Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i had to play a 10k on tygem to get a win today

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

You could play me for the same result.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so i am now an officially rated aga player. but i dont understand what the ratings mean. help

my rating is -8.43801 and my sigma(?) is 0.81392

how do i find out what these numbers mean

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Negative numbers are kyu ratings, positive numbers are dan ratings, basically. So that'd make you 8-kyu, slightly closer to 7-kyu than 9. A +1.2 would be weaker end of 1-dan, +2.9 would be stronger end of 2-dan, etc. Sigma is basically a confidence rating and factors into the math of your rating changes after games. A higher sigma number = more uncertainty about rating and your rating will change quickly, as you play more games your sigma number will reduce and your rating will change more slowly.

Full write-up on AGA website if you want the nitty-gritty of it: http://www.usgo.org/files/pdf/AGARatings-Simple.pdf

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

so i am now an officially rated aga player. but i dont understand what the ratings mean. help

my rating is -8.43801 and my sigma(?) is 0.81392

how do i find out what these numbers mean

Sweet; I'm never going to get a rating.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
7k on kgs, still lose to 10ks on tygem. am i really sucking or are there just sandbaggers everywhere

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
my gf's goon-dad likes go a lot but has no one to play with, whats the policy on inviting non-SA forum members to the group?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

uranus posted:

7k on kgs, still lose to 10ks on tygem. am i really sucking or are there just sandbaggers everywhere

http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison would suggest that at the upper levels a tygem rating would be a better number than a KGS rating, but maybe things are different around 5-10k.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dirby posted:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison would suggest that at the upper levels a tygem rating would be a better number than a KGS rating, but maybe things are different around 5-10k.

well.. looks like 7k on kgs is still ddk pretty much everywhere else in the world... so that explains that i guess :'(

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

That page is old and outdated. Also Tygem kyu ranks are very eeeeeeeeeeeeeh

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 25, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
something happened in my brain just now and i suddenly give way fewer shits about my rank.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

CatAteSeven posted:

my gf's goon-dad likes go a lot but has no one to play with, whats the policy on inviting non-SA forum members to the group?
ITGO has quite a few non-goons.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uranus posted:

something happened in my brain just now and i suddenly give way fewer shits about my rank.

you reached rankvana

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Tell me so I can play more games :eyepop:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AdorableStar posted:

Tell me so I can play more games :eyepop:

well just looking at that chart i guess gave me the sense that my rank is meaningless and is only a vague indicator of the sort of range of people i should be playing against for a somewhat sort of even game. i mean, i guess i knew that already but, if my rank can vary so widely depending on who is measuring it, then it really does mean nothing.

my true rank is in my heart, and its 38d

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

CatAteSeven posted:

No problem, as Xom says, there's a bunch already. Friends of are totally welcome. Just ask someone in ITGO if there's anyone on who can add or just drop their username here and one of us can add them.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Two years ago to this today Oiseaux Morts 1994 created the gbs go thread. :toot:

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
Went to Cotsen, got curbstomped by 12 year old. Stomped old korean dude back. It's the circle of life!~

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i lost a game by 10 points when i felt sure i was ahead by about that much right up until counting. i was like, staring at the screen saying 'what?' and looking for some group that was scored wrong or something. i think its time to learn to count...

also i was drinking and watching football while playing on my phone in a bar, so that could be part of it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

uranus posted:

well.. looks like 7k on kgs is still ddk pretty much everywhere else in the world... so that explains that i guess :'(

I got up to like 13k on KGS but get kurbstomped on tygem constantly at 18k. it's cool to play better players but it would also be nice to win occaisionally.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i won a golden trophy, aww yah,

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, for 19th place. :lol:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I just won my first real game against a 3k. It was too fighty for me, but I lost 37 stones in a ko that happened because I messed up my life and death in 20 second byo yomi. I was still wining by like 40 pts because I captured 48 stones of his throughout the course of the game because we both had two weak groups each right next to each other in contact. :toot:

Eidogo for this crazy game http://eidogo.com/#1jQYqsuZ4

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 30, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
looky what i found

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

I just won my first real game against a 3k. It was too fighty for me, but I lost 37 stones in a ko that happened because I messed up my life and death in 20 second byo yomi. I was still wining by like 40 pts because I captured 48 stones of his throughout the course of the game because we both had two weak groups each right next to each other in contact. :toot:

Eidogo for this crazy game http://eidogo.com/#1jQYqsuZ4

K16 at move 58 was weird and basically a free move, I don't understand why you wasted it on M14. There's all the lower board for the taking

Nothing to add apart from that, that guy played some exceptionally weak poo poo for a 3k in a couple of moves

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

K16 at move 58 was weird and basically a free move, I don't understand why you wasted it on M14. There's all the lower board for the taking

Nothing to add apart from that, that guy played some exceptionally weak poo poo for a 3k in a couple of moves

Yeah, that was a pass move on dame but at least it became useful in the fight near move 110. D10 instead would have been big.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
From my game:

http://eidogo.com/#tH0g6ZO9:0,0

Black to play and ruin White's day (I missed the tesuji during the game)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i want to put some go problems on a coffee mug. what are your favorite problems?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

That one from problem #1 of the Xuan Xuan Qijing

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I made a new go thread in gibbis; let's try to get some new people again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749305

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar posted:

5) Ask for permission to join "ITGO", our private room from Khelly or anyone you know to be an ITGO member.
6) Once permission has been granted, you can join by going Rooms -> Room List, and double clicking ITGO under the "Social" tab.

Don't worry if you don't get an immediate response, someone should notice your request eventually. Try again at another time (evenings is best) if there's still nothing happening, or ask in the Ask/Tell Go thread. There is also an SA channel on OGS.
Tell them to request in the GBS thread itself??

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Tell them to request in the GBS thread itself??

I will correct this since I copy and pasted it and tried to change some of the outdated stuff.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
gbs is terrible. good luck with your sanity

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

gbs is terrible. good luck with your sanity

A lot has changed in two years.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AdorableStar posted:

A lot has changed in two years.

Yes, GBS got worse, apparently.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

uranus posted:

i want to put some go problems on a coffee mug. what are your favorite problems?

All of go

AdorableStar posted:

I made a new go thread in gibbis; let's try to get some new people again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749305

excellent i think the op is a little longwinded in terms of getting online and we should revise that section but i will be more present in KGS room to welcome anyone. also apologies for my drinking. actually why am i apologising through some proxy. apologies for me

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Apparently a pretty big game is going on now between Ke Jie and Lee Sedol for the Samsung Cup.

What's fun is that we actually have a stream with live English commentary!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Facebook made a baduk playing AI using deep neural networks and they're saying it's pretty good. Like 6d good, it beats every go playing playing program right now. I'm not sure if the hype is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Symbolic Butt posted:

Facebook made a baduk playing AI using deep neural networks and they're saying it's pretty good. Like 6d good, it beats every go playing playing program right now. I'm not sure if the hype is real.

Do you have a link?