Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Tykero posted:

I posted this in the PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking Megathread, but it might make sense here too:

I'm considering upgrading my GTX 760 to a GTX 980 TI. I play a lot of video games and I like to press "ultra" and be done with video settings, which I can't do any more.
I play in1920 x 1200 resolution, dual monitor (one for gameplay, another usually has a twitch stream or something on it).

Anybody have any recommendations on a particular version?
I run that resolution with a 290 and can run basically everything at max, so a 970 would be a good choice for similar or better performance unless you plan on upgrading your monitor soon**.

I like MSI cards and can vouch for their warranty service as they had a 280X cooler repaired and returned to me in about 7 days.

** edit: or that. If you want to do downsampling a 980 or 980ti might be a better option for now.
VV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

If you're only running 1080p and don't plan to upgrade that at all in the near future just get a 970 of your favorite flavor.

e: 1200p, still.

I disagree with this line of advice I see given out in the thread. You can downsample res and get a decent amount of the benefits of a better monitor.

How about this:
I have a 780ti and game on a 1080p monitor half the time (big tv) and from games like GTA5 to Witcher 3 to Mad Max, you won't get a solid 60 with dowsampling unless you turn stuff down.

If someone is telling you that a geforce 970 can run 1080p games at 60 fps while downsampled and maxed I personally feel they're doing you a huge disservice, but apparently that consensus has already been decided.

I think a 980ti is a good choice for being able to max stuff out and not worry about it. The cost scaling is roughly linear from what I recall too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rakthar posted:

I disagree with this line of advice I see given out in the thread. You can downsample res and get a decent amount of the benefits of a better monitor.

If I had the money to blow on a 980 Ti, I'd do it. What happens if you get a VR headset and want to drive 90 FPS all the time, or a higher frame rate monitor?

970's great value, but the guy was considering a 980 Ti from the get-go, and I agree he'd be happiest with that, on top of having a longer upgrade time until his next purchase.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just ordered the discounted EVGA 980 ti that Zero VGS pointed out.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What would a fair price for a used EVGA 760 4gb be?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Massasoit posted:

What would a fair price for a used EVGA 760 4gb be?

If you want to sell it quickly, ~$135-150.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HalloKitty posted:

If I had the money to blow on a 980 Ti, I'd do it. What happens if you get a VR headset and want to drive 90 FPS all the time...

Well, given the Maxwell limitations on thread scheduling, async compute, async shaders, context switching, context termination, etc - that might not be the best decision in the world. The Rift guys are describing the NVIDIA ecosystem as "bad, potentially catastrophic" for VR right now. Maybe they fix it with Pascal, maybe the 980 Ti is enough to brute-force 90 fps at a given settings level, but it's a gamble and the sure bet is keeping the money in your pocket until the 16nm stuff starts coming out. If you really want a Rift-ready rig right today the sure bet is actually Fury or Crossfire Fury.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I wonder if Nvidia has already read the tea leaves and saw VR only hitting stride in 2018? A mere cost analysis might show that consumers won't be able to afford it on a worthwhile scale for some time based on performance requirements, so why bother adding heat producing junk to your next release and just go on beating your competition on perf/watt. Doesn't Nvidia basically have a shitton of sensitive info on AMD designs to make the better guesses?

If anything AMD likely has bet too much yet again on something to far into the future to really matter, and Nvidia will sock them real hard for it.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 2, 2015

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, given the Maxwell limitations on thread scheduling, async compute, async shaders, context switching, context termination, etc - that might not be the best decision in the world. The Rift guys are describing the NVIDIA ecosystem as "bad, potentially catastrophic" for VR right now. Maybe they fix it with Pascal, maybe the 980 Ti is enough to brute-force 90 fps at a given settings level, but it's a gamble and the sure bet is keeping the money in your pocket until the 16nm stuff starts coming out. If you really want a Rift-ready rig right today the sure bet is actually Fury or Crossfire Fury.

Has been any offical word on this whole maxwell is the anti christ of VR i keep hearing about? Every dev doing stuff for vr and the demo units i have seen have been running nvidia

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nvidia doesn't do preemption very well, which is documented in their own devkits, so the gist is "VR is terrible for nvidia cards unless you program specifically for them"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rip: CCC http://pokde.net/blog/rip-amd-catalyst-welcome-radeon-software-crimson-edition/

Who am I kidding, good riddance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good loving riddance.

Now, when can I get my goddamn hands on these loving drivers?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FaustianQ posted:

I wonder if Nvidia has already read the tea leaves and saw VR only hitting stride in 2018? A mere cost analysis might show that consumers won't be able to afford it on a worthwhile scale for some time based on performance requirements, so why bother adding heat producing junk to your next release and just go us on beating you competition on perf/watt. Doesn't Nvidia basically have a shitton of sensitive info on AMD designs to make the better guesses?

If anything AMD likely has bet too much yet again on something to far into the future to really mattwr., and Nvidia will sock the real hard for it.

Yep. They aren't selling Maxwell with vr benches available. So it's probably going to matter about as much as the 7970 aging as well or better than basically any card ever.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

nvidia doesn't do preemption very well, which is documented in their own devkits, so the gist is "VR is terrible for nvidia cards unless you program specifically for them"

They will though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah that'll happen when you can afford to throw money and employees at middleware developers

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Huh, that actually looks decent. It's definitely more streamlined than CCC, which was saddled with too many years of tacking features on to an existing base. A complete redo is just what it needed.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
god drat nvidia keeps throwing money and employees at problems to fix them ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

god drat nvidia keeps throwing money and employees at problems to fix them ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
:supaburn: If only it weren't for their huge R&D budget being put into alleviating technical shortcomings in their currently existing hardware

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

But for real, is that VR issue still a biggie with nvidia?

I guess we'll find out really soon actually, jeez the vive releases in less than two months I just realized.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

1gnoirents posted:

That's a good way to fix problems or at least a solid start tho??

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

No its bullying

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Panty Saluter posted:

That's a good way to fix problems or at least a solid start tho??
It is. It's just funny because it means whatever gamble AMD tries doesn't really work that much in favor of them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Rift guys are describing the NVIDIA ecosystem as "bad, potentially catastrophic" for VR right now.

FWIW, that was an unattributed quote, and I couldn't find anyone at Oculus who could tell me what it was in reference to, so I wouldn't read too much into it. IIRC Oculus' public demo events have always used NVIDIA cards.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously hardware designs that predate the existence of VR won't be optimized for new and different workloads. I'm not sure how this is news to anyone. As usual new better HW will be out well before appropriate software is widely available to take advantage of it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

But for real, is that VR issue still a biggie with nvidia?

I guess we'll find out really soon actually, jeez the vive releases in less than two months I just realized.

Either VR hits 90fps solid with a motion-to-photon latency of >20ms, or it doesn't. Oculus is straight-up telling every VR developer to target that performance on a GTX 970, and there's plenty of VR stuff that already does.

Really, I'd be blaming the developers at this point. If they can't make those numbers on a 970 then they either think adding more shinys is worth making the end user puke, or they're really bad at optimizing.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I don't even care about VR. It's not out, so why should I obsess over hardware that is going to be obsolete by the time VR actually comes out?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
VR is so bad on nvidia that oculus is using nvidia machines to demo their poo poo

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm not saying VR will be a flash in the pan much like 3d tv's, but we may want to temper our expectations a bit (who am I kidding lol)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I just don't know why people care so much right now. VR stuff keeps getting delayed, and at the rate most people in this thread upgrade it won't matter until at least their next upgrade cycle.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The best part about VR right now is reselling oculus rift dk2 headsets

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm not saying VR will be a flash in the pan much like 3d tv's, but we may want to temper our expectations a bit (who am I kidding lol)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I just don't know why people care so much right now. VR stuff keeps getting delayed, and at the rate most people in this thread upgrade it won't matter until at least their next upgrade cycle.

Cue the clickbait headlines like "After three years without a product, is VR over before it even started?"

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

You guys are going to be so jealous when I'm running around 8x10 room screaming like a jackass tripping over my cord and faceplanting through my wall with my HTC Vive this Christmas

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Either VR hits 90fps solid with a motion-to-photon latency of >20ms, or it doesn't. Oculus is straight-up telling every VR developer to target that performance on a GTX 970, and there's plenty of VR stuff that already does.

Really, I'd be blaming the developers at this point. If they can't make those numbers on a 970 then they either think adding more shinys is worth making the end user puke, or they're really bad at optimizing.

I'd just like to point out that the "motion to photon latency" is also a key part of that equation - it doesn't matter how many frames a 970 or a 980 Ti can push on average if there's too much latency in the pipeline, or if there's microstutter going on.

Basically I think what it will boil down to is NVIDIA leaving a higher safety margin to account for that. So if AMD can target 90% of the total frametime as an average, maybe NVIDIA has to target 75%. They've always pulled through in the driver department, and they have a huge chunk of the marketshare, so beyond an apocalyptic "nobody can make it work on NVIDIA" (which doesn't seem to be the case so far) I think everyone will more or less be forced to play ball.

I kinda think the Rift will end up being more intensive than an equivalent single-screen monitor will be, for a variety of reasons. In terms of total resolution it's ~25% more than 1080p, or roughly 70% of 1440p. But that's divided into two separate viewports , which is going to mean assembling 2 sets of geometry, shading everything twice, etc. I also think that one of the tricks to get low latency is going to involve rendering an oversized viewport. In other words if the FoV is normally 100* and most players won't turn more than 15* during the frametime, then you will render a 130* FoV. Then as the penultimate step, you translate the viewport rectangles around the oversized bitmap to account for the player's motion since the frame began rendering. You have to do an extra transform to warp the viewport to match the Oculus screen, as well, and that will have to happen right at the end. All in all I wouldn't be surprised to see it be 50% slower than the same resolution rendered to a single flat screen.

I do know that Rift laid down an ultimatum that a 970 will be the minimum spec and I do think that most of the devs are going to make sure you can run it on a 970 without puking. That said I think people are putting a little too much faith in the minimum spec. Running games at minimum spec has always been unpleasant, and with the hard 90fps target I think graphical quality may take a backseat. Admittedly there's hugely diminishing returns on turning up the settings, but I worry that the :pcgaming: crowd will be a bit bummed about having to drop to medium or low settings to hit sync framerate.

If I was buying an NVIDIA card for a Rift rig, right now, I'd buy the 980 Ti, sure. SLI can theoretically scale really well (one card per viewport) but I'd prefer to see the results before forking over. Fast single card is the safe bet, and nobody can dispute the 980 Ti is an absolute brute of a card. The devs are running on it right now (although who knows whether they're really hitting 90fps) and I can't imagine that it won't do high/ultra at framesync rates for the near future.

e: Also, I know Carmack says the Rift's panel isn't compatible with G-Sync/FreeSync. But I would definitely bet it'll be introduced in future generations.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 3, 2015

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Crosspost from the PC Parts building thread:

I'm so torn on whether to get 1 EVGA 980 Ti or 2. How smart / not smart is it to SLI these cards in an R5 case with air cooling. Would I need to buy some more/better fans for my case? Also, would my computer case turn into a jet engine of noise?

I've never SLI'd cards before, and keep going from "it's a great idea!" to "What the gently caress are you doing?" That $610 per card sale is really tempting, no tax and free shipping to boot.

I do want to game at 1440p with Gsync, but only if two cards wont cook my room to death and make me go deaf at the same time... and if the price to performance ratio isn't full on loving stupid.

The order of games that I play at the moment are:

World of Warships (50% of my time)
Path of Exile (25%)
Heroes of the Storm (10%)
Battlefield 4 (10%)
Other - Cities Skylines, Crusader Kings, Civ V (10%)

I have no idea what games I'll be playing in the future.

My current setup is 1 Sapphire HD 6870 hooked up to a 24" Television. (also no SSD!) So either way, it's going to be a drastic boost.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I would think one 980ti would be plenty, unless you're shooting for 144 fps...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Rev posted:

I'm so torn on whether to get 1 EVGA 980 Ti or 2. How smart / not smart is it to SLI these cards in an R5 case with air cooling. Would I need to buy some more/better fans for my case? Also, would my computer case turn into a jet engine of noise?

I've never SLI'd cards before, and keep going from "it's a great idea!" to "What the gently caress are you doing?" That $610 per card sale is really tempting, no tax and free shipping to boot.

I do want to game at 1440p with Gsync, but only if two cards wont cook my room to death and make me go deaf at the same time... and if the price to performance ratio isn't full on loving stupid.

The order of games that I play at the moment are:

World of Warships (50% of my time)
Path of Exile (25%)
Heroes of the Storm (10%)
Battlefield 4 (10%)
Other - Cities Skylines, Crusader Kings, Civ V (10%)

I have no idea what games I'll be playing in the future.

My current setup is 1 Sapphire HD 6870 hooked up to a 24" Television. (also no SSD!) So either way, it's going to be a drastic boost.

I run sli in an s340 which is way way smaller and have no issues. Mine are ref cooled titan xs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Rev posted:

The games you're listing are mostly not twitchy FPSs. I don't think you need a pair of 980 Tis to run those. I certainly can't blame you for wanting to blow the money, if I had $1200 burning a hole in my pocket I probably would too. I'm kinda on the edge myself (for one).

What motherboard are you doing? Make sure it's SLI compatible (at least 8x on both slots).

Two custom-cooled cards that are up tight against each other tend to have airflow problems. Ironically this is actually a situation where blower coolers sometimes do better since they're exhausting rather than intaking. They are noisier however.

uATX mobos support SLI but only with the cards right up against each other. Especially with air-cooled, I'd try to find an ATX mobo with 3-slot spacing on the primary PCI-E slots.

Maxwell is made for overclocking - to really unlock that rig you need to run +30% clocks and stuff. SLI cards are always going to be more powerful, but an overclock will make up a chunk of the difference. And it's free.

I personally think air cooling will eventually throttle you with that rig, especially overclocked. With intake coolers, you are dumping a minimum of 500W into the case just from the GPUs. You either need to be moving that heat close to an exit with a loop, or thinking about pushing some serious exhaust.

The EVGA Hybrid coolers are a good deal if you have the radiator mounts and routing space. A good full-coverage waterblock is a minimum of $100, and you also need to purchase the rest of the loop on top of that (~$200). So you're looking at $400-500 for a loop, vs $275 for a couple Hybrids and an AIO for your CPU, plus it's dirt simple to install. Also you can buy the cards now and the Hybrid addon kits later when money is available and/or if the need dictates. Might even be worth waiting around for a sale on the cards with the Hybrids preinstalled.

On the other hand - once you've paid the buy-in for a loop you can do some stuff that the AIO kits just can't. If you've got the money you can do SLI uATX builds that won't melt themselves, that kind of thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 3, 2015

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Rev: buy a single 980Ti and an SSD with the money you'd have used on the second card. A nice big SSD.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I currently have my eye on this one, but am not tied to it in the slightest.
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

I want to stick with air cooling, if SLI is just going to turn my rig into a screaming oven, perhaps it's not in the stars for me.

Td4Guy: I got a new job and this is my gift to myself, that and i'm due for an upgrade. I have enough set aside for a 1tb 850 evo. My budget for everything is 3k, but willing to go to 3.5k if SLI is involved.

I agree it sounds like a bit of overkill. That and I want to get the most out of my Acer 144hz monitor (don't own one yet, but that's what I'll be getting).

The problems you run into when you have a bit of money and enjoy computer games :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Panty Saluter posted:

I would think one 980ti would be plenty, unless you're shooting for 144 fps...

That was the impression I got when they posted in the PC parts thread. They are willing to spend $4k total, they wanted a 144Hz/GSync/1440p monitor and they want to put every setting as high as it can go so I told them that if they want to do all that and get anywhere near 144fps it would take a SLI 980 Ti setup. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Rev posted:

Buy a single GTX 980 Ti then buy a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD(You could even buy two).