Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

What do you mean there's no option to punch him in his lovely face? It's what i'd do if I caught a fuckhead trying to swipe my phone irl.

Srsly. I savor every second of his frowny face as he turns back around on his stool.
Also, leave me alone, Asian lady I don't want to play your lovely games don't talk to me.
Dumbass guy with the blank disk don't leave your trash in my cubicle thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Applewhite posted:

Dear Cyber Awareness Dev Team: please let the game include an option to be even meaner to the stupid looking fucker who asks to use your BlackBerry to check his email. I hate his idiot face and I'd never let him touch my phone even if it were allowed.

If you chase him somehow the adversary gains points! WHAT THE gently caress!? Notify security asap. WITH WHAT YOU STUPID ASSHAT!?

Also don't do it in Chrome. Your cert will be a black page. Also don't cancel out of the print dialog because you don't have a printer mapped. It kills the session and you may have to start over.

Why yes ask me how I managed to do it 3 times before I got a printed cert, and the the POC for turning them in LOST EVERYONE'S CERT AND I'M A loving RETARD AND DIDN'T SCAN A COPY OR OTHERWISE SAVE IT AND HAD TO DO IT A FOURTH TIME

I hate these stupid CYA training bullshits.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If you chase him somehow the adversary gains points! WHAT THE gently caress!? Notify security asap. WITH WHAT YOU STUPID ASSHAT!?

Also don't do it in Chrome. Your cert will be a black page. Also don't cancel out of the print dialog because you don't have a printer mapped. It kills the session and you may have to start over.

Why yes ask me how I managed to do it 3 times before I got a printed cert, and the the POC for turning them in LOST EVERYONE'S CERT AND I'M A loving RETARD AND DIDN'T SCAN A COPY OR OTHERWISE SAVE IT AND HAD TO DO IT A FOURTH TIME

I hate these stupid CYA training bullshits.

ahahahaha I thought I was mad when I had to do it twice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Didn't the SECNAV say he was getting rid of NKO courses?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thought that was only for GMT.

Cyber is the wave of the future, so obviously the Cyber Awareness Challenge is future proofed.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a DoD requirement so everyone has to do it. It loving sucks.

And in a brilliant move to prove you did it you print the motherfucker and hand it in. Some enterprising individual could just get a copy of one and blank out the name for easy cut and paste. Just get the right font.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

TAD to San Diego for a week, poo poo's glorious. I'm from here, and never managed to get stationed here. 70 degrees all week and god I miss this place so much.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Applewhite posted:

Srsly. I savor every second of his frowny face as he turns back around on his stool.
Also, leave me alone, Asian lady I don't want to play your lovely games don't talk to me.
Dumbass guy with the blank disk don't leave your trash in my cubicle thx.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Doing T-GPS (TAPS) this week. We got a financial brief, and goddamn does the sailor-tailored financial training make me angry. I understand that most sailors have poor background in personal finance and a limited attention span for financial briefs, but for gently caress's sake if the biggest take away is "save more, spend less than you bring in, and you'll build wealth before you know!" is the driving emphasis behind your brief, then you're really doing a disservice to a WHOLE bunch of people and you're probably just wasting time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fart Sandwiches posted:

This is a DoD requirement so everyone has to do it. It loving sucks.

And in a brilliant move to prove you did it you print the motherfucker and hand it in. Some enterprising individual could just get a copy of one and blank out the name for easy cut and paste. Just get the right font.

That's what we did on the ship. Not enough computers, time, and bandwidth for everyone to do it themselves, gently caress that we had real work to do.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Doing T-GPS (TAPS) this week. We got a financial brief, and goddamn does the sailor-tailored financial training make me angry. I understand that most sailors have poor background in personal finance and a limited attention span for financial briefs, but for gently caress's sake if the biggest take away is "save more, spend less than you bring in, and you'll build wealth before you know!" is the driving emphasis behind your brief, then you're really doing a disservice to a WHOLE bunch of people and you're probably just wasting time.

And yet there are homeless vets unaware of the plethora of benefits available to them. And even more who go broke rapidly after separation. Its almost like we're... loving idiots!?

Edit: Also saving more than you spend is baby's first piece of financial advice that like 80% of the military never gets down. Most of the people who went through TAPS that I knew said they slept or hosed off for the entire process.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 3, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Applewhite posted:

Dear Cyber Awareness Dev Team: please let the game include an option to be even meaner to the stupid looking fucker who asks to use your BlackBerry to check his email. I hate his idiot face and I'd never let him touch my phone even if it were allowed.

The best part about that training is that you can play for the red team, answering questions like a cross between a psychotic chimp and Robert Hanssen, and you still get your certificate at the end. Watching the IT guy get more and more despondent throughout the day, as you open every attachment, click all the links, and open the door wide for the Chinese, is the most rewarding part of the whole thing.

I'm really disappointed that calling security does nothing 90% of the time.

code:
"Hey there shipmate, want to go get lunch?"

- Leave
- Remove CAC
> Call security
- Ignore

No response
Well for gently caress's sake guys, what do we even pay you for? What if Carla was a Cylon infiltrator?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kawasaki Nun posted:

And yet there are homeless vets unaware of the plethora of benefits available to them. And even more who go broke rapidly after separation. Its almost like we're... loving idiots!?

Edit: Also saving more than you spend is baby's first piece of financial advice that like 80% of the military never gets down. Most of the people who went through TAPS that I knew said they slept or hosed off for the entire process.

If that's the case then they should probably consider two briefs, one for the mentally handicapped, and one for the people who need to understand that just throwing money into a savings account will literally cost them money.

E:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The training I got said put it in TSP and they make the money go.

Maybe basic money management should be taught during DEP or indoc or some poo poo. If you haven't squirreled away some stacks before you get out AND you don't know poo poo about money then you're hosed by the time you're in TAPS

While true, I used the example of one of my past sailors who had lumped a bunch of money into TSP, but it was in one of the bond funds. He was 28 at the time and had no business in a bonds fund but he just knew that it was a safe investment and so safe=good. To those not in the know, I explained to him that this was bad because he was either barely making any money at all or losing money depending on inflation. That a bond fund makes sense in retirement or near retirement, but not when you're 28.

This stuff is personal to me because my parents very nearly messed up their retirement with some poor moves and I've seen, through them, what individuals who supposedly have their best interests in mind and come from a position of authority, can do to gently caress people over. It gets me angry every time I think about it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

If that's the case then they should probably consider two briefs, one for the mentally handicapped, and one for the people who need to understand that just throwing money into a savings account will literally cost them money.

The training I got said put it in TSP and they make the money go.

Maybe basic money management should be taught during DEP or indoc or some poo poo. If you haven't squirreled away some stacks before you get out AND you don't know poo poo about money then you're hosed by the time you're in TAPS

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My favorite part of TGPS was the resume building piece. "How do you transfer cleaning a p-way into a marketable skill?"

I wonder how that dude that was going to finance his own music studio is doing.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pandasmores posted:

I wonder how that dude that was going to finance his own music studio is doing.

Probably as well as the guy who was gonna open a bar so he had a place to drink with his buddies every night.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Probably as well as the guy who was gonna open a bar so he had a place to drink with his buddies every night.

Is that how Paddy's Pub started?

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's how a lot of failed bars start.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Hey all I'm still in the Navy. Still a nuke. It took five months of ship yards but they finally did it. They broke me. I drink to survive and I keep going back for more. This is officially the first moment I am regretting the navy. Did I at least get close to the high score for bullshit eating? I made it through the nuclear pipeline, a deployment, and a couple orse cycles.

I would not have known how much the navy sucks but they sent me to San Diego for a school. It has been a week since I came back and my wife has told me she saw me break all over again after coming back from San Diego.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

drat dude...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Hey all I'm still in the Navy. Still a nuke. It took five months of ship yards but they finally did it. They broke me. I drink to survive and I keep going back for more. This is officially the first moment I am regretting the navy. Did I at least get close to the high score for bullshit eating? I made it through the nuclear pipeline, a deployment, and a couple orse cycles.

I would not have known how much the navy sucks but they sent me to San Diego for a school. It has been a week since I came back and my wife has told me she saw me break all over again after coming back from San Diego.

everynukeever.txt

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hope your sports car is worth it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:master:
Holy gently caress this is great

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

orange juche posted:

:master:
Holy gently caress this is great

If Jaekwon spent less time spittin fire he'd have his warfare qual :chiefsay:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

You must be a surface nuke. A sub nuke would have broken long before that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Did you STAR for the car? Sounds like you must be about 1/2 way through your initial enlistment. Atleast you won't be headed back to the yards again with any luck. I remember sleeping on the boat alot of nights during drydock just so I would have time to PT and not lose my loving mind.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 4, 2015

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I was all about STARring when I was a young pup. Fortunately, my bitter as gently caress prototype crew told me how much of a terrible idea it was.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i spent just over 3 years on my boat. when i got to it it was just leaving the yards. while i was there it went into the yards 4 times. when i left it was in the yards.

only did 1 westpac and that was the only real fun i had

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Real Talk:

Sailors work pretty hard almost all the time. I know Marines have the risk of getting shot or blown up or whatever but in garrison they don't actually do all that much. Even in the yards, all the dudes on my ship are working like hebrew slaves. I almost feel bad going home at lunch every day because I don't have anything to do. Then I remember it took me more than 15 years to find a skate job like this and I feel slightly less bad.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ded posted:

i spent just over 3 years on my boat. when i got to it it was just leaving the yards. while i was there it went into the yards 4 times. when i left it was in the yards.

only did 1 westpac and that was the only real fun i had

i was with my boat for just under 2 1/2 years and managed to pick up 3 Sea service ribbons before going into drydock. Like a month in I missed being deployed

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Just a reminder if you go nuke you are literally retarded because just a quick ask on any military place, like this one, will say don't go nuke. I still picked a stupid sub job but I knew drat well to not go nuke.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Deploying next year to Nippon in all of it's glory. Word is our LPO for our group failed dudes for room inspections in Aghanistan for dirt, in the desert. Should be interesting.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 4, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

Deploying next year to Nippon in all of it's glory. Word is our LPO for our group failed dudes for room inspections in Aghanistan for dirt, in the desert. Should be interesting.

As part of 7th fleet? Can't imagine it would make much of a difference. Do they currently have widespread liberty restriction or are they due for another clamping down?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I don't even know nor care what our command structure is for this thing. I'm a Seabee so no, whatever ship things you're referencing, just no

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Bunch of my friends are celebrating orders to the Reagan. What kind of poo poo can they expect?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just curious. Did Carter turn down an offer to have a carrier named after him? Bush I can understand with him being legit Navy but Reagan? Is there a Clinton in the works?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LingcodKilla posted:

Just curious. Did Carter turn down an offer to have a carrier named after him? Bush I can understand with him being legit Navy but Reagan? Is there a Clinton in the works?

quote:

USS Jimmy Carter—By designating a Seawolf-class submarine USS Jimmy Carter, the Navy perhaps dodged the conundrum of having to name an aircraft carrier in honor of a former president who had not been a supporter of the carrier program. Fortunately for the Navy, the fact that Carter (the only president to have graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy) had served as a submariner, made the naming-decision an ostensibly appropriate honor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That's bitchin'. Always talk of the carriers and wow I didn't even realize Carter was an officer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

That's bitchin'. Always talk of the carriers and wow I didn't even realize Carter was an officer.

Peanut farming diesel-electric boat converted to nuclear UNDER RICKOVER and also supervised a meltdown reactor cleanup. And all anyone ever wanted to say about him was that he sucks because he ~stole the white house~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

I don't even know nor care what our command structure is for this thing. I'm a Seabee so no, whatever ship things you're referencing, just no

We had Bees onboard the LHD but, then again it was for a humanitarian assistance operation (which is why I and the staff was there too).

You should be looking forward to shipboard life as a Seabee since it is like being a Marine on ship. Sleep, eat, work out, and get in the way of ship's company. Plus smoke and stand in lines.

• Locked thread