Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Yes, yes. As a multi-year table veteran I am shamed.

However, I MacGyvered contact info on post-it notes and on the back of the people's cards I was talking to. So it worked out.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
EMU

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 26, 2015

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
There's something kinda personal and anectodal about this comic. It seems like a real zookeeper's experience.

(The emu the best dinosaur).

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Since my comics don't lend themselves to easy marketing stuff (and I'd feel weird even if people did want to walk around with a drawing of my face on their chest or whatever), I'm thinking of seeing if I can't make some t-shirts with things like this on them.

And even if i don't do any marketing or sales with this, I still want to show it off. drat proud of this puppy. 14 * 17 ink on bristol board.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

GreatJob posted:

There's something kinda personal and anectodal about this comic. It seems like a real zookeeper's experience.
Thanks. I'm getting a lot of followers who identify themselves on their Tumblr profiles as zookeepers, zookeepers in training, veterinarians/vet techs, etc. So I guess they see something in it they relate to. It's a nice feeling.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
More dumb comics what for to help my students practice their english. The Lesson theme is 'I'm faster than you'.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 29, 2015

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I love when I'm ready to ink :) .

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
There's a convention that I'm going to next weekend, does anyone have any particular recommendations on where to get business cards? Price is my only real concern at this point, I don't have enough of a comic to bother advertising properly. I might not even do the cards.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My advice for business cards: Get a bunch of print-your-own card sheets from an office store, print them yourself. Cheaper and faster than ordering cards online, and unless you're planning on handing out cards in the hundreds, you have no need for the bulk printers.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
overnight prints does it real fast and cheap

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I've had good experiences with moo.com, but it might not reach you in a week.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

pulp rag posted:

I've had good experiences with moo.com, but it might not reach you in a week.

Moo is really cool because you can have multiple designs for your cards. Great for artists. People at conventions really like flipping through the different designs.

They also have the half-size cards. A friend of mine got hers printed at half-size and they turned out great. One design was for her art stuff and the other was for her blog.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nessa posted:

Moo is really cool because you can have multiple designs for your cards. Great for artists. People at conventions really like flipping through the different designs.

They also have the half-size cards. A friend of mine got hers printed at half-size and they turned out great. One design was for her art stuff and the other was for her blog.

Yeah the multiple-design thing is great, but they only allow customizing one side of the card. If you're an idiot like me who wanted to add extra information on the back dependent upon what image you put on the obverse look forward to a whole lot of writing.

Otherwise yeah, great quality, really sturdy cards with fantastic image quality and colour depth (my camera is garbage); I'm almost definitely going to use moo again. Apparently they've a new RFID option but idk if it's worth the trouble. Turnaround is more than a week though so probably not your best bet if you need it this weekend.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
At this point in time the print-your-own sheets will probably work best. I don't need that many and I'm on a budget. I'm still undecided on doing it. Those Moo ones are lovely though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The stock quality is kind of flimsy on most print it yourself cards. What I do if I need a few dozen cards is lay them out as a 2x5 grid on an a4 paper stock I like, then spend time on a cutting mat, knife and a steel ruler. Helps to print registration marks on the outside to get cut guides, i.e. the small black marks on the outside like so:

The print your own card sheets just make them look like a stamp since they're pre-perforated. If you've a sharp enough knife just stack multiple sheets on each other and have a whole ton done at once.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

The stock quality is kind of flimsy on most print it yourself cards. What I do if I need a few dozen cards is lay them out as a 2x5 grid on an a4 paper stock I like, then spend time on a cutting mat, knife and a steel ruler. Helps to print registration marks on the outside to get cut guides, i.e. the small black marks on the outside like so:

The print your own card sheets just make them look like a stamp since they're pre-perforated. If you've a sharp enough knife just stack multiple sheets on each other and have a whole ton done at once.

I am amazingly bad with knife/scissor cuts and I don't have a paper cutter anymore. That is a helpful guide though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Xacto knife and a metal ruler is a pretty cheap investment versus perforated fuzzy-edged cards.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
All I'd really need is a new blade, heck I might even have the cardstock. Worst case I hate them and have spent nothing. Thanks.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Nowadays when I print up business cards to put at my table at a convention I just print up a couple sheets of cardstock at whatever local printing place is open at the last minute. It's mega-cheap and then you just chop it up in the paper cutter and put it in a nice little sugar packet caddy to make it presentable and people will take them and forget why they had them in their pockets a month later all the same.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Remember to cut away from yourself. :v:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Remember to cut away from yourself. :v:

That's for whittling sticks, when you use an xacto you want to carefully bring the blade towards you (inward strokes are a much more precise & controllable muscle movement than outward strokes), this goes for freehanding straight lines with pen as well! If you're cutting business cards you don't really want to be using an xacto though, get yourself a paper cutter!

They sell affordable home models, they'll save you a LOT of trouble and blood whoopsies.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Reiley posted:

That's for whittling sticks, when you use an xacto you want to carefully bring the blade towards you (inward strokes are a much more precise & controllable muscle movement than outward strokes), this goes for freehanding straight lines with pen as well! If you're cutting business cards you don't really want to be using an xacto though, get yourself a paper cutter!

They sell affordable home models, they'll save you a LOT of trouble and blood whoopsies.

I inherited one awhile ago and gave it away because I never used it :doh:.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Paper cutters and long-reach staplers should be packaged and sold as a cartoonist's starter kit, they're such invaluable tools.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
The new ones might work better anyway, they're in much better shape than what I had. Thanks for the help.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

The new ones might work better anyway, they're in much better shape than what I had. Thanks for the help.

If a cutter doesn't cut cleanly, try giving the handle a little bit of inward pressure (towards the main body of it) to ensure a clean scissor-like cut. If the blade arm is loose or you pressure it outward it won't cut well or just bend the paper, but a little pressure with your cutting-hand palm does the business.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Reiley posted:

If a cutter doesn't cut cleanly, try giving the handle a little bit of inward pressure (towards the main body of it) to ensure a clean scissor-like cut. If the blade arm is loose or you pressure it outward it won't cut well or just bend the paper, but a little pressure with your cutting-hand palm does the business.

Thanks! I don't think I've used a home size paper cutter before, so this helps a lot.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Daily reminder to draw.

I'm so happy to be drawing this big lug again.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Last night I colored for two hours and it was ok :unsmith:

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

paisleyfox posted:

I highly suggest Gann Memorials. They're pretty reasonable and a lot of

I'm a little late here but I have to second the recommendation for Gann Memorials. When I worked with them, they were fantastic... very communicative and helpful, working to iterate a few prototypes before committing to a production run. They even went with my decision to put magnets in the plush's feelers! Look at how adorable these came out!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
:aaaaa: Oh my god. Those are wonderful.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

ZnCu posted:

I'm a little late here but I have to second the recommendation for Gann Memorials. When I worked with them, they were fantastic... very communicative and helpful, working to iterate a few prototypes before committing to a production run. They even went with my decision to put magnets in the plush's feelers! Look at how adorable these came out!

Those look pretty awesome! Can I ask roughly how many you ordered to get them to a reasonable price?

I'm currently completely overwhelmed with editing and text details for TO Comix Vol 3. We're looking at around a 300-page book with 43 contributors this year. The two new editors are doing a fantastic job of helping manage people, and I couldn't be happier with being able to delegate work. Even so, all three of are putting in several hours every day keeping people on track.

Thankfully, all the scripts are locked down and we're now at the character design phase! Have some process art!

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Squidster posted:

Can I ask roughly how many you ordered to get them to a reasonable price?

I ordered a run of 500, which I was able to cover pretty easily by pre-selling about 200 through a Kickstarter. At that scale, shipping prices are a significant issue, though... shipping from the factory to me, even at bulk rates, still ran almost a couple thousand bucks. (They gave me a pretty accurate estimate for that up front, so the Kickstarter covered that too.)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Why wouldn't they repeatedly kickstart themselves?

Also, what was the unit price?

I have no interest in producing any plushies, I'm just curious.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

ZnCu posted:

I ordered a run of 500, which I was able to cover pretty easily by pre-selling about 200 through a Kickstarter. At that scale, shipping prices are a significant issue, though... shipping from the factory to me, even at bulk rates, still ran almost a couple thousand bucks. (They gave me a pretty accurate estimate for that up front, so the Kickstarter covered that too.)
Eep, that may be out of my range for now. That's very useful information though, thank you!

More process art!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 5, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Frozenpussy posted:

Why wouldn't they repeatedly kickstart themselves?

There's a lot of reasons not to kickstart to fund the rewards of a previous kickstarter. That's basically taking a loan out to pay off a previous loan. It's unsustainable. That and for better or worse backer rewards are very often preorders of some product at a discount. A poorly-planned kickstarter can actually cost more money than it makes and if you needed a second kickstarter to stay afloat after your first it means you hosed up your business planning on a fundamental level.

It also bears mentioning that crowdfunding relies on goodwill and trades on trust and confidence. It's not an immediate direct sale, it's considered a donation with the promise of results later down the line. Psychologically that has a different effect on potential customers. And begging for donations to fund the rewards of previous donations basically throws away any possible trust or confidence your potential backers, customers, have that you can deliver a product on time without needing to beg for more.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Squidster posted:

Eep, that may be out of my range for now. That's very useful information though, thank you!

More process art!

Hey, I remember these guys from one of my Flash Animation foundations books from back in the day.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Squidster posted:

I didn't put in any of my own cash, I just folded the costs of shipping into the Kickstarter so that when I pre-sold 200 plushes, that covered all the bases. If you've got the audience, it's really just a matter of setting the proper price points.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

ZnCu posted:

I didn't put in any of my own cash, I just folded the costs of shipping into the Kickstarter so that when I pre-sold 200 plushes, that covered all the bases. If you've got the audience, it's really just a matter of setting the proper price points.
As an anthology book, we don't have a flagship character or mascot - that's something I'm going to be working on for our Vol 3. I'm working with an artist to build an iconic character for use on tshirts, and if those start moving I'll look into small mascot runs.

We also don't really have any significant web presence, but we've sold 666 of our first book, and 579 of our second - we're still a tiny operation. We need to work on our branding and our reach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Updated RAWR! Dinosaur Friends today with a comic for anybody who likes Ankylosaurus. Thanks for checking it out.