Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Skull Face wanting to kill off any language is funny because his favorite thing in the world is theatrical monologuing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Surlaw posted:

Skull Face wanting to kill off any language is funny because his favorite thing in the world is theatrical monologuing.

I've said it before

Skullface is Dr Weird from ATHF

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ayn rand hand job posted:

I've said it before

Skullface is Dr Weird from ATHF
GENTLEMEN

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There absolutely was an artificial nature to the coma because they specifically mention rousing him up ahead of the planned time.
Also the Medic was conscious after the crash. Big Boss was in a coma as they arrived for treatment (he even briefly flatlined), but Miller and the Medic were awake. The Medic moves his head and hears the doctors and everything. And that's with the shrapnel in his brain and missing hand, because the doctor comments on it. I'm inclined to think his injuries were miraculously not that bad in spite of everything (the horn doesn't really bother Venom on missions for example, so it healed up reasonably well). The coma he was put into was probably mostly artificial for the conditioning purposes.

I wonder if Ocelot got fed a line in that respect (or is bullshitting Big Boss), as in no way was the Medic "already dead" after the crash. Big Boss was in worse shape despite the Medic's injuries. Zero clearly made his condition worse in order to shape him into Venom. The interesting thing is Kaz would be the one who knows this, because Kaz was there and the least-injured man present. So he'd have known that his buddy the Medic was most certainly alive and conscious the last time he saw him 9 years ago, and realize what that would mean.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
What was Skullface's plan for people who speak sign language?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If your general plan is to disrupt the world, targeting the <1% that can do sign language would probably be a gross misuse of resources

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How exactly does Quiet know Navajo? Was she raised Navajo or just learned it at Cipher University? Stephanie has that half asian/native american look so maybe shes supposed to be part Navajo?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 2, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

How exactly does Quiet know navaho? Was she raised navaho or just learned it at Cipher University?

Quiet knows Navajo because she learned it at some point.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

evil hand transplants

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The cut scene where Kaz says "what about him?", is that only in a trailer?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Shaocaholica posted:

No? It's at the start of Mission 46 I believe, I don't know if it shows up in GZ though. It might.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

It's like the very first cutscene in the game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought that was only in the Truth version of the cutscene.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
The end of this game is bad. I'm glad Kojima is unemployed. Did he think he was writing the Sixth Sense?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Snak posted:

I thought that was only in the Truth version of the cutscene.

Yes, it's only in the truth version, everywhere else we get a cut version of that scene.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Quiet was an assassin for Skull Face, you can reasonably assume she learnt Navajo as part of her training.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Quiet was an assassin for Skull Face, you can reasonably assume she learnt Navajo as part of her training.

... but no other languages?

Bholder fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 3, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Who knows what languages she knows? It doesn't matter, if Miller catches her communicating in a way that doesn't involve violence, he's going to interrogate the poo poo out of her to figure out her real motives. Either she'll be killed by the torture, she'll talk and reveal that she was sent to kill Boss and Miller's going to order her dead or she'll escape and Miller's going to order her dead. There is nothing good for Quiet that comes out of her speaking.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
why did ocelot brainwash himself

seems unnecessary

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Venom Soag posted:

seems unnecessary

Ocelot is all about some hypnotherapy on himself because reasons.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Venom Soag posted:

seems unnecessary

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Venom Soag posted:

seems unnecessary

Given MGS4, I think he just likes to brainwash himself for fun.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
he did because living without john is too hard for him. ocelot had a hard life

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

ayn rand hand job posted:

If your general plan is to disrupt the world, targeting the <1% that can do sign language would probably be a gross misuse of resources

His plan wasn't just disruption though. He knew that Zero was using spoken language to control people, so he decided to remove the languages they had infiltrated. It was less "LOLTERRORISM" and more "gently caress Zero. We'll make new languages...with blackjack...and hookers."

Venom Soag posted:

seems unnecessary

Ocelot does interrogation. He knows the only 100% safe way to not crack under torture is if you honestly don't know...and brainwashing is the only way to unknow poo poo. Also, he gets off on it.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Ocelot is a dude who roofies himself for fun

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I went mad and deleted my save file so I can do a real second playthrough and see again all the stuff that you can only see once. There's a few things I can't figure out though.

During the hospital scene, who's controlling Psycho Mantis to kill Venom? In two scenes you can clearly see that Venom is controlling Psycho Mantis (there's a horn in his head) but during the times when Volgin is trying to kill Venom, Psycho Mantis doesn't seem to have anything that would point out who he's controlled by.

Also, during the cutscene between Hospital and first mission, you can see Venom wearing a white prosthesis that has only 4 fingers on it (little finger is missing). Does that have any symbolic significance? A reference to Moby Dick maybe?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
When Mantis is on fire, he's controlled by Volgin.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gtrmp posted:

When Mantis is on fire, he's controlled by Volgin.

Oh, that's right. I totally forgot about how Volgin woke up and Mantis escaped in the first place.

EDIT: So wait, Volgin was the one who "triggered" Mantis to crash the plane and go after Venom/Big Boss, right? How the hell did he have strong enough hatred for that if he was loving dead for 12 years or so?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 3, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nakar posted:

I wonder if Ocelot got fed a line in that respect (or is bullshitting Big Boss), as in no way was the Medic "already dead" after the crash. Big Boss was in worse shape despite the Medic's injuries. Zero clearly made his condition worse in order to shape him into Venom. The interesting thing is Kaz would be the one who knows this, because Kaz was there and the least-injured man present. So he'd have known that his buddy the Medic was most certainly alive and conscious the last time he saw him 9 years ago, and realize what that would mean.

I don't think this is necessarily true. You see a guy with a giant chunk of bone sticking out of his head, you can probably be made to believe that he died later on from injuries. I'm no neurosurgeon but it was probably a miracle that he survived anyway.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Jack Trades posted:

EDIT: So wait, Volgin was the one who "triggered" Mantis to crash the plane and go after Venom/Big Boss, right? How the hell did he have strong enough hatred for that if he was loving dead for 12 years or so?

Big Boss waking up triggered Mantis to crash the plane. Volgin was reanimated when Mantis was brought to the Soviet research institute and then immediately made a b-line for Cyprus, where Venom had since reawoken.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Jack Trades posted:

Hate is stated to be the only reason Volgin's body is even still alive. He's really, really pissed off.

EngineerSean posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true. You see a guy with a giant chunk of bone sticking out of his head, you can probably be made to believe that he died later on from injuries. I'm no neurosurgeon but it was probably a miracle that he survived anyway.
You don't think Kaz is capable of drawing the connection between his MSF buddy who ended up alive in the hospital with him with a missing hand and a huge chunk of shrapnel sticking out of his head and a guy 9 years later who looks like Big Boss except with a missing hand and a huge chunk of shrapnel sticking out of his head?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nakar posted:

Hate is stated to be the only reason Volgin's body is even still alive. He's really, really pissed off.

You don't think Kaz is capable of drawing the connection between his MSF buddy who ended up alive in the hospital with him with a missing hand and a huge chunk of shrapnel sticking out of his head and a guy 9 years later who looks like Big Boss except with a missing hand and a huge chunk of shrapnel sticking out of his head?

Kaz might not be able to see so he wouldn't notice the horn. He probably should've heard the prosthetic hand though, that'd have been a good giveaway.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nakar posted:

This is a good point but not only is he nearly blind but it also wouldn't be the dumbest thing to happen in this series :shrug:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Even if Kaz is blind, which I don't think is true (he's probably light-sensitive or something though), he's got to have heard someone talking about Big Boss. Or overheard the Russian soldiers talking about the guy who has a demonic horn. Or heard/felt Big Boss's prosthetic hand, or authorized development of it, or knew about the prosthetic engineer, etc. etc. etc.

This is probably good evidence for the Ocelot/Kaz stinger taking place early in the story, before Ocelot hypnotizes himself. Kaz is already aware that Venom is the Medic because there's no logical reason he shouldn't know, he's just keeping quiet on purpose because revenge. That or I just found a plot hole.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah honestly, at that point, I'm sure Kaz knew who Venom was. Ocelot even told him that they'd have to learn to co-exist during that conversation, which tells me that they've only just started working together in Diamond Dogs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that's actually the deal when you rescue Kaz. He asks "Boss, is that you?" because thinks maybe his old friend Big Boss has actually come to save him. And then he tries to hide his disappointment when he realizes his real friend didn't come for him.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Story-wise, it only makes sense for Miller to find out the truth about Venom after the events of the game. If he knew from the beginning, there would be no point for him to give Eli a DNA test because he would already know that the results would come back false whether Eli was an LET or not.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In It For The Tank posted:

Story-wise, it only makes sense for Miller to find out the truth about Venom after the events of the game. If he knew from the beginning, there would be no point for him to give Eli a DNA test because he would already know that the results would come back false whether Eli was an LET or not.
I mean, I'm not saying it would make sense for him to know the whole time. But I do think it would make sense for him to do the blood test because Venom suspects Eli. Kaz doesn't want Venom obsessing with his clones, so it's safest to just tell Venom he's not and be done with it. If Venom ever asks for a retest, it will back up Miller's result.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

In It For The Tank posted:

It's hard to distinguish them at times on the radio but wasn't Ocelot also pretty big on doing the genetic test? Kaz isn't going to go "Oh uh let's not" for no apparent reason even if he already knows. Hell, practically everyone strongly suspects Eli is one of the LET clones (including Eli), so there's really no reason for him to not do it. Plus if Ocelot is self-hypnotized then he's going to assume Venom actually is Big Boss and thus he should know full well that Eli is Liquid in which case getting a negative result might gently caress with Ocelot's head or something.

If Kaz knows the test is going to come back negative because Venom isn't really Big Boss then he has every reason to do it in order to complicate matters for everyone else involved. It's probably killing him to have to pretend his brainwashed MSF buddy is Big Boss all the time but he knows he can't just come out and tell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

I mean, I'm not saying it would make sense for him to know the whole time. But I do think it would make sense for him to do the blood test because Venom suspects Eli. Kaz doesn't want Venom obsessing with his clones, so it's safest to just tell Venom he's not and be done with it. If Venom ever asks for a retest, it will back up Miller's result.

Nakar posted:

It's hard to distinguish them at times on the radio but wasn't Ocelot also pretty big on doing the genetic test? Kaz isn't going to go "Oh uh let's not" for no apparent reason even if he already knows. Hell, practically everyone strongly suspects Eli is one of the LET clones (including Eli), so there's really no reason for him to not do it. Plus if Ocelot is self-hypnotized then he's going to assume Venom actually is Big Boss and thus he should know full well that Eli is Liquid in which case getting a negative result might gently caress with Ocelot's head or something.

If Kaz knows the test is going to come back negative because Venom isn't really Big Boss then he has every reason to do it in order to complicate matters for everyone else involved. It's probably killing him to have to pretend his brainwashed MSF buddy is Big Boss all the time but he knows he can't just come out and tell him.

This discussion is made really difficult because a lot of Eli's story is relegated to cutscenes and radio calls that are not repeatable and also the fact that it's confirmed that half the characters are lying to themselves and the others might be lying to us so it's difficult to say what is and what is not actually true.

With that in mind, based on what I remember and the few tapes we do have, Venom doesn't seem to have much interest in Eli at all and is characteristically silent on the matter. It's certainly not eating away at him that Eli might be his clone, at least that I can see. This leads me to think that the blood test was done for Miller and/or Ocelot's benefit. Ocelot definitely shows an interest in Eli, saying he suspected Eli as an LET basically the moment he laid eyes on him, so it is plausible he pushed for the blood test. However, Miller definitely could have stalled attempts to test Eli if he wanted to without really raising suspicion, much like he basically protected Eli from Ocelot for the entirety of Chapter 2 despite the fact that Eli was being a little shitheel that was threatening mutiny and blatantly planning something sinister. If anything, if Miller knew the test would come back fake, he has a motive to stop the blood test because Eli was causing so much trouble that the revelation that he's not Big Boss' clone and is actually just some kid makes it a lot more difficult to justify keeping him around despite the evident threat he poses. The idea that an aware Miller let the test go ahead with the knowledge it would come back false just to mess with Ocelot or to trick an already apathetic Venom also doesn't strike me as convincing.

It makes more sense to me that Miller didn't know the results ahead of time and that he consequently didn't know Venom's identity.

• Locked thread