Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I specifically asked that. And he said yes. Then I said "is there any available space in any of the partitions?" No. "Do the file systems that make up the partitions have any free space in which to create a 2gb file that I can make swap?" No.
Yeah, but you didn't think to ask if any of the data could be deleted, did you, smart guy? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, but you didn't think to ask if any of the data could be deleted, did you, smart guy? :smuggo:

lol I did.

Skandranon posted:

Yeah, I guess the data you blew away is someone else's problem... How do you find these places?

Samsung.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lol I did.

Samsung.
Oh, I've got it. Create and mount a ramdisk, then make that the swap partition.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

anthonypants posted:

I actually suggested that, but he was like no, there's no free memory.

I really thought it was a trick question, but all he wanted was dd.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
:) Please help us design a data warehouse that can accept between ten and several billion rows of data nightly as cheap as possible.

:argh: Well designing a data warehouse that can accept ten rows a night is a little different than designing a warehouse that can accept billions nightly. Do you think you can tighten up this figure a little bit?

:) Why should we do that? The cloud scales, right? What's the difference between ten and billions of rows?

:argh: Scale.

*sigh*

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What's the difference between ten and billions of rows?

About a column on my paycheck. Boom.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agrikk posted:

:) Please help us design a data warehouse that can accept between ten and several billion rows of data nightly as cheap as possible.

:argh: Well designing a data warehouse that can accept ten rows a night is a little different than designing a warehouse that can accept billions nightly. Do you think you can tighten up this figure a little bit?

:) Why should we do that? The cloud scales, right? What's the difference between ten and billions of rows?

*sigh*

The cloud is pure magic. Did you forget?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Surely a data warehouse that can accept billions of rows nightly can also accept 10 nightly. They didn't specify a a budget so screw 'em.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Whatever you do, design it so that it can not and will not accept less than ten rows of data nightly.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ynglaur posted:

The cloud is pure magic. Did you forget?

Heh, another win for Cloud2Butt.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

*sigh*
http://www.mongodb-is-web-scale.com/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thank you for brightening my day.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

lol always good

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey buddy.

Remember when one of your employees made an unreasonable and illogical request last month? I put all the reasons for denying it in the change request - AND even went outside of that and wrote you a nice personal - direct note explaining the situation. You probably ignored it.

So, buddy, I don't really appreciate your strongly worded email to me, copying all of management, telling me that it's my fault that poo poo isn't getting done on your poorly managed project.

Yes, I am good at documenting my records, the justification for not doing this, and chain of communication with you and your employee - and yes, I am going to call you out and copy everyone you tried to copy when trying to make me look bad.

Thanks for being a dick and making yourself look incompetent all at once.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Walked posted:

Hey buddy.

Remember when one of your employees made an unreasonable and illogical request last month? I put all the reasons for denying it in the change request - AND even went outside of that and wrote you a nice personal - direct note explaining the situation. You probably ignored it.

So, buddy, I don't really appreciate your strongly worded email to me, copying all of management, telling me that it's my fault that poo poo isn't getting done on your poorly managed project.

Yes, I am good at documenting my records, the justification for not doing this, and chain of communication with you and your employee - and yes, I am going to call you out and copy everyone you tried to copy when trying to make me look bad.

Thanks for being a dick and making yourself look incompetent all at once.

:allears:

What did Mr. Workaround do?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

:allears:

What did Mr. Workaround do?

As in, in response to me?

"Thanks Walked for reminding me of the technical limitations of Windows. I will have to revisit this with my team"

Yes, yes you will. I have no idea why you're insisting your team of 4 do software development via Remote Desktop. There is literally no reason for this poo poo.

(For the record we told them this is not a justified situation to purchase RDS CALs and setting up licensing and that it's truly not a good approach to loving Remote Desktop in to a server for [daily, by all developers] development. This is why they were issued laptops. A server is not a collaborative work platform, it is to host whatever poo poo you guys manage to churn out so it stays sandboxed from the rest of the network. Jesus gently caress this poo poo makes me angry)
:psyduck:

Walked fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 2, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How ethical is this?

An employee signs-up for a contract position from x to y date. As the contract is coming up for expiration replacements are hired but they're can't be any overlap so the previous contractors are let go 2-3 months early.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

How ethical is this?

An employee signs-up for a contract position from x to y date. As the contract is coming up for expiration replacements are hired but they're can't be any overlap so the previous contractors are let go 2-3 months early.

Well the company is probably pretty lovely for having contract employees in the first place so I would figure its par for the course.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Whatever you do, design it so that it can not and will not accept less than ten rows of data nightly.

This is my favorite thing.

I can imagine the SQL code for this:

code:
CASE
    When (select count(1) from ETL_table < 10) THEN sp_ExitWithError
END

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I specifically asked that. And he said yes. Then I said "is there any available space in any of the partitions?" No. "Do the file systems that make up the partitions have any free space in which to create a 2gb file that I can make swap?" No.

"What is the output of df?"

Then I would have said take the server down during a maintenance window, repartition, restore from backup. YOU HAVE BACKUPS, RITE?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I've had this conversation with a grown up regarding their office phone system:

Client: I want the name of the person I'm calling to show up when I dial their number, like Caller ID.
Me: Well, these phones don't support that, unless you make a directory that I can pull the information from
Client: No, like my cell phone, it just knows who I'm calling
Me: Yes, because on your cell you have their number programmed as a contact, so it pulls that data
Client: No, it doesn't, it's just caller ID
Me: No, caller Id shows you who when someone calls
Client: No, caller ID tells me, the caller, who I am calling.
Me: No, it doesn't
Client: Yes it does, call my cell, look it shows your name
Me: Yes, but I'm dialing you, on my phone it shows just your number because you aren't my contact
Client: Yes exactly
Me: Ok, I can configure caller ID
Client: No, I want my phone to show who I am calling so I know who I'm calling
Me: Well, you did dial their number so you should know who they are right?
Client: Don't sass me

Whitepages app does this to show who is calling you and who you are calling.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

Well the company is probably pretty lovely for having contract employees in the first place so I would figure its par for the course.

Let's stop having this conversation.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lampey posted:

Whitepages app does this to show who is calling you and who you are calling.

I'm referring to interoffice dialing. Internal extensions, with out a pre-programmed directory. Like it is supposed to know ext 123 is Bob, and show "Bob" when you dial "123" without me first telling the PBX that ext 123 is named Bob.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

evol262 posted:

Let's stop having this conversation.
What are your proposed solutions to ending contract employment forever?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Abolishing the capitalist system. :anarchists:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Abolishing the capitalist system. :anarchists:

ssh worker@capitalism "sudo accton"
Sorry, user worker is not allowed to execute '/sbin/accton' as root on capitalism.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

How ethical is this?

Did they get paid for the rest of the contract? If not, what is the legal reasoning given by the company to not fulfill their side?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

How ethical is this?

In a vaccuum, it's dumb and unless the company is paying out the 2-3 months to the contractors, the company would probably stand to lose more than that fiddling amount of contractor pay in legal fees alone for a pretty slam-dunk case.

In reality, I assume the company either:
1. Has some loophole they're invoking in the contract language
2. Is paying out the contractors but can't have the overlap of them actually being physically present at whatever location for some sort of security reason,
3. Is dumb as bricks and/or gambling that the contractors can't afford to take them to court over it

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Erwin posted:

Did they get paid for the rest of the contract? If not, what is the legal reasoning given by the company to not fulfill their side?

The contract is at-will employment and you have even less rights as a full-time employee. The contract also specifies paid as completed.

As for the actual case, it's due to overlap with new replacements. As you're paying double but you want candidates now before the old ones are gone.

Completely legal but telling a prospective employee their contract extends from date X and ends on date Y but to later thrown in that it's ending early because they're filling it in isn't exactly ethical.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 3, 2015

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Woah, that's not the contact employment I've had. Here the contract is for a fixed length of time. If they end it early they're paying you out, because that was the deal. Otherwise why would you take a contract?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think I've ever heard of a contract that doesn't have an early termination clause. Contracts are written to be favorable to the employers, not the employees. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Tab8715 posted:

The contract is at-will employment and you have even less rights as a full-time employee. The contract also specifies paid as completed.

As for the actual case, it's due to overlap with new replacements. As you're paying double but you want candidates now before the old ones are gone.

Completely legal but telling a prospective employee their contract extends from date X and ends on date Y but to later thrown in that it's ending early because they're filling it in isn't exactly ethical.

If it's explicit in the contract, it's ethical.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MJBuddy posted:

If it's explicit in the contract, it's ethical.

This makes me want to make some lovely popular shareware with an EULA that involves your firstborn, a goat, and all of your worldly possessions, then suing random people in states where the EULA is a legally binding contract.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I had an interview Monday for Linux administrator. One of the tech questions was:

Interviewer: You have a server that you want to add swap space too, however the hard drive is totally full, and you can't add a hard drive. How do you add swap space.

Me: Well, if the drive is full, you can't add a swap file at all. Do you mean the drive is fully partitioned or that the drive is full of data with no more room for any new data.

Interviewer: Yes, both.

Provision additional disk space in the hypervisor :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

This makes me want to make some lovely popular shareware with an EULA that involves your firstborn, a goat, and all of your worldly possessions, then suing random people in states where the EULA is a legally binding contract.

He said ethical, not legal. You can have someone sign a contract stating all of those things, but most likely none of them would be legally enforceable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

anthonypants posted:

If that had turned out to be the answer I wouldn't have wanted to work there either.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

FFS. You're bad with computers. It takes you 20 minutes to register an account on a website because you can't seem to wrap your head around the idea that there might be more of the page below the bottom of the screen. If you have a text box to fill in and a giant button saying "click to continue" then try filling in the text box and then clicking the button. Don't stare at the screen for five minutes before calling me over to tell you exactly where you have to click. No it's not too complicated! No your gmail password does not magically let you log in to every other site so don't lie to me and say it does!

This is going to be a long day

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

feedmegin posted:

If that had turned out to be the answer I wouldn't have wanted to work there either.

I was surprised with how much they described the job in straight up terrible terms. At one point, they mentioned the migration from 600 AIX or Unix servers to all RHEL, and that hey were doing it in by end of year. They jokingly said "ah, we are all going to have awful holidays this year, hahahahah!" But there were was such sadness in their eyes.

Sure I want to inherit this team of Unix neck beards, and be the only RHEL guy because no one else is crazy enough to take this.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

anthonypants posted:

What are your proposed solutions to ending contract employment forever?

I don't see anything wrong with contract employment, nor do I think that companies which hire contractors are lovely. That's the conversation which has been done to death. Some people here have worked as contractors and had good experiences. Some haven't, and believe that contracting is arbitrarily worse.

You can't reason somebody out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:psypop:

Del''s Equallogic Support portal

Password must be 6-15 characters, contain a letter and a number.
No special characters. :wtf: