Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Well, that depends. What "part" are you referring to? The loot / resource mechanics? I like how you have to balance between upgrading your heroes and your town. If you always use torches your heroes level quickly and not die, but your town buildings will suck. So keeping your heroes alive is not the top priority, you have to take some risks to get the necessary heirlooms and gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Counterpoint: do the cove, because corals and dead whales are the best curios ever

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Since when can you meet the Shambler in a hallway? This never happened to me before today, now it happened twice in one session. It's cool though, my level 4 party wiped out before they entered the second room of the dungeon, totally cool. I need a break.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

They need to take this part of the game out, i firmly believe you should never have to grind in a game.

In my experience you've never really needed to grind in DD: by the time your first characters get to level 3 you won't have nearly enough resources to safely run veteran tier missions, but by the time you clear all of the apprentice bosses you definitely will.

sicDaniel posted:

Since when can you meet the Shambler in a hallway? This never happened to me before today, now it happened twice in one session. It's cool though, my level 4 party wiped out before they entered the second room of the dungeon, totally cool. I need a break.

Ever since the Shambler got added it's always been available as a random encounter in pitch black conditions.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sicDaniel posted:

I believe it only happens in total darkness, so I don't do dark runs unless I have a team I know can beat him.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Soothing Vapors posted:

Counterpoint: do the cove, because corals and dead whales are the best curios ever

Man, I have mixed feelings about the cove. I love the soundtrack to it, but I've lost more people in the cove than the other three dungeons combined.

Those stacks of 4 fishmen that just spearfish everybody in the party suck.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

...dead whales are the best curios ever

You can interact with the dead whales?! I thought they were just background art for some rooms.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Kly posted:

I thought they were just background art for some rooms.

They are. They aren't curios. God knows what that guy was talking about.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Funso Banjo posted:

The fish carcasses, perhaps?

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Welp, back to the grind then. :toot:

I don't think you need a full dark run get Shamblers, as on my current run I've had them in the first hallway when I went after the Hag. All in all, the four I've had all have been found on medium light (like 50ish) or higher, but I've left them twice to come back at low light once I've cleared the objective. Does anyone know if they give anything other than Ancestral trinkets? Because for the most part, the Ancestral trinkets kinda suck, outside of the +25% virtue one and the fact that they sell for 7500 gold.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Counterpoint: do the cove, because corals and dead fish carcasses are the best curios ever

On top of that, the music is loving top notch. It could really do with not just giving crests though, I'm already drowning in those from literally everywhere else.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Greatbacon posted:

Man, I have mixed feelings about the cove. I love the soundtrack to it, but I've lost more people in the cove than the other three dungeons combined.

Those stacks of 4 fishmen that just spearfish everybody in the party suck.

I feel like it hurts the utility of push/pull/shuffle abilities when many monsters are equally effective in any location, and only some have diminished effectiveness when in the 'suboptimal' position. So far only skeletal soldiers are forced to pass if they're stuck in the back.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I came back to the game after a long break and liked most of the changes. MaA might have been nerfed a bit overmuch, but I assume he can be fixed much more easily now. Just adding a bit more oomph to his direct attacks to give you a reason to not just riposte every turn after buffing.

What has been murdering my guys is...diseases. It's very common for each hero to gain a green status for sure at the end of a run, adding 1-2 during the dungeon proper. That's 5-6 diseases per run, not counting negative quirks, making several of them need another additional week of recovery before they can embark again, not to mention money costs. It makes you hemorrhage money. The only reason I'm not broke is that my luck with relic drops has been great, but I'm selling them like crazy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Panfilo posted:

I feel like it hurts the utility of push/pull/shuffle abilities when many monsters are equally effective in any location, and only some have diminished effectiveness when in the 'suboptimal' position. So far only skeletal soldiers are forced to pass if they're stuck in the back.

A lot of enemies have weaker attacks when out of position even if they don't outright pass

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Yah, the bandit gunners and skeleton archers have single target weak attacks that only hit front ranks if theyre up front. The cultist fighters also have a much weaker attack if theyre in the back ranks, but it also moves them up at the same time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Sephyr posted:

What has been murdering my guys is...diseases. It's very common for each hero to gain a green status for sure at the end of a run, adding 1-2 during the dungeon proper. That's 5-6 diseases per run, not counting negative quirks, making several of them need another additional week of recovery before they can embark again, not to mention money costs. It makes you hemorrhage money. The only reason I'm not broke is that my luck with relic drops has been great, but I'm selling them like crazy.

Not all diseases necessarily need curing, curing a disease is only around 1k gold, and an upgraded sanitarium can cure multiple diseases at once.

What you need to do ASAP is upgrade your roster size to the maximum, get as many heroes as you can (don't be picky, they're free) and rotate through who you take on raids. This way you nearly never have to waste money on lowering stress and have a lot more funds for other things.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

I figured I didn't need to look up the exact curio name because what else could I be talking about, but I should have known better

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

One of the dumbest combos I used that seemed to work was Vestal/Crusader/Crusader/Leper, simply because:

1. Leper brutally facefucks everything infront of him into meat paste
2. Crusaders hopefully get turns in the right order so you can holy lance their backline twice a turn, along with a vestal judgement.
3. Vestal stuns the nasty poo poo when it can and group heals otherwise.
4. If anyone gets a bit too stressed, Your Crusaders doubleteam to stress heal them twenty a turn.
5. You have 4 heals. No one dies ever.

Honestly you could probably swap the vestal out for a Arbalist or plague doctor or something and it'd still work.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the row 2/3 crusaders duo is a great setup, especially if you can use trinkets to make the row 3 guy faster than the row 2 guy. I'm not sure if I like a leper or a man at arms best for position 1, although I agree that the leper fits your Everybody Heals theme better.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

But what happens if you run out of targets for Holy Lance? Then your rank 3 Crusader has nothing to do, right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

paradoxGentleman posted:

But what happens if you run out of targets for Holy Lance? Then your rank 3 Crusader has nothing to do, right?

Stress removal dude

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

dogstile posted:

Stress removal dude

He can do that from the third rank? Uh. Good to know.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Drone_Fragger posted:

One of the dumbest combos I used that seemed to work was Vestal/Crusader/Crusader/Leper, simply because:

1. Leper brutally facefucks everything infront of him into meat paste
2. Crusaders hopefully get turns in the right order so you can holy lance their backline twice a turn, along with a vestal judgement.
3. Vestal stuns the nasty poo poo when it can and group heals otherwise.
4. If anyone gets a bit too stressed, Your Crusaders doubleteam to stress heal them twenty a turn.
5. You have 4 heals. No one dies ever.

Honestly you could probably swap the vestal out for a Arbalist or plague doctor or something and it'd still work.
For #2 you can influence the odds of the correct Crusader going first using speed buffing/debuffing trinkets. You can guarantee it using the Quick Draw Charm, but that only works for the first turn, then they'll be guaranteed to be in the wrong order.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

paradoxGentleman posted:

He can do that from the third rank? Uh. Good to know.

That and battle heal. If he's sat there looking pretty you may as well use him for those :shrug:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah usually if your rank 3 Crusader has no enemy targets you've got the battle locked down already, and it's safe for him to spam recovery moves while your frontline guy and the rank 2 crusader finish the straggler.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Well, that was some mighty bullshit. I went into the Drowned Crew fight with Jester/Occultist/Bounty Hunter/Leper, all with level 4 gear and skills. Drowned Crew crits the Bounty Hunter twice in a row and brings him to DD while also giving him a bleed effect. Occultist whiffs his Wyrd Recontruction entirely and Bounty Hunter bleeds out as soon as his turn comes up. I have to retreat the rest of the party to avoid a total wipe in a now hopeless fight. :xcom:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You should have stuck it out, coward.

Look at this idiot failing The True Test.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would not bet the money spent on fully decking out three heroes on a group containing a Jester in a position he was not prepared for.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you use jesters in any way, at all, ever

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't use them, but I assume I am the idiot Who can't use them at their best.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I really want to like Jester, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'd use one over most other classes. Except maybe to stick him in with some super stressed heroes for a long crawl, to try to unstress them. Against a boss? Haven't a clue.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Four jester party, who cares what position they're in?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A party of Jesters and Grave Robbers would be interesting since all of them could jump around to different positions, and you could kit them all out so they can always do something in each position. Getting pushed/pulled wouldn't matter with that type of party, so you could focus on speed and trinkets that come at the expense of move resist.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

One of the more fun setups I tried was two Grave Robbers, a Highwayman, and a Jester, all with as many movement abilities as I could get. It definitely wasn't the most effective setup, but fights felt like a chaotic free-for-all and you didn't have to worry about group order at all.

Point Blank on the Highwayman is really effective, too, I'd start out with him at the front.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Bringing the best stress healer in the game into a fight where the boss primarily kills you through stress just felt like a good idea :shrug:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

TheRagamuffin posted:

I really want to like Jester, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'd use one over most other classes. Except maybe to stick him in with some super stressed heroes for a long crawl, to try to unstress them. Against a boss? Haven't a clue.
Just spam his group buff. It stacks with itself. Over the course of a long fight it's nice to have everyone on your team always go first, never miss, and get more crits.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Note this is a strategy that I had fully specced characters wearing sun gear for, but an occultist or vestal in back with two grave robbers and a jester is a fun team for short dungeons. The jester sort of resets the positions of the graverobbers so they can just keep lunging all day long. That's basically all the group is for, with whatever else they do for slice. It'll roll short dungeons really well, and sometimes longer ones too. Really it's once they start taking damage they run out of steam and are in dangerous territory because they all have so little health.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel the Jester needs a rework. He's too reliant on long battles and unlike the Plague Doctor who is in a similar boat, he lacks the practical versatility to be effective. Plague doctor can heal, and Crusader can heal AND stress Heal. Here's how I'd rework him:

Dance Positions: Gives a move resist buff to the party, and has a % chance to reset everybody's position to where they were at the start of the battle. . Front position only.

Heckle: Marks Jester, giving him bonus dodge and making enemies attack him. If he dodges or resists an attack the party gets a stress heal.

Inspiring Tune: Single target buff, gives initial stress heal. For the next 3 turns every time the buffer player receives a stress heal they also heal 1HP.

Battle Ballad: Same as it is now but every time a buffed hero crits they get bonus stress heal.

Slice Off: Damage + reduces enemy damage by a flat amount 1 turn.

Harvest: Damage and bleed for the 2 middle enemy ranks and instantly clears corpses.

Blood In Your Eye: Low damage, high crit chance. Applies whatever debuffs the Jester currently suffers onto the target.

Misery Loves Company: Clears a debuff on a friendly target shared by the Jester and gives both a small stress heal.

The Final Countdown: Front row only. Deals massive stress to your entire party to do heavy damage to all enemies.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Does this game have a PS4 ETA? Looks cool as heck.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

poor life choice posted:

Does this game have a PS4 ETA? Looks cool as heck.

Devs have said that the PS4/Vita versions will happen shortly after actual release, but they have not given any specific time frame that I'm aware of. So right now, some time after Jan. 19 is all we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You know, this is the type of game that would also be a lot of fun on a mobile device like a tablet.