Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fox. Sony is Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
A Punisher series could have the potential to be amazing if they just adapted stories like The Slavers etc.. from Garth Ennis's Punisher run. Just make it as dark as gently caress.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They'll never go full Ennis with the MCU Punisher.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Hollismason posted:

A Punisher series could have the potential to be amazing if they just adapted stories like The Slavers etc.. from Garth Ennis's Punisher run. Just make it as dark as gently caress.

Sure if they really want to, but don't try to make him part of the Defenders team and don't deny me on screen Heroes for Hire because of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if they bump Iron Fist to make room for Punisher wanking I'll be put off. There's enough of that poo poo out there already. There is not nearly enough Western Wuxia.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mind the walrus posted:

They'll never go full Ennis with the MCU Punisher.

Good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's been a long time since I've seen a man punch a bear.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen a man punch a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6URpGymR7A

This video doesn't have bear punching footage but we can't have a conversation about RL bearface punching without it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9c05bvN6Z0

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If they really wanted to replace Iron Fist there's no way they'd be doing so with Punisher, because he just don't fit in the team the series are building to. The MCU has no end of other characters they could replace Danny with that'd fit more in line with that aesthetic, like Moon Knight, so the fact it's always Punisher, just after he got confirmed for appearing in Daredevil season two makes me sure they're just baseless rumors. Marvel would have had to consider the fact that the Iron Fist series would strike a somewhat different tone when they were deciding who to put in the deal with Netflix anyways, so it's not like they wouldn't have been aware of this and planned for it from the start. They might change their mind, but there's literally no way they're changing it for the Punisher. Especially not when Netflix has already confirmed a second wave of shows that they could just as easily put him in.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This video doesn't have bear punching footage but we can't have a conversation about RL bearface punching without it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9c05bvN6Z0

Incidentally, I just finished listening to Brian Blessed's autobiography on audiobook and it's well worth a listen. There's nothing about polar bear punching in it, but he's got such a great personality and powerful voice and reads it himself so it really does feel like just sitting down round and having a comfy, if rather explosive at times, conversation with him. It opens with him telling his story about making GBS threads on mount Everest and has an entire chapter dedicated to making Flash Gordon, including terrorizing all the midgets who were on set how he got so excited to be playing his childhood hero Vultan that when he was given a cardboard bazooka for one scene that he started making gun noises while flying around because he forgot he was on set and not a child again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rumors originally never said anything about Punisher replacing Iron Fist on the Defenders team.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The rumors originally never said anything about Punisher replacing Iron Fist on the Defenders team.

Sticking Punisher in the Defenders is the kind of dumb focus grouped move I'd expect from Sony, but I don't believe Marvel would fall for it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

tsob posted:

The MCU has no end of other characters they could replace Danny with that'd fit more in line with that aesthetic, like Moon Knight, so the fact it's always Punisher

Yes, a psychopath with MPD is a better fit than Punisher, who isn't a good fit at all either. :rolleyes:

Found the article:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Marvel-May-Make-Huge-Change-Its-Netflix-Shows-96177.html

Most likely baseless rumor, but there you go. One thing I don't buy is the problem with the mystical element, since it was hinted at in Daredevil S1 with the Hand and Madame Gao.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hinted but not in the least bit demonstrated.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

You don't count the tiny old lady with superpowers as a demonstration of something supernatural?

(In an otherwise preternatural show, no less)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aphrodite posted:

The grandma. Laid a hit. On the motherfuckin Daredevil.

Serf
May 5, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The grandma. Laid a hit. On the motherfuckin Daredevil.

Lots of people land hits on Daredevil. That's kinda his shtick in this show, getting beat up real bad but still winning. What is notable is that her hit tossed him back like ten yards. Madame Gao is supernatural as gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

Lots of people land hits on Daredevil. That's kinda his shtick in this show, getting beat up real bad but still winning. What is notable is that her hit tossed him back like ten yards. Madame Gao is supernatural as gently caress.

She also claims to speak all languages and be from much farther away than China. So I'm sure there's people that think she's an alien robot instead of being magical, but who care about them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you think a tired old stereotype tired old stereotyping Daredevil in a fight is a heavy foundation for dragon fighting you're crazy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

If you think a tired old stereotype tired old stereotyping Daredevil in a fight is a heavy foundation for dragon fighting you're crazy.

Iron Fist is entirely made up of tired old wuxia stereotypes, so yes I'm saying that them putting several of those in DD counts as "hinting" at mystical poo poo existing in universe.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not to mention Stick, Stone, and whatever Black Heart (is that the name? I forget...) is supposed to be. That seemed like it was really mystical stuff.

I think Marvel needs to tell whoever on the IF series keeps saying they have no idea how to do mysticism in the show to go watch Daredevil.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kheldarn posted:

Not to mention Stick, Stone, and whatever Black Heart (is that the name? I forget...) is supposed to be. That seemed like it was really mystical stuff.

I think Marvel needs to tell whoever on the IF series keeps saying they have no idea how to do mysticism in the show to go watch Daredevil.

I don't even think anyone is actually saying this, though. All we keep getting is unsubstantiated rumors and then people come and poo poo up the thread with "but mysticism could bve problematic IN MY MARVELUNIVERS" and then we have the exact same discussion on every page. There's nothing new to discuss. We're just talking circles around hypotheticals.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The mystical stuff in Daredevil S1 is mostly implicit and a long way from what a halfway decent IF adaptation would have to do.

That said, DD S2 looks to have more of an emphasis on the Hand, and there are rumors of Gao in Luke Cage, so that may be less of problem by the end of next year or spring 2017 or whenever IF is supposed to premiere.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've always thought the biggest problem any potential Iron Fist series would have to overcome would be dealing with a white dude running around being a ninja or whatever -- particularly after Daredevil didn't do a fantastic job either. (Asians are all ninja assassins who want real estate. Great job guys).

But to fix that, you'd just cast an actual Asian dude in the lead role. Problem solved.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

The mystical stuff in Daredevil S1 is mostly implicit and a long way from what a halfway decent IF adaptation would have to do.

Of course it is. Because Daredevil isn't about those things.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Snak posted:

Of course it is. Because Daredevil isn't about those things.

Well, sure, but magic fists, CG dragons, and interdimensional portals are pretty far removed tonally from DD S1 and what we've seen of JJ.

I wouldn't mind a drastic tonal shift from the other series at all, but then, I'm not involved with the show.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've always thought the biggest problem any potential Iron Fist series would have to overcome would be dealing with a white dude running around being a ninja or whatever -- particularly after Daredevil didn't do a fantastic job either. (Asians are all ninja assassins who want real estate. Great job guys).

But to fix that, you'd just cast an actual Asian dude in the lead role. Problem solved.

Matt Murdock and Stick are both white blind ninjas, and The Hand is steeped in mysticism. And one of the big things about Danny Rand, Iron Fist, member of the Defenders is the whole rich white guy angle, which would be defeated by casting an Asian in the role. Danny Rand should be pretty easy to do as far as Iron Fist goes.

I'm more interested in if they're going with the standard origin of Luke Cage, since it is Black guy goes to jail, has experiments done to him, gets impenetrable skin.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think people are really overselling the amount of expensive mysticism in Iron Fist. It's like almost entirely limited to kung fu with glowy hands and a dragon corpse that'll show up once. If the other Immortal Weapons show up you add some green mist and spiders, while upping the set destruction by 5 or so.

The transfer between dimensions usually takes place in blizzard conditions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think it will just be a slow drip as more super powers/mysticism/big picture stuff gets introduced with each series. Whether or not Iron Fist happens will depend on how that's received but it doesn't make any sense to believe random rumors that they're scrapping it and going in a bizarre new direction with Punisher before Jones has even been premiered. This all feels like people on the internet getting antsy between seasons and speculating stuff. Punished gets introduced to the world and we don't hear anything about Iron Fist except that he's probably not in the Cage series so now some people panic and say he's been cut out and replaced with Punisher.

All we can do is wait and see what's official and real.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Coffeehitler posted:

Yes, a psychopath with MPD is a better fit than Punisher, who isn't a good fit at all either. :rolleyes:

Moon Knight at least has a history of being on teams, albeit usually briefly. And having moon knight with a no-kill rule (which Khunshu is always pushing him to break) would be a better fit for the defenders than punisher. I know modern moon knight currently kills enemies at times, but having him as a former mercenary who doesnt want to kill anyone as a masked vigilante wouldnt particularly change the character, murder isnt intrinsic to the character concept like it is with punisher.

So if they were making the mistake of pulling iron fist for another character, moon knight would be absolutely a better fit than punisher. But pretty much any marvel character would be a better fit that punisher for a defenders team with a no-kill rule daredevil. Unless you are suggesting that they go all A-team with the punisher and have him fire hundreds of bullets that somehow never actually kill anyone.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Replace Iron Fist with Squirrel Girl, crush it, set the conventional wisdom on fire.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'm That MCU Fan who'd never heard of Iron Fist or the Defenders before they were announced on Netflix, and generally knows the movies a lot better than any comic stuff (besides cosmic marvel stuff, which I binged on the marvel unlimited app). I'm the guy who loved DD to death, but doesn't quite get motherfucking dragons intersecting with a New York set Marvel show. It took some effort to make the Asgardians make sense to me with the Thor/Avengers/Agents of Shield appearances, but those pieces fit now. When I think of dragons, though, I think of lord of the rings, the hobbit, and game of thrones. Not Marvel.

I'm not saying what will or won't be, or whether it'd be good or bad. So far the 10 year track record is really loving good for everything Marvel. I'm just saying that as a not particularly deep comic reader I don't know of Iron Fist, am not enthused about it, and don't get how to fit in a hong kong mystical wuxia flick into the MCU without it feeling really disconnected from all the existing properties.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I haven't read Iron Fist either but in a universe with a talking raccoon and a magical flying man with a hammer and great hair, dragons and wuxia is where fandom hits its limit?

This is confusing. Please explain.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

I think people are really overselling the amount of expensive mysticism in Iron Fist. It's like almost entirely limited to kung fu with glowy hands and a dragon corpse that'll show up once. If the other Immortal Weapons show up you add some green mist and spiders, while upping the set destruction by 5 or so.

The transfer between dimensions usually takes place in blizzard conditions.

Yeah, I agree. I don't get why people are so hung up on how difficult it'd be to portray more mystical/fantasy elements.

Daredevil already introduced a lot of the fantasy wuxia stuff with mystical ninja clans and interdimensional kung-fu grannies and demons inside children, and that fit just fine with the rest of the show. I imagine they'll just play fast and loose with the Iron Fist source material, and tone down the magical elements. Mystical Chinatown spice shops, subtle ki power effects, magical doorways...they just have to imply a hidden magic universe underneath the gritty NYC setting, which has way more to do with atmosphere and implication than blunt-force effects work.

Actually showing a magic Chinese city or a fight with a dragon would be more demanding, but I can bet both of those things will be discussed more than shown.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's really no different from Asgard. There's a set of magical cities of Heaven that exist in separate dimensions from both Earth and Asgard. Instead of being modeled after medieval Europe, it's modeled after medieval China (though they probably don't call it medieval there) and there's a load of monks training to be awesome warriors there, with a hierarchy of their own. The most awesome warrior gets to pick up Mjolnir face a dragon in ritual combat, and if they win, they touch the dragon's heart and their fists become a living weapon, harder than steel and able to channel mystical energy. Thor channels magic through Mjolnir, Danny channels it through his hands.

Danny also has his own Loki, a guy called the Steel Serpent, who instead of being a bastard son who resents his fake father due to feeling neglected in favor of the real son, resents his real father because the fake son outsider beats him and gets to face the dragon instead of him. He becomes the avatar of Madame Gao, the Steel Serpent, who was presumably grooming Fisk as her avatar until he failed her and she booked it. He wants to kill Danny to prove he's the better fighter and should have had the honor of facing the dragon - though if I recall, he did face him before Danny in some stories, bottled it and failed.

The stories operate almost identically in most ways. Thor and Danny have mystical home dimensions they can travel to as needed, but spend most of the time we see them in New York or tooling around someplace else on Earth beating up folks and trying to help the world. Thor has his hammer, Danny his fists and both occasionally fight magical constructs or armies of fantasy beings for the safety of Earth. If you feel that Thor works, then there's no reason to fear that Danny won't, because there's no real fundamental difference at the end of the day.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 2, 2015

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pander posted:

I'm That MCU Fan who'd never heard of Iron Fist or the Defenders before they were announced on Netflix, and generally knows the movies a lot better than any comic stuff (besides cosmic marvel stuff, which I binged on the marvel unlimited app). I'm the guy who loved DD to death, but doesn't quite get motherfucking dragons intersecting with a New York set Marvel show. It took some effort to make the Asgardians make sense to me with the Thor/Avengers/Agents of Shield appearances, but those pieces fit now. When I think of dragons, though, I think of lord of the rings, the hobbit, and game of thrones. Not Marvel.

I'm not saying what will or won't be, or whether it'd be good or bad. So far the 10 year track record is really loving good for everything Marvel. I'm just saying that as a not particularly deep comic reader I don't know of Iron Fist, am not enthused about it, and don't get how to fit in a hong kong mystical wuxia flick into the MCU without it feeling really disconnected from all the existing properties.

Something like 99% of the "dragons" iron fist has ever fought have been kung fu dudes with "dragon" in their name. The actual dragon fight is just the origin story (and think more chinese dragon rather than hobbit dragon). Have you ever seen a film where someone wins the fight by forgetting their self doubt and focussing all their emotions in to one crucial strike? Because that is basically iron fists power. if you can get behind DDs "I can heal faster by meditating" then honestly iron fist doesnt need to be that much of a leap. His origin is mystical, but if you pick a random iron fist story then the chances are that it involves no more mystical stuff than any other comic of the same era. Having him spent the bulk of his series in NY fighting bank robbers and ninjas with the odd brief flashback to his training in K'un Lun (think Shangri-La) wouldnt be unusual at all. It doesnt need to be as massive a tonal shift as some people seem to think. It seems like the origin is the main sticking point for people, but as much as I want to see him fight that dragon, it doenst need to be a big part of the show. I think the MCU is at the point where the audience will accept "This guy has these powers" without the need for a drawn out origin.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Basically, all of the kung fu movies you've seen are looks at other dimensions exhibited by Seven Cities with Seven Champions, one of which is K'un L'un's Iron Fist. He concentrates his chi to boost the force of his punches when fighting. To prove one's self worthy of the title "Iron Fist", you have to defeat a dragon, Shou-Lao the Undying. The story of how Danny Rand becomes Iron Fist would make a sweet as hell movie so they can put a bunch of money into effects, but don't want a series to be hella expensive for like one or two episodes and have no money for the rest of the season.

It does seem like the three different venues determine how much money is getting spent; ABC is low-budget, Netflix is middle of the road, and Cinematic is comparatively unlimited. But Netflix MCU appears to be the least likely to cross-over with the cinematic MCU unless they have everyone show up for the Civil War movie(s).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'all motherfuckers need some visual aids. These are all from the "Immortal Iron Fist" series of a few years ago that with nigh-certainty would be the basis for the show, found after literally 5 minutes of googling:

If y'all can't see how this style could be approximated quite easily for the MCU, then I think that's more your fault than the material.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I agree. I don't get why people are so hung up on how difficult it'd be to portray more mystical/fantasy elements.

People aren't. Earlier rumors claimed Marvel was having trouble with the mystical elements of the story. People are discussing why that may be.

Some other people think that a lot of cryptic dialogue and an old lady hitting Daredevil kind of hard are basically the same as a magic kung fu dimension where you fight dragons and don't see how these difficulties could possibly be true.

Nobody's saying it can't be done.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Those pictures remind me, I hope to god we get Misty Knight out of this. I've never even seen her outside of The Immortal Iron-Fist and a few issues of Heroes for Hire, but I love the idea of a former cop with a cyborg arm working as a PI/mercenary in a superhero setting, mostly because I just love cyborg stuff full stop. Also, as a pipe-dream if Iron-Fist was super successful I'd love to see a second season or between season thing where they included some animated shorts or short films about the various legacy Iron-Fists and other Immortal Weapons. The short segments featuring them in the comics were always cool, so getting some tv version of them would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

tsob posted:

Those pictures remind me, I hope to god we get Misty Knight out of this.

She's been cast for Luke Cage. Simone Missick will be playing her.