Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

Grenades being on a cooldown is relevant because it's just one more way the game is watered down, especially compared to Battlefield. When you have unlimited grenades you don't have to put any thought into where and when to use them, which leads to annoying deaths because everybody is chucking grenades from across the map.

If you really like Star Wars and feel like playing an FPS in that environment is enough to balance out the serious lack of depth, that's fine. But most people aren't going to want to drop $60 on Battlefield Lite just because you can shoot Vader in the face with a laser.

Its not unlimited though, it has a cooldown. So you could just argue the cooldown needs to be longer. Given a long enough cooldown you absolutely do have to worry about when and where you use your grenades.

I mean if cooldown grenades are "unlimited" then so are pickup grenades. There's no limit to how many you can pick up!

Yeah, but at any given time you only have access to a few, so they're limited. Same with cooldowns, you only get one. You can't spam. But the cooldown was very fast, I agree.

Seems fine enough to me. I'll be having fun shooting vader in the face and you guys can have fun spending that money on something else :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seems like the generic black friday PS4 deal will be a $299 console + 1 free random game depending on retailer.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
battlefront was and will be boring uninspired crap that star wars fans will happily purchase for AAA price just because "holy poo poo, it has vader" even though the maps are barren wastelands, the gunplay is dull and unsatisfying, teamwork is pretty much nonexistent, really any number of other glaring flaws that will get glazed over because lightsabers and poo poo. it feels like one of those loving dime a dozen smartphone shooter games except someone managed to snag star wars licensing for it

the only thing is has going for it is that it looks really pretty

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I also like COD (well zombies) and that addition has the added bonus of a 1 tb drive.

Which leads me to my last question, is a 500 gig drive not going to be enough? I don't plan on digitally buying most games, I like having disks on hand.

Thanks!

Just so it's clear, all disc-based games still require full installations. If you choose the biggest games data-wise, the stock drive can be as few as something like 7 or 8 games (if you install 50-65 gig games like Call of Duty+DLC, although more often than not 20-40 gigs is a more typical big budget game size), plus some titles have fairly sizeable updates (6-17 gigs is fairly common although this often replaces existing data so isn't necessarily a straight increase).

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Zaphod42 posted:

That's fair criticism but I think its pretty easy to imagine the other more traditional modes being better. The core things worked pretty well.

You seem pretty upset about grenades being on a cooldown instead of ammo pickups but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me at all. Having vehicles as pickups was stupid but its something I got over pretty fast. I wish they'd change that but there's always something minor like that I wish they'd change in any game.

Why is vehicles as pickups a bad thing? It allows you to stay in the fight instead of heading to some distant spawn where some other person takes the last speeder just as you arrive so you have to either wait around or walk back towards the fighting... This way of someone grabs it before you, you just keep going forwards to the fight and maybe a different pickup. Is there another option between a set spawn point for ships or pickups?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The beta tempered my enthusiasm for Battlefront. I probably won't rent it now.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The new Battlefields sort of.. (???) got around this by just having vehicles on the respawn location list so at least there was less chance of them standing around in the middle of bumfuck nowhere waiting. Vehicles pickups are going to end up the same way as regular vehicle spawns. Eventually most people will know the places the token spawns and will just camp the area waiting for it.

I liked the gunplay in Battlefront because even Hardline you had to ADS so this just felt fun being able to actually run-and-game. Also if you're good at Active reload QTEs you can pretty much pew-pew-pew-pew forever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kharaa posted:

the only thing is has going for it is that it looks really pretty

This is the only thing any FPS from the last decade has had going for it, and Battlefront has literally the best graphics I've ever seen. So yeah :v:

El Jebus posted:

Why is vehicles as pickups a bad thing? It allows you to stay in the fight instead of heading to some distant spawn where some other person takes the last speeder just as you arrive so you have to either wait around or walk back towards the fighting... This way of someone grabs it before you, you just keep going forwards to the fight and maybe a different pickup. Is there another option between a set spawn point for ships or pickups?

Its a bad thing because you end up running way out of your way to grab one only for somebody else to beat you to it. It was better when you just either spawned as a plane and went at it, or you spawned as a dude and went "oh well" and ran along. Admittedly the way some battlefields spawned you as a dude and then you run for planes on some hangar and somebody beats you to it wasn't really much better.

The real annoying part is that after you get the pickup, you have to hunker over and USE the pickup, which leaves you still vulnerable to being shot. But if you don't hunker down in 15 seconds, you lose the pickup, so its not like you can save it until you find a safe area. And if you die you lose the pickup. That's stupid.

We don't know about options because the beta was very limited, but I would expect them to say "pickups for everybody!" because lovely one-size-fits-all game design is very much popular right now. Games that give you options are the exception.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 2, 2015

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012
To get back to that old topic... The only platinum game that I really really liked was Vanquish. I wish they would do a new one.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Deranged M posted:

To get back to that old topic... The only platinum game that I really really liked was Vanquish. I wish they would do a new one.

Truth. Revengeance was good, too, though the music annoyed me.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
The last time I played something as boring as that Battlefront beta was probably doing laps for relic iron in vanilla Destiny.

Bought Divinity to co-op it through with the fiancée. It's a lot of fun and surprisingly playable on a gamepad, but at the same time I'm not sure if I can stomach such an epic RPG at this age. We've been trudging in Cyseal for hours now, not having made much progress in anything, and only a vague idea of what we should be doing.

I love how versatile the game is though. There are so many ways of breaking the constraints that you can really go and think outside the box for solutions.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Follow That Fish! posted:

The last time I played something as boring as that Battlefront beta was probably doing laps for relic iron in vanilla Destiny.

Bought Divinity to co-op it through with the fiancée. It's a lot of fun and surprisingly playable on a gamepad, but at the same time I'm not sure if I can stomach such an epic RPG at this age. We've been trudging in Cyseal for hours now, not having made much progress in anything, and only a vague idea of what we should be doing.

I love how versatile the game is though. There are so many ways of breaking the constraints that you can really go and think outside the box for solutions.

Use guides liberally if you find yourself getting stuck. Divinity is a great game but the "right way" to move about its world is never expressed so it's basically just trial and error to find fights that won't end with you getting your rear end handed to you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am excited for Battlefront and think most things in it work pretty well, but having abilities that require consumable tokens that you collect on the ground or buy with credits seems kind of dumb.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

1redflag posted:

Truth. Revengeance was good, too, though the music annoyed me.

How do you not like the music in revengeance?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The 500gb HD is mostly fine, but a few games I like all manage to be between 40-50ish gigs and take up almost half the hard drive so you don't need to be some crazy game hoarder to run out of space with the default drive. Downloading 40+ gig games sucks especially if your provider throttles you so you get to make the decision of "do i want to play this game any time remotely soon" and "do i want to make space for other stuff"

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Battlefront just got really boring really fast. And not because it was a demo. In other battlefield games, you could play the same mode on the same map over and over and over and still have a shitload of fun. In Battlefront everything played out almost exactly the same every single time and you were corralled into the same routines indefinitely. Really disappointing. Hoping that some of the other modes might fix that but I'm not holding my breath.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Battlefront was a lot of fun so here the thread goes being wrong again

Are you going to play with me because it's gonna own.

Also Bethesda doesn't make good games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod essay posts are the smoke of bad game fire

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

Are you going to play with me because it's gonna own.

Yes.

Also you're wrong, fallout games are good games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a cop posted:

Battlefront just got really boring really fast. And not because it was a demo. In other battlefield games, you could play the same mode on the same map over and over and over and still have a shitload of fun. In Battlefront everything played out almost exactly the same every single time and you were corralled into the same routines indefinitely. Really disappointing. Hoping that some of the other modes might fix that but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah. I thought it was fun but wasn't sold on the longevity of it. At the very least I'm waiting for reviews and other people to test run it.

Really you are just running around doing the same thing over and over in most shooters, but the thing that was getting boring for me is that it seemed to de emphasis teamwork/coordination almost entirely. Maybe it was just because of the beta but it really feel like a big free for all.

Rad Valtar posted:

And Rad Valter doesn't make good posts.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Battlefront is only good as a star wars simulator, behind the star wars veneer its an extremely vanilla fps. Its not worth a buy unless you're already a fanboy

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

NESguerilla posted:

And Rad Valter doesn't make good posts.

Coming from you that means well nothing.

Bethesda games are very shallow and don't appeal to me.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Battlefront is only good as a star wars simulator, behind the star wars veneer its an extremely vanilla fps. Its not worth a buy unless you're already a fanboy

You could say this about 90% of games.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 3, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
90% of games are Star Wars simulators?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

axleblaze posted:

90% of games are Star Wars simulators?

At the end of the day everything is just Star Wars.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Coming from you that means well nothing.

Bethesda games are very shallow and don't appeal to me.

Actually you are a loving retard hth.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when you get down deep enough everything becomes a star wars simulator

kind of like how everything is really anime when you look hard enough

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

NESguerilla posted:

Actually you are a loving retard hth.

Awww so nice of you, you hiding your shitposting behind a veneer of "I just like to be critical of everything" doesn't make you less of a retard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Awesome! posted:

when you get down deep enough everything becomes a star wars simulator

kind of like how everything is really anime when you look hard enough

Well you know what Mark Twain said: "Everything is anime except manga."

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Somehow the posters in here are worse then the Xbox thread how loving ironic.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rad Valtar posted:

its a lot of the same posters :mrgw:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I like how the only thing you do in this thread is talk poo poo and shoe horn your fat wife into your posts, then complain about the quality of the thread. :fuckoff:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just got owned on the internet what will I do with my life. Ill play Battlefront on my Darth Vader PS4 in two weeks. I owned myself harder.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

I like how the only thing you do in this thread is talk poo poo and shoe horn your fat wife into your posts, then complain about the quality of the thread. :fuckoff:

:yikes:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

brutal

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rad Valtar posted:

I just got owned on the internet what will I do with my life. Ill play Battlefront on my Darth Vader PS4 in two weeks. I owned myself harder.

Pretty sure you'll be posting here instead.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Casnorf posted:

Pretty sure you'll be posting here instead.

I need to get my post count up in this thread if I'm going to as big of a retard as is believed.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
one thing a man in the prime of life could do instead of playing the star wars game is to play a good game, or play no games at all

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:gas:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ruddha posted:

one thing a man in the prime of life could do instead of playing the star wars game is to play a good game, or play no games at all

I'm with you on the first part, but the second option is pretty hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So, guys, how about those Playstations

• Locked thread