Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

At this point I'm pretty sure the emissions scandal is going to spread to gas engines, gas boats, generators, furnaces, and somehow coffee mugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pryor on Fire posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure the emissions scandal is going to spread to gas engines, gas boats, generators, furnaces, and somehow coffee mugs.

There are some Porsche design tobacco pipes. With all this hubbub I'm almost certain they aren't EPA legal either.

Honestly though, good going VAG :bravo:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'd like to think that this entire thing was an intentional plan by eco-conscious employees within VAG who wanted to hasten the end of diesel consumer vehicles.

Otherwise gently caress, not even GM management is this dysfunctionally retarded.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

I'd like to think that this entire thing was an intentional plan by eco-conscious employees within VAG who wanted to hasten the end of diesel consumer vehicles.

Strictly as a rumour only, what I heard was that the guys that blew open the scandal had not just the respective Hewlett / Packard Foundation money, they also had some Tesla money to do it as cheating on emissions testing is a "done" thing in the industry in general - Tesla have been dicked around by some of the other car makers with dealership laws specifically designed to stop their sales model, they decided to get even and did some steering of the research as well. Also doesnt hurt that the only manufacturer who cant possibly be hit by the scandal is Tesla.

You might also notice the "quality" issues Tesla have has become somewhat more spoken about out loud in the industry after said scandal was blown open.

Whatever the truth is, it's pretty certain someone in the know steered the research and pinpointed the cars to test first.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

"Wait, you mean we were supposed to be looking at the 3.0 too? I thought we were just investigating our 2.0 engines. Silly us!"

-VW

No you don't understand - there was no cheating going on with the 3l it was just "a software function which had not been adequately described in the application process

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Whatever the truth is, it's pretty certain someone in the know steered the research and pinpointed the cars to test first.

It's pretty clear VW is sailing close to the wind with more than just emissions numbers anyway - just look at the stated fuel economy (especially of their smaller models) vs everyon elses

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You have to hand it to the germans though, when they gently caress up, they gently caress up good.

None of this 26 people killed crap. it's straight to "polar bears? oh yeah, that was us, sorry they're all dead"

Disclaimer: this post is an exaggeration in the name of humor, please do not take literally.

Hog Obituary posted:

Cool video about the GT350, just try to ignore the jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbNlkP-ZSM

Those numbers are well behind the Z/28, even if it is only the GT350 not the GT350R, but wouldn't you know it, they're bang-on the manual BMW m4 numbers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Powershift posted:

You have to hand it to the germans though, when they gently caress up, they gently caress up good.

None of this 26 people killed crap. it's straight to "polar bears? oh yeah, that was us, sorry they're all dead"

Disclaimer: this post is an exaggeration in the name of humor, please do not take literally.

Those numbers are well behind the Z/28, even if it is only the GT350 not the GT350R, but wouldn't you know it, they're bang-on the manual BMW m4 numbers.

Which was the smart benchmark since the Z/28 is a street legal race car with limited appeal and the M4 sells like crack to higher income people who are happy to drop bucks on options packages.

I don't care if the GT350 gets beat around a track by the new SS, it's still the coolest car under Viper territory.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

GokieKS posted:

Rather unsurprisingly, more VAG diesels caught with emissions testing cheating: http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/4A45A5661216E66C85257EF10061867B

Wait a minute... This whole thing started when VW was too cheap to put their AdBlue urea injection system in the 2L engines (after they failed at meeting emissions standards without it), didn't it? And the 3L diesel engines did have the AdBlue system, didn't they? And VW couldn't be bothered to make even those legal? That's just gratuitous.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Strictly as a rumour only, what I heard was that the guys that blew open the scandal had not just the respective Hewlett / Packard Foundation money, they also had some Tesla money to do it as cheating on emissions testing is a "done" thing in the industry in general - Tesla have been dicked around by some of the other car makers with dealership laws specifically designed to stop their sales model, they decided to get even and did some steering of the research as well. Also doesnt hurt that the only manufacturer who cant possibly be hit by the scandal is Tesla.

And then Elon Musk came out and claimed that this whole thing proves that we've gone as far as we can in terms of making fossil fuels less bad for the environment.

Though to be fair, it does kind of look like the law of diminishing returns has been creeping up. Plus we are pretty drat close to having a worthy successor to gasoline.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cockmaster posted:

Wait a minute... This whole thing started when VW was too cheap to put their AdBlue urea injection system in the 2L engines (after they failed at meeting emissions standards without it), didn't it? And the 3L diesel engines did have the AdBlue system, didn't they? And VW couldn't be bothered to make even those legal? That's just gratuitous.

Yes, they do have AdBlue; I was driving an A7 TDI last week and it has a filler for the urea next to the diesel. Shame they lied about these ones too. I quite liked that car, it made the drive from DC to Columbus and back effortless, and 38mpg @ 80mph is pretty good.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Which was the smart benchmark since the Z/28 is a street legal race car with limited appeal and the M4 sells like crack to higher income people who are happy to drop bucks on options packages.

I don't care if the GT350 gets beat around a track by the new SS, it's still the coolest car under Viper territory.

I honestly don't think the GT350 will sell all that amazingly, especially after the first year, if they keep it manual only. The take rate for manuals for cars that cost more than 40k is generally well below 50% and the Viper sells like complete poo poo. The only segment where manual vs auto is at about 50-50 is hot hatches and the BRZ/FR-S twins.

I'm probably the exception on this forum, but Ford not selling their performance cars with a good auto/DCT is a big reason why I never seriously considered them when I was car shopping.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DCTs are cooler than manuals but I don't think any company makes one I'd want to own outside warranty.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

DCTs are cooler than manuals but I don't think any company makes one I'd want to own outside warranty.

Depends on the DCT in question. I'd much rather have a conventional auto on something like a Golf or Focus.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Powershift posted:

Still, I like that ford tried something different, as they can't really compete with the LSx dollar for dollar, and don't really want to get into horsepower wars with chrysler; That's what ruined the big three in the past with the "supercar scare" in Australia in the 1970s.
Speaking of which, the mustang is heading down here now - probably without any competition from GM or Chrysler.
E: Are holden going to replace the commodore with anything from the US? Are chrysler going to use the opportunity of no falcons and commodores to sell something better than the 300 down here?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Friend showed me his new Tacoma. Seems like a really nice truck and really reminds me of those Toyotas they use in war zones that never break down and work for years.

So I did a bit of research and found massive complaints about frame rust and other rust issues with the Toyotas. Has that been rectified?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Kraftwerk posted:

Friend showed me his new Tacoma. Seems like a really nice truck and really reminds me of those Toyotas they use in war zones that never break down and work for years.

So I did a bit of research and found massive complaints about frame rust and other rust issues with the Toyotas. Has that been rectified?

I don't live in an area with rust, but the biggest complaint I see with the Tacoma is its about as expensive as an f150, tows less, has less power, and gets worse mpg.

The f series is fords bread and butter, so I would think they are probably the most reliable thing they make.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Colorado/Canyon exceed expected yearly sales in 10 months

Lots of good signs in that article regarding demographics, conquest numbers, etc...

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Good lookin' trucks, but so pricey

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Heard the Colorados are already showing mechanical problems though. I also can't see them holding value like a Tacoma. I can get a Tacoma for 3% over invoice so the pricing isn't too bad either. The main thing is whether or not there will be rust issues on the frame.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Heard the Colorados are already showing mechanical problems though.

Links? I know my buddies wife has had some recall stuff taken care of, but outside of that I haven't really heard much that can't realistically be attributed to "first year of a brand new model" kind of stuff.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

As I said before it's not really a new model - just a tweak if what they've been selling elsewhere for the past three years.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

fknlo posted:

Links? I know my buddies wife has had some recall stuff taken care of, but outside of that I haven't really heard much that can't realistically be attributed to "first year of a brand new model" kind of stuff.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-...s/214721?page=1

This is what I could find on short notice but I've heard reports of transmission problems as well. The Colorado is also gonna get carbon buildup on the valves because of the DI.

So if Toyota resolved the frame rust issues Id rather take the car with proven technology and slightly less power over the one that sounds like it'll be disposable within a couple years.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The new Toyota are lovely looking, but Toyota is sticking to these Wheezy engines that don't blow any minds with MPG; and at the same time they are expensive trucks. So either make them really nice to justify the price, or go cheaper to justify the lackluster specifications.

I have no idea why you'd buy a Tacoma over a F150 with the 2.7. A XL is nicely equipped, and its $34k MSRP for the 2.7 4x4 extended cab with a 6'6" bed. I bet you walk into a dealer and make 34k sticker 26k OTD pretty drat quick.

(I'm Biased, but having owned a 2008 Tacoma, a 2011 Tundra and now a 2015 F150- I'm at least biased with relevant experience...)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't get my local Ford dealer's salespeople to even look at me when I spend ten minutes on their lot/in their showroom looking at vehicles, the Toyota (and really all the Japanese brands) dealership is full of friendly people who greet me and offer me coffee the second I walk in.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Spiffness posted:

I have no idea why you'd buy a Tacoma over a F150 with the 2.7. A XL is nicely equipped, and its $34k MSRP for the 2.7 4x4 extended cab with a 6'6" bed. I bet you walk into a dealer and make 34k sticker 26k OTD pretty drat quick.

My dad bought a new Tacoma earlier this year. He chose it over anything else because it's still a manageable sized vehicle for driving/parking in the city. He mostly just uses it for home improvement DIY, yard work, dump runs, and other light hauling. Never tows anything. An F150 would be massive, massive overkill for what he uses a truck for... and it wouldn't fit on the street outside of his house.

Even the Tacoma is really a bit larger than he would prefer, but nobody makes small trucks anymore. He was replacing his 1991 Nissan D21 hardbody that developed rod knock. Even then, he was able to sell it as-is on craigslist for $750 in under 2 hours to someone who will put a new engine in it. There's a small but diehard community of small truck people out there.

He did look at the Colorado, and while it was a nice truck he was understandably leery about buying a first model year Chevy. Also the Chevy dealers he went to were absolute pieces of poo poo so he didn't give them business on principle. He also tends to buy a vehicle and drive it for 15-20 years, so the Tacoma being a little outdated but well-known and reliable was a selling point.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I drove both the Colorado and the 2016 Tacoma and I confirm Chevy dealers are absolute garbage.

From my initial impressions the Colorado Z71 definitely wins on road manners, engine smoothness and cabin noise. It's seriously a quiet ride and I liked it.

All of this was then ruined when the dealers began using aggressive closing techniques on me and forced me wait while their GM came in to beg me for the business. I was loving livid.

At Toyota the salesman immediately agreed to give me the supplier discount and told me to come back when I was ready after the test drive. The Tacoma interior was also much better appointed and I really liked it. Lastly I didn't find the engine and power compromise to be too bad and I can always stick a turbo in it if I really wanted to. Now that it has the D4-S injection system I don't have to worry about carbon build up either.

So really the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on the Tacoma is concerns over its longevity because of the rust issues. I want a truck like the Hilux that top gear blew up on a condemned building and still managed to start up after a few tweaks. I also don't need a massive truck like the F150. I need a truck for moving crates, pallets etc while still keeping some of the manageability of a traditional car.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How exactly did they 'force you' to wait if you were just in for a test drive?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That's when they hold your drivers license hostage and break out the trusty old "4 square" sheet.

Just start screaming crazy racist stuff and scaring other customers and you'll get your id back quicker. :words:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Augmented Dickey posted:

How exactly did they 'force you' to wait if you were just in for a test drive?

They held my drivers license while he got on the phone to get it back. Made me wait for some paperwork on pricing etc. When he got on the phone to call to get my id back he actually called the sales manager. There was a lot of smoke and mirrors. The sales manager kept hunching over and rubbing his hands like that Jewish caricature while talking to me in a whiny voice about the competition and the great deal I'm getting.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Doubleposting because Dodge just gave me the biggest hardon ever-

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1016939_all-wheel-drive-dodge-challenger-leads-mopar-sema-onslaught

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They had better loving build that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

They had better loving build that.

They'll make an AWD Challenger, but it'll be the 3.5L V6 and 8-speed automatic only. Because reasons.

Seriously though, if I can get AWD + 5.7L V8 + 6-speed, I'm so loving sold. I mean, I'm already planning on getting an R/T 6-speed next year hopefully, but AWD would really loving seal the deal.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

My first thought was man I bet the 0-60 is quick. My second thought was I wonder how much it weighs and what mileage it gets. I think all 3 numbers would impress me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

They'll make an AWD Challenger, but it'll be the 3.5L V6 and 8-speed automatic only. Because reasons.

Seriously though, if I can get AWD + 5.7L V8 + 6-speed, I'm so loving sold. I mean, I'm already planning on getting an R/T 6-speed next year hopefully, but AWD would really loving seal the deal.

I would buy it with the automatic, but it better have FIVE HUNNERD HORES POWAH.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davebo posted:

My first thought was man I bet the 0-60 is quick. My second thought was I wonder how much it weighs and what mileage it gets. I think all 3 numbers would impress me.

Quarter mile and combined MPG both 12?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

See, I know this is AI but the 492 really doesn't impress me. The 5.7L is as fast as my 540i and it's plenty fast - any more is just going to make me do stupid things.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The concave wheels and added on fenders would make me buy a challenger immediately it looks so fuckin ace

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CornHolio posted:

any more is just going to make me do stupid things.

Fighting that beast within is what it's all about.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Could you make do with 450? Cause that's how much they got out of the 5.7, or so says the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So the AWD system in that is the same one from the V6 300 and Charger? But they knew they couldn't use the 6.4L because it wouldn't handle the torque, which gives us a rough idea of it's breaking point. If they're confident it can handle the 5.7 then it shouldn't be much trouble to add a V8 AWD option to the Charger if not the Challenger also.