karaoke purposes, and Born in the USA is perfect if you're in a hick bar and want to be subversive.

Africa is a really good karaoke song but there's a pretty wide range between the highest note and the lowest note, and it's got a couple key changes. People respond really well to it if you can pull it off though. Your Love by The Outfield is one that's easy and fun and nobody ever does it because nobody knows the name and band of that one song.

If you really want to try a gamble: Black Dog. If you're loving awesome you will have the audience in the palm of your hand -- there's this amazingly hot older chick at the dive near my old house who would do Black Dog every week and she'd loving kill it every time. However, if you are not loving awesome, everyone will hate you because it will be incredibly painful.

NEVER EVER do Bohemian Rhapsody or Paradise by the Dashboard Light, nobody likes you.

If you want to do a song nobody expects, give Return of the Mack a shot. Most spots I've been to don't have it, but if you chance upon it and are a charismatic person, it's hella fun.

Under no circumstances should you sing Hey Jude unless you can do the scat singing at the end. One time I got dragged to karaoke by this guy who loves the Beatles but wasn't confident enough to pull it off. He didn't even try. He just ended up standing on the stage singing na na na na na na na, na na na na, hey Jude for the entire outro while the people in the crowd drunkenly screamed JUDAY JUDAY JUDAY JUDAY

i think by understanding this you are dq'd from karaoke