Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see more bright and sunny maps like Wheat and Chaff. Not every apocalypse has to be gloomy. :sun:

Obviously the characters are probably moving around under the cover of darkness for a bunch of reasons. Wheat and Chaff is just prettier. That is the only nice thing I have to say about that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Guys, I did it. Hard Mode Wheat & Chaff. With pubbies! It was nuts, took two tries and the only way we could handle it all was to trap the Rogre in the wagon. Which is sad that it takes -that- to make things just tolerable enough to really enjoy the map.

The Stormvermin are tolerable if the Rogre isn't in the picture.

Been there done that. We split up into two groups and had one person distract the ogre (it ended up being me).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Three blue sword and shields for the guard. One two handed hammer. One two handed flamberge. I told myself I was fine with any of them but I wanted that legendary guard gear.

1.5% heroic killing blow on a 2 handed hammer? Only activates on charged attacks? There isn't a heroic killing blow on a regular attack instead of a charge, is there?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Aaagh! Three tomes and two loot dice and we die right before getting onto the elevator. It's ALWAYS the dwarf that runs off and dies...

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Krinkle posted:

Three blue sword and shields for the guard. One two handed hammer. One two handed flamberge. I told myself I was fine with any of them but I wanted that legendary guard gear.

1.5% heroic killing blow on a 2 handed hammer? Only activates on charged attacks? There isn't a heroic killing blow on a regular attack instead of a charge, is there?

nope, but you don't really want to spam regular attacks with a 2 hander, you want to be spinning around with those charged attacks, clobbering a lot at once and dishing out big damage (plus the chance to slay) to the rat ogres

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Krinkle posted:

heroic KB is charged only, but can kill anything (including rat ogres). there's a regular kb that works on regular attacks but it can't kill rat ogres.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Aaagh! Three tomes and two loot dice and we die right before getting onto the elevator. It's ALWAYS the dwarf that runs off and dies...

don't worry, you still would've gotten a white

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

President Ark posted:

there's a regular kb that works on regular attacks but it can't kill rat ogres.

It's kind of funny when you're scratching a stormvermin's armor with a rapier and its head suddenly pops off because of that trait.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Antoine Silvere posted:

don't worry, you still would've gotten a white

I've rolled all blanks three times in a row so yeah you're probably right. :smith:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I think something has changed to spawn rates. I did a solo hard smugglers run, and had a rogre spawn during the 1st gate, along with stormvermin and multiple gattling rats. I've never had a rogre spawn during the door events, even going back to the private betas.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm real bad at this game. Fortunately my friends are able to tolerate me.

I really like the WH but I can't make him work. The rapier doesn't seem to cover as much ground as the other swords horizontally and while I can take down Stormvermin no problem I find I have no good answer for just hoards of regular clanrates and slaves. The pistols rule but I'm not sure the best way to spend my limited ammo. Specials? Hoards? Also it doesn't help that despite having gotten three greens and blue all of it has been for the elf : (

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mendrian posted:

I'm real bad at this game. Fortunately my friends are able to tolerate me.

I really like the WH but I can't make him work. The rapier doesn't seem to cover as much ground as the other swords horizontally and while I can take down Stormvermin no problem I find I have no good answer for just hoards of regular clanrates and slaves. The pistols rule but I'm not sure the best way to spend my limited ammo. Specials? Hoards? Also it doesn't help that despite having gotten three greens and blue all of it has been for the elf : (

When fighting hordes you really need to stay mobile and block, push and dodge to keep some space between you and the rats. It requires a bit of timing and finding a good rhythm depending on what weapon you are using but basically just keep at it and if it gets really hectic don't be afraid to use bombs!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is it just me or does the Witch Hunter's axe block slower then the rapier?

Also my friend tells me the WH's "Best in Slots" are crossbows and a 2-handed sword; but personal preference still matters obviously.

Are there just examples of weapon types for classes that are just better then other options?

Martout posted:

When fighting hordes you really need to stay mobile and block, push and dodge to keep some space between you and the rats. It requires a bit of timing and finding a good rhythm depending on what weapon you are using but basically just keep at it and if it gets really hectic don't be afraid to use bombs!

I've found crouching with the pistols makes them a bit more accurate and Blues will one hit chaff-rats on Hard. The issue for me is while I love them, and they are great DPS vs Stormvermin and Ogres they get really erratic with accuracy and sometimes even miss at point blank when it looks like they should hit. They are great for cutting through hordes though, getting chance to penetrate additional targets on a set would be cool but I'm not sure how good they really are.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 3, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The easiest example is the soldiers handgun. It is head and shoulders above his other options. The elf is the same way the hag bow and the swift bow are garbage.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I've run into that erratic hit detection before, even on my pair with 40% better accuracy. I despise the crossbow though, so I can overlook the occasional frustration/bug with them. Rips ogres/vermin/hordes apart.

Axe will decap like crazy, even on cata. Boils down to personal preference between it and rapier for best-in-slot, imo. Some people like the backup pistol and faster dps that rapier brings. I'm using a rapier only because I don't have an orange axe yet.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Is it just me or does the Witch Hunter's axe block slower then the rapier?

Also my friend tells me the WH's "Best in Slots" are crossbows and a 2-handed sword; but personal preference still matters obviously.

Are there just examples of weapon types for classes that are just better then other options?

Your friend is wrong. A good set of pistols is better than any crossbow for most situations. Rapier is also fantastic, 1h axe isn't bad either.

Really, the only truly bad weapons in the game are the repeater pistol and both types of swift bows.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Gridlocked posted:

Nonsense. At this point you might as well just play Dwarf or even Soldier. While the crossbow is good (I alternate between it and pistols depending on the mission), it's pointless to play the character if you're not going to use the rapier. It's probably the most versatile weapon in the game and allows you to stunlock a circle of rats, poke a stormvermin's eye out or even take out something at range if you crouch or stop moving before a shot. The pistols are actually really good once you know the layout of the maps and know when to expect ammo crates. Not to mention if you drink a strength potion and open fire, the DPS is insane.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So what's up win the dwarf hammer and shield? It says it isn't armor piercing with normal attacks but you'll kill a stormvermin faster with the head taps then with the "armor penetrating" sheild smash.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Really, the only truly bad weapons in the game are the repeater pistol and both types of swift bows.

I don't blame you but you clearly forgot the blunderbus exists. I'm afraid I have to remind you that it in fact is a weapon in this game.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

randombattle posted:

So what's up win the dwarf hammer and shield? It says it isn't armor piercing with normal attacks but you'll kill a stormvermin faster with the head taps then with the "armor penetrating" sheild smash.

Shield bashes do low damage and are meant to keep a large group of rats at bay while still doing some damage and not taking stamina. If you get the timing down you're basically invincible and can easily take on entire hordes by yourself.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

randombattle posted:

Because the head taps are fast and stormvermin aren't armored on their head.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kryopsis posted:

Nonsense. At this point you might as well just play Dwarf or even Soldier. While the crossbow is good (I alternate between it and pistols depending on the mission), it's pointless to play the character if you're not going to use the rapier. It's probably the most versatile weapon in the game and allows you to stunlock a circle of rats, poke a stormvermin's eye out or even take out something at range if you crouch or stop moving before a shot. The pistols are actually really good once you know the layout of the maps and know when to expect ammo crates. Not to mention if you drink a strength potion and open fire, the DPS is insane.

Glad to hear it cause I love the Rapiers. Sadly I only have a green one at the moment so I am having to use a blue Axe and it seems slugish compared to my swishy-sword.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gridlocked posted:

Glad to hear it cause I love the Rapiers. Sadly I only have a green one at the moment so I am having to use a blue Axe and it seems slugish compared to my swishy-sword.

The axe is also tricky but solid. It'll waste Stormvermin and put a dent in the rogre and that can't be discounted, but it takes practice to deal with hordes with it.

Rapier is top poo poo, though. Love that thing so.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The pistol brace is completely insane in the membrane due to the fact you can fire it 48 times without having to reload. You can wipe hordes with it and also do lots of damage to specials due to its insane fire rate.

However, you shouldn't really prioritise special killing as WH or Elf imo, as the handgun is much more effective at killing any kind of special. I think as these two classes you should use ranged to murder rats that are sneaking up on your comrade's backs. With rapier you don't even have to switch to ranged to do this.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I find the elf is best at getting hook rats with the longbow because of the piercing shots and faster fire rate. Hook rats are squirrelly little fuckers and missing or a group of rats in front of it don't pose much of an issue unlike the handgun at times.

Lunch! Finally! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 3, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The beam staff is actually really great at hookrat killing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The beam staff beam is great for killing all specials (not Ogre) as long as you can afford a couple seconds to focus them down. Just fire the beam, put it on their head and stunlock them into oblivion.

I find it especially good for sweeping around trying to tag a skittering Gutter Runner.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

But Not Tonight posted:

nope, but you don't really want to spam regular attacks with a 2 hander, you want to be spinning around with those charged attacks, clobbering a lot at once and dishing out big damage (plus the chance to slay) to the rat ogres
Actually specifically for the 2-handed hammer you want to use regular attacks on Rat Ogres and Stormvermin if they're alone because the regular attack does more damage per hit and you hit faster with it, in exchange for basically being single-target compared to the charged attack's big sweep.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Witch Hunter is absolutely great as a flank watcher that just pays attention to people to try and pick rats off their flanks and get stuck into where rats are spilling through, and that sort of thing is really good for keeping damage low over a run.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I have two friends who play this game with me: One who likes it but is unbelievably awful at it, and the other who has now decided he hates it basically because he is all about FPS gameplay.... in that he wants to be shooting guns literally all of the time, which really doesn't work here. It is a sad day when pubbies are superior to friends.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

What is that hideous, god-awful rapid firing *THUMPTHUMPTHUMP* sound?

Oh. Carry on then, we don't disturb you gentlerats.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ulvirich posted:

Bloody Doormice.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

The soldier's blunderbuss is total trash also. Which is sad because the grudge-raker, which is basically the dwarf equivalent, is so loving good that since I got an orange one with scavenger I have not actually used the dwarf's melee weapon at all.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it
Whack-a-moling Stormvermin with a two-handed Warhammer as the Dwarf will never, ever get old.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Is there a visual cue for when a weapon procs ammo restoration? I'm familiar with the heal procs but none of the others except maybe the split projectile ability.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Syrant posted:

Is there a visual cue for when a weapon procs ammo restoration? I'm familiar with the heal procs but none of the others except maybe the split projectile ability.

There is, it's your ammo amount going up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Archonic posted:

Whack-a-moling Stormvermin with a two-handed Warhammer as the Dwarf will never, ever get old.

How do I be the best two handed warhammer dwarf I can be? I was doing hard wheat and chaff just now and I see the stormvermin I have to kill but all the clan rats are poking my kidneys so I can't be useful. I can't charge up either sometimes. Do I need dedicated rapier swingers to keep me clear?

Syrant posted:

There's a heal proc sound? What is this sound?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

How do I be the best two handed warhammer dwarf I can be? I was doing hard wheat and chaff just now and I see the stormvermin I have to kill but all the clan rats are poking my kidneys so I can't be useful. I can't charge up either sometimes. Do I need dedicated rapier swingers to keep me clear?

Two handed weapons are really hard to use if you don't have anyone to cover your back. If nobody is clearing the clanrats behind you while you deal with the stormvermin you're always going to have a bad time.

As far as I know there isn't a sound for the heal proccing just the white glow/butterflies effect, which if you proc it too much can totally obscure your vision.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Krinkle posted:

Your weapons should compliment one and other, if you're using a heavy warhammer your gun should ideally be something to polish off a lot of clanrats like the drake pistols or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

I bet some pubie would still try to open that door and be surprised when they die 0.01 sec later.

• Locked thread