Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Johnny Aztec posted:

If your poo poo is black, then you got a problem. That means you got some blood going on in there. If it ever happens again, get thee to a doctor.

Kraken rum does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Wanamingo posted:

Anti-smoking commercials have been trying really, really hard to appeal to the youth demographic lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4srWvLXZRw
That is loving pathetic. Someone had to write that script and someone had to direct this. Embarrassing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

When I was 5 or 6 I told my mom that I was afraid I was an alcoholic. There were these commercials that said if you were having multiple drinks everyday you might be an alcoholic. I assumed it was some sort of disease that caused excessive thirst.
And I got very upset when my dad stopped for coffee on a road trip; after all, drinking and driving was very bad news.

Similarly, I was inconsolable when, during the initial AIDS scare, I discovered condom wrappers in my parent's bathroom trash. If there was one thing the media made clear, it was that you had to use condoms to prevent AIDS; my parents were using condoms, ergo, one (or both) of them had AIDS (and would thus die a terrible terrible too-young death). Ah, the ignorance of youth. :downs:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I know when I started getting the anti-drug talks, I was young enough that I freaked out when my dad mentioned he was going to the drugstore.

When I was 5 or 6 I told my mom that I was afraid I was an alcoholic. There were these commercials that said if you were having multiple drinks everyday you might be an alcoholic. I assumed it was some sort of disease that caused excessive thirst.

I once yelled at my grandma for "drinking" and driving. She was drinking a soda and I was like 6. She explained the difference to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whatev posted:

That is loving pathetic. Someone had to write that script and someone had to direct this. Embarrassing.
Most companies have figured out that you catch more flies with honey than poo poo, like this one that was written by someone who clearly harbors a deep-seated bitterness towards their parents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0J4u7qMLg

And then you have companies that haven't figured out the difference between copywriters and a mentally-challenged newphew, and that hiring one is considerably less expensive than the five figures you dropped for an ad slot during the local news.

snergle posted:

I once yelled at my grandma for "drinking" and driving. She was drinking a soda and I was like 6. She explained the difference to me.
When I was six, my school had a bunch of "IF YOU SEE THIS PLANT GROWING, TELL THE POLICE. IT IS ILLEGAL AND EVERYONE WHO GROWS IT WILL GO TO JAIL FOR 20 YEARS TO LIFE." flyers plastered everywhere. It was supposed to be marijuana, but the police officers who designed the poster didn't have any real photos of weed and this was the mid-early 90s, so they didn't have the internet. Instead, they just took a picture of a wild plant that has vaguely ganja-shaped fronds and underneath the leaves is purple.

This garbage plant grows loving everywhere in Hawaii, including where we lived. I existed in a state of constant terror.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Nov 2, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Fear is a common tool in the ad-making toolkit and that can be as simple as "I fear I will stink." Of course public awareness ads have a very long history with taking no holds.

The Government here got into a bit of hot soup when it remade a failed ad campaign from 2007. It's literally shot by shot with the 2015 version flipping the line of action.

The problem is many people find the ads too horrifying to really be effective or roll their eyes at the exaggerated depictions of the risks of the drugs taken - studies showed that even if people who were watching had experimented with ice they weren't shocked with images of desperate users turning into scabby prostitutes as in their experience they'd tried some it felt good and then continued on with their lives.

The testing only really scored highly with a younger audience or adults who were more than happy to buy into the graphic imagery as it fitted in with lurid tales that float around the media - such as the one about the guy who was so psychotic he ate his own eyeballs. Also some of the ads were seen as a bit too real that it's been noted that once during audience testing a former addict got inspired to light up in the bathrooms.

HIV had a similar thing in the 1980's with the infamous Grim Reaper commercial scaring a whole generation of kids. Grim had been seen as an icon of early road safety ads dating back to the 50's who warned you of ending precious lives with your bad driving - namely with a much mocked radio commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U219eUIZ7Qo
But the big problem was that ad didn't shift perceptions of HIV being something you got from touching or kissing.
While it spooked many people and has been constantly mentioned as being the ad that helped fight HIV the reality was that new ads came about that promoted realistic discussions about using protection and so on - however it's legacy is entombed with every new major anti-something campaign trying to shock you into abstaining out of fear.

In comparison the famous "Slip, Slop Slap" campaign was better at raising awareness over skin cancer prevention as it didn't push you into a barrage of graphic images of cancerous moles eating holes into people - it just encouraged with a nice animated jingle.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WebDog posted:

In comparison the famous "Slip, Slop Slap" campaign was better at raising awareness over skin cancer prevention as it didn't push you into a barrage of graphic images of cancerous moles eating holes into people - it just encouraged with a nice animated jingle.
The Life. Be In It song was decent too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5KC1s3YZo

Then you have the problem with bombarding us for decades on end big scary ad campaigns and we just don't care any more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zhgyawyv8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My drug education didn't have "you smoke pot and you'll kill your family!" kind of stuff, it was purely "if you get caught with this, you will go to jail" and that was it. I do remember later the cop doing the presentation in a later grade was "pot isn't a problem unless you try to drive or anything else that takes concentration, like drinking". Which was pretty progressive, but my cop friend told me ages ago that dealing with pot is a stupid waste of time unless its large scale operations because they normally also involve harder drugs, guns and human trafficking. Some guy with a grow op in his basement isn't a problem, but the Russian mobsters in a mcmansion in the suburbs is.

For fear based stuff, there are the classic Ontario Safty ads. Most are kind of silly, like the guy falling off the construction looks like a dummy, and the really lethargic "there's been an accident" doesn't convey the gravity of the situation, but the woman spilling hot grease on her face and then the camera zooming in on her screaming and her face melting off is pretty disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jLGkmOVtnI

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
After I moved to America we had some awful Anti-Sex sex-ed sort of stuff. One class had a doctor, or at least a guy who claimed to be a doctor, come in and tell us horrible stories like how one guy gave another guy a blowjob and the evil STD sperms caused his throat to rot instantly. Because everyone knows gays blow acidic loads.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's an ad on the local radio for a new restaurant that's opening up, and it invited the audience to guess what new thing is opening, plays a distracting ticking noise while declaring the listener's probably non-existent guess wrong every second, then ends with a "hint" that it's a hot new restaurant in [town]. No mention of a name or what kind of food, nor where in [town] to find it. On top of that, I just got a flyer in the mail that I think is for that place that declares it to be for "Good American eats". I do not live on America. In fact, I live in a small town, so the local population is wary enough of the nearest city, let alone a company that's insisting we should be impressed by their pretending to be from America. Way to know your audience, guys! :thumbsup:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Croccers posted:

The Life. Be In It song was decent too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5KC1s3YZo

Then you have the problem with bombarding us for decades on end big scary ad campaigns and we just don't care any more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zhgyawyv8

I dunno, I thought that one from a few years ago about speeding with the guy and his family in an overturned car and time stops, then reverses was really loving powerful.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The Aids campaign in the UK in the 1980s was genuinely scary as gently caress and it was at a time when we weren't really sure how it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-RH_2gfog

As a result of this campaign, two facts were hammered into my brain:

1. Have sex with a girl and you'll get AIDS and die painfully. 'Sex' includes everything from french kissing upwards.

2. Most homosexuals have AIDS and leak it from every bodily fluid. If you want to be safe, wear full-body protection anytime you are near one who looks a bit sweaty.

Well, despite all that, it turns out that it was actually quite effective:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15886670

quote:

And yet the campaign - the world's first major government-sponsored national Aids awareness drive - would later be hailed as the most successful.

Its tactics were imitated around the world. France, Spain and Italy were all slower to react, the Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) has noted. Each of those countries has around twice the number of people with HIV as the UK, where there were an estimated 86,500 in 2009, according to the trust.

Of course, there some downsides to this conditioning: my idea of a hot date is a firm handshake, closely followed by a thorough hand-washing in disinfectant and I still get nervous around men with impeccable dress-sense in confined places (lifts, the Tube, the Isle of Wight). But still, well done me for not catching AIDS.

spog has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Nov 2, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlphaKretin posted:

There's an ad on the local radio for a new restaurant that's opening up, and it invited the audience to guess what new thing is opening, plays a distracting ticking noise while declaring the listener's probably non-existent guess wrong every second, then ends with a "hint" that it's a hot new restaurant in [town].

Such a shame I can't find it on YouTube, there's a new local commercial about some bar that opened up. Head-On style, they basically chant "It's a pub... that's a club! And a club... that's a pub!" for thirty seconds without actually saying the name of the establishment. Whoever designed the spot finally realized this at some point and at the end of the commercial, it cuts to an outdoor shot of the place. It's taken from across the street with no identifying landmarks, and the shot is so wide and the video quality so bad that you can't even tell what the sign above the door says. This lasts for all of one second before cutting to black.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I know when I started getting the anti-drug talks, I was young enough that I freaked out when my dad mentioned he was going to the drugstore.

This is adorable :allears:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Does anyone have a link to that Realtor ad where the husband is expressing serious misgivings about taking on a bunch of mortgage debt, only for his wife to convince him to buy by pointing out that the real estate agent looked into it and it's all good?

You know, the one that was airing right before the real estate bubble exploded with the fury of a thousand suns?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Does anyone have a link to that Realtor ad where the husband is expressing serious misgivings about taking on a bunch of mortgage debt, only for his wife to convince him to buy by pointing out that the real estate agent looked into it and it's all good?

You know, the one that was airing right before the real estate bubble exploded with the fury of a thousand suns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20n-cD8ERgs

Suzanne researched this.

There's another video from 2006 that I can't find where a guy is predicting the housing crisis and all the other pundits and commentators are literally shouting him down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Suzanne researched this.

There's another video from 2006 that I can't find where a guy is predicting the housing crisis and all the other pundits and commentators are literally shouting him down.

People had been calling it since 2003 because it was literally the statistical definition of a bubble. It was more shocking that people kept buying houses for 2-3x what they were worth 5-10 years ago and not thinking it was strange.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Kareem posted:

Suzanne researched this.

This is why basic-level investment advice is shady. Much of investment and value has to do with confidence. It could be that the people who shouted him down had money were making money hand over fist from the bubble, and they didn't want anything to shake the confidence that people had, which would cause the bubble to burst.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I yelled at my dad when I was six for drinking and driving because he was drinking lemonade. :v:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

It warms my heart to read that I wasn't the only first grader to the world to freak out that my mom was drinking coffee while driving us to school.

DARE at my school in sixth grade was such a loving joke that even the teacher and the cop that came to talk to us on a semi-weekly basis was in on it. We had this box that in which we were supposed to put anonymous questions about drugs or drinking or smoking or whatever, but I think the only questions anyone ever bothered to put in where teasing the cop about his shiny bald held.

"Mr. Cop, do you shine your head every morning? I think you hide pennies on there."

We'd all have a hearty laugh about it. No one my state (WA represent!) was one of the first to legalize the Devil Weed.

Also in high school we'd scour our closets and thrift shops to find old DARE t-shirts so we'd look extra ironic during parties. Good times :allears:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Irradiation posted:

I yelled at my dad when I was six for drinking and driving because he was drinking lemonade. :v:
Ah geez. Same, but with ginger ale. :doh:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My only memory of our DARE program was them telling us if you ever do PCP you'll end up jumpin off your roof and breaking your legs but you won't notice because PCP makes you numb to pain.

No idea how true that is, but it certainly made 10 year old me want to throw up in class.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I remember my dad drinking something while driving me home from school sometime in grade two or three, and I called him on it, too. His response was to hand the can to me and tell me to finish it instead.

It was a Coors. You guys had lame parents.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
So you're saying you're from Wisconsin?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I never adorably called out my parents for drinking coffee behind the wheel, but I did refuse to set foot in the liquor aisle while grocery shopping with my parents (because I was a kid, obviously I'd get in trouble if a cop or teacher saw me in there!) and would wait quietly at the end of it for them to come back.

Probably judging them, I don't remember.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

WebDog posted:

Fear is a common tool in the ad-making toolkit and that can be as simple as "I fear I will stink." Of course public awareness ads have a very long history with taking no holds.

Shame sells.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RandomFerret posted:

I remember my dad drinking something while driving me home from school sometime in grade two or three, and I called him on it, too. His response was to hand the can to me and tell me to finish it instead.

It was a Coors. You guys had lame parents.

In fairness to your dad, Coors isn't actually beer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Besesoth posted:

In fairness to your dad, Coors isn't actually beer.

:golfclap:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well I mean theoretically you're supposed to constantly keep both hands on the wheel at all times, so - especially to a mind as innocent and naive as a kid's - drinking anything literally while you're driving is technically an infraction. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, I'm having trouble finding it, but the talk of grim reaper themed PSAs reminded me of one from the 80s that was creepy. Where this woman kept dancing from partner to partner while a voiceover kinda suggested she was sleeping around, and then the face of the final dancer is revealed and he's Death! It was a good one!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Mother may I sleep with Death?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
nah, this was just some 30 second psa that would run like, during saturday morning cartoons. I remember it had a real hazy blue tint to everything.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AlphaKretin posted:

Well I mean theoretically you're supposed to constantly keep both hands on the wheel at all times, so - especially to a mind as innocent and naive as a kid's - drinking anything literally while you're driving is technically an infraction. :v:

How are you supposed to shift? :crossarms:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So I guess recently google fiber had some sort of hiccup. Someone in Comcast thought it would be funny to call them out on their facebook. The response was exactly what you would expect.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AlphaKretin posted:

Well I mean theoretically you're supposed to constantly keep both hands on the wheel at all times,

That'd make it pretty hard to drive a manual.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FrozenVent posted:

How are you supposed to shift? :crossarms:

gently caress if I know, ask the PSA writers that drilled the into my head. Presumably a momentary distraction to use a function of the car is OK. :shrug: But not a momentary distraction for anything else of course. :v: Hey look, I think I just accidentally mad this relevant to the thread!

Dr_Amazing posted:

So I guess recently google fiber had some sort of hiccup. Someone in Comcast thought it would be funny to call them out on their facebook. The response was exactly what you would expect.

The best part is that in all the screenshots of the incident the first comment on all the snarky replies is "beep book please contact us so we can assist you with your problem".

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Nov 2, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I remember having a conversation in senior year of high school with some other girls about how better sex ed was probably more important than DARE and how DARE just made people more knowledgeable about drugs without actually taking away any of the curiosity about trying them. (and like people in this thread pointed out, probably piquing more people's interest in them).

Other than that my only vivid memories of DARE are:
1. In like sixth grade we read a story where a girl I guess does drugs and winds up getting STABBED with a letter opener by another girl. I literally think of that every time I use a letter opener, even though that's infrequent now, whether I use one of the long weapon type ones or one of the whale shaped ones. It apparently upset me as a child b/c the girl died at the end without a chance of being redeemed. :saddowns:

2. The DARE officer lived next door to a kid I was semi-friends with. I went to drop off an invitation to a party at the kids house when i was in high school and pulled into the officer's driveway b/c my friend's driveway was on the back of his house and it was more convenient to not have to drive all the way around ot the other street. The officer came to his door, started screaming at me for using his driveway, insisted I had been there before and done this tons of times (I had literally never been there before), and just made me feel like total poo poo for idling in his driveway for what would have been less than 15 seconds if he hadn't had to take the time to loving scream at me. gently caress that cop. He also told us when we were in DARE that he never even had a sip of alcohol in his life. I don't think any of us believed him even then.

Well that's my story

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zaphod42 posted:

AA actually pisses me off because it teaches you that its not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it except pray that God takes away your affliction.

If it works for some people then good for them, but I know some people who it definitely doesn't work for and probably just enables the poo poo out of them.

I had to "take some time off" in a psychiatric ward for a while and I got lumped in with some recovering drug addicts, and because I was the most coherent person there I had to officiate the AA meeting. So I did it in the most overwrought preacher voice I could, and it changed from a depressing "oh poor pitiful me save me Jesus" fest into a good laugh from everyone involved. And then we all watched How To Train Your Dragon and had dinner. AA is awesome as long as you're surrounded by a bunch of bored druggies with time to kill until dinner.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
There was an anti-drug movie I saw in 7th grade (late 80's) that I saw three times because they played it in two different classes, and then I didn't get to go on a field trip or something for the second class so I got to sit and watch it a third time. Even after seeing it three times the only thing I remember is that it made a point that if you smoked marijuana and went driving, everything looked very slow and calm, while you were really driving at breakneck speed. So apparently pot gives you inhuman reflexes? I think there was someone cackling insanely because they were on acid or something. Would love to see that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83kP07ufUI

Since we're on the topic of anti-drug PSAs, this played a lot when I was a kid watching cartoons. The version I remember didn't have the same voice over but the message was the same, and my six year old self had no idea what it meant. I was deathly afraid of smelling anything too much for a long time.