Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Location source book for f&d :allears:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/2/nexus-of-power/

Strongholds of Resistance is shipping :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like the callbacks to The Clone Wars series with the Ilum caves and that sweet Jedi Temple Guard on the cover. Also mentioning the temple on Lothal from Rebels.

Also, Gungan player characters. :allears:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, Gungan player characters. :allears:

Gonna stat up a Gungan Inquisitor Nemesis

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What a perfect location book for F&D! I can't believe I hadn't even considered it. Interesting species choices though..I mean, I am by no means upset, but they just seem like odd picks.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Location source book for f&d :allears:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/2/nexus-of-power/

Strongholds of Resistance is shipping :)

Star Wars (the RPG) definitely needs xenos obscure temples of questionable Force allegiance. The only other thing it needs is ships from bygone eras popping out of the Warp hyperspace, ships with no signs of life or power that nevertheless keep tripping motion detection on sensors.

homullus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 3, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So my session yesterday was rad as hell and I had to share it. I've been GMing and one of my players expressed some interest in picking up the reins so I decided to finish this one arc before switching out. The group are working for a slightly-more-reputable-than-usual Hutt and were on Nar Shaddaa beating up on some pirates/swoop gangs. They had just won a swoop race and had infiltrated the gang's base, and were tasked with disrupting a shipment of spice the gang was about to receive. Natually, they decide to hijack the speeder carrying the shipment, plant a baradium charge into it, and run it into the gang's base. The hijacking goes relatively smoothly (although they don't dispatch the guards and driver very cleanly) and it comes time to plant the charge. It's an easy check and our droid doesn't have mechanics, but he does have 5 intelligence. I decide to make it interesting and upgrade it. Everyone is a little tense, but I comment that it's only a one in twelve chance that the baradium blows up.

It blows up.

The droid is (somehow, relatively) unscathed but one of my players loses a hand and another one gets hamstrung. Everyone laughed and cheered and one player is super excited to get a cool cyber-hand. I love this game so much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For those playing along at home, there are currently 6 announced supplements:

1 for Edge of the Empire: Mask of the Pirate Queen (Adventure)
2 for Age of Rebellion: Strongholds of Resistance (Location) and Lead by Example (Commander supplement)
3 for Force and Destiny: Chronicles of the Gatekeeper (Adventure), Keeping the Peace (Guardian supplement), and Nexus of Power (Location)

I get the heavier focus on the much-anticipated Jedi side of things...but I want the last two EotE career splats!!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As someone getting into this rpg late, I find it completely baffling that bounty hunters don't have a book yet since its the first class my players all want to roll up every time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

As someone getting into this rpg late, I find it completely baffling that bounty hunters don't have a book yet since its the first class my players all want to roll up every time.

I do freelance work for FFG sometimes. I have seen at least one product I worked on take over a year between when I did stuff and when it got announced initially. It could actually be in development, and could have been for a while.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder if they've been sitting on that one purely to build demand for it.

On a related note, I appreciate how they've been alternating between the more combat heavy classes and the more social/non-combat classes for sourcebooks.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I wonder if they've been sitting on that one purely to build demand for it.

Probably not, when they could have been selling the book all along and even expanding on it if it proved popular. My understanding is that in general, every RPG expansion/splat sells fewer copies than the previous one, until a company probably won't make money if they print the next one. That's when a product line ends.

My personal hope would be for an Imperial sourcebook. Some modular encounters (with maps) for Imperial prisons, sneaking about Imperial ships and into Imperial bases. Maybe a few basic non-career specialization templates like the first two Force-sensitive ones and the Rebel soldier one. Whatever of the myriad TIE ships they haven't covered already.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Maybe the Bounty Hunter splat is being held up because they're including some super secret Episode VII content. :tinfoil: :ohdear:

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I am thinking about an in game retcon to make the duration of the Clone Wars 9 years instead of 3 years.

My current F&D players have seen the films but none of the Clone Wars animated\CGI content, and it has been really fun to reveal in game just how devastating the war against the Separatists was on the galaxy and particularly on the Jedi Order, and the gamers in my group have been eating it up. I had been going on the assumption that the war lasted a bit less than a decade and I was surprised to find out that by canon it was only 3 years, from 22 BY to 19 BY.

I think the longer time frame works well for the game setting we are running where the young F&D padawans are cruising around the galaxy learning what truly caused the Orders downfall, but I am curious what the thread thinks.

Also, I took the Lightsaber construction rules from the GM kit and made a specific gear sheet for Lightsabers, expanding on the rules a bit in places. Here is a the sheet on Google Drive , it would be cool to get feedback on it from other GMs. It is a bit ghetto as I don't have access to Illustrator.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Beach posted:

I am thinking about an in game retcon to make the duration of the Clone Wars 9 years instead of 3 years.

My current F&D players have seen the films but none of the Clone Wars animated\CGI content, and it has been really fun to reveal in game just how devastating the war against the Separatists was on the galaxy and particularly on the Jedi Order, and the gamers in my group have been eating it up. I had been going on the assumption that the war lasted a bit less than a decade and I was surprised to find out that by canon it was only 3 years, from 22 BY to 19 BY.

I think the longer time frame works well for the game setting we are running where the young F&D padawans are cruising around the galaxy learning what truly caused the Orders downfall, but I am curious what the thread thinks.

Also, I took the Lightsaber construction rules from the GM kit and made a specific gear sheet for Lightsabers, expanding on the rules a bit in places. Here is a the sheet on Google Drive , it would be cool to get feedback on it from other GMs. It is a bit ghetto as I don't have access to Illustrator.

That is a great gear sheet, well done.

I don't think it matters what you do with the Clone Wars. You can also have pockets of resistance fighting long after -- two EotE adventures have little pockets of survivors from the Clone Wars in them, so having some stuff happen post-19 BBY is also fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

That is a great gear sheet, well done.

I don't think it matters what you do with the Clone Wars. You can also have pockets of resistance fighting long after -- two EotE adventures have little pockets of survivors from the Clone Wars in them, so having some stuff happen post-19 BBY is also fine.

Yeah; the big thing to remember about the Clone Wars is that as much as it was pure orchestration by Sidious...it still was a galaxy-spanning war. It "only" lasted 3 years, but that's 3 years for every single system affected by the war. There's loads of possibilities for stories taking place after the "official" conclusion of the war that still deal with fallout from it.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Officially the Clone Wars may have only lasted three years but the build up was longer (the first droid armies being built, the attack on Naboo from the Phantom Menace, Syfo Dyas starting the clone armies) and those separatist armies didn't just shut down because the new Emperor said so.

So the clean up by the new Empire and taking back the now fragmented Separatist systems would take some time as the Separatist fleet was huge and could fortify a number of systems.

I know it may of been junked with the rest of the cannon but the Trade Federation was disbanded and its assets seized or handed over to Palps friends, same with the Banking Clan and Techno Union, all of who could put up a big fight even if they would loose in the end.

Then you have the crack down on certain systems that may not be very happy with the new Empire.

The official war may have lasted only 3 years but the actual war lasted much longer.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The official war may have lasted only 3 years but the actual war lasted much longer.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

New campaign theme spotted.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Beach posted:

New campaign theme spotted.

Imperial Troops stuck in a war-torn Separatist hold-out world dominated by religious/secularist/sectarian organizations all vying for control of the planet and its resources. The Imperial Troops have to deal with fighting an insurgent campaign while higher ranking political officials dither on what the troops on the ground Imperials should be doing to Win the War.

I might have thought too much about a Vietnam/Gulf War-style Star Wars campaign.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Had our second game session tonight and it's really starting to come alive as the whole group begins to get into the dice mechanic. The advantage/triumph system really rewards lateral thinking (and cinematic action rather than number-crunching), especially when you get into a firefight and almost nobody in the party has enough weapon skills to hit anything. :v:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 5, 2015

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Corbeau posted:

Had our second game session tonight and it's really starting to come alive as the whole group begins to get into the dice mechanic. The advantage/triumph system really rewards lateral thinking (and cinematic action rather than number-crunching), especially when you get into a firefight and almost nobody in the party has enough weapon skills to hit anything. :v:

It really is amazing how many spare parts crates full of lubricant/ball bearings/clowns with pie throwers there are just lying around in the streets and alleys, isn't it? :)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How often does strain damage come up in close combat situations? Considering making a Wookie Maurader/Doctor for a game, and wondering if the general poor strain threshold for Wookies might make it difficult to make much use of stuff like Stim Application/Dodge.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Zerilan posted:

How often does strain damage come up in close combat situations? Considering making a Wookie Maurader/Doctor for a game, and wondering if the general poor strain threshold for Wookies might make it difficult to make much use of stuff like Stim Application/Dodge.

Depends on the xp levels. Low xp games it doesn't matter much but when you get to the medium to high xp levels you can burn through strain quickly as lots of talents use it as it is a balancing mechanic. If you choose a low strain race then make sure you buy the +1 strain talents that are in every tree and keep an eye on when you use it.

The really xp expensive way to reduce strain use in combat is to become force sensitive with either Force Emergent or Force Exile and then get the defense set of talents from the Sense force power. Adding two upgrades to two attackers per round for just committing your force dice is a nice buff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

To close out act 1 of Long Arm of the Hutt, my group:

repaired the earthmoving machine being used by some thugs to harass a town of friendly miners,

rigged it to travel quickly and in a straight line,

jammed the apartment door shut on the thug boss,

crashed the bulldozer through the corner of the cantina, tearing off the roof and flattening two walls and three thugs,

shot the rest of the thugs as they stumbled deaf and blind out of the wreckage,

and shot the boss as he blasted his way out of his locked apartment and into our kill zone.

We couldn't get any explosives to tape to the front of the bulldozer, but I'm sure they'll come up next week.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My players had a bounty from a Hutt to kill a wookie. I talked up how dangerous this guy is so obviously they had to recruit him, right? They stowed him on their ship after talking to him and hearing his sad story about being an ex slave, and then had to figure out another way to get the bounty. Surely the hutt can't tell wookies apart, right?

They used a light side point to say that a wookie had just escaped prison, shot the escaped prisoner in the back and cut off his head to turn into the hutt. They used a thermal detonator to destroy his body, as well as another light side point to say "He was definitely a child molester". I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Also, they just bought a used starship without searching it, what's the absolute worst thing they could find aboard in a secret compartment?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 9, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also, they just bought a used starship without searching it, what's the absolute worst thing they could find aboard in a secret compartment?
Death Star plans.

Both the imps and the rebels will stop at nothing to get their hands on it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Clone war era buzz droids that activate at a really bad time and start dismantling the ship from the compartment out.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Darth Vader's teenage diary.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Buzzdroids sound good. This is what happens when you buy a used starship from a squib, I suppose!

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Buzzdroids sound good. This is what happens when you buy a used starship from a squib, I suppose!

I think I'm going to use this now too.

Old ship is stuffed with buzz droids by the Separatists to be used as a clandestine attack. Separatists fall apart so it never happens. Ship bounces around between people and they never find them. New crew grabs ship and they jump to an Outer Rim planet with an old Republic station that's been kicked over for private use or something. Passive thing detects and wakes them up. Build in more story hooks etc...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is a sword and pistol wielding character an effective or worthwhile build in EotE?

I feel like a Hired Gun mighy be able to pull it off. Marauder/Gunslinger would be pretty XP intensive, and not leave room for much else.

Of course, a trandoshan with a heavy blaster pistol is an option.

Any thoughts?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Is a sword and pistol wielding character an effective or worthwhile build in EotE?

I feel like a Hired Gun mighy be able to pull it off. Marauder/Gunslinger would be pretty XP intensive, and not leave room for much else.

Of course, a trandoshan with a heavy blaster pistol is an option.

Any thoughts?
You're already taking a penalty for dual-wielding, there's another difficulty upgrade for firing while in melee. It's too many purps to make the extra damage worth it.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So I've been having alot of fun running a campaign for my little brother and I've been learning as I go for the most part. Last time I mentioned this campaign someone suggested throwing in droids to help make up for the lack of PC's and I like to thank whoever that I was as its been hilarious giving my brother a slightly insane R4 . I have one quick question as a newbie GM :

1)Is it okay to interject when someone is about to do something that could be very bad for them? This came up because at one point my little brother wanted to run headlong into a group of about 10ish gangsters at nightclub in Nar Shadaa and I chimed in that it would probably woud'nt have ended well for him. How do you guys strike a balance between letting the players do what they want, whilst making sure they still have a good time?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The Sisko posted:

So I've been having alot of fun running a campaign for my little brother and I've been learning as I go for the most part. Last time I mentioned this campaign someone suggested throwing in droids to help make up for the lack of PC's and I like to thank whoever that I was as its been hilarious giving my brother a slightly insane R4 . I have one quick question as a newbie GM :

1)Is it okay to interject when someone is about to do something that could be very bad for them? This came up because at one point my little brother wanted to run headlong into a group of about 10ish gangsters at nightclub in Nar Shadaa and I chimed in that it would probably woud'nt have ended well for him. How do you guys strike a balance between letting the players do what they want, whilst making sure they still have a good time?

You could have an NPC give him some friendly advice, or resolve the battle so if/when he gets defeated by this group, they kick him out of the nightclub instead of killing him. He got beaten but maybe was able to learn some key information about where he should go instead of trying to attack the gangsters again. In the beginner campaign they have a few scenarios like that so it's not just game over if the players lose, like if the party is defeated attacking a hutt's palace, they end up captured and the next adventure involves trying to break out of a palace prison, etc.

Since you're both learning I don't think it would be the worst thing to suggest it's a bad idea, but it might be better to teach him to ask questions, gather intel about what's going on in the game rather than just telling him (I make this mistake all the time in telling, not showing the party).

For me as a GM, the trouble I'm running into is that my party is extremely strong because they've been very smart about disabling ships and droids they've come across to build up a crazy scavenged defense force. It's tough to hit that sweet spot of "challenging but not unfair" in terms of how many guys and how many ships will present them with a proper combat challenge.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 10, 2015

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Everblight posted:

You're already taking a penalty for dual-wielding, there's another difficulty upgrade for firing while in melee. It's too many purps to make the extra damage worth it.

If you don't actually use the two at the same time it works fine, the increased difficulty only happens of you try to launch multiple attacks. If you find a pistol with medium or long range it can bee worthwhile, you don't need to spend a maneuver or two switching weapons you just fire the pistol until you want to charge and then use the sword. The pistols with long range are expensive though, the X-30 Lancer from Enter the Unknown is 1000 credits. Ion blaster or static pistol might also be effective since they'd grant capabilities the sword doesn't have, in spite of the fact they are only short range. The defensive bonus from the sword would still apply while firing the pistol if the character gets rushed.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, the dice system is kind of hard to get the most out of when everyone is dead tired when they arrive to game night. Maybe sometimes it's just better to play a boardgame instead of trying to do creative thinking on the fly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Okay, the dice system is kind of hard to get the most out of when everyone is dead tired when they arrive to game night. Maybe sometimes it's just better to play a boardgame instead of trying to do creative thinking on the fly.

Tying to have a game night with a bunch of tired people is not a good idea in general. Better to delay a night and come back fresh.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Anyone pick up Strongholds? My store didn't get it today

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Anyone pick up Strongholds? My store didn't get it today

I got the phone call saying it was in stock; gonna pick it up tomorrow after work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my copy! Any info requests?