Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

All this time I thought divabot was a girl based on the name, thanks for exposing me as a sexist pig :smith:

well I used to be a prettyboy before I got old, bald and fat.

(sob)

now I only have Tumblr flame wars to comfort me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He doesn't actually do this, I was making a joke:ssh:

I let my eagerness to nerd it up about a thing I like override my good sense. Again :negative:

Jack Gladney posted:

What must it be like to be one of these turds? Do they have friends? Do they go on dates? Do they just shout and pound their fists all the time?

The care and cultivation of seething resentment is a time- and energy-consuming habit. It's arguably also a habit in the sense that umbrage and outrage can become almost a psychological addiction. (The Slacktivist, who writes over at Patheos, has explained this concept much better than I can. Sorry I don't have a link, but I'm mobileposting.) For some people, nothing satisfies quite like the feeling of indignation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SatansOnion posted:

The care and cultivation of seething resentment is a time- and energy-consuming habit. It's arguably also a habit in the sense that umbrage and outrage can become almost a psychological addiction. (The Slacktivist, who writes over at Patheos, has explained this concept much better than I can. Sorry I don't have a link, but I'm mobileposting.) For some people, nothing satisfies quite like the feeling of indignation.

I think they know this, they just classify it as "outrage culture" and get outraged at people who have the gall to get outraged at injustice.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think they know this, they just classify it as "outrage culture" and get outraged at people who have the gall to get outraged at injustice.

They don't see THEMSELVES as being outraged though, they see themselves as this shmorky comic:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Thus the "rage threads" on 4chan. This sort of behavior is common in NRx, getting unbelievably angry over people who are intolerant of bigotry.

LW is no different, Scott's endless rants over SJ culture and leftism are mostly over people criticising him, or grey tribe people like him. Which is obviously why his natural ingroup consists of dumb internet racists, but whatever.

But it's all justified because they're on the side of the truly good people and the working class (which is to say exclusively white people) like what Clark said in that tweet, or what Moldbug's entire thesis is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Thus the "rage threads" on 4chan. This sort of behavior is common in NRx, getting unbelievably angry over people who are intolerant of bigotry.

LW is no different, Scott's endless rants over SJ culture and leftism are mostly over people criticising him, or grey tribe people like him. Which is obviously why his natural ingroup consists of dumb internet racists, but whatever.

But it's all justified because they're on the side of the truly good people and the working class (which is to say exclusively white people) like what Clark said in that tweet, or what Moldbug's entire thesis is.

And yes, it's a common practice on the twitter circles to post someone expressing an extremely mild feminist sentiment and act like they just eviscerated a puppy.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

And yes, it's a common practice on the twitter circles to post someone expressing an extremely mild feminist sentiment and act like they just eviscerated a puppy.

"You think that FEEEEMALES should be treated like people?!?! I have hundreds, maybe THOUSANDS, of blog posts about :biotruths: that refute this idea"

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

My favorite was when Wesley shat his pants over Moldbug being kicked out of that tech event and dug up some guy on twitter who had little to do with what happened and got especially upset over a black lives matter thing the guy went to and had a picture of.

It gets pretty ludicrous when you have NRx twitter retweeting people voicing mild criticism of Trump and getting so upset as if said criticism were concentrated Stalin.

Clark is no exception, but obviously has nothing to do with neoreaction.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
An example of this phenomena in the following tweets

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/634974154236653568

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/634974416250793984

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/634977295870984192

First they came for the flyers, and I did nothing, for I was not a piece of paper on a billboard.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Merdifex posted:

This is really an area where there are important differences within the ultraright. Moldbug and, say, Land are racist in the sense of thinking that some races are superior to others, but their loyalties aren't to "whites" as such and certainly not to the white working class. The parts of the alt-right with IRL potential (Trump most flamboyantly, but also of course more established nativist parties in Europe) are necessarily centered around white working classes as a mass base, the very idea of which "NRx" more properly is aghast at.

(All of this has happened before and will happen again, of course: it's probably the main way in which proto-fascist intellectuals differed from the mass movements that took their ideas into something actionable.)

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Oligopsony posted:

This is really an area where there are important differences within the ultraright. Moldbug and, say, Land are racist in the sense of thinking that some races are superior to others, but their loyalties aren't to "whites" as such and certainly not to the white working class. The parts of the alt-right with IRL potential (Trump most flamboyantly, but also of course more established nativist parties in Europe) are necessarily centered around white working classes as a mass base, the very idea of which "NRx" more properly is aghast at.

(All of this has happened before and will happen again, of course: it's probably the main way in which proto-fascist intellectuals differed from the mass movements that took their ideas into something actionable.)

These "important differences" are really trivial. All these alt-right people are very racist, and definitely white supremacists, yet at the same time their biggest enemies are also mostly white. And these white enemies are those who oppose their racism and other aspects of these far-right ideologies. And these are not even leftist whites, necessarily, what with the whole "cuckservative" thing and what not.

It's help to consider Moldbug's caste system. All the good castes he posits are obviously white, the racial minorities are the Dalits, and his enemies are the Brahmins. So no, I wouldn't agree that NRx is aghast at the idea, indeed, I can only count Land as someone who just might think that.

And then there's the idea that racism doesn't real and the real oppression is against white men being put down by commie progs who want to purge them by criticising them on the internet and stifling their freedom of speech.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Merdifex posted:

It's help to consider Moldbug's caste system. All the good castes he posits are obviously white, the racial minorities are the Dalits, and his enemies are the Brahmins. So no, I wouldn't agree that NRx is aghast at the idea, indeed, I can only count Land as someone who just might think that.

Can reactos talk about anything without making a terrible analogy to or metaphor of something they don't understand?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Woolie Wool posted:

Can reactos talk about anything without making a terrible analogy to or metaphor of something they don't understand?
Probably not.

I believe the most you can say for Moldbug et al.'s racism is that to a certain extent they acknowledge that (wealthy, well educated) Asians as well as the perfidious yet test-talented Jew can apparently match the palest of honkies in the all-sacred, precious, holy IQ score.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

I think Moldbug's arguments mainly consist of stupid metaphors and historical references that don't prove what he thinks they prove.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

Probably not.

I believe the most you can say for Moldbug et al.'s racism is that to a certain extent they acknowledge that (wealthy, well educated) Asians as well as the perfidious yet test-talented Jew can apparently match the palest of honkies in the all-sacred, precious, holy IQ score.

But you see, according to reactionary theory, they used WIS as their dump stat to pump their INT, so they lack creativity and initiative and thus white people are better anyway. No matter what happens you must manipulate the data and the interpretation to make sure white people come out on top.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

But you see, according to reactionary theory, they used WIS as their dump stat to pump their INT, so they lack creativity and initiative and thus white people are better anyway. No matter what happens you must manipulate the data and the interpretation to make sure white people come out on top.
I thought that was the usual argument back in the day. "Yes, the Jew and the China-man may edge us out slightly in one field, but they lack real zest, gumption, etc. Let us make sure they look at the whole student character, so our fair halls of Harvard and Yale are not infested with nerds."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And don't forget it's a specific brand of Asian, not those Vietnamese, Philipino or Laotians.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Nessus posted:

I thought that was the usual argument back in the day. "Yes, the Jew and the China-man may edge us out slightly in one field, but they lack real zest, gumption, etc. Let us make sure they look at the whole student character, so our fair halls of Harvard and Yale are not infested with nerds."

According to some sources I've found, this is apparently literally how college admissions essays happened.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Does this mean Yale and Harvard are literally implementing Dark Enlightenment admissions policies?

Also, are there any legitimate/not-internet-based "Dark Enlightenment" writers or thinkers?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Maoist Pussy posted:

Does this mean Yale and Harvard are literally implementing Dark Enlightenment admissions policies?

Also, are there any legitimate/not-internet-based "Dark Enlightenment" writers or thinkers?

Depends on what you mean by "legitimate"

Hans-Hermann Hoppe, the usual fascist subjects like Evola, Charles Murray, other such assholes exist outside of the internet, though, of course, calling them part of "The Dark Enlightenment" is a backwards classification.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

Harvard and Yale and so on did it long ago in order to avoid having student bodies that were entirely made up of Jews and a few rich legacies. (As that article candidly says, this would have probably driven off the rich legacies, likely leading to the collapse of the school. Nowadays their endowments may be large enough that they could survive such a thing, of course.)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

It hasn't changed.

Maoist Pussy posted:

No, the Dark Enlightenment are just glomming onto moldy old racist policies from a hundred years ago, standard nerd fascist procedure.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Nov 3, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You could make a case that the Ivy League, for instance, are actually meant to be a kind of incubator for the next generation of American elites, with some space for foreign potentates, aspiring experts from the lower orders, and so on in order to spice up the mix and increase the college's renown. The problem here being, of course, that when you put it like that the question starts being "Wow, why are we putting up with that?"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

You could make a case that the Ivy League, for instance, are actually meant to be a kind of incubator for the next generation of American elites, with some space for foreign potentates, aspiring experts from the lower orders, and so on in order to spice up the mix and increase the college's renown. The problem here being, of course, that when you put it like that the question starts being "Wow, why are we putting up with that?"

Uh, excuse me, but America is a classless society. :colbert:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Depends on what you mean by "legitimate"

Hans-Hermann Hoppe, the usual fascist subjects like Evola, Charles Murray, other such assholes exist outside of the internet, though, of course, calling them part of "The Dark Enlightenment" is a backwards classification.

Charles Murray can blow himself. He's the kind of 'sociologist' that makes other sociologists look like morons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

I've seen people like this who assume that asian countries don't have any sort of modern art our output besides things like anime and k-pop (because that's the only bits that ever bleed over into american pop culture) and so they must all be robots.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Charles Murray can blow himself. He's the kind of 'sociologist' that makes other sociologists look like morons.

He's the one who did all the bell curve nonsense isn't he?

Also could anyone give me links to a really angry take down of Murray and Hans. Because I really think I deserve to read more about these thoroughly contemptible individuals.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's this, in the form of a fictional interview which quotes Hans-Hermann Hoppe extensively and shows how insane and dystopian his ideal society is.

Edit: It's a six-part thing, the last one links to the others.

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Nov 3, 2015

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Also could anyone give me links to a really angry take down of Murray and Hans. Because I really think I deserve to read more about these thoroughly contemptible individuals.

He is indeed the one that did all that bell-curve nonsense as well as other nonsense such as:
- "Upper class people are just genetically superior"
- "The upper classes should dictate social scripts for the lower classes"
- Libertarian 'Social Science'

Here's a primer on this moronic 'policy expert', but if you want to read more criticism of this dick head look up Joan Walsh's stuff
- Charles Murray Does it Again
- My Debate with Charles Murray
- The Stunning Dishonesty of Charles Murray

Paul Krugman (whom I don't agree with that much either) also hates his 'work'

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

There's this, in the form of a fictional interview which quotes Hans-Hermann Hoppe extensively and shows how insane and dystopian his ideal society is.

Edit: It's a six-part thing, the last one links to the others.

Holy poo poo this made me irrationally angry

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A take on Murray that's a bit less foamy at the mouth (and also a lot more competent) are the responses by Andrew Gelman.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

A take on Murray that's a bit less foamy at the mouth (and also a lot more competent) are the responses by Andrew Gelman.

I did not know about these before, but I googled the dude you were talking about... and I've seen this guy at my uni before. He was giving a guest lecture on the analysis of crime statistics, and some poo poo that was way over my head.

Small world I guess

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould, while not specifically written in response to The Bell Curve, still explains in detail a whole lot of the intellectual laziness and/or dishonesty at the heart of "scientific racism". I really ought to read it again, come to think of it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SatansOnion posted:

The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould, while not specifically written in response to The Bell Curve, still explains in detail a whole lot of the intellectual laziness and/or dishonesty at the heart of "scientific racism". I really ought to read it again, come to think of it.
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001071

(PLoS lists Scott under media coverage ... Also, for non-biologists: PLoS Biology is one of the top and most-respected scientific journals.)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

There is no way to elaborate or improve upon this display of monumental hubristic douchebaggery. I merely emptyquote it in admiration of its perfection.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Cingulate posted:

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001071

(PLoS lists Scott under media coverage ... Also, for non-biologists: PLoS Biology is one of the top and most-respected scientific journals.)

It's a common tactic by HBDtards to point to one mistake Gould made with Morton's skulls and use that dismiss his entire corpus of academic work.

And I won't say PLoS is in any way a top and most-respected scientific [journal]" because its open source nature means that they end up uploading any number of poo poo articles with a weaker peer-review process than other journals. The only advantage there being the open source, so that's pretty much the only reason academics sing its praises.

If you want some good sources to show that mainstream academia doesn't accept the hereditist viewpoint of racial / individual differences in intelligence, there's

http://people.virginia.edu/~ent3c/papers2/nisbett2012int.pdf

and

http://people.virginia.edu/~ent3c/papers2/Articles%20for%20Online%20CV/Nisbett%20(2012)%20Group.pdf

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Amazing thing about Murray is that he vehemently opposes Trump to the ire of his followers.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

There is no way to elaborate or improve upon this display of monumental hubristic douchebaggery. I merely emptyquote it in admiration of its perfection.

He also apparently knows how to fix the education system in the U.S. All of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Charles Murray's stupid book cover posted:

Four simple truths for bringing American schools back to reality
"Teachers unions HATE them!" :laugh: