Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

chad.woodworth posted:

I have a Roku Streaming Stick but my TV doesn't have a USB outlet. I don't have the roku wall charger that came with it. Can I just use an iphone wall charger? Is that safe to leave plugged in all the time with the roku stick plugged into it?

Probably, yes. Just check the output on the adapter in the small print and the input on the roku stick. Most USB electronics are standardized though and smart enough to regulate their load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Help me settle a debate. If your house was struck by lightning, and you were using your phone while it was plugged in to the charger, would you get electrocuted?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think even if all of your safety equipment failed, that enough juice could be pushed through the ~3mm cable at enough amperage to do anything other than blow the cable. It's been a long time since undergrad physics though, I might be missing something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bioshuffle posted:

Help me settle a debate. If your house was struck by lightning, and you were using your phone while it was plugged in to the charger, would you get electrocuted?

This is possible but extremely unlikely - most likely the lightning would not hit your electrical system at all on its way to the ground. And even if it did, it would be more likely to harmlessly go to ground through it, and probably blow your breakers, rather than going into the circuit your phone charger was also on.

And even if it went through that circuit, it would be unlikely to jump from the phone to you with meaningful power to kill ya. Instead you'd probably just have a phone with a burnt out power port and a hefty repair or replacement bill.

But it's not strictly impossible.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

I don't think even if all of your safety equipment failed, that enough juice could be pushed through the ~3mm cable at enough amperage to do anything other than blow the cable. It's been a long time since undergrad physics though, I might be missing something.
I would think the 18ga wire they use would act as a fuse once 100 million volts passed through it, sacrificing the cable that you might live.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

is there a website that isn't garbage at looking up who these random fucks are that call me, and is also free?

Just google the number and use the first result. The site won't tell you who it is but the thousands of comments left by people doing the same should give you an idea.

Wisdom of the crowds and all that.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Bioshuffle posted:

No.
Lightning takes the least resistance path to ground. Houses are grounded so that there's a nice low resistance path between lightning (or a short from your electrical system) and ground. There's a huge number of paths to ground that it'll take before it chooses the path with you and your phone in it, even if you have the worst wired house and electrical grid.
If it did make it inside to your phone charger it'd melt and smell real bad from the insulation and probably burn you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Question for anthropologists: did our ancestors' eyebrows ever connect to their hairlines like Ganondorf's?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just almost had my car towed but came back while they had it on the tow truck. The guy said it'll cost $350 to get it out of the impound lot. I said no and that I'll give him cash now. Convinced him to give me the car back for $100 cash. Everything seemed fine but he said he needed to take a picture of my drivers license and asked me if this was my current address. Should I be worried that they will send me a bill for some reason?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Busy Bee posted:

I just almost had my car towed but came back while they had it on the tow truck. The guy said it'll cost $350 to get it out of the impound lot. I said no and that I'll give him cash now. Convinced him to give me the car back for $100 cash. Everything seemed fine but he said he needed to take a picture of my drivers license and asked me if this was my current address. Should I be worried that they will send me a bill for some reason?

Where do you live and did you get a receipt?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You got scammed unless this was in MD.

Drop fees (aka the price you pay in exactly your situation when you arrive when they're towing your car) are $50 in DC, $25 in Arlington and 50% of the tow fee in Maryland. Look up the laws for whatever jurisdiction you were in and report them. gently caress towing companies.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
This was in Los Angeles. I don't think I got scammed because the guy was ready to take it to his lot to impound it (on the tow truck) and was telling us it would cost $350 to pick it up. He said releasing the car would be $175 but we convinced him $100. He said the pic of the drivers license was for record keeping of the car being released or something. No we did not get a receipt.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

VC Section 22658 posted:

(g) (1) (B) Upon the request of the owner of the vehicle or that owner’s agent, the towing company or its driver shall immediately and unconditionally release a vehicle that is not yet removed from the private property and in transit.

(C) A person failing to comply with subparagraph (B) is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) If a vehicle is released to a person in compliance with subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1), the vehicle owner or authorized agent shall immediately move that vehicle to a lawful location.

(h) A towing company may impose a charge of not more than one-half of the regular towing charge for the towing of a vehicle at the request of the owner, the owner’s agent, or the person in lawful possession of the private property pursuant to this section if the owner of the vehicle or the vehicle owner’s agent returns to the vehicle after the vehicle is coupled to the tow truck by means of a regular hitch, coupling device, drawbar, portable dolly, or is lifted off the ground by means of a conventional trailer, and before it is removed from the private property. The regular towing charge may only be imposed after the vehicle has been removed from the property and is in transit..

If you get to your car before they have left the property they have to return it to you, but if it is done being hitched up then they can bill you for half the towing cost.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

This was in Los Angeles.

Thought this was the DC thread for some reason, ignore me. :downs:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Where do you live and did you get a receipt?

Yeah, without a receipt, it kinda sounds like you bribed the tow truck driver.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I just finished season 1 of Fargo and had a few questions:

What's the deal with the washing machine?

What was up with the fish? Surely that wasn't part of Malvo's plan because I can't see how he could've pulled that off.

What was the point of setting up Dennis from Always Sunny like that? If he wanted him dead he could've just killed him plain and simple, and it wouldn't work at all to frame him.

Did Malvo keep tapes of his conversations with clients for the purpose of leverage via blackmail?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, without a receipt, it kinda sounds like you bribed the tow truck driver.
You did. It worked. The end.

There may be a regulation on it, so you can look into that, but basically once your car is lashed to the truck there's no getting it back without money.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

What's the deal with the washing machine?

What do you mean? It represented the Lester's emasculation by his wife and after he killed her and got a new washing machine that wasn't broken, it signified his regaining his masculinity and confidence. He also briefly hid the murder weapon inside the old machine, so the new machine could also represent his getting away with the murder I suppose.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

As for the fish, the very next scene has a news report playing reporting that a water spout had picked up fish from a nearby lake and thrown them around the county.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hummingbirds posted:

What do you mean? It represented the Lester's emasculation by his wife and after he killed her and got a new washing machine that wasn't broken, it signified his regaining his masculinity and confidence. He also briefly hid the murder weapon inside the old machine, so the new machine could also represent his getting away with the murder I suppose.

I think I got the emasculation symbolism, but I guess I missed the part where he hid the hammer in it, which explains why he was bothered by the fact that it had been moved by the lady cop when she investigated it.

FCKGW posted:

As for the fish, the very next scene has a news report playing reporting that a water spout had picked up fish from a nearby lake and thrown them around the county.

OK, I figured that was the only explanation but I didn't hear the reporter mention a water spout.

Thanks guys.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I've been having to fly for my newish job and the flight times/distances are usually pretty comparable for the flights out and the flights back. But I am flying from Denver to Atlanta this week and the flight from DEN to ATL says 1,208 miles (2h 45m), while the flight back from ATL to DEN says 1,208 miles (3h 26m).

Why would the flight back be 26% longer, especially when it is the same distance? I get small changes because of flight patterns, weather, etc. but this just seemed ridiculous.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Jet stream.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Jet stream.

I flew direct from Seattle to Copenhagen one evening and can confirm the trip back was much more piecemeal, took longer and unfortunately not on Lufthansa.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

OctoberBlues posted:

I've been having to fly for my newish job and the flight times/distances are usually pretty comparable for the flights out and the flights back. But I am flying from Denver to Atlanta this week and the flight from DEN to ATL says 1,208 miles (2h 45m), while the flight back from ATL to DEN says 1,208 miles (3h 26m).

Why would the flight back be 26% longer, especially when it is the same distance? I get small changes because of flight patterns, weather, etc. but this just seemed ridiculous.

Either jetstream or a different type of aircraft.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Every once in a while, you'll read about a movie that cost something absurd like $200 million to produce, and it made $220 million or something back. Then for some reason people are convinced that the movie 'barely made any money'. That's $20 goddamn million dollars! Am I missing something important here?

For example; Star Trek Into Darkness cost $200 million, made $450 million. This is apparently considered 'not good not bad'. What? That's 250 million dollars that the whole collective who worked on the movie did not have before filming.

Is there some hidden cost somewhere that everyone just doesn't list for some reason? Why are these things not incorporated under the movie's budget? But even if literally only the making of star trek was $200 million, I doubt that more than $200 million went into marketing and whatever. That would still be a gain of $50 million. That is a lot of money. Or is this just a case of people being sad there new golden throne only has 450 clear-cut diamonds when they were really hoping for 500?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Namarrgon posted:

Every once in a while, you'll read about a movie that cost something absurd like $200 million to produce, and it made $220 million or something back. Then for some reason people are convinced that the movie 'barely made any money'. That's $20 goddamn million dollars! Am I missing something important here?

For example; Star Trek Into Darkness cost $200 million, made $450 million. This is apparently considered 'not good not bad'. What? That's 250 million dollars that the whole collective who worked on the movie did not have before filming.

Is there some hidden cost somewhere that everyone just doesn't list for some reason? Why are these things not incorporated under the movie's budget? But even if literally only the making of star trek was $200 million, I doubt that more than $200 million went into marketing and whatever. That would still be a gain of $50 million. That is a lot of money. Or is this just a case of people being sad there new golden throne only has 450 clear-cut diamonds when they were really hoping for 500?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

It's all evil, I tells ya!

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Do British people (specifically London if it's regional thing) say "man" as much as some Americans do? Like "yeah man traffic was bad. Like a parking lot, man". There's a new guy that does this and it sounds off in his accent, and I can't tell if he's adopting it to sound more casual or if it's just me being an ignorant American expecting him to be like BLOKE/CHAP/LAD all the time.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Do British people (specifically London if it's regional thing) say "man" as much as some Americans do? Like "yeah man traffic was bad. Like a parking lot, man". There's a new guy that does this and it sounds off in his accent, and I can't tell if he's adopting it to sound more casual or if it's just me being an ignorant American expecting him to be like BLOKE/CHAP/LAD all the time.

I have a friend from Poland that learned to speak English in Scotland that uses the word mate and man like that.

Not sure if that helps.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Well if someone that learns English as a second language in the UK picks up "man" as a quick interjection then it's probably common, so that does help :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I am British and I say 'Man' a lot. It's something my generation picked up from surfer movies, probably.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
A few years I ago I played Shadow Returns from GOG.com, but stopped playing after a few days. Recently I bought a Shadowrun compilation off of Steam. I restarted Shadowrun Returns and, to my amazement, it continued exactly where I left off. Same player character. How could the game have known? The last time I played was the Gog edition, and I reformatted my hard drive since then. What cloud did it upload my save to?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Yes. I can't think the last time I heard someone say chap or bloke.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Methanar posted:

I have a friend from Poland that learned to speak English in Scotland that uses the word mate and man like that.

Not sure if that helps.

"Mate" and "man" are very common in Scotland, "buddy" is used less often but still enough that nobody really bats an eye. "Pal" is only used when you're about to start a fight.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
See you Pal

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

On some police cruisers, and sometimes on other cars, there's an external rear facing light just in front of the windshield on the driver's side. What's this light for?

e: vv that makes sense, thanks!

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 2, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are you talking about the spotlights they have?

They're for blinding and subduing suspects illluminating areas not directly in front of the car.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Stupid newbie web server question:

I'm looking at a log file for a Windows web server, and there's something that is almost continually trying to hit an old page that no longer exists on the site.

The log entries look like this:

015-11-02 00:02:53 xx.x.x.53 GET /start - 443 - xxx.xx.xx.83 curl/7.24.0+(i386-pc-win32)+libcurl/7.24.0+OpenSSL/1.0.0g 404 0 0 15

IP addressed mostly X-ed out for anonymity.

The IP address ending in .83 is the IP for the VPC NAT in this company's Amazon Cloud Web Services (where the website also lives.)

Am I correct in saying that these requests are being made by some PC connecting in through that VPC, which is executing a curb/libcurl script?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

Would you keep your money in an account that makes 2%, or an account that makes 8%? That's why.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
So, a few days ago I posted a link to a sound effect and it STILL hasn't been guessed correctly. Here it is again:

https://soundcloud.com/z953/z-fx-10

This is driving my crazy trying to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xzoto1 posted:

So, a few days ago I posted a link to a sound effect and it STILL hasn't been guessed correctly. Here it is again:

https://soundcloud.com/z953/z-fx-10

This is driving my crazy trying to figure it out.

So wait, the radio show never gave it away? Assholes.

I am on iOS so can't listen to the soundcloud or I'd throw in a guess.