Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kirsten Dunst has completely turned it around, not sure why she was so blah in episode 1 but right now I'm enjoying her performance more than Plemons and I kinda hope she ends up murdering him and becomes the focal point of the show or something.

Basically I hope she's this season's Lester Nygard. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

precision posted:

Kirsten Dunst has completely turned it around, not sure why she was so blah in episode 1 but right now I'm enjoying her performance more than Plemons and I kinda hope she ends up murdering him and becomes the focal point of the show or something.

Basically I hope she's this season's Lester Nygard. :getin:

Me too. I am enjoying watching her scheme and come a bit unraveled. As the season progresses, I hope she goes all :ese: on everyone. Ret-con that poo poo and let her stab little Molly.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
She's gonna fake seduce her manager and kill her.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Really hoping that their plotline spirals out of control and Fat Damon ends up murdering the Gerhardt's and the Kansas City crew just to continue trying to cover up Rye.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moltke posted:

Really hoping that their plotline spirals out of control and Fat Damon ends up murdering the Gerhardt's and the Kansas City crew just to continue trying to cover up Rye.

The midwest Jack and Diane couple ending up as the ultimate killing force of the season would be darkly hilarious.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i thought the two standoffs at the gerhardt house and with milligan and the kitchen brothers were cool as hell. i liked this episode.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

AbstractNapper posted:

I really liked that scene as an artsy thing the director thought of,, and in my mind they didn't actually have the dialogue at a different time.
I think it was quite nicely done; the actors were playing out that dialogue with body language and looks.

Yeah, I think it was a conversation that never really happened. It's just them communicating through their body language. It illustrates the husband's uneasiness and nervousness and the wife's naive confidence and reassurance to "her paladin." It was a really well done scene.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Didn't someone draw a map up earlier that had all the locations of whose who and from where? Like obviously the KC mob is in KC, the typewriter guy was in Fargo, etc.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

(all towns with major plot relevance in the franchise (so far))

Should probably go in the OP.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I do like how they poke a little fun at the swift boaters by Solverson saying: dude, I know exactly what FUBAR means, it's not an infantry exclusive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I said this the first week. Unless they've costumed/makeup-ed her that way, time has...not treated her very well.

Yeah gently caress her for looking like a normal person.

(Real talk though she's basically a demigoddess).

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Who in their right mind could think Dunst doesn't look amazing in this role? Blows my mind.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I love Kirsten Dunst, Virgin Suicides was great. She did some shlocky stuff with Spiderman and I didn't like that weird movie she did where she takes her shirt off and the moon crushes her, but I love my lil snaggletooth. Shes great so far IMO. My friend was telling me he doesn't like the cast because of her and meth damon, and apparently he doesn't like ted danson....... wtf. He likes the season, just "not the cast" whatever that means. I think so far things are about as perfect as we could have hoped, look at True Detective 2....

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Frostwerks posted:

She's gonna fake seduce her manager and kill her.

I could totally see that happening, she's the only one who knows that the card was damaged before the accident. NO LOOSE ENDS :black101:. And for another Breaking Bad comparison, it'll be a total Heisenberg move.

Also Dunst is still hot as hell, and I really like that she looks more like a normal person now. That shot when you see her chin get all ugly like us civilians :allears:.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Who in their right mind could think Dunst doesn't look amazing in this role? Blows my mind.

She's in her thirties and not half plastic. 1/10.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

So It Goes posted:

An interview with the creator. He also explains every goon's randomly favorite pet-peeve: split-screen.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-andy-greenwald-podcast-fargo-showrunner-noah-hawley-2/

It's really not a random pet peeve. He's misusing a technique that is commonly used for a very specific reason. Everything you do on the screen means something. If you zoom in on an object, we assume it's important to the story. If an actor is out of focus in the background, we assume he's not important.

If you show actor A taking a poo poo, and cut to actor B looking at a turd in a toilet, we assume that he's looking at the turd of A, and B is in the same place but at another time. The audience, unless given clues to the contrary, will assume that the second scene happens after the first scene, and the third scene will take place after that in the timeline of the narrative. For this exact reason, we also assume that two things that are shown simultaneously on screen is happening simultaneously in the narrative. Which is why split screens exist.

The interview is fantastic. He can't explain it himself. He claims it's used for catching up with several characters at once, so we don't forget about them, like in Game of Thrones. It has never been used like this in the episodes so far.

Then he reveals that it's something he does in editing, and the directors didn't know about this when they shot the footage, or were unwilling to shoot like this to accommodate his hack whims. Which explains why it looks so amazingly out-of-place. Apparently Keith Gordon, who directed episode 7 and 8, shot specifically with split screen in mind, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

And then he says "and it has the added benefit that it looks like a seventies film-making trope". gently caress you, Noah, you god damned hack. You are editing this like a bored receptionist designing a office party flyer with excessive clip art.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kampfbereit posted:

It's really not a random pet peeve. He's misusing a technique that is commonly used for a very specific reason. Everything you do on the screen means something. If you zoom in on an object, we assume it's important to the story. If an actor is out of focus in the background, we assume he's not important.

Because film-making is a science and is only good when a strict set of rules is applied to it?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

All you're doing is here is making yourself sound like some kind of mentally ill weirdo. Walk it off, dude, no one gives a gently caress.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kampfbereit posted:

If you show actor A taking a poo poo, and cut to actor B looking at a turd in a toilet, we assume that he's looking at the turd of A, and B is in the same place but at another time. The audience, unless given clues to the contrary, will assume that the second scene happens after the first scene, and the third scene will take place after that in the timeline of the narrative. For this exact reason, we also assume that two things that are shown simultaneously on screen is happening simultaneously in the narrative. Which is why split screens exist.

The interview is fantastic. He can't explain it himself. He claims it's used for catching up with several characters at once, so we don't forget about them, like in Game of Thrones. It has never been used like this in the episodes so far.

Then he reveals that it's something he does in editing, and the directors didn't know about this when they shot the footage, or were unwilling to shoot like this to accommodate his hack whims. Which explains why it looks so amazingly out-of-place. Apparently Keith Gordon, who directed episode 7 and 8, shot specifically with split screen in mind, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

And then he says "and it has the added benefit that it looks like a seventies film-making trope". gently caress you, Noah, you god damned hack. You are editing this like a bored receptionist designing a office party flyer with excessive clip art.

Why can't they just use split screen as a stylistic visual choice as opposed to a storytelling method? It's kind of unconventional, but who cares?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I enjoy the split screen because they're showing fairly simple scenes in them that don't require a huge amount of investment to understand before glancing at the next one. "Oh, those two are driving cool. That guy is also driving, neat."

Second season has so far suffered from not having Billy Bob, but it's otherwise still knocking it out of the park.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The split-screen parts have been pretty neat but now every time it gets used in the future I'm just going to remember it as "that thing that one goon got really mad about for no good reason."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Milligan and crew aren't going to gun down Lou.

Of course they aren't, the guy is alive and well in the first season. But despite this, those scenes with the Gerhardts and the Prog Rock group were not any less tense.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
AV Club had a video about it where they point out the similarities between Milligan's and the Gerhardts' confrontation with Lou. They both "end" with someone patting Lou, both crowd Lou and they both end with the victor leaving.

They're supposed to be juxtaposed, I think, because Lou win's the Gerhardt confrontation but loses the Milligan confrontation which gives the situation something of a hierarchy.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Who do you think is going to be the monster Lou talks about w/ Gus's daughter in season 1?

Also, the split screen is fine.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Its a shame Donovan seems one note so far dude has so much range.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crime family yo

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Who do you think is going to be the monster Lou talks about w/ Gus's daughter in season 1?

Also, the split screen is fine.

Perhaps Mike? He freaks me out in ways Lee Malvo did.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"I'll have a chocolate, and..." after tazing two thugs. :allears:

They're gonna kill off Betsy just to do it, aren't they? :(

e- I did not need to see his rear end, Fargo.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 3, 2015

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That rear end peaking out from below the screen was hilarious.

I think his fate is sealed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course she's secretly taking birth control bills.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Red Man" (have they called him anything other than that yet?) is a scary dude.

"He seemed real angry."

"Yeah, I got that part. Got any other Einstein insights you wish to contribute?"

e- Wow, FX might have had a very brief nip slip there. Been flirting with it for years.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 3, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I say, these law men are rather sharp

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh, Lou!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Loooootta butts this episode

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
My theory is butt = dead

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Well, Peggy's going rogue.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Don't worry Peggy, Sioux Falls is gonna make everything aaaaaaaaaalright...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Patrick Wilson is good as hell

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh god, what a scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Patrick Wilson is good as hell

Also, Ed and Peggy's plan is unraveling incredibly fast and they're gonna double down on it like a coupl'a morons, ya betcha.

• Locked thread