Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
i decided to start eating better recently and it turns out spinach tastes like the loving ground

i still eat it though because whoooo caaares. just eat a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I think a lot of some peoples aversion to vegetables is that all they've ever had is canned or frozen, and most canned and frozen veggies are an atrocity. If someone showed them a quick and easy way to prepare fresh veggies, they'd go hog wild on them.

For example, green beans. Buy some fresh green beans. Put a skillet on medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Let it heat till shimmering. Add a couple handfuls of green beans and toss. Toss them about once per minute, until they have little charred spots. Sprinkle with salt, serve. For extra flavor, cut the oil down to two teaspoons and add a heaping tablespoon of Lao Gan Ma (Angry Lady Sauce) at the end.

Broccoli. Buy two heads of broccoli, preferably with stalks. Snip off all the florets with scissors. Take a vegetable peeler, and peel the tough covering off the stalks. Chop the stalks up. Take the florets and chopped stalk, toss with a bit of olive oil or melted butter, sprinkle with garlic powder, lay them out on a cookie sheet. Fire up the broiler on the oven. Give them five minutes under the broiler, flip them over, give them another five minutes. Serve. This works great for fresh Brussels sprouts, too.

Spinach. Buy a bag of spinach leaves. Put a skillet on medium heat. Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Heat until the oil shimmers. Add a couple handfuls of spinach. Let it cook down for a bit, then stir, then let it cook down some more. Once it's all wilted, add a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve.

Corn. Buy some fresh corn on the cob. Take a knife, and cut off all the kernels. Take the back of the knife, and scrape off all the starchy bits left on the cob. Heat over medium in a saucepan with a bit of half and half and some Parmesan cheese. When it's hot and the cheese is melted, salt and pepper it. Serve.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The tough thing is getting people to try cooking stuff in a different way.

My food enemy: beans and pulses. Very healthy, cheap. I could save a lot of money by swapping meat for beans in some of my favourite recipes. I just don't really enjoy eating them unless they're in a great sauce (in which case I'm enjoying the sauce), and bean induced flatulence is annoying.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Re: flatulence. Beano sounds like a joke, but it really does work.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chas McGill posted:

My food enemy: beans and pulses. Very healthy, cheap. I could save a lot of money by swapping meat for beans in some of my favourite recipes. I just don't really enjoy eating them unless they're in a great sauce (in which case I'm enjoying the sauce), and bean induced flatulence is annoying.

1. Farting - wash your beans really thoroughly before cooking. Bean gas is caused by indigestible sugars on the outside of the beans which you need to wash off.
2. Use dried beans and a pressure cooking. Seriously, dried beans are so much better and cheaper but cooking them in a normal pan and soaking them for 8 goddamn hours is such a pain.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Go outside and grab a handful of grass.

Stuff it in your mouth.

You are experiencing what nearly all green vegetables taste like to me, cooked or uncooked.

What about cooked greens? A lot of the bitterness characteristic of green vegetables tends to goes away when cooked. The difference between cooked vs. uncooked celery or broccoli are like night and day.

Chas McGill posted:

I remember being fine with beans when I was a preschooler, because my mom could actually fuckin' cook, but once I reached school age and was exposed to sad beans served more or less right from the can... yeah, that was the end of that. I can generally deal with them but I have a hard time enjoying them unless they're prepared just so.

This seems to be a running trend with people who were exposed to badly prepared food growing up. People who don't like broccoli because their parents boiled it to oblivion seem to have an easier time adapting to raw or lightly cooked broccoli than fully cooked, for example.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The human body is very well-evolved for a monotonous and deficient diet, because that's how a lot of subsistence farmers lived in the past. The diet of poor Irish peasants before the potato famine consisted almost entirely of potato.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2828/could-i-survive-on-nothing-but-potatoes-and-milk

A junk food diet is practically health food in comparison, as the various garnishes and sauces would provide a variety of trace vitamins and elements, and the meat would provide plenty of protein.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

The human body is very well-evolved for a monotonous and deficient diet, because that's how a lot of subsistence farmers lived in the past. The diet of poor Irish peasants before the potato famine consisted almost entirely of potato.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2828/could-i-survive-on-nothing-but-potatoes-and-milk

A junk food diet is practically health food in comparison, as the various garnishes and sauces would provide a variety of trace vitamins and elements, and the meat would provide plenty of protein.

Human beings did not evolve from potato-eating hominids. In fact, farming is a very recent discovery in homo sapiens history.

You're also wrong about potatoes and milk being a particularly deficient diet. In a truly nutrient-deficient diet, the body suffers greatly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriberi

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Human beings did not evolve from potato-eating hominids.

um, actually he's talking about Irishmen

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You're also wrong about potatoes and milk being a particularly deficient diet.

The point being that what we might think of a deficient diet, and what actually is a deficient diet, are not quite the same. Wouldn't you worry about the diet of a family member who ate nothing but potatoes and milk most days?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

um, actually he's talking about Irishmen

I sincerely apologize, you are correct.

Due to their congregate behaviour near alcohol, as well as frightening tolerance to high concentrations, it is theorized that Irishmen are an ancient lineage of bacterium related to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid_bacteria.

Any human interaction displayed by their clade is theorized to be mimicry and coincidence.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the bean fart advice.

As a Scot, I am probably descended from people who mainly ate oats steeped in whisky so I could probably get by with the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

What about cooked greens? A lot of the bitterness characteristic of green vegetables tends to goes away when cooked. The difference between cooked vs. uncooked celery or broccoli are like night and day.

In the case of things like celery or broccoli or cabbage it goes from utterly unpalatable to merely deeply unpleasant, though I admit I can eat broccoli, I would just greatly prefer sprouts or cauliflower so I don't as a rule. In that case it's more the texture though. Celery's horrible though, stays hard as hell whatever you do with it.

Mostly if it's something you would cook I don't like it and I can't begin to imagine how you'd eat it raw. Can you actually eat raw broccoli?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Can you actually eat raw broccoli?

I wouldn't describe it as particularly edible but it's always a staple of those lovely grocery store party platters so I guess technically

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

I think a lot of some peoples aversion to vegetables is that all they've ever had is canned or frozen, and most canned and frozen veggies are an atrocity. If someone showed them a quick and easy way to prepare fresh veggies, they'd go hog wild on them.

For example, green beans. Buy some fresh green beans. Put a skillet on medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Let it heat till shimmering. Add a couple handfuls of green beans and toss. Toss them about once per minute, until they have little charred spots. Sprinkle with salt, serve. For extra flavor, cut the oil down to two teaspoons and add a heaping tablespoon of Lao Gan Ma (Angry Lady Sauce) at the end.

I grew up on canned green beans and I think fresh green beans are disgusting; I cannot stand the crunchiness/crispness.

The texture thing is my problem with most vegetables, really. Cook carrots in a soup/stew until they're soft and I'll eat them without a problem. Carrot sticks, though? Ugh. The thought of crunching into a carrot stick is enough to make me feel vaguely nauseous.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Khizan posted:

Carrot sticks, though? Ugh. The thought of crunching into a carrot stick is enough to make me feel vaguely nauseous.
Fun fact: Human fingers have the same hardness and ability to be bitten through (at the knuckle) as baby carrots. You could easily do so on yourself, but your brain prevents you from committing to that self-harm. :eng101:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

I grew up poor in a rural area so 99% of the vegetables I ate as a kid were canned, and when I first saw fresh green beans at the age of 22 it blew my mind because 1) I didn't know that was a thing and 2) that poo poo is loving great.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want to like beans because they are cheap and I want to believe they can be good, but that grainy texture....

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Soviet Commubot posted:

I grew up poor in a rural area so 99% of the vegetables I ate as a kid were canned, and when I first saw fresh green beans at the age of 22 it blew my mind because 1) I didn't know that was a thing and 2) that poo poo is loving great.

It's really weird that the area where they grow the vegetables don't see the vegetables....

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

It's really weird that the area where they grow the vegetables don't see the vegetables....
Oil in Alaska works the same way, which confused the poo poo out of people who thought our gas/heating oil prices would be super low since all the oil was right there.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Another quick veggie recipe: buy some random veggies (whole mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, onions, whatever) and a pack of wooden skewers. Chunk up the big veggies into 1" or so chunks. Thread a mix of veggies on the skewers. Lightly spray with Pam, then season - salt and pepper works well, but Old bay seasoning or dried Italian dressing mix are great too. Fire up the broiler. Broil the veggie skewers for 7 minutes a side. Serve.

OwlFancier posted:

Celery's horrible though, stays hard as hell whatever you do with it.

Take a vegetable peeler and peel the strings off the back of the stalk. It does a great job of helping it soften.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How can you hate celery? It must make 90% of all soups and sauces unpalatable for you, since it's an integral part of a mirepoix and that poo poo's in pretty much everything.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Sauté any veggie with bacon, it's awesome.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

PT6A posted:

How can you hate celery? It must make 90% of all soups and sauces unpalatable for you, since it's an integral part of a mirepoix and that poo poo's in pretty much everything.

To some people, like me, celery is really bitter and unpalatable. So there's that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jeza posted:

To some people, like me, celery is really bitter and unpalatable. So there's that.

Even when sauteed and in a sauce? I mean, celery is an ingredient in pretty much any sort of stock, soup, stew or sauce. That's gotta be a real fucker to avoid; I don't doubt that you don't enjoy the taste, I'm more saying I don't understand what you eat if celery ruins things for you.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guarantee you people who don't like celery aren't complaining about a proper mirepoix, but the tendency of moms to just throw raw celery on whatever because veggies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I love celery based sauces and will put celery seed in just about anything but raw celery tastes like satan's pubes.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I eat nothing but black beans and Annie's mac & cheese everyday and I'm strong as an Ox.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know liking raw celery was such a weird thing :saddowns:

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It`s possible to not cook and still eat healthy. I mostly eat raw fruit ,unsalted nuts and vegteables which require no work at all. For dinner i have boiled noodles, an egg plus some tomatos and raw carrots. Currently feeling fine and i never spend more than 3-5 minutes preparing a meal. I know it`s extremely unvaried but it seems to working for me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tendai posted:

I didn't know liking raw celery was such a weird thing :saddowns:

I use celery in mirepoix and creole cooking all the time and cannot loving stand the stuff raw so :shrug:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm honestly not much a fan of the flavor celery adds to a dish, cooked or raw. I put it in most things with my carrots and onions anyway, because one man cannot stand against centuries of french cooking, but whenever I'm just fixing something small for myself I leave that nasty poo poo out.

Besides, the true holy trinity of cooking is Onion, Garlic and fresh Rosemary. loving saute that poo poo in some olive oil and your whole kitchen fills up with the best smell ever. :eng101:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I'm from Michigan, so it was almost all corn, hay and sugar beets grown in the area back then. Grocery stores barely had a produce aisle back then but the last time I went home they all had rather big ones. Of course, the fresh stuff is all so expensive there that my family never could have afforded it even if it was available.

I've been living in France for several years now and I'm still discovering vegetables I've never heard of. There's a gigantic open market in this town every week full of tasty treasures and since the weather here is so mild the growing season is damned near year round for some things.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

PT6A posted:

Even when sauteed and in a sauce? I mean, celery is an ingredient in pretty much any sort of stock, soup, stew or sauce. That's gotta be a real fucker to avoid; I don't doubt that you don't enjoy the taste, I'm more saying I don't understand what you eat if celery ruins things for you.

It loses the bitterness when cooked, mostly. Incidentally I probably eat celery only a handful of times per year, and not because I am going out of my way to avoid it although obviously I don't buy it for myself. Sounds like you live somewhere with French culinary tradition which may be clouding your view a bit. I don't have a single thing in my fridge or cupboards that contains celery right now. I would probably use celery making a stock, and I see its place in some soups. Most sauces and stews, probably not. It's raw celery that tastes terrible to me anyhow.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Raw celery doesn't taste bitter to me, if anything it's a slightly soapy alkaline flavour.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Chas McGill posted:

Raw celery doesn't taste bitter to me, if anything it's a slightly soapy alkaline flavour.

IIRC it's got a milder version of the same thing going on as parsley does, where it has some special flavor that is perceived very differently by different people. The difference being parsley straight up does taste like soap shavings you're putting in your food and the sheeple are stumbling around under an illusion that it's good somehow.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Raw celery always has a certain freshness to the taste that I like. Sort of like green peppers without the sweetness. Wait, am I weird for eating those like apples? :ohdear:

Baudolino posted:

I mostly eat raw fruit ,unsalted nuts and vegteables which require no work at all.
This is also true. I eat vegetables and fruits raw like 90% of the time out of preference, since like my parrot I apparently prefer my produce crunchy, but it does work for laziness as well.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Raw celery smells so bad I've never been able to make myself try it, honestly. Crunchy plus smelling like a yard waste dumpster? No thanks, I'm good.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Khizan posted:

Raw celery smells so bad I've never been able to make myself try it, honestly. Crunchy plus smelling like a yard waste dumpster? No thanks, I'm good.

you should probably wash it after you pull it out of the dumpster, this goes for everything BTW not just celery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I feel like that's not really normal for any produce except like, durian :stare:

• Locked thread