Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Riftling posted:

As a returning player who's here mostly for PvP and some casual PvE, Mastery feels...okay. I would just settle for indicators telling me which masteries are needed for story missions, because I spent a night unlocking the upgraded glider mastery to find out I should have been working on the mushroom jumping mastery instead, since I need that for my next story mission.

The only real ire I have is I was peeking at Tyria masteries and saw the devs actually implemented auto-loot, but gated it behind the top-tier Tyria masteries. And it looks like a lot of mastery points are from the Living Story or Fractals, neither of which I'm super interested in playing (or purchasing).

If you mouse over the mastery it should have a tooltip that says "Heart of Thorns: 3" or some other number. It's not actually explained in game anywhere but this indicates that quest #3 requires said mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Posted in the goon squad forum. Got kicked due to inactivity and would like back in if there's space.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Raids and stuff coming mid-November! PvP League starting Dec 1! Wintersday Dec 15!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-road-ahead-for-2015/

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Literally just half the mastery XP requirements so they start at the amount we needed for one "level" at 80 before and double from them, then make us able to train masteries anywhere and we'd be good. They really just need to be easier to do. I feel like I've experienced HoT and now I just need to grind the same dumb zerg events to get anything beyond level 2 or 3. Introduce a couple of fractals with gliding in or something and then let me train my masteries there.

Also release pvp leagues now assholes.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

Aside from that the only real outstanding concern I have is being able to unlock elite specs on my alts, I have a large number of alts and I can foresee it taking a very very very long time for someone like me with much lower playtime than some.

Truly to get on one of my or Merc's HP trains! I've got a route worked out in VB and AB that will get you 140-150 with nothing more than basic gliding, 170 if we have a mesmer in the train (or you have bouncing mushrooms and exalted marks), all in about an hour and a half. I've also sussed out about 5 HP challenges that are relatively easy in TD with updraft/bouncing shrooms/exalted marks, although I usually don't drag the train there since I try to run it with minimum requirements and I'm also usually tired of herding cats by that time.

As a bonus, you'll also get about half a dozen or more explorable mastery points and every WP in VB and AB!

I've been running them 30 min after reset, but I might push that back an hour with the time change to allow people to eat dinner or whatever. Goons/dentists, let me know what time works best for you!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

Truly to get on one of my or Merc's HP trains! I've got a route worked out in VB and AB that will get you 140-150 with nothing more than basic gliding, 170 if we have a mesmer in the train (or you have bouncing mushrooms and exalted marks), all in about an hour and a half. I've also sussed out about 5 HP challenges that are relatively easy in TD with updraft/bouncing shrooms/exalted marks, although I usually don't drag the train there since I try to run it with minimum requirements and I'm also usually tired of herding cats by that time.

As a bonus, you'll also get about half a dozen or more explorable mastery points and every WP in VB and AB!

I've been running them 30 min after reset, but I might push that back an hour with the time change to allow people to eat dinner or whatever. Goons/dentists, let me know what time works best for you!

I did yesterday with Merc, I just can't usually because they're at a crappy time for me and take too long, not your fault dude. I usually can play around 8pm pacific on weeknights, not earlier. Weekends are unpredictable, usually I can play in the afternoons. I agree, if I could reliably get on one of those trains I wouldn't have a problem. You guys are awesome for running those though!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 2, 2015

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Did they reactivate that fractal mastery vendor yet

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, what recipes and things do I want to pickup from mastery vendors that can generate money?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did yesterday with Merc, I just can't usually because they're at a crappy time for me and take too long, not your fault dude. I usually can play around 8pm pacific on weeknights, not earlier. Weekends are unpredictable, usually I can play in the afternoons. I agree, if I could reliably get on one of those trains I wouldn't have a problem. You guys are awesome for running those though!

I play later at night and would be up for running a train for you. I practiced the route a few times after I was show the way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I play later at night and would be up for running a train for you. I practiced the route a few times after I was show the way.

I would love to be your caboose.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shockingly, fractals have been a major let down. Again.

From what I've read Mai Trin at 100 doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Mai Trin at 50 used to, but has way more hp. I've done fractals up to the 60s now and they've all been snoozefests compared to what 50 used to be. This is just the Fracataled updated making us grind out the same ranks again disguised a new way if we want to max out. But considering the rewards are so bad there's even less motivation to. The golden skins look worse than the regular ones imo. If you want a particular fractal skin you can just like do the 1-20 achieve anyway. Oh and fractal skins don't show up in the collection of course. And these rewards that were supposed to be moved from dungeons to fractals apparently got lost somewhere in between.

I don't really get why they couldn't have just used whatever they are making as raids and made them as new fractals instead, it would have kept it all together and the lesser group requirement would make it more accessible, but then again most of the decisions in HoT don't make much sense to me.

Ghostpilot posted:

To me it seemed like a great simulation of a F2P account.

Pretty much this is my reaction to HoT as a whole at this point. I finally feel like I'm playing an f2p mmo that is trying to get me to pay a monthly sub to ignore all the dumb grind I'd have to do otherwise, but that isn't even an option in GW2.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
So I'm relatively new to this game, and I'm about to get my first character to 80 (a warrior). What are common mistakes new/firsttime 80s make?

Also TIL that a commander tag costs 300 gold. gently caress, I just wanted to lead a train around the labyrinth.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

So I'm relatively new to this game, and I'm about to get my first character to 80 (a warrior). What are common mistakes new/firsttime 80s make?

Also TIL that a commander tag costs 300 gold. gently caress, I just wanted to lead a train around the labyrinth.

If you have the expansion, the new zones are great places to earn some cash and get used to your full set of skills on tougher mobs. Try to have fun and ignore the people complaining about masteries. Don't be afraid to ask for help or group up with random people.

You can't really mess up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Fractals are fun if you just started doing them :shobon:

One fractal at a time is much less overwhelming than having to run 3 in a row or whatever.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I don't think you can really make mistakes in this game? I don't know, as long as you're not doing anything like, say, selling all of your mats right before you start crafting things.

You could get the Mentor icon from that one Mastery instead of a commander tag.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Crafting is, in general, a money pit and not necessary until you want to make ascended items which are a bigger money pit.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Crafting has the cool unique backpack skins and helps level characters. Hell maybe I should do cooking on my main to make the mastery grind easier. It's also the only way to make celestial and other recently made stat set gear.

Apart from that though, huuuge money sink.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Mastery would be a much more enjoyable system if you just spent Mastery points to instantly train abilities. It's the exp grind that really sucks the fun out of it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Amante posted:

Mastery would be a much more enjoyable system if you just spent Mastery points to instantly train abilities. It's the exp grind that really sucks the fun out of it.

Yeah, and having the points as well as the XP bar to fill up is unintuitive. And having the bar vary in XP amount depending on which mastery you're working on is even more confusing. And none of this is explained to you in game anywhere. It loves to pop up with a HEY UNLOCK THIS THING every time I accidentally press my 'use' key near the wrong mushroom (and then doesn't go away until I switch out of action camera and click the little X, thanks so much for that!) but heaven forbid they do any tutorializing for the convoluted mastery system.

It feels like the whole mastery system probably went through a lot of iterating and argument behind the scenes, and what we ended up with is the result of someone saying 'gently caress it, we've got to ship something.'

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Xun posted:

Did they reactivate that fractal mastery vendor yet

They did!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

It feels like the whole mastery system probably went through a lot of iterating and argument behind the scenes, and what we ended up with is the result of someone saying 'gently caress it, we've got to ship something.'

Whatever happened to them saying you'd need to unlock a mastery to rip bark off of a hulk to even do damage to them?

Overall I've been enjoying the masteries and looking forward to unlocking the next in HoT and backtracking to find new areas I can reach, but the later ones are looking a little grindy without a lot of obvious benefit without knowing what they actually allow access to, only seen one or two poisonous areas for example.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 2, 2015

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Shockingly, fractals have been a major let down. Again.

From what I've read Mai Trin at 100 doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Mai Trin at 50 used to, but has way more hp. I've done fractals up to the 60s now and they've all been snoozefests compared to what 50 used to be. This is just the Fracataled updated making us grind out the same ranks again disguised a new way if we want to max out. But considering the rewards are so bad there's even less motivation to. The golden skins look worse than the regular ones imo. If you want a particular fractal skin you can just like do the 1-20 achieve anyway. Oh and fractal skins don't show up in the collection of course. And these rewards that were supposed to be moved from dungeons to fractals apparently got lost somewhere in between.

I don't really get why they couldn't have just used whatever they are making as raids and made them as new fractals instead, it would have kept it all together and the lesser group requirement would make it more accessible, but then again most of the decisions in HoT don't make much sense to me.

Hey maybe you should try actually running high level fractals before dismissing them. Some of the instabilities force you to adapt to them in new ways, and I certainly found many of the 71+ ones to be far more challenging than the old 50. I agree with every criticism about too much HP, but overall I think the overhaul (including the splitting up of fractals, the dailies and all) has really improved fractals.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

Hey maybe you should try actually running high level fractals before dismissing them.

You seem lost, boy. This here's the GW2 thread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Whatever happened to them saying you'd need to unlock a mastery to rip bark off of a hulk to even do damage to them?

Given the way masteries have worked out, it's probably for the best that one didn't find its way in.

Then again, we haven't seen the raid mastery track yet.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Harrow posted:

Then again, we haven't seen the raid mastery track yet.

Hedging my bets on this. There is no way they didn't make masteries for raids, they just don't want people getting a head start on any of that so they aren't in yet.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Hedging my bets on this. There is no way they didn't make masteries for raids, they just don't want people getting a head start on any of that so they aren't in yet.

They've already said they have.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-challenging-content/

quote:

On top of the Mastery tracks available at release, each raid release will add more raid-specific Masteries for you to earn.

The raid-specific Masteries will serve a couple of purposes, but chiefly they allow the designers to create a feeling of progression throughout the raid content. If a player who is new to raiding joins your squad, he or she will—for the most part—be able to assist entirely in the encounters. That said, there are a number of Mastery traits attached to various facets of the raid encounters. For example, if your squad is working on the last boss of a wing, and no one has a particular and clearly stated Mastery unlocked, you’re probably going to fail spectacularly.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
No attunements to get into our raids! You can hop into them immediately! Oh, you want to be able to complete them? Well, yeah, to do that you need to grind about fifteen million XP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, just sounds like another fancily worded method of time gating raid encounters.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
lf2m 1h1t need xyz mastery

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ItBurns posted:

People are going to get a lot more bent put of shape when they piece together the requirements for the elite weapon collections. So far it's something like...

Stealth Gliding (IV)
Nuhoch Stealth Detection (IV)
Exalted Gathering (V)
Itzel Poison (IV)

You also need to beat Mordremoth a couple times, probably at least 4, in order to farm the crystalline ore and unlock the vendors.

You only need to know someone who has stealth detection to get invisible mushroom spores. You just have to swing your weapon in the right area once the event begins.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I realize I'm about to :can: with this but I am genuinely interested in seeing responses. I know there's still a lot of game left once you reach 80, but (for those among us who don't usually enjoy PvP of any sort) what specifically motivates you to keep playing?

It was just something I was idly thinking about at work today. I play FFXIV because I like the story and seeing new encounters/hearing new music. The usual addictive MMO treadmill of gearing up at level cap doesn't usually hold me for long (though I have an irritating compulsion there, like everywhere else, to get all classes to max level even if I never intend to play them at cap). It was more or less the same for WoW, mostly focused on the encounters though because lol at the story and music. Here though I can't say I've seen encounters of any interest, and the story/music has been mostly forgettable (exception for Tybalt Leftpaw, dude owns).

I'm still enjoying myself, mind, just I can't shake the feeling that I'm not really sure why. :shrug:

(I bet the answer's gonna 99% be "pretty princess" and while that's admirable and understandable I don't have a creative bone in my body :smith:)

(edit again) Oh also the Black-out Drunk Norn Escapades, that was fun too :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 3, 2015

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have a few small goals I want to reach, like pretty princessing, crafting certain gear, or doing certain content. Sometimes I want to level an alt.

If friends are playing (I'm not in the goon guilds) then I'll do what they're doing. (And if I seriously wanted to play when none of them are interested, I know I can hit up this thread and find people.)

Otherwise? Well, GW2 is free. There's no obligation to keep playing if you're bored. I've already got my money's worth for the base game.

Play other games. Don't burn out on GW2.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Ciaphas posted:

I realize I'm about to :can: with this but I am genuinely interested in seeing responses. I know there's still a lot of game left once you reach 80, but (for those among us who don't usually enjoy PvP of any sort) what specifically motivates you to keep playing?

For me:

1.) Vertical progression. Despite the gnashing of teeth in this thread to all things that aren't pretty princess (or the rare sociopath that likes sPvP), GW2 does this really well. Ascended armor is extremely hard to get and only slightly better, but it's a goal. Masteries are a more heavy-handed example of this, but I still like them for now. If raids masteries are hard attunement style things, I'll be disappointed. If they're make things easier/open optional bosses it'll be cool.

2.) Legendary skin chasing, which is a combination of 1.) and 3.)

3.) Pretty princess/Grimdark princes (or vice versa :gay:).

4.) WvW, when it doesn't suck. Being on Maguuma, it typically sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I know there's still a lot of game left once you reach 80, but (for those among us who don't usually enjoy PvP of any sort) what specifically motivates you to keep playing?

I don't think that's a controversial question, I think it's neat and cool to see why people keep playing this game, a lot of us 3 years later which is an extremely unusually long time to play an MMO for.

• Skins and dressup and dyes, experimenting with different looks
  • Exploration and jumping puzzles!
  • WvW, it's ongoing and so much fun
  • Small group PvE, dungeons/fractals are good and cool and fun
  • By far the most crucial and biggest reason I keep playing this long and still going is the wonderful people I play with, SFD has given me the best group of internet people I've ever found and I even enjoy bad games and bad content with those wonderful nerds

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Did some Stronghold last night with some buddies, had a blast! Its a welcome change of pace from conquest. Has a lot more defined objectives as compared to maps that arent foefire conquest. I'm excited to unlock my pirate hero! If you weren't a fan of spvp before, I'd suggest giving it a shot.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ItBurns posted:

Crafting is, in general, a money pit and not necessary until you want to make ascended items which are a bigger money pit.
Huntsman currently makes 3.9g per day from just making daily timer items. If you have anything that can make Damask then that's another 5.77g per day due to the ridiculous profit margin on Damask Patches right now.

e: Basically, now is a really good time to get 500 450 Huntsman or 500 Armorcrafting and print money, or just stockpile the mats because the prices are steadily going up from the legendary crafting demand.

e2: Armorcrafting and nothing else makes 8.4g per day right now, and that's if you buy all of your materials from sell orders, which you obviously shouldn't.

You also only need to hit 450 to refine ascended mats, except for damask patches which need 500.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 3, 2015

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
So I was watching Chaithh stream today, and he basically said that he never does PVE. So how does one never do PVE and still manage to pretty princess themselves?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

Huntsman currently makes 3.9g per day from just making daily timer items. If you have anything that can make Damask then that's another 5.77g per day due to the ridiculous profit margin on Damask Patches right now.

e: Basically, now is a really good time to get 500 450 Huntsman or 500 Armorcrafting and print money, or just stockpile the mats because the prices are steadily going up from the legendary crafting demand.

e2: Armorcrafting and nothing else makes 8.4g per day right now, and that's if you buy all of your materials from sell orders, which you obviously shouldn't.

You also only need to hit 450 to refine ascended mats, except for damask patches which need 500.

All this just from doing the ascended time gated mats?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are people making, and are any of the mastery recipes you pick up worth money over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This tip was just in guild chat:

-Go to the guild hall (guild panel, button teleports you there)
-Go south to the Tavern
-Buy 4% exp boost (24 hours) or karma boost. Costs nothing.

• Locked thread