Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dick Trauma posted:

What does Outlook do that the default mail app doesn't? I haven't felt like I've been missing out on anything.

It's good for allowing a 3rd party and anyone who hacks them to have access to your email since Acompli and now Microsoft stores your credentials and info on their own servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One of the places I work for insists on using Outlook and it sucks balls in 2015. Gimme gmail you hacks.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
lol if you don't forward all your mail to your gmail account and use send mail as in gmail.

also lol if you work in such a surveillance society that you are not allowed to forward your mail to gmail. the panopticon is real.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LOL if you have a job where you need immediate access to your work email 24/7.

Do they make you wear branded shackles, too, just so you know who owns you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol if you forward everything to google so they can index everything about your life just so they can target ads a little bit better

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Endless Mike posted:

LOL if you have a job where you need immediate access to your work email 24/7.

Do they make you wear branded shackles, too, just so you know who owns you?

Yeah I'll just go out and grab a job from the job tree, a magical white-collar job where I don't have to do work outside of business hours. (I actually would love to find one.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I still use my hotmail account and force all my contacts to use ICQ.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I like having my work and Gmail accounts in one inbox. I would love to use default but push doesn't work anymore, and the gmail app doesn't do unified inbox.

Outlook works pretty well.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'm thinking I'll need a separate app for this:

Is there a way for me to set my geofenced reminders to never go away? The default Reminders app works great, but I have to dismiss the notification every time (which takes a few clicks if I'm on the home screen), and if I complete it by accident, I have to manually go in and un-complete it (which, in some cases, I've forgotten to do for days at a time). I just don't want the "completed" feature for the location reminders.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Hm; new Outlook update at least uses the System font for everything save messages that had a different font specified (unfortunately, this means messages composed in desktop Outlook still tend to come through in Times New Roman). Still, overall, looks a lot nicer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

It's good but one thing I don't like is that you can't accept or decline a meeting without sending a response, even for invitations that don't require one.

Yes, this does drive me nuts. But overall it's really good. I also use Fantastical on my Mac as well.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fordan posted:

It's good for allowing a 3rd party and anyone who hacks them to have access to your email since Acompli and now Microsoft stores your credentials and info on their own servers.

It doesn't actually do this anymore.

Outlook is afaik the only client that doesn't respect gmail's fetch duration and for that it's pretty great. It's almost as good as push.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Croc Monster posted:

Just got both (dark sky, hi-def radar), gonna pit them against each other tomorrow in the WEATHERDOME: two apps enter! One app leaves!

Dark sky wins! Of course we had sunny 70 degree weather today, NYC be all cray cray lately with the weather. I'm actually looking forward to some rain to see how well it works.

Thanks thread!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone got any thoughts about why my wife can't download Dark Sky without paying for it? I have it and paid for and we have homesharing or whatever. She can see all the other apps I downloaded but Dark Sky is not in the list. She has to see it in the normal App Store app and it says 3.99

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know if this has been mentioned (if it has I missed it), but it looks like major iOS update is imminent for the AppleTV (or hardware update or both). I just updated Alto's Adventure on my iPhone the release notes had this (it's also on the iTunes page now):

quote:

**This update contains important changes to iCloud to ensure your progress can be synced to Alto's Adventure for Apple TV**

EDIT: NVM. Old news is old. New appleTV was released earlier in the week and it no longer used iOS (per Apple store) it now runs tvOS.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 30, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

One of the places I work for insists on using Outlook and it sucks balls in 2015. Gimme gmail you hacks.

My school email uses Outlook; I just use the default Mail.app, unless that wouldn't work out for you.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I'm using a 5th Gen iPod Touch iOS 9 in a Batman Gauntlet for my Halloween costume this year. I've got a video of a screensaver to simulate the computer he's got on his wrist.

Are there any video playing apps that can loop the video and keep the screen in landscape?

I've found some workarounds with stock iOS: use iTunes to mark the video as a music video, then I get a loop option, but sometimes the screen flashes white between looping which is annoying. For locking to Landscape there's an option in Assistive Touch that does that but leaves the Assistive button there all the time and is an annoying workaround.

I've even jailbroken it, but the Cydia apps/tweaks that promise to do these things aren't working, maybe they don't support iPods...no idea.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bird Law posted:

I'm using a 5th Gen iPod Touch iOS 9 in a Batman Gauntlet for my Halloween costume this year. I've got a video of a screensaver to simulate the computer he's got on his wrist.

Are there any video playing apps that can loop the video and keep the screen in landscape?

I've found some workarounds with stock iOS: use iTunes to mark the video as a music video, then I get a loop option, but sometimes the screen flashes white between looping which is annoying. For locking to Landscape there's an option in Assistive Touch that does that but leaves the Assistive button there all the time and is an annoying workaround.

I've even jailbroken it, but the Cydia apps/tweaks that promise to do these things aren't working, maybe they don't support iPods...no idea.
The iPad version of VLC has both video looping and landscape lock options - I would assume the iPhone version has the same. I think the screen might flash black for a split second before looping again, though - but that's less annoying than flashing white at least.

edit: Also you should totally upload a picture here of how it looks in the costume, I love seeing old iPhones/iPods re-purposed for cool costume things.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 30, 2015

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Feenix posted:

Anyone got any thoughts about why my wife can't download Dark Sky without paying for it? I have it and paid for and we have homesharing or whatever. She can see all the other apps I downloaded but Dark Sky is not in the list. She has to see it in the normal App Store app and it says 3.99

I bought Dark Sky some years ago and my husband can see it fine in the family sharing thing...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

It doesn't actually do this anymore.

Outlook is afaik the only client that doesn't respect gmail's fetch duration and for that it's pretty great. It's almost as good as push.

https://www.acompli.com/security/ seems to say their servers are still in the middle of any transactions.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fordan posted:

https://www.acompli.com/security/ seems to say their servers are still in the middle of any transactions.

well poo poo, i thought they did away with that

ugh

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Does Picky have shuffling by albums? (that is, play an entire album, then randomly select a different album and repeat) This would pretty much make or break it for me and I'm cheap enough that I don't want to spend $3 to find out.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 1, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

fordan posted:

Here's a block of words from the last time people freaked out about this:

Passwords and security

Outlook uses Oauth for the accounts that support it (Outlook.com, OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, Gmail). For those not familiar, this provides us a way to access those cloud services without ever touching your password. For accounts that don’t support Oauth (Exchange ActiveSync, Yahoo, iCloud), we handle this differently.

When a user logs into Exchange and Office 365, we encrypt their password with a unique key that is specific to that user’s device and stored securely on it. The encrypted password is then passed along to Outlook’s cloud service and used to connect the accounts. The device must check in with the cloud service periodically in order to maintain continuous delivery of new messages and updates from Exchange or Office 365. If there is a period of prolonged device inactivity, Outlook’s cloud service will flush the password and lose access until the next device sync.

This architecture means that in order to gain access to your password, you would have to have access to both our cloud service and have physical access to the unlocked device. This applies to both us as well as anyone who would attempt to gain access from the outside.

As we continue to innovate on both our app and our service we will leverage alternative mechanisms such as OAuth as soon as they are available.

Data storage

As mentioned above, we store a subset of email, calendar information and files in a cloud service to facilitate fast, secure delivery down to the device. Because the app is based on Microsoft's recent acquisition of Acompli, today that cloud service runs on Amazon Web Services. We are making great progress in moving to Azure and integrating with the full Office 365 cloud fabric. We plan to have that move completed later this year, which will enable it to be covered by the Office 365 Trust Center.

The information in Outlook cloud service is currently stored in the United States. As we move from our current platform to Azure, we will align to the principles of the Office 365 Trust Center with a regionalized data center strategy. In Office 365 a customer’s country or region, which the customer’s administrator inputs during the initial setup of the services, determines the primary storage location for that customer’s data.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

In the apple news app is there a way to stop articles from a specific publication from showing up? I can only see a way to add a publication / topic and I'd like to tell it to stop showing me shite from the Daily Mail completely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Helith posted:

In the apple news app is there a way to stop articles from a specific publication from showing up? I can only see a way to add a publication / topic and I'd like to tell it to stop showing me shite from the Daily Mail completely.

If you go to "Favorites" and hit "Edit" in the upper right, the sources will have "X" on them to remove. I just tested it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

flosofl posted:

If you go to "Favorites" and hit "Edit" in the upper right, the sources will have "X" on them to remove. I just tested it.

I think what Helith is saying is that they didn't add Daily Mail to their favorites list but it's showing up anyway? I might be wrong.

Either way, is there any way to block certain topics from showing up? I have absolutely zero interest in sports and yet I keep getting baseball poo poo for some reason.

Unrelated question: For some reason, handoffs has recently stopped working for me. Any idea how to troubleshoot this? It was really great up until maybe yesterday and then out of the blue just stopped.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

When a user logs into Exchange and Office 365, we encrypt their password with a unique key that is specific to that user’s device and stored securely on it. The encrypted password is then passed along to Outlook’s cloud service and used to connect the accounts. The device must check in with the cloud service periodically in order to maintain continuous delivery of new messages and updates from Exchange or Office 365. If there is a period of prolonged device inactivity, Outlook’s cloud service will flush the password and lose access until the next device sync.

This architecture means that in order to gain access to your password, you would have to have access to both our cloud service and have physical access to the unlocked device. This applies to both us as well as anyone who would attempt to gain access from the outside.

The second paragraph seems to minimize the issue more than is warranted; based on the previous paragraph an attacker would only need to compromise MS/Acompli's servers when you're using or have recently used the service to potentially compromise your email account. So if you don't actually use the service much you're safe, and if you do use the service the risk depends on how much you use it and how quickly MS/Acompli notices when they're compromised.

I'm not saying it's a terrible thing; I'd probably use it for my personal email since that's already handled by a 3rd party. I just don't think MS/Acompli points out the risks clearly and people generally think it works just like the main Mail app when there's a lot of stuff happening in the middle.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

dik-dik posted:

I think what Helith is saying is that they didn't add Daily Mail to their favorites list but it's showing up anyway? I might be wrong.

Either way, is there any way to block certain topics from showing up? I have absolutely zero interest in sports and yet I keep getting baseball poo poo for some reason.

Yeah, that's right.
It's a newspaper I despise and the news app algorithm is throwing up a few articles from it because it is one of the available publications in Australia even though it's not favourited.
I'd like to know if there's a way to remove it from the app, a way to say 'never show me articles from this again'.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whatsapp just got quick reply from notifications. Hopefully Facebook messenger follows suit

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I can't think of one reason why someone with an iPhone would use WhatsApp

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

Long distance texting with people in other countries who don't have an iPhone and already use WhatsApp instead of FB Messenger or whatever. There, a reason.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
that's not a reason. that's an exucse for poverty

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's generally used by people with friends

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never used WhatsApp and oddly enough I have no problem communicating with my friends.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

that's not a reason. that's an exucse for poverty

I agree.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Edit, do I really care how people text? Not really

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 3, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whatsapp just got quick reply from notifications. Hopefully Facebook messenger follows suit

It already has.

Although QuickReply from the lock screen for Messenger, at least, is kinda buggy. :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Really?! All I can do is select mute or the 👍 button

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

noirstronaut posted:

Whatsapp is the de facto standard app for messaging in most European countries. So unless you only have friends with iPhones you use Whatsapp. There are lots of mobile plans without unlimited texts so why throw money at your carrier if you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently Quick Reply only works with your passcode turned off?!??

What the hell kinda poo poo is that. Who doesn't use a passcode.