Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Baller Time posted:

I like that this picture originated on 4chan, the place where half of every Fallout 3 thread was people asking for links to japanese nude children mods

Painting people from a website under one brush sure is a very easy way to dismiss anything. Do you want to know what people outside of SA says about the people posting here?

Nevermind, we haven't been relevant in anything since we created 4chan.

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

It's still an insane manifesto about a video game that the author probably logged hundreds of hours playing.

With this kind of logic, what is the point of being critical of anything? You'll still watch it and pay money for the ticket, you whore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Go back to 4chan human being

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I just know when the game comes out there will be two groups, one who thinks it's game of the century until the honeymoon period ends and then they start getting more critical of the game, as the same people did with every Bethesda game since Oblivion and those who think it's worse than E.T. for the Atari 2600 and completely forget the game existed after a month or two.

What about the third group?

People who have no problem criticizing the game from the start who will still enjoy the hell out of it.

Because they never had retarded expectations from Bethesda, and the parts of their games that are classically weak (graphics, story) are not why we are here anyway.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The line being repeated forever 'we arent here for the graphics and story' is actually mind boggling. What are you here for excepting those things. What else do these games have for you that you can't get elsewhere, with those things that allegedly don't matter

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Im reading a book. The printer malfunctioned and the text is illegible. The paper is falling apart and I just got it. All in all, I'm extremely satisfied.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

crabcakes66 posted:

What about the third group?

People who have no problem criticizing the game from the start who will still enjoy the hell out of it.

Because they never had retarded expectations from Bethesda, and the parts of their games that are classically weak (graphics, story) are not why we are here anyway.

We're a minority.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

strong bird posted:

The line being repeated forever 'we arent here for the graphics and story' is actually mind boggling. What are you here for excepting those things. What else do these games have for you that you can't get elsewhere, with those things that allegedly don't matter

I'm here for the deep and complex gameplay found ONLY in Bethesda titles, like Skyrim's legendary "click on guys until they fall over" melee combat.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

strong bird posted:

exploration, shooting things in the face, customizing my dude on an RPG, using badass power armor, loving around with settlement building

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inverness posted:

I've seen no evidence of this. It's not like they set out to not make good perks. There is simply a realistic number of things you can do while still being balanced and meaningful to gameplay.

The full perk list also doesn't match what you're saying at all.

It looks rather depressingly like the skyrim perk trees which were really boring by default, all the mods improved on them wildly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao hm yes what do games do that don't really involve the graphics and story, why on earth would I play this game. what reason could there be for this game to exist that I would play it. some sort of game play, perhaps. no, that's retarded

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

It's still an insane manifesto about a video game that the author probably logged hundreds of hours playing.
Clearly, that image that is hard to refute (it isn't barring all the attacks directed at things that aren't actually the game, like the marketing and development team).

It's also based on literal Nazi propaganda, which is pretty :staredog:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

strong bird posted:

Chillax man, dont let the hype go to your head.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm in the camp that thinks it's a bummer that Bethesda is still doing more of the same when they could be doing more and better. They've had so many years and resources to really improve their games but they're still treading largely the same ground as they did back in Fallout 3 and even Oblivion.

I get that many people are fine with that and I've nothing against those people at all, but I still think it's a shame because I genuinely think Bethesda would be capable of so much more than what they're putting out if they had the motivation to do so.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
For the record, I'd like to point out that I have a healthy skepticism of this game's claims without being affiliated with any group or website!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

frajaq posted:

exploration, shooting things in the face, customizing my dude on an RPG, using badass power armor, loving around with settlement building

and making mods

that's why i play these ugly bad games - i really could give less of a poo poo about how good the game's graphics or gameplay relative to other games

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kanfy posted:

I'm in the camp that thinks it's a bummer that Bethesda is still doing more of the same when they could be doing more and better. They've had so many years and resources to really improve their games but they're still treading largely the same ground as they did back in Fallout 3 and even Oblivion.

I get that many people are fine with that and I've nothing against those people at all, but I still think it's a shame because I genuinely think Bethesda would be capable of so much more than what they're putting out if they had the motivation to do so.

Sucks they cant make a game good as you, looking forward to daikatana 2.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

We're a minority.

I think it's more likely that the other groups are the minority and just scream a lot louder.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That is what is weird with Bethesda's Fallouts. Yet somehow they're still pretty enjoyable and I'm not entirely sure why.

"Graphics suck"
"Yeah but the story's pretty good"
"Na that sucks too"
"Well you're right there but the gameplay is solid"
"It's got its problems"
"Well, yeah, but the world is great"
"The world makes no sense"
"Yeah."

It Just Works.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I mean to be fair to Bethesda they did go out of their way to get people who might actually know a thing or two about shooting games (bungie dude, their bros at iD) to help them build their combat from the ground up so maybe it won't be so simple and tame compared to their previous games???

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I just want to murderhobo my way through a hosed up post apocalypse with wacky weapons, enemies, and kick rear end retrofuture radio blaring 50s classics. I cant think of another game that offers all that in one package. Yes its me, im the insufferable asshat who actually thinks fallout games are fun.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can't help but wonder if the Nuka-Cola Quantum drink that's due out next week will live up to the AUTHENTIC Quantum experience.

By which I mean drinking it should be like "Drinking a Nuka-Cola, then downing a fistful of sugar, and punching yourself in the head."

Also : I don't know what it is about Bethesda games but they appeal to me so much despite their flaws. Part of it is that the modding scene is so active and amazing. I can't think of a single game that has a modding scene half as good as Skyrim except other TES or Fallout games.

I think the best way to put it is this : Each individual component of a Bethesda game is done better by other games, but Bethesda games are the 'jack of all trades'. Everything they do is good but not great, but they do so much more and give you so much freedom that on the whole no other game manages to 'scratch as many itches'.

I mean, what other game really manages to do everything TES/Fallout games do?

khy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 2, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kanfy posted:

With so many good openworld sandbox games out there I'm kinda hoping Bethesda will be actually called out on their flaws this time.

Basically I'm hoping reviewers will give it 8/10 instead of 10/10

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

frajaq posted:

Let's be honest, the marketing budget will ensure no possibility of anything less than 9/10 from the mainstream media.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Or as I like to call it, the LAMEstream media

thank you, like and favorite for more content

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

strong bird posted:

What are you here for excepting those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJULk0f9xA

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Babe Magnet posted:

I mean to be fair to Bethesda they did go out of their way to get people who might actually know a thing or two about shooting games (bungie dude, their bros at iD) to help them build their combat from the ground up so maybe it won't be so simple and tame compared to their previous games???

This is the kind of thing that's probably nearly impossible to tell from videos, though. Really, if it controls and plays like a competent first person shooter instead of Skyrim with guns it'll probably be amazing.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

frajaq posted:

still my favorite F3 pic

People seriously thought Fallout 3 would be rated Teen?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao if you think any of that was serious. it's a joke on a bunch of games and series that used to be M are now T to heighten sales

I like the little todds

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This is the kind of thing that's probably nearly impossible to tell from videos, though. Really, if it controls and plays like a competent first person shooter instead of Skyrim with guns it'll probably be amazing.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Talkc posted:

I just want to murderhobo my way through a hosed up post apocalypse with wacky weapons, enemies, and kick rear end retrofuture radio blaring 50s classics. I cant think of another game that offers all that in one package. Yes its me, im the insufferable asshat who actually thinks fallout games are fun.

I'm pretty much in this boat. I have every expectation that it will share the flaws of all bethsoft games, but I'm expecting I'll still enjoy the hell out of Skyrim with mutants. The things that I want the game to have that it presently does not will certainly be added by modders, so I'll get them eventually. That's all I actually care about when you get down to it, despite the principle that they shouldn't be lazy assholes relying on the modders to improve their games.

And yes, play bloodlines. It needs some patching to work well, but once you get the patches in its a fantastic game.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know what it is about Bethesda games but they appeal to me so much despite their flaws. Part of it is that the modding scene is so active and amazing. Sure, you have all the dick mods, horse-genitalia mods, creepy-loli mods, and MLP mods. But then you have modders turning Skyrim into a very enjoyable survival experience. You have trainwiz creating MASSIVE amounts of combat and revamping entire sections of the game (Turning Alduin into a 5-part super boss fight for example). You have modders who spend hundreds of hours fixing the most minute glitches and bugs. I can't think of a single game that has a modding scene half as good as Skyrim except other TES or Fallout games. I have high hopes for Fallout 4's modding scene.

Mostly though I think that the games just give you so much to do and see and experience compared to other games. Other games might scratch one particular itch REALLY well - great story, good gunplay, etc. But Bethesda games scratch them all. They might not do any particular one thing as well as other games, but they offer so much more than any other game out there that I enjoy myself enough that it's always a positive experience in the end.

I mean, what other game really manages to do everything TES/Fallout games do?

khy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 2, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

woah we got a Bethesda Liker here, quick someone call him a fag and make retarded analogies about books

I'll start, khy you fag

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

sout posted:

That is what is weird with Bethesda's Fallouts. Yet somehow they're still pretty enjoyable and I'm not entirely sure why.

For me it's that Bethesda is the only one making RPGs with a broad enough canvas to project all kinds of characters/stories on to and just role-play around in. In the Witcher for example you can play Gerald and make some skillpoint and quest decisions, and that's it. In Skyrim you can play a deranged maniac who travels the world collecting pillows to build a fort. Not that the game has quests or dialog to react to that specifically, but all the systems are so generic it's easy to fill the holes with your own imagination.

Edit: I should say "big budget RPGs", there are certainly smaller titles out there (and tons of MUDs) that allow you to do that.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 2, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

frajaq posted:

With so many good openworld sandbox games out there I'm kinda hoping Bethesda will be actually called out on their flaws this time.

For reviews like that to exist the market has to be willing to accept criticism of the games, which looking at this thread is extremely unlikely.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

woah we got a Bethesda Liker here, quick someone call him a fag and make retarded analogies about books

I'll start, khy you fag

Uh. poo poo. I don't like fallout! Todd Howard murders kittens! Bethesda is more greedy than EA Games and less creative than Ubisoft!

That was my little sister using my computer! Somehow. From work.

Does that excuse still work?

EDIT :

Police Automaton posted:

lowest common demeanor.
This made me giggle.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Man it's loving weird that Bethesda won't change up a winning formula which has served them well enough since Oblivion and is pretty much lowest common demeanor. Also that they won't put more work into it than they just have to is also loving weird, hell if wouldn't knew better I'd think they only make games for money.

There are lots of people who preferred FO3 over NV. I don't agree with that but that's the way it is.

EDIT: /\denominator/\ Me no speak english natively

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 2, 2015

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
I think the amount of interactivity the world has adds a lot to it. Having every in game book model laying on someone's shelf being a thing you can read or pick up and move, every item being something you can take and use, every house somewhere you can enter, etc. adds a level of immersion that even The Witcher didn't quite give me with its predetermined loot points, static decoration models, closed houses, etc. even if that game manages a much greater scope in how much of that stuff there is.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

sout posted:

"Graphics suck"
"Yeah but the story's pretty good"
"Na that sucks too"
"Well you're right there but the gameplay is solid"
"It's got its problems"
"Well, yeah, but the world is great"
"The world makes no sense"
"Yeah."

It Just Works.

This is me

I only really play these games because it's fun to run around in a big world and shoot bad guys until their heads explode

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I like how quadropeds still turn like they're on a turntable. Oh Bethesda.
I think Far Cry 3 pulled that off convincible.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
I'd really like to make a fully voiced Todd Howard companion that would use his lines from previous game demonstrations. I'd love to be fighting raiders or bears or something and have him halfheartedly announce "It's the Enclave. They spotted me." and use the line from this video.
https://youtu.be/qI1k4KC6WiE?t=4m13s

It'd be like in Two Worlds when the guy says "Looks like my in-laws:smug:" One day I'll maybe have enough motivation to make my dream come true. Dumb mods like that are why I keep playing these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

gasman posted:

I like how quadropeds still turn like they're on a turntable. Oh Bethesda.
I think Far Cry 3 pulled that off convincible.

MOV 152,176
ROT 45
MOV 152,180
ATT <PC>

• Locked thread