Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Question about Jurassic World. It's explained that the public is losing interest with dinosaurs so they start combining the DNA to make super ultra cool ones in secret. But the park is loving insane busy. There's what, several thousand people there? Thirty, fifty? Seeing as it's an island and you can only have so many people there safely, the park seemed at max capacity. So either someone really wanted to LEGO piece some dinosaurs or the park had a free day, which might explain the money issues.

The monster is capitalism. The demand for constant exponential growth in spite of reality and sanity will destroy us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they were only focusing on the Raptor's for the military. The new one was to increase interest in the park. It could have been a thing were based off projections they were noticing less and less people were coming.

No the i rex was for the military too it had active cammo and thermal sensor deceiving poo poo that wasn't an accident or coincidence, it was a prototype for new super raptors for the military.

Edit: Like jurrasic world and ingen are two separate companies ingen is working on super raptors for the military and jurrasic world calls them up and is like "hi guys we need a new dino." and ingen 's all "yeah sure we have just the thing" -flips t-rex and raptor ratios and ships it out to let JW test this poo poo- "lol not telling you what it's made of just call it i-rex"

Elfgames has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Nov 2, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ignite Memories posted:

IIRC there was definitely a shield around arrakeen. Wasn't that the whole point of the end, where he used atomics on the mountain range itself, thus obliterating the natural cover arrakeen had from the sandstorms, which hosed up their shields and allowed the fremen to attack unhindered? He technically wasn't breaking the rules because he used the atomics on an unoccupied landmass, then attacked the baron's forces conventionally.. Still wouldn't have been a good idea to attack arrakeen with a laser, though, as even if the baron didn't care about drawing the ire of the other houses he still would have been destroying a city he needed to rule Arrakis effectively.

What part of knife wielding space muslim ninjas riding giant worms is conventional.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rebel Blob posted:

I'd swear there was an interview with one of the writers or producers explaining that when they initially came up with Chuck's problem, it was meant as something weird and unique that was an obvious mask for his mental problems. Unfortunately they were unaware of the wider existence of "EM sensitivity," so Chuck's condition came off as far less strange than intended. After Chuck's first appearance they quickly learned all about EM sensitivity as they had unwittingly stumbled onto it. Though I can't for the life of me find this interview now.

E: Thanks!

Hah, that's actually pretty funny. Truth stranger than fiction or whatever.

Ignite Memories posted:

IIRC there was definitely a shield around arrakeen. Wasn't that the whole point of the end, where he used atomics on the mountain range itself, thus obliterating the natural cover arrakeen had from the sandstorms, which hosed up their shields and allowed the fremen to attack unhindered? He technically wasn't breaking the rules because he used the atomics on an unoccupied landmass, then attacked the baron's forces conventionally.. Still wouldn't have been a good idea to attack arrakeen with a laser, though, as even if the baron didn't care about drawing the ire of the other houses he still would have been destroying a city he needed to rule Arrakis effectively.

I can't remember the book, but the film and TV show both definitely depict a shield around the capital city. But only the capital city.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Nov 2, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't remember the book, but the film and TV show both definitely depict a shield around the capital city. But only the capital city.

Checked the book, he's right.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of the Dune films, IMM is all the changes Lynch made to the story. Most of the film I think works really well, but taking something established and popular like Frank Herbert and inserting your own poo poo into it is just weird. (I'm mostly talking about the sonic weapons here, but also some key dialogue and poo poo) I guess that's Lynch for you, gotta do his own weirdness.

It'd be like if you were making a Lord of the Rings movie and you decided to just introduce an entirely new fantasy race. Like oh yeah, there's a centaur in the fellowship of the ring, and his name is Deckard or something. You can't just go doing that. I understand omitting characters for time but adding in poo poo just feels wrong. As much as I disagree with Jackson's filmmaking in some ways, at least he mostly stayed true to Tolkein--

Oh, I just remembered Tauriel :smith:

In retrospect I guess most book to film adaptations change a lot, ("The book was better!") but it feels like its usually omission rather than addition.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

So I saw The Martian yesterday and mostly enjoyed it but:

Did anyone else think the characters and the dialogue sucked? They were all so one dimensional. Even Damon, who I usually like...I dunno...all the stuff about hating disco and the quippy one-liners really took me out of the film. Same with all the other supporting characters. Things that were supposed to make me chuckle and sometimes laugh I found detracted from my immersion in the movie. And everyone calculating poo poo on the fly, be it to rescue Damon or figure out how to deal with the press conferences, the money and the potential blowback, just all seemed so convenient and lazily written. Jeff Daniels and the NASA guy who figured out the solution I found especially annoying.

It was a pretty good flick but as far as "stranded in a remote location" movies go, I much preferred "Castaway", "Lord of the Flies" and even "Enemy Mine" and "The Thing".

Sounds accurate to the book, which is the contemporary nadir of dialogue and character writing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of the Dune films, IMM is all the changes Lynch made to the story. Most of the film I think works really well, but taking something established and popular like Frank Herbert and inserting your own poo poo into it is just weird. (I'm mostly talking about the sonic weapons here, but also some key dialogue and poo poo) I guess that's Lynch for you, gotta do his own weirdness.

It'd be like if you were making a Lord of the Rings movie and you decided to just introduce an entirely new fantasy race. Like oh yeah, there's a centaur in the fellowship of the ring, and his name is Deckard or something. You can't just go doing that. I understand omitting characters for time but adding in poo poo just feels wrong. As much as I disagree with Jackson's filmmaking in some ways, at least he mostly stayed true to Tolkein--

In retrospect I guess most book to film adaptations change a lot, ("The book was better!") but it feels like its usually omission rather than addition.

Special agent tom sawyer here to american up this british poof fest of a league!

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Elfgames posted:

No the i rex was for the military too it had active cammo and thermal sensor deceiving poo poo that wasn't an accident or coincidence, it was a prototype for new super raptors for the military.

Edit: Like jurrasic world and ingen are two separate companies ingen is working on super raptors for the military and jurrasic world calls them up and is like "hi guys we need a new dino." and ingen 's all "yeah sure we have just the thing" -flips t-rex and raptor ratios and ships it out to let JW test this poo poo- "lol not telling you what it's made of just call it i-rex"

The big secret of "whats it made of?" and the big reveal that it's part raptor threw me. it's super intelligent and vicious - I could've sworn up to that point they were going with human DNA. Instead the dinosaur is also part dinosaur.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

TheBlackVegetable posted:

The big secret of "whats it made of?" and the big reveal that it's part raptor threw me. it's super intelligent and vicious - I could've sworn up to that point they were going with human DNA. Instead the dinosaur is also part dinosaur.

I think in some of the side materials, it's mentioned that there is human DNA in there.

Not sure where I read/heard that, now that I think about it...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh god where to start.
- the voice over intro explaining the Butlerian Jihad and minutia of the political system that are never mentioned again
-the fact that the intro is so long it has a summary at the end
- Thufir and Gurney both being massive dicks to Paul.
- we see Leto write a letter, the we see the Baron reading it, repeating what we know
- keeping the fantastic "we may be able to save your son, but for the father, nothing! " conversation, but never following up what it is that they actually do to help, because the Missionara Protectiva are never mentioned
- "I have deduced things from your voice, and will explain them to you very clumsily"
- "my name is a killing word" gently caress off

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Zaphod42 posted:

My go to "the book was better", where the movie was worse because they added stuff is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

They added Tom Sawyer for no good reason, (to appeal to the Americans), and they made the lady a Vampire for worse reasons, (a complex rounded female character is poo poo, lets make her a vampire with powers and poo poo.)

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I think I am one of the few people that likes the Lynch Dune, but I had been watching it since I was like 5/6 (my mom was weird) I read the books latter on and do like them better then the movie but the movie is still great.

One general stroke. Charters who have seen amazing things, out of the norm, fantastic magical things etc but as soon as new things happen we get the entire thing of "that's not possible" "I refuse to believe it"

Jurassic world. You have your multi billion dollar creation in a cage but don't bother with more then a handful of cameras. "Were those claw marks always there?" "The cameras don't pick him up in the cage!"

Ohh I don't know how about rewind all the cameras to the last time you saw it and watch to see if it escaped. Oh it didnt? And the tracking device shows it still there? Guess that fucker has camouflage.

Oh look boss there's hundreds of flying carnivores headed to out guests if there was only some way to stop them like some kind of tracking device that can also stun the animal. No? Oh well.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Darth Freddy posted:

I think I am one of the few people that likes the Lynch Dune, but I had been watching it since I was like 5/6 (my mom was weird) I read the books latter on and do like them better then the movie but the movie is still great.

One general stroke. Charters who have seen amazing things, out of the norm, fantastic magical things etc but as soon as new things happen we get the entire thing of "that's not possible" "I refuse to believe it"

Jurassic world. You have your multi billion dollar creation in a cage but don't bother with more then a handful of cameras. "Were those claw marks always there?" "The cameras don't pick him up in the cage!"

Ohh I don't know how about rewind all the cameras to the last time you saw it and watch to see if it escaped. Oh it didnt? And the tracking device shows it still there? Guess that fucker has camouflage.

Oh look boss there's hundreds of flying carnivores headed to out guests if there was only some way to stop them like some kind of tracking device that can also stun the animal. No? Oh well.

Not to mention how boss lady waits until she is halfway back to the main park area before calling the control room and telling them to activate the tracker. What in the gently caress was she waiting for, why didn't she do it the moment they suspected it escaped.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The worst mistake in the Dune movie was the decision to overexplain all the backstory from the book rather than trim the focus to the bare basic setting and the characters' story. Not knowing much about the filming, it reeks of the kind of studio interference that later torpedoed the third Alien movie. I recall a scene where a character makes a prophetic statement, the prophecy comes true in the next scene and the story pauses so a flashback voiceover can repeat the prophecy from five minutes ago. Knowing that Lynch is about as far as you can get from a director who holds his audience's hand it struck me as a dumb addition and one of the many reasons he rightly Smithee'd the movie.

Which brings me to my favorite part of Dune, the opening credits proudly proclaiming "An Alan Smithee Film" in gigantic letters like it was something to be proud of.

Edit: Upon looking it up like I should have done before posting I learned that the Smithee credit is only in some cuts. I'm glad I got one with it, it set me up with the right mentality for the rest of the film.

Wild T has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Nov 3, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
There is also the the weird sonic weapon that turned certain words into deadly blasts instead of just martial arts. Which is really weird, since they left in the explanation about the shields and laser weapons and most of the fights were melee fights.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Carpenter's The Thing is easily in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, but something that's always bugged me was the scene in which Wilford Brimley examines the symbiotic cells under a microscope and his computer just happens to have graphics prepared to represent the abstract act of the alien cells devouring the dog cells. Not only that, but his computer is loaded with a program that can project worldwide infection rates of a cell entirely unknown to science. In an arctic outpost.

"Projection: If intruder organism reaches civilized areas . . .

Entire world population infected 27,000 hours from first contact"

...and the CG flying saucer scene. Does the audience really need help wrapping their head around the organism being an alien? My definitive cut of The Thing would just remove those two scenes for a flawless film.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Question about Jurassic World. It's explained that the public is losing interest with dinosaurs so they start combining the DNA to make super ultra cool ones in secret. But the park is loving insane busy. There's what, several thousand people there? Thirty, fifty? Seeing as it's an island and you can only have so many people there safely, the park seemed at max capacity. So either someone really wanted to LEGO piece some dinosaurs or the park had a free day, which might explain the money issues.

There's a quick line when boss lady is talking to boss man in the helicopter, something like "growth is at 2.5% which is below projections".

So people aren't getting bored of dinosaurs, the park isn't even losing visitors, they're just not keeping up with some bullshit number the corporate shitheads have decided should be the goal.

Therefore we should make 1998's Godzilla.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Carpenter's The Thing is easily in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, but something that's always bugged me was the scene in which Wilford Brimley examines the symbiotic cells under a microscope and his computer just happens to have graphics prepared to represent the abstract act of the alien cells devouring the dog cells. Not only that, but his computer is loaded with a program that can project worldwide infection rates of a cell entirely unknown to science. In an arctic outpost.

...and the CG flying saucer scene. Does the audience really need help wrapping their head around the organism being an alien? My definitive cut of The Thing would just remove those two scenes for a flawless film.

He had re-tasked his diabeetus results.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Mister Nobody posted:

Not to mention how boss lady waits until she is halfway back to the main park area before calling the control room and telling them to activate the tracker. What in the gently caress was she waiting for, why didn't she do it the moment they suspected it escaped.

Well that's the irony of the Jurassic flicks. The lesson is supposed to be that if we try to control nature it will destroy us! Assuming you are isolated on an island with no weapons. In the first one it's was 10-15 people with like 2 shotguns between them. In the new one they have a swat team but it's still just handguns. I'd hesitate to go after a rampaging herd of elephants with them, let alone a couple of building sized lizards. So yeah, if you set up a hypothetical situation where we can't control the thing we have created, then the thing we have created can destroy us. Good point! If we build a giant-lizard park they should definitiely have better security.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Deified Data posted:

For me, it is the final fight. The VFX look so much worse than the rest of the movie.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh god where to start.
- the voice over intro explaining the Butlerian Jihad and minutia of the political system that are never mentioned again
-the fact that the intro is so long it has a summary at the end
- "my name is a killing word" gently caress off

The killing word thing is as far as i remember actually a line in the book, it just because literal. I kind of agree with lynch, kungfu on the dunes would just look ridiculous without something like modern effects to show some of the weirder poo poo like dragonball levels of speed for the bene gesserit. I don't remember the mini-series, was leto wicked fast before he put on his wormsuit? I remember him running through the desert vaguely.

The first two points though yeah. The weird fade in and out repeatedly thing for the princess while she was talking was bizarre.

You should def check out the dictionary pamphlet though, they gave it out in theatres and it is hilarious.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
What always bugged me about the Thing is that they establish pretty well that every piece of the thing can in fact act as an independent agent, right down to the cellular level, so blowing it up with dynamite only really spreads highly infective cells all over the place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

e X posted:

There is also the the weird sonic weapon that turned certain words into deadly blasts instead of just martial arts. Which is really weird, since they left in the explanation about the shields and laser weapons and most of the fights were melee fights.

Yeah that was the original complaint I made. Like its cool enough on its own, sonic weapons and all, "my name is a killing word" is pretty cool... but uh, not loving Dune.

Make your own sci-fi world if you wanna explore sonic weapons.

Darth Freddy posted:

Don't get me wrong, like I said I do enjoy the Lynch Dune. I just have some complaints is all.

Another is the thopters looking like flying wedges of cheese, but hey they didn't have supercomputer CG back then.

As for Jurassic World, how does she go so long without checking on the kids or the assistant? I guess its a plot point that she's a lovely Aunt, but god drat lady.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

e X posted:

What always bugged me about the Thing is that they establish pretty well that every piece of the thing can in fact act as an independent agent, right down to the cellular level, so blowing it up with dynamite only really spreads highly infective cells all over the place.

I think the idea is that the blast will kill a large number of the cells, and the live ones that survived will freeze and become dormant unless someone touches it. It's been a while since I've seen it, but is it established that the cells of The Thing undergo mitosis, or is the only way The Thing can grow by appropriating cells from its victims?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Byzantine posted:

There's a quick line when boss lady is talking to boss man in the helicopter, something like "growth is at 2.5% which is below projections".

So people aren't getting bored of dinosaurs, the park isn't even losing visitors, they're just not keeping up with some bullshit number the corporate shitheads have decided should be the goal.

Therefore we should make 1998's Godzilla.

That's the real horror of the film, and it's there by accident. The needless corporate greed destroys us all.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

BiggerBoat posted:

So I saw The Martian yesterday and mostly enjoyed it but:

Did anyone else think the characters and the dialogue sucked? They were all so one dimensional. Even Damon, who I usually like...I dunno...all the stuff about hating disco and the quippy one-liners really took me out of the film. Same with all the other supporting characters. Things that were supposed to make me chuckle and sometimes laugh I found detracted from my immersion in the movie. And everyone calculating poo poo on the fly, be it to rescue Damon or figure out how to deal with the press conferences, the money and the potential blowback, just all seemed so convenient and lazily written. Jeff Daniels and the NASA guy who figured out the solution I found especially annoying.

I saw The Martian and hated it for exactly those reasons.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

My go to "the book was better", where the movie was worse because they added stuff is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

They added Tom Sawyer for no good reason, (to appeal to the Americans), and they made the lady a Vampire for worse reasons, (a complex rounded female character is poo poo, lets make her a vampire with powers and poo poo.)
It's not so much that they added stuff, more like they made their own movie based on vaguely the same premise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

e X posted:

One of the biggest bullshit things in the book is that the Fremen are meant to be deadlier fighters than even the Sardaukar, who are the most feared soldiers in the galaxy, and yet they still need to be taught martial arts.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Deified Data posted:

I liked they way 2011's Thing showed them looking in a microscope instead because it makes more sense but I don't think the CGI was there in 1982 because

Aleph Null posted:

For me, it is the final fight. The VFX look so much worse than the rest of the movie.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

I think in some of the side materials, it's mentioned that there is human DNA in there.

Not sure where I read/heard that, now that I think about it...

there was a past script that had dino human hybrids i think, but really raptors are already basically dino humans, they coordinate, open doors, have a language.

But i really love jurrasic world, the whole premise is confirmation of ian's rant, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk they litterally weild genetic power like a kid with a gun they, they never even visited the old park and yet they took the next step.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Synnr posted:

The killing word thing is as far as i remember actually a line in the book, it just because literal. I kind of agree with lynch, kungfu on the dunes would just look ridiculous without something like modern effects to show some of the weirder poo poo like dragonball levels of speed for the bene gesserit. I don't remember the mini-series, was leto wicked fast before he put on his wormsuit? I remember him running through the desert vaguely.

The first two points though yeah. The weird fade in and out repeatedly thing for the princess while she was talking was bizarre.

You should def check out the dictionary pamphlet though, they gave it out in theatres and it is hilarious.

He did the crazy running after the worm suit, which brings me to my next IMM:
- "running really fast " being represented as the character become a streak or blur, that itself moves very slowly. Ugly, dumb, and boring.

I can't remember any kungfu in the series, but I'll assume it was dreadful. A modern adaptation is most likely to make it bullet time, which is both dull, and exactly the opposite of how Herbert described it.

I would like to a film adapt Honoured Matre fighting - where every limb and reflex is independent, so they'll kick you in the face while only moving one leg, or end up contorting into bizarre postures while somehow keeping their balance.

Give me a budget, I'll make it happen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I always loved David Foster Wallace's description of Kyle Maclachlan as a potato head

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Elfgames posted:

, but really raptors are already basically dino humans, they coordinate, open doors, have a language.

Dogs can do all those things too

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

nexus6 posted:

I liked they way 2011's Thing showed them looking in a microscope instead
Except, unless I'm remembering wrong, there's some sort of 'under-water' sound effect when they look through the microscope. Which doesn't make sense at all, why would the microscope also be enhancing sound?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Eh! Frank posted:

Except, unless I'm remembering wrong, there's some sort of 'under-water' sound effect when they look through the microscope. Which doesn't make sense at all, why would the microscope also be enhancing sound?

As with the sound effects of the lightsabres in Star Wars, it improves the movie if you imagine it's the characters who produce those sounds.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Eh! Frank posted:

I don't remember it distinctly but maybe MEW is making sounds with her mouth to add drama. You know, like those shows that add roars to insect fights.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There are a lot of stupid things in Jurassic World that only get stupider when you then about it but it hit that nostalgia spot for a lot of people. I expect the newest star wars movie to be in a similar situation.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I was in the shower today thinking about the end of The Thing (1982). First off, don't judge what I ponder about while staying fresh.

But the third act really bugs me from what was all around a very tight, paranoid film that relied on characters acting intelligently despite their paranoia. Mac performs a blood test and isolates four characters who we can trust are human. Immediately, these characters display trust for the first time that they believe in each others' humanity and decide to forfeit their lives and destroy the facility to spare the world at large.

Why, then, does their only plan involve splitting up by themselves? They leave Childs alone by a door with one flamethrower, ensuring they could no longer trust him because he's been alone. The three others split up in the basement because they need to plant explosives across multiple areas that the Thing is sure to interfere with to save its own skin. Two men die and the third and fourth potentially assimilated all because one dude figured this arbitrary doorway required the last of their functioning flamethrowers. Why not partner the four up and provide security for each other, plant the bombs and kablooey?

Then again, it feeds into that final two-man(?) confrontation that still makes me ponder a dozen "what if?" scenarios, so from a raw storytelling perspective I could almost forgive the characters acting foolish once in their sleep-deprived, stressed state. But the plot relies on them receiving validation that the unknowable horror probably acts in this specific way, so let's ignore that for now to maybe burn an alien diabetic.

Edit: Though to be fair, one of my favorite things about The Thing came from a commentary track in which Kurt Russell stated in the finale his charactization of Mac was that he was still human and had tucked a flamethrower nozzle under his coat. If you tie this back to an earlier scene of Fuchs advising they prepare their own meals to avoid contamination, Childs' accepting the offer of scotch without hesitation can be seen as an admission of guilt. If you follow Kurt's idea, then, Mac starts the movie by cheating his way out of a losing chess game and ends the movie winning the ultimate chess game by using the same bottle of scotch.

Wild T has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

While it's good that the ending of the Thing is ambiguous, I think it works best thematically if both Childs and Mac are human. That's somehow even a bleaker scenario than if one of them was a Thing, and it refocuses the story back onto the characters themselves, which was the strongest element of that movie.